Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 5
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I haven't read any of this thread at all -- but has anyone actually taken into account the fact that Origin has grown extensively over the past year and that PC Gamers now pay EA directly without any middlemen for a lot of its PC products?
    I think everyone takes that into account.
    This is revenue, not profit, also, which means middle man, its "money in" to the company. Given you already pay for PC games at considerably less cost, I'm not convinced of the argument that PC is simply up there because they get a bigger slice.
    They clearly do, but on the other hand, compare the PC space without deferred revenue..

38% of EA's actual money of games sold is on PC.
    22% on Xbox.
    17% on PS3.

It all means zero of course if you cant turn a profit. Which EA didnt do this 1/4.

They write to much in a deffered income, then have to write it out again when their games get sold at a lower price.

Think of it like this.

EA sell 2 million copies of Battlefield into stores, they recieve money for these games, but they only sellthrough 1 million units.

They have a 1 million copies (say $35 each) they recieved from the like of Game Stop etc. Thats $35 million they have, but ar ehoping to sell in the future/

So that get written down as -350 million.

Then they stuff it all up by deciding to drop the price of games, strategically to garner a few more sales, say half price.

They have to pay back $175 million (usualyy in form of rebates or credit)
    This comes back and bites them in the butt next 1/4.
    This is that collosal $464 million in changes in deffered revenue that they wrote of last 1/4.

Compare their deffered revenue in PC gaming....it's half what it is on the Xbox and PS3.

In other words, digital copies dont garner deffered revenue. A digital copy sold.Is just that. Straight to the consumer.
    A retail product sold is actually a liabilty.

Thats why the industry wants to go digital. Not to screw the 2nd hand market over.
    Last edited by mynd; 08-09-2012 at 03:02.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by MacP View Post
    We really shouldn't be using EA as a benchmark anyway.
    A benchmark for what? Sales? EA sells a huge quantity of games on PS3, 360 and PC. I would imagine no publisher sells more product on those platforms, other than maybe Ubisoft? For sales (which is what the thread is about), it seems like a good benchmark.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    A benchmark for what? Sales? EA sells a huge quantity of games on PS3, 360 and PC. I would imagine no publisher sells more product on those platforms, other than maybe Ubisoft? For sales (which is what the thread is about), it seems like a good benchmark.
    And activision
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    At the end of the day EA is making more than us all combined! SMH LOL

now if you want to get into which developer makes more then my friend that would be a new thread

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Master Guru
    It doesn't surprise me that EA is making more money off of the 360 than the PS3 this generation.

Since the 360 released first Microsoft obviously has the bigger market share and that leads to more money on the 360 platform.

I think it's safe to say that if the PS3 had released first EA would be making even more money on the PS3 platform than they're currently making on the 360 platform due to the popularity of the PS brand in the previous generations.

Oh well, Sony will regain their crown next generation with the PS4.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    It doesn't surprise me that EA is making more money off of the 360 than the PS3 this generation. Since the 360 released first Microsoft obviously has the bigger market share and that leads to more money on the 360 platform. I think it's safe to say that if the PS3 had released first EA would be making even more money on the PS3 platform than they're currently making on the 360 platform due to the popularity of the PS brand in the previous generations. Oh well, Sony will regain their crown next generation with the PS4.
    The userbase numbers of both consoles are so close (and have been for awhile) that none of what you said should even matter anymore.

Forum Overseer
    Considering 360 caters better to the western audience, EA being a western company and PS3 being about half in hardware sales here (last time I checked), 292 vs 267 is not that bad. That's complimenting the PS3 indirectly.

Supreme Veteran
    The 360 has come a long way from last generation...
    Gaming on all platforms right now.

9. Likes Omar likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by A7MAD View Post
    The 360 has come a long way from last generation...
    Absolutely.....did a whole 180 bewteen their consoles

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    It doesn't surprise me that EA is making more money off of the 360 than the PS3 this generation.

Since the 360 released first Microsoft obviously has the bigger market share and that leads to more money on the 360 platform.
    from 2009 when 360 probably had a bigger market share.

just as big a surprise is the fact that the publisher’s PS3 returns far outstripped those coming from Microsoft’s Xbox 360.
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps3-o...box-360-for-ea

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    from 2009 when 360 probably had a bigger market share.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/ps3-o...box-360-for-ea
    We'd have to look at how big the market share difference was back then to what it is now. PS3 was outselling the 360 for quite a little while right around 2009 so it's possible that those profits come from that interval.

Thread Information