Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Wow, how so many people interpreted that as crudely saying 'better graphix = better game'
    Not even the case....

And I do agree emotions are not portrayed well enough for you to care about the characters and what they are going trough. It's something that a certain company I dare not mention has spoken on being their goal for a certain franchise.

Dedicated Member
    nique and genre-bending games like Journey, for example, aren't easy to come by, but in order for this industry to truly reach the next level and expand into new genres, pure photorealism is needed
    No one is missinterpreted what he said. As the quote I have posted he uses Journey (a game that is far from photorealism) and is speaking on genre-bending games in which emotion has nothing to do with. I think that he himself did not do a good job of explaining what he means or don't know what he means. Games like MGS have done a great job of connecting you emotionally to the characters without the need for photo realistic graphics anyway. So has Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. Photo realism and expanding into new genres as he stated are not conencted. He should have said that "photorealism is needed too truly trigger an emotional reaction from the player" and not about needing it for genre-bending games.
    Last edited by DarkNemesis; 08-03-2012 at 01:37.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by davin_g View Post
    Maybe I missed a post but I think the developer is not talking about what most here are talking about. What he is implying is that we need photorealism to appreciate the emotions and proper connectedness to the characters in video games to have new genres or new types of games.
    True that photo-realism would create a stronger connection between gamers and their characters, but I don't see how that would create new genres altogether.
    Last edited by gangsta_795; 08-03-2012 at 02:45.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

4. Likes podsaurus likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    All the dedicated servers are still there. They are just lost in all the new publicly made servers. If you go to filter and type in the dedicated server name, the entire list of those servers pop up. Those are the only ones I use. The name escapes me right now. You just need to type in the first few letters. They just need to change the ui so that you can choose them easier from a drop down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Are you referring to the premium servers?. Because I don't have any of the maps listed for them. Unless I know what servers you're referring to(I've tried searching for them both on BF3 and online with no luck); then I won't really be able to enjoy the game unless I'm lucky enough to find a well balanced match.

Master Guru
    If photorealism was that important i wouldn't have bought a Wii. If a game is fun it's fun. That's all that really matters to me.

Sure graphics offer a lot in terms of immersion and atmosphere but they only go so far. If a game has bad gameplay it doesn't matter how good it looks.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by gangsta_795 View Post
    True that photo-realism would create a stronger connection between gamers and their characters, but I don't see how that would create new genres altogether.
    I think what I'm getting at and what he was perhaps getting at was that to create unique gaming experiences and new genres (or game types) you need that emotional and realistic gaming environment to help gamers believe and invest in the story...and thus the developer could then keep you entertained in a new way...other than running, jumping, punching, shooting, driving etc. Take a game like Heavy Rain....its totally unique...it doesn't really have a genre...and what makes it successful because really...it almost isn't even a game...but a story...an interactive story if you will...what makes it successful is how invested in the characters and immersed in their life/story you become. It is very hard....takes talented writing...and realistic type settings/acting to pull players in and make it a successful venture in the gaming world. Well with current graphics that is hard to do...it would be almost impossible to have say a real romance in a game...where you fall in love with a character because well..they don't look real...like a human. How many movies have you seen where you feel rejection when the lead is shot down...or turned on looking at an actress or think what the character is thinking...or laugh at the antics....well those are really really hard to portray and hard for gamers to connect in a game because we don't see an actual person...just a cartoon if you will...the closer we get to life like...and setting the more variety in subject matter and game types we will see. I think that is what he is saying. That photo-realism will eventually lead to like 4D gaming if you will. Total emersion and total sensory connection to the game...and that will open up all sorts of possibilities of what a game can do...

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    I disagree. Prince of Persia fan, loved the artistic approach to the one out a few years ago. Same withe borderlands. Neither of those are photorealistic. I'm replaying dmc3 right now and having a blast and it looks like $#@!. You will never get photorealism on an interaction level of a game. Still photos might look good but you can always see something is off in motion. A texture, a shadow, the finest nuance of movement will shatter the illusion. Instead of investing in photorealism invest in gameplay and mechanics. Graphics are pretty good now, I can live with this graphical quality now easily if they make fun games.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Dedicated Member
    Gaming is only suitable for action and FPSs now? Games must be photo realistic to emotionally move a gamer? Those have to be the most ignorant comments I think I've EVER heard a dev make. EVER.

EVER.

EVER.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Versus View Post
    Gaming is only suitable for action and FPSs now? Games must be photo realistic to emotionally move a gamer? Those have to be the most ignorant comments I think I've EVER heard a dev make. EVER.

EVER.

EVER.
    I kind of took that a little bit too. I agree there are great games out there pushing boundries and have found ways to evoke emotions and push the lines without having to be photo-realistic. Personally when I was playing Heavy Rain...I was sweating and my heart pounding at times knowing what was on the line. Now that game had some great graphics and with mopar I think we are getting closer on movements and fluidity of games to draw you in...but its the subtle things like texture of skin, hair, eyes, and mouthes that I think will help them make this jump. Of course that was just one such game for me....I'm sure there are people that feel that way about several games...even ones on ps2 and so on.

In the end it is the developers choice of story line and arc and injecting great writing and scenes to evoke emotions and push boundaries....but two few have these skills and even fewer have the money and backing to do it.

Thread Information