Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

The Official War Z Info and Discussion Thread (Not Day Z)

Here’s a breakdown of features, taken verbatim from the press release:

• Big open worlds to explore between 200 to 400 square kilometers (Around 125 - 250 Miles)
    • Two modes of play: Normal and Hardcore (Permadeath)
    • Combination of first-person and third-person perspectives
    • Meld of PvE (player versus environment) and PvP (player versus player)
    • Strong Role Playing Elements
    • Multiple playable characters with customizable features
    • Unique social elements, including bounties, help requests, trap setting, etc.
    • Safe settlements where players can purchase, sell and store items as well as post notes for other players
    • Dozens of unique skills that can be learned and improved
    • Up to 250 players per game server
    • New weapons and items become available as players explore the game world
    • Full developer support with regularly scheduled, free content updates
    • Dedicated public servers as well as private servers that can be completely self-managed in game client
    • Single purchase, downloadable client with ability to play full game without subscriptions or requiring in-game transactions
    • It will be $30

Website and Beta registration - www.thewarz.com

Pics

Announcement Article

IGN Interview

What does Day Z's creator think of The War Z?

PC Gamer Interview

Apprentice

PSN ID
    toxic-nightmare
    The game looks cool, I would want to know more about it though but I already signed up for the beta!

| Diablo 3 battletag : Toxictemplar#1752 | PSN : Toxic-Nightmare | gamertag : Toxictemplar | Feel free to add me |

Friendship is Carrots
    Could we finally be getting the zombie game we've all wanted?
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

4. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Could we finally be getting the zombie game we've all wanted?
    Hopefully!
    I will be honest and admit it does sound too good to be true. It really isnt hard making a better looting and inventory system than Day Z. I will admit im very skeptical right since beta is very soon and the game apparently releases this year and we havent seen a single gameplay trailer.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    There is definitely a lot of room for a "walking dead" kind of MMO. I hope they get it right and get it fun.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    New info from the official forums

What makes The War Z different to DayZ?

sergeytitov
    I think that our biggest difference is that War Z is build around game world and concept that you HAVE to cooperate with other players to survive. If you go over list of features, most of them are not gameplay elem,ents - they're tools created for players to try different ways to interact with other players.
    And this is why I think it's unfair to compare those two products. Day Z team spent 90% time trying to put zombies into world of hardcore military sim. We spent 90% of time designing new ways for players to interact with each other in a world, and okay - this world happend to be zombie infested post apoc world
    Everything else - zombies, survival aspect, scavenging for food, etc - it's all there, but I don't think it'll matter if we won't deliver living breathing world and means for players to build their own game experiences.

So when can I pre-order The War Z?

sergeytitov
    we won't start pre orders until we're sure that game is very stable and fun and until you guys saw gameplay video, so you can make informed decision on if you want to buy game or not.
    Ie - we don't want to do "kickstarter" bs . We don't really need extra money to finish development, and we don't want to release product we're not proud of.
    Will it be available on Steam?

sergeytitov
    It should be available on both steam and directly from our website.
    We have not yet definitive agreement with Steam, but given fact that our previous game is available on Steam, I don't see why with War Z it'll be any different.
    Yet - yes Steam pricing will be probably different for US, EU, UK, etc users.
    How does zombie combat work?

sergeytitov
    You have to destroy their brain - by using either gun or hit their head with knife, baseball bat or any other melee weapon ( yes crowbars and hammers will be available ). If you shoot them in a body - you'll be able to slow them down and temporarily put them down.
    Eric Nordin: Our zombies are moving slightly slower than you - so with enough patience and enough stamina you can lose them, but it’s not easy to do. Still if you don’t have a gun or run out of ammo and there are zombies in pursuit, there’s a good chance you can lose them. Also, zombies can’t climb ladders or scale walls, open doors, etc – so you get inside a house and barricade the door and you should be safe.
    Will the Zombies movement be Fast or Slow?

sergeytitov
    Both.
    They limp walk, they trying to run, they crawl toward you.
    Different zombies, different animations, bodies, styles, etc...
    What kind of Chat System will there be in The War Z?

sergeytitov
    Chat channels :

- Global Server
    - Proximity chat ( people around you in around 100 meters radius )
    - Friends
    - Clan

We may add more.

