Forum Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

The Old Republic goes free-to-play this autumn

Update:
    The free-to-play model will launch in November, EA announced during an earnings call.Also revealed was that subscribers have dropped down to below one million.Original story: Star Wars: The Old Republic is adding a new free-to-play option this autumn, publisher EA and Bioware have announced.The new option will allow players to take on each of the eight character classes up to level 50. Currently it's free-to-play only until level 15.There will be some restrictions on access to new content and advanced player features, though some of the restrictions will be unlockable via a new system of virtual currency called Cartel Coins. These can be used towards purchasing valuable items, customisable gear and convenience features.The alternative is a subscription model catered towards players who want unrestricted access. Redeemable through an ongoing auto-payment system or through purchasing Game Time Cards, this premium service gives players access to all the game's content, just as it is now. Subscribed players will also receive a monthly payout of Cartel Coins to boot.To prepare players for the upcoming model change, The Old Republic will go on sale for $14.99 in August and include a free one month subscription.Additionally, current players will receive a smattering of rewards based on how long they've been playing leading up to launch. For every month played prior to today, they'll receive 150 Cartel Coins, while each month played between 1st August and the free-to-play launch garners another 200-250 Cartel Coins based on whether they're a subscriber or not.GM of BioWare Austin Matthew Bromberg explained the restructuring. "Players want flexibility and choice. The subscription-only model presented a major barrier for a lot of people who wanted to become part of The Old Republic universe."Executive producer Jeff Hickman added, "We believe we are in a position to help improve the service even more, not only by continuing to add new content, but also by expanding the game to many more Star Wars fans, increasing the populations on worlds and the vibrancy of the community."
    Source

I'm not surprised at all really, it was a good game but it was only that, good. It had nothing spectacular about it and i felt no need to go back and renew my subscription. Infact i think me and about 10 of my friends all decided not to renew and just quit after the first month.

I may go back in and give my character (Sith Sorcerer) a little more love once it is F2P.

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Hell Yea been waiting for this to go Free to Play!!!

Another Reason Why PC will always be Superior to Console Gaming with so Many Free 2 Play games IMO.

Forum Sage
    For free2play it will be worth it! It could be worth buying now whilst it's cheap cause they may change the price back to 40 once it is F2P. But yeah, the dwindling player count and what feels like empty servers killed this game. It was a good single player game within a MMO setting. Not a good mix.

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    For free2play it will be worth it! It could be worth buying now whilst it's cheap cause they may change the price back to 40 once it is F2P. But yeah, the dwindling player count and what feels like empty servers killed this game. It was a good single player game within a MMO setting. Not a good mix.
    tbh I haven't really kept up with it but I love Star Wars so will defo be playing it alot (didn't have the Funds spare to pay for a Sub) I liked the Star Trek MMO too.

Elite Guru
    I really enjoyed SW:ToR but low population on servers made it not really justifiable for me to continue paying a subscription.

Hope the F2P model saves it, seemed like it was capable of being more than just 'good'.

Obligatory Tapatalk Signature

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Is this KOTOR?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Is this KOTOR?
    Unfortunately not. These assholes decided to cash in on the world of MMO to forego KOTOR 3. That seemed to work out well. Still holding out hope for KOTOR 3 for next gen.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

8. Likes Bravo9zero likes this post

Thread Information