Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

"SOCOM's not done" says Shuhei Yoshida

President of Sony’s Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida has said “never say never” when asked about the future of the SOCOM franchise.

Speaking to the American Official PlayStation Magazine (not us) he was asked if SOCOM was “done as a franchise”. In reply he said, “It’s not done. We never retire any franchise” before pointing out the recent Sly Cooper rebirth and saying, “it’s sometimes good to have a fresh look at the franchises we have”.

As far as the closure of Zipper Interactive in March this year, he said it was “a very difficult decision and thing to deal with”.
    via Official PlayStation Magazine.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Soldier 95B
    Music to my ears!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Hooray!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

PSN ID
    Royals26
    Items AppleBattlefield 3Dice
    Socom 2 HD please!

5. Likes John25 likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    next one, be it a legacy title, HD remakes, confrontation 2 or socom 6, if it does not resemble socom 1/2 it will die out like socom socom 4 did.

i guess the president of the world wide studios also knows that, people want a socom 1 or 2! simple as that

when i checked active online stats for confrontation and socom 4, confrontation has more active players than socom 4...that really says something about the abomination zipper developed and slapped a socom title on it

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Watch, Act of Valor.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    next one, be it a legacy title, HD remakes, confrontation 2 or socom 6, if it does not resemble socom 1/2 it will die out like socom socom 4 did.

i guess the president of the world wide studios also knows that, people want a socom 1 or 2! simple as that

when i checked active online stats for confrontation and socom 4, confrontation has more active players than socom 4...that really says something about the abomination zipper developed and slapped a socom title on it
    I would be surprised if the franchise doesn't go back to its roots.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Superior Member

I actually think an HD remake could be something they look into. It wouldn't be as costly an investment and they could gauge if they want to continue the franchise on the PS4. I would be hard pressed to say they should release a full game again on the PS3 without revisting these games first. If the sales are there...they see activity..then they know they just need to get the formula right. There is little room in the shooter market for a game with sub-standard sells and I think they would be wise in doing a remaster of 1 and 2 and possibly 3.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post

I happen to find SOCOM 4 to be substantially better. I just think that people in general have moved on from the franchise because better shooters have come out. Much better than s1 and s2 and on. There are not as many veterans like us that care. Though I have been playing it since day one, I find the current one the absolute best one. To bad it never had a population because nobody cared to try anymore

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    I'd like a sequel to Unit 13. The first one was an underrated gem if you ask me.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    People asked for Zipper to return after Confrontation. Then you got this mess named Socom 4. Can't see how they can improve the game and take it back to its core roots. As with almost all game developers/Publishers today you want it to reach casuals. Or better yet... just COD-like. Good news to the fans none the less I suppose.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    That's cool to me!

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    People asked for Zipper to return after Confrontation. Then you got this mess named Socom 4. Can't see how they can improve the game and take it back to its core roots. As with almost all game developers/Publishers today you want it to reach casuals. Or better yet... just COD-like. Good news to the fans none the less I suppose.
    thats the thing, socom does not need to be like any of those shooters to sell, it needs to be SOCOM! unadulterated hardcore 3rd person shooter that's fast paced with recoil on the weapons and a proper CROSSHAIR! for crying out loud lol. everything is unlocked from the start and the players dictated the game, not the other way around....that was socom! the thinking mans game, whether you were a rusher or a camper, it all had a strategy to it (the vets know how to attack each play style)

man just tweak confrontation engine because slant 6 actually laid a better foundation for the online portion of confrontation with limited budget than zipper did with sony fully backing them with socom 4

Soldier, you're probably the only vet that i know of that enjoys (enjoyed) socom 4! the game was everything the socom community didnt want. i mean you couldnt even use the games ambient/surrounding sounds to make out were enemies where. lol they had to use grenade indicators to alert you of the location where one landed rather than using the 7.1 surround sound. or the exclusion of round based games in favor of respawn LMAO

i swear a socom player can play any of these FPS and be amongst the best but a CODish player can not play socom and hang with the best! thats how i like my games.

confrontation: 99 rating without ranking up, 1,000 hours and counting (in non respawn rooms), 2:1 KDR (52k kills and 30k deaths). a broken game but a game that beats any FPS that i've played this generation (except rainbow six vegas and i cant wait for counter strike: GO)

release date (2008 ) confrontation active players: 100,560
    release date (2011) socom 4 active players: 100,360

i think they get the point now, i'm pretty sure if the old socom servers were still online, there will be more players on there (lol not really)
    Last edited by YoungMullah88; 08-01-2012 at 02:54.

15. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    swordfish64
    I want either a Socom HD, or Socom 2 HD remake and or a Combined Assault 2 or Confrontation 2. Slant Six were close with Confrontation, but didn't reach the level of the PS2 Socom games because character movement was to slow and OTS mechanic was unnecessary and finally lack of user created ranked rooms.Zipper got the speed of the character movements right in Socom's 4, and the graphics were great, but they messed up by not having user created ranked rooms and moved away from the classic shooting mechanics that made the PS2 Socom's and Confrontation better. Any new Socom game needs to have the PS2 or Confrontation shooting mechanics, fast character movement of the PS2 Socom's and must have user created ranked rooms. Also we need Socom's classic view from the PS2 games including ability to zoom into a first person camera without the OTS garbage view that Confrontation and Socom 4used. All in all this is very good news and I'm super excited at the prospect of having Socom back. For now I'll continue to play Socom 4 and Confrontation until we actually get a new Socom title as any Socom game, including Confrontation and Socom 4 are way better than any other shooter this generation in my honest opinion.

Soldier 95B
    God no, no HD remake. I can just pop my disk in and play it if I want.

Soldier, you're probably the only vet that i know of that enjoys (enjoyed) socom 4! the game was everything the socom community didnt want. i mean you couldnt even use the games ambient/surrounding sounds to make out were enemies where. lol they had to use grenade indicators to alert you of the location where one landed rather than using the 7.1 surround sound. or the exclusion of round based games in favor of respawn LMAO

You are probably the only person I have heard say that I am the only vet that enjoys S4. We vets are all still in the official forums and our community loves it. Though our SOCOM community in general is a drop in the bucket these days now that people have moved on to twitch shooters like COD and Halo. Most of us have thoroughly enjoyed S4 and want more of it.

As for ambient/surrounding sounds, they were ACES in S4. That is one of the things that helped us do such a good job on the stealth missions with 45. ROFL

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    swordfish64
    I prefer Socom 4 over Confrontation due to its faster movement speed. As for a HD collection, Sony is shutting down the Socom servers for all of the PS2 Socom's as well as for the PSP Socom's at the end of this month, so I think an HD collection with online multiplayer and single player campaign trophies would be a huge hit.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    As a SOCOM game SOCOM 4 was horrible. Pretending it was just some other army game, it was alright.

Also saying SOCOM 4 is better then SOCOM 2 is blasphemy

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Superior Member
    If the brand continues in the direction of SOCOM 4, it sure as hell could die. At least among the long-time fans.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    and the ones that they are trying to cater to, jumps from game to game! unless they plan on releasing a socom game every year, i think they should stick with what "worked in the past" what made people dub the game Socrack!

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    As a SOCOM game SOCOM 4 was horrible. Pretending it was just some other army game, it was alright.

Also saying SOCOM 4 is better then SOCOM 2 is blasphemy
    Anyone saying that is on Bath Salts!!!! :P
    Last edited by John25; 08-02-2012 at 23:44.

23. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    believe me there are people saying that

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    swordfish64
    SOCOM 2 = Best online shooter ever
    SOCOM 4 is an awesome game as well that could have been a whole lot better if it had retained some of the better features of previous Socom's. But in no way is S4 better than Socom 2 except for graphics.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    I don't even understand how Socom 4 is considered a decent game. It was flawed from the jump. I bought it at launch (Thanks for the deal Toys'Rus) But I didn't even get to see let alone play that map unlocked with the pro pack. Was a chore trying to play with friends.

It was just a really bad game. I'd rather play Halo or Gears of War. And mind you, I hate both of them. That's an indictment for yo ass! Just like MW3, MW2 and the Halo series... Socom 4 should be stricken from the record books! Ugh! Trash!

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    if it wasn't a SOCOM title it would be a Decent Run 'N' Gun TPS, but The Truth is it does not play like a Socom title theres no tactical play what so ever in the Maps cause the Maps are not designed for Tactical play I played it the other day o& The Bridge map was just a nade fest. and the Dock map was just as bad with Nade Launchers it was like playing TPS CoD.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    PhillyPhreak
    Well, Zipper closed down earlier this year so another studio will have to continue the series. I gave up on the series a long time ago because Zipper ran it into the ground with poor sequels. I hope Sony can find a studio talented enough to return the series to its roots (S1 and S2) because I would love to see a revival.

"PS1994"- #4ThePlayers

Thread Information