What happens if you succumb to the Zombie Infection?

sergeytitov
    You just die.
    Will we be able to enter all the buildings?

sergeytitov
    No, you'll be able to enter only some of the buildings. As game going, we'll be adding more and more interiors. And no, there won't be any loading screen or anything when you're entering building
    Will we be able to build our own Fortifications?

sergeytitov
    This is one of the things we're working on right now.
    How will the in-game Marketplace and Currency (Dollars and Gold) work?

sergeytitov
    We use both in game currencies to basically kinda show value of the items - to set some expectations on how rare and valuable certain items are.
    And we expect players to use whatever they want as trade currency. Maybe you'll decide that twinkie bars will be your world currency. We don't really care.
    You can get both types of currencies by playing, but more important - you can find any single item in a world. Ie - we're not planning on having items that you can only buy in a store and not be able to find somewhere.

sergeytitov

1) You can't buy weapons
    2) You can't buy skills
    3) you can't buy good protective gear

Everything in markletplace will be sold for either DOLLARS - money that you find in a gameworld, or GOLD - currency you receive for selling harvested zombie stem cells. You can also buy GOLD using real world currency.
    70-80% of things in marketplace will be sold for DOLLARS, so uinless you play game alot, you won't be able to buy them anyway.
    Everything that is sold in marketplace is available for free in a game - things like food, water, etc.
    Reason for marketplace is simple - we just offering players more freedom - what they want to do in a game. Maybe they just want adventure, so they spend time killing zombies, hunting for bandits, etc. And they receive some in game currency for that, so they spend it to buy their food instead of spending time trying to find it in a world.

What kind of Weapons will there be in The War Z?

sergeytitov
    Melee weapons - several different items. Pretty common
    Crossbow - relatively common
    handguns - relatively common
    Shotguns - relatively common
    Civilian assault rifles like AR-15, semi auto M4, etc - relatively rare
    Civilian sniper rifles - relatively rare
    Military grade assault rifles - rare
    Military grade sub machine guns - rare
    Machine guns - very rare
    Military sniper rifles including .50 - extremely rare
    Cool assault rifles and SMGs - extremely rare
    grenade launchers, rocket launchers, grenades, mines - super extremely rare. I mean not just rare, but truly epic items.
    How many Weapons will we be able to Carry & Equip?

sergeytitov
    You can have two weapons eqipped in "hot slots" - ie something you can switch on fly. One slot is for rifles, crossbow, etc, other for either handgun or melee.
    You can cary as many as you like in your backpack as long as total weight is lower that max weight you can carry and there're free slots in backpack.
    Will there be incentive for players to cooperative with each other? And will there be a Reputation/Humanity Sytem?
    sergeytitov
    Your reputation will affect how other players react on you. It will affect how security forces of safe settlments react on you.
    So technically - YES you can kill everyone you can see, but then you may end up in situation that you'll be denied help by other players just because they don't like your reputation level. Once again - not because we said so, but because they just may decide that they don't want to help jerk.
    Will we be able to Farm and Hunt Animals?

sergeytitov
    You can't farm, hunt animals, etc in War Z. Not yet at least, not for release.
    Will my PC be able to run The War Z?

sergeytitov
    Here's simple test - go and try game War Inc. Battle Zone. It's F2P game so you won't need to pay anything. It uses same engine and have approximately same system requirements as War Z.
    Source - http://forums.thewarz.com/showthread...Extended-F-A-Q
    Last edited by HellsJester; 08-04-2012 at 01:04.

