Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Twisted Metal sold 'fine', was 'not a dud', says Jaffe

Last year's Twisted Metal reboot "sold fine," says creative director David Jaffe. "Not a dud, not a hit," he adds. "It was not a mega blockbuster or even a big hit (was it even a 'hit'?...not sure what is in between 'dud' and 'hit' but I think TM PS3 falls into that category)." He stops short of offering any specific sales numbers, but notes, "I hope Sony will be satisfied that it made a decent investment in the game and in us."

It's unclear how large of a financial investment Sony made in the Twisted Metal reboot, but it apparently wasn't enough to keep Jaffe's Eat Sleep Play studio from facing cuts following the launch last year. Jaffe himself also left the company; he is now pursuing free-to-play games.

Jaffe also outlines eerily specific plans for another Twisted Metal franchise entry, saying it'd be digital-only and aggressively truncated. "But again, this is just me pie in the sky thinking out loud," he notes. "None of this is planned." Mmmmhmmmm, Mr. Jaffe. We've heard that song before.
    via Joystiq.

I wouldn't mind seeing another Twisted Metal.

2. Likes DeviousOne , RaY_210 likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    VGChartz has their guestimation at 520,000.

Soldier 95B
    This game was dud, face it Jaffe.

Elite Guru
    I never purchased because it took so bloody long to come to the EU and wasn't a smooth launch.

Between the NA and EU release, my Twitter feed was often full of Jaffe talking about various online issues. I will credit him for working so hard to get Twisted Metal to a better state but the fact is, it put me off big time. I try and avoid buying into broken games. A lost sale.

Obligatory Tapatalk Signature

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Didn't buy it because of the cuts to all of EU instead of just Germany, though will eventually get it.

Doubt it was a flop either, the game probably broke even almost instantly and I didn't expect it to sell millions. Gamers these days are less appreciative of anything outside of FPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

7. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Is the online a ghost town now?

Apprentice
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    I never bothered with this game. I didnt really look into it much to be honest. I remember when it was released but i had my hands full with a few other games then so this game i just never got round to at all.

To the people that played this game, was it any good???

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    I enjoyed it. Not a huge online gamer, but had some problems at first. But I still played online some and it was fine. Haven't checked it out lately. Been into FFVII the past month or so. But I wasn't disappointed with it. Scratch that, the only thing I was disappointed with was that there wasn't a storyline for each character/vehicle like in the past. But overall, its a good tough game.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    This game was dud, face it Jaffe.
    Exactly. If it wasnt a dud then he wouldn't have felt the need to reassure everybody (including himself) that it wasnt.

Apprentice
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Would this game be worth renting out for a few days or a week or so maybe???

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I thought this game was giant turd. I think it was a dud for sure.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    Quote Originally Posted by Henrik07 View Post
    Would this game be worth renting out for a few days or a week or so maybe???
    That would be your best bet. Check it out to see what you think of it. But it does use an online pass I believe.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I like it. I'm an old skool TM fan and I think it's cool. It doesn't need to be a blockbuster, just another flavor to my PS3 game smorgasbord. When I want some fun, frantic and dark car combat, it's the perfect fix. I love the diversity in my collection.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I had it for free and didn't even keep it.

Soldier 95B
    The thing that really surprised me was that this was the CLIFFHANGER at E3 for the big reveal. Yet it ended up being a Haze.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Being a fan of the series, i found it to be a whole lot of fun that stayed true to its name. Disappointed that it didn't become a hit which means there probably won't be another installment.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

19. Likes RaY_210 likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by mooninites View Post
    Being a fan of the series, i found it to be a whole lot of fun that stayed true to its name. Disappointed that it didn't become a hit which means there probably won't be another installment.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah it definitely did the TM series justice. I don't mind so much of there isn't a sequel, I'm just happy to have a current gen TM game.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Online pass killed the game, Multiplayer was their biggest seller here and Sony ruined it. I'm sorry but it's true.

Originally the game was going to be a downloadable title(Maybe $15-20), but Sony decided to turn it into a full retail $59.99 game - That's where they started screwing up. Jaffe had limited time to get a campaign together and while the gameplay and story felt like your good ol' Twisted Metal game, it wasn't as diverse as previews installments as you only saw the story of a few characters.

Now back to multiplayer, I haven't even touched it because I don't want to pay to access Online(My brother was the first to play it and ended with disappointment due to multiplayer issues which were resolved like over a month or so later). That's where the game takes the piss, those waiting for the game to drop prices(Because it shouldn't have been a full retail price) will eventually get it used but won't experience half of what Jaffe and his team worked on unless of course you pay the fee.

This is why I'm so against Online Passes because it prevents a potential fan base for your games. They're literally going to kill off their franchises that way. While it might be working for EA with most of their games, Sony is in zero position to do this.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    Online pass killed the game, Multiplayer was their biggest seller here and Sony ruined it. I'm sorry but it's true.
    I liked the single player better...
    “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”― Oscar Wilde

Veteran
    PSN ID
    SomaXD
    Items PhotoShopPhotoshopAssassins Creed EzioKillzone 3Guerrilla GamesNaughty DogRaidenNoctisiPhone BlackVitaDeath NoteFinal Fantasy VII
    LOL Jaffe is a hack... ive said it before, but the dude is all talk. hes not had a single hit or decent FULL AAA game since gow on the PS2 (is that really his only claim to fame?) and seriously... like Fon said... 60$ for a 5$-10$ PSN title was ludicrous... Twisted Metal failed... and he cant admit it.

For a guy who talks so much $#@! about every other game out there, he sure cant produce anything worthwhile...

seriously, moving on to F2P games? might as well put in an application with Zynga if all hes going to make are $0.99 cent iPad games. Other than Devs and Publishers (microtransactions go!)... who the hell wants F2P games? Name one AAA F2P game. Theres no such thing... theyre all $#@!ty B rated titles.
    Vanik Tetsu'ya
    PS4 500GB//PS3 MGS4 80GB//PS3 120GB Slim//360 250GB Slim//360 4GB Slim w/Kinect//Black Wii 4.3u softmod//PS Vita w/32gb card

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Not big on multiplayer and the general consensus is that Twisted Metal was built for it and the story mode was weak, so I passed. If it had more SP contend I may have checked it out...

It happens, not every game can be massive, and some games and IPs grow stale and the market isn't interested in them anymore

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    This game was basically just a PS1 game converted to HD which is why it failed. The gameplay was stale and there was nothing new or engaging about it. Also did anyone actually think the storyline was cool? Cause I think it was messed up how they could get away with some of the stuff like a homicidal clown butchering little girls.

I managed 10 minutes of the demo before turning it off and never looking at it again.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I always preferred Vigilante 8 for soem reaon.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-02-2012 at 13:11.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    I played it and it sucked.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    This game was basically just a PS1 game converted to HD which is why it failed. The gameplay was stale and there was nothing new or engaging about it. Also did anyone actually think the storyline was cool? Cause I think it was messed up how they could get away with some of the stuff like a homicidal clown butchering little girls.

I managed 10 minutes of the demo before turning it off and never looking at it again.
    What do you mean by "they could get away with it"?

Thread Information