Elite Sage

Trials Evolution is the Xbox 360′s Little Big Planet

I love this game. Definitely one of the best XBLA released this generation.
    Thanks to titles like Little Big Planet, and Mod Nation Racers, it seems as if Sony has cornered the market on creative gaming. Thankfully, Trials Evolution is here, giving Xbox owners an incredible community of creative minded players, all building experiences that make Trials Evolution a game with no finish line.
    Trials Evolution is the sequel to Red Lynx’s popular XBLA title, Trials HD. The first game in the series set the stage for Evolution, as both titles feature an amazing physics system, and implement a basic control scheme – easy to pick up, impossible to put down. The Trials games are platformers disguised as motor-sports titles. Each level tasks players with navigating a series of treacherous obstacles that grow increasingly difficult as the game goes on. In the case of Trials Evolution, the moment the single player campaign is over, the real fun begins.

Trials Evolution contains a very powerful level editor, on par with games like Little Big Planet. You can tweak just about every aspect of the game, from the camera, to the physics, to the bike, and it makes for some truly awesome community made levels. There are plenty of traditional “Trials” levels, you’ll race through tributes to movies and other games, (there’s a really well done tribute to Portal 2, and I highly recommend it.) However, there are also plenty of levels that have absolutely nothing to do with motorcycles. Players have taken the camera off the rails, and made full 3D games, such as flight simulators and first person shooters.
    Interestingly, the horror genre has sort of blossomed in Trials Evolution, players have created fully functional tributes to Amnesia, as well as their own frightening creations.

I’ve played both Little Big Planet and Trials Evolution extensively, and while LBP may seem like the king of creative, I tend to disagree. Both titles have powerful level editors that allow players to create entirely new experiences, both are essentially platforming games, and both have communities filled with dedicated players. Why does Trials have the edge? Its all in the physics. Little Big Planet has always had issues with physics, something about the way Sackboy handles, its far from being broken, its just not perfect. Trials on the other hand feels incredible to control, even poorly designed levels can be fun thanks to the level of feel and control you have over the bike.
    Trials Evolution is one of the best experiences on Xbox Live Arcade – but be warned, the soundtrack is not the best, specifically the intro songs, are a bit rough on the ears. This is my only fault with an otherwise perfect title.
    http://iamvideogames.com/trials-evol...le-big-planet/

Extreme Poster
    Moved thread to Microsoft forum.
    Thanks to Kwes for the signature!

"As long as there are dreamers who have the courage to pursue their dreams, the world will have heroes. And as long as there is a thirst to discover the unknown, there will be new stories to tell...and new adventures to be had."

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I dont make the connection. When I look at this game I definitely dont think of LBP or MNR. More like ATV Offroad or something like that.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    I dont make the connection. When I look at this game I definitely dont think of LBP or MNR. More like ATV Offroad or something like that.
    The creative aspects of those two games show up in this game.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Try the full game some time. You can create worlds like you can in LBP. This game however has less of a casual feel to it than LBP.

Both are great though.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Try the full game some time. You can create worlds like you can in LBP. This game however has less of a casual feel to it than LBP. Both are great though.
    Oh ok. I'll have to check it out then.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    The creative aspects of those two games show up in this game.
    Ok gotcha. I thought it might have been something like that.

Soldier 95B
    Trials campaign pales in comparison to LPB though. Granted, the price difference is drastic, so it's understandable.

Thread Information