Master Sage
    Items User name style

Developer Interview

Also over 100,000 people registered for the closed beta.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    This sounds amazing. If it is as good as it sounds could be one of the greatest games ever made.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    More info from the official forums

Can Zombies climb Stairs?

sergeytitov
    they can navigate stairs, but not ladders

Will there be a way to tell how much Sound I'm making and how Visible I am?

sergeytitov
    Visibility, smell, sound are all part of the detection process and yes you'll have indicators that shows how visible or loud you're.
    Will we be able to build communities?

sergeytitov
    YES you'll be able to do that. You will be able to do that by taking over towns, settlements on the main map, or by owning specially designed server instanced "mini worlds", where you can do whatever you want and build your own fortress if you like.
    How will the Health System work?

sergeytitov
    Health bar and NO auto regeneration.
    Will there be Player driven Plots?

sergeytitov

There's a backstory of what happened in a world, and this story will be told to you as you progress thru game world. But other than that - this is your world now, your to rebuild or destroy.

How rare will Ammo be?

sergeytitov
    It'll be more rare than weapons itself. so I'll say it'll be pretty rare and valuable thing.

How will Character Creation work?

sergeytitov

Each character will come with selection of heads, upper body clothing, legs and boots.
    Unfortunately it's not super flexible system, but this is start. As game will gain popularity, we'll be able to add more advanced customization system.
    What are Safe Zones exactly?
    sergeytitov
    Safe zones will be like 3-4 per map. Ie - rare and far away from each other. They mostly serves as social hubs, for creating missions for other players, trade and transfer items from your backpacks to your "stash aka global inventory".
    They're protected but not entirely safe - nobody prevents bandit to snipe people in safe zones from far away, nobody prevents group of bandits attack settlement and kill everyone.
    Rest of the world, towns, villages, other settlements are for players to explore and claim their own.

Why will we initially spawn with a gun in Hardcore Mode?
    sergeytitov
    Why ? First of all we're not completely sure it'll be this way, but anyway you'll be able to find some sort of weapon ( even if it's just a knife ) close to your initial spawn.
    Why will we be locked out of the game for 24-48 hours if killed in Normal Mode? And what about death in Hardcore Mode?

sergeytitov

Lockdown period is still not final. We'll be testing during beta test. But I'm not sure why you think it's ridiculous ? Ie - you have 5 character slots, creating character is free, so you basically have 5 survival attempts in NORMAL mode per day. And you have unlimited survival attempts in hardcore mode since once you die your character will be deleted.

Our point is to make character IMPORTANT and valuable to you. Make sure that you're not like "who f%&k cares, I don't have anything except my backpack anyway, no stats, no progression, no reputation, so I don't care if I'll be killed".
    Will I be able to Switch from Third Person View to First Person View on the fly?
    sergeytitov
    Actually you can switch in realtime by just pressing key between TP and FP.
    When I reload will I lose my Clip & Any Bullets in it?
    sergeytitov
    It's actually dropping to the floor, not dissapears.

So you can drop full or partially full magazine to the ground - by reloading your gun or just drop it from inventory and somebody else can pick it up.
    Will there be Xbox 360 Controller Support?
    sergeytitov
    Xbox360 controller will be supported, yet it won't be super priority for us. So - it'll work from day one, but if it'll have some quirks, don't expect they'll be fixed overnight.
    Source - http://forums.thewarz.com/showthread...Extended-F-A-Q

Master Poster
    Items Solid SnakeKonami
    I tried DayZ and enjoyed it but I'm definitely be playing WarZ when it comes out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    $30? was kind of hoping it was F2P lol. If it gets good feedback I can see myself getting it.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    $30? was kind of hoping it was F2P lol. If it gets good feedback I can see myself getting it.
    It will most likely be on Steam so just wait for Steam sale if you dont feel like spending $30 on it. I think $30 is very reasonable for what sounds like a amazing game. Hopefully the gameplay trailer shows smooth animations and movement ,etc so i can pre-order it.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    toxic-nightmare
    They just had a gameplay video of the Alpha build with some Co-Op go up on gametrailers, looks pretty good to me!

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/u...co-op-gameplay
    or
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4dt_3kKInA

| Diablo 3 battletag : Toxictemplar#1752 | PSN : Toxic-Nightmare | gamertag : Toxictemplar | Feel free to add me |

Thread Information