Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover

Human Immortality Could Be Possible by 2045...

Getting your brain transplanted into a robot body? Sounds creepy as hell...

If Dmitry Itskov's 2045 initiative plays out as planned, humans will have the option of living forever with the help of machines in only 33 years.

It may sound ridiculous, but the 31-year-old Russian mogul is dead serious about neuroscience, android robotics, and cybernetic immortality.

He has already pulled together a team of leading Russian scientists intent on creating fully functional holographic human avatars that house artificial brains which contain a person's complete consciousness - in other words, a humanoid robot.

Together, they've laid out an ambitious course of action that would see the team transplant a human brain into an artificial body (or 'avatar') in as little as seven years time.

Now, Itskov is asking the world's richest people for help in financing the project.

In exchange, he's offered to coordinate their own personal immortality projects for free.

"I urge you to take note of the vital importance of funding scientific development in the field of cybernetic immortality and the artificial body," he writes in an open letter to members of the Forbes World's Billionaires List.

"Such research has the potential to free you, as well as the majority of all people on our planet, from disease, old age and even death."

Itskov goes on to offer skeptics a meeting with "a team of the world's leading scientists working in this field " to prove the viability of the concept of cybernetic immortality.

And while many are skeptical that such a plan could ever come to fruition, Popular
    Science Magazine points that phase one -- creating a robot controlled by a human brain -- is already well within reach.

"DARPA is already working on it via a program called "Avatar" (which, incidentally, is also the name of Itskov's project) through which the Pentagon hopes to create a brain-machine interface that will allow soldiers to control bipedal human surrogate machines remotely with their minds," writes PopSci's Clay Dillow.

"And of course there are all the ongoing medical prosthesis projects that have shown that the human nervous system can interface with prosthetic enhancements, manipulating them via thought. Itskov draws a clear arc from what we have now to the consciousness-containing holograms that he envisions. All we have to do is attack the technological obstacles in between, one at a time, until we get there."

Discovery's Alyssa Danigelis takes an opposing stance to the very idea.

"There's a world of difference between pursuing a brain-controlled exoskeleton to help paraplegics regain control and wanting to essentially upload a human brain into an artificial body," she writes.

"I read a sci-fi novel involving disembodied live brains once. It didn't turn out well"
    Last edited by Wrath; 08-02-2012 at 10:00.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'd do it if I was going to die/at the end of my ropes.
    If I turned into an abomination or something went wrong I'd just let them put me down

3. Likes Dave-The-Rave likes this post
    Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    If this is viable when I'm about to die I am definitely signing up for it. I want to be a Transformer.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    If he's appealing for funds, this $#@! needs to get his $#@! all up in kickstarters $#@!.

6. Likes Acid Snake likes this post
    Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Immortality is a bad thing, it isnt good.

Thank you itachi

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    I dont know if i want to live forever...or would want to be a robot just to stay alive

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    I wonder how sex would work?

10. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    there would be no sex so no point in living for ever

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    there would be no sex so no point in living for ever
    This man speaks wisely.

Even with no sex if I were to live forever my body better be a sexy beast!

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Maybe install an orgasm button to your body.
    Trophy-licious!

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    There's a few things to consider:

- How would immortality be abused? This would certainly be abused by the worst of society, like dictators and tyrants looking to keep eternal rule over their subjects.

- What would happen to the world population? If people are still dying but physical bodies still roaming the world, we'd indefinitely have a population crisis. Even in the modern day our natural resources are being strained by the size of the human population.

When we're talking about using this as a means of curing disease and disability, I'm all for it. "Avatars" could become available through application, and only humans who need the avatar would be granted one. So if you had a deadly disease, had a disability that prevented you from living a normal life, etc., you could be granted an avatar. The healthy among us, however, would be unable to get the avatars. Obviously in this scenario, there is no immortality involved. The avatars could require some sort of yearly maintenance to continue running, and once a user has reached say, 95 or 100, they're no longer eligible for said maintenance.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I already sent my pre-order in.

16. Likes Admartian , John25 likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post

- How would immortality be abused? This would certainly be abused by the worst of society, like dictators and tyrants looking to keep eternal rule over their subjects.

- What would happen to the world population? If people are still dying but physical bodies still roaming the world, we'd indefinitely have a population crisis. Even in the modern day our natural resources are being strained by the size of the human population.

When we're talking about using this as a means of curing disease and disability, I'm all for it. "Avatars" could become available through application, and only humans who need the avatar would be granted one. So if you had a deadly disease, had a disability that prevented you from living a normal life, etc., you could be granted an avatar. The healthy among us, however, would be unable to get the avatars. Obviously in this scenario, there is no immortality involved. The avatars could require some sort of yearly maintenance to continue running, and once a user has reached say, 95 or 100, they're no longer eligible for said maintenance.
    Exactly i think this would just be a bad idea and we as a human race would never evolved if this were to happen

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

El Presidente
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Maybe install an orgasm button to your body.
    I would probably break it from pressing too much

Even with that tyrants can still be killed. They have a new body but they're not untouchable. All that needs to go it the brain.

At least we wouldn't need to worry about food and water. The brain still needs water and nutrients but far less than what is needed to maintain muscles, organs etc.

That would be the best idea. It only goes to those who lets say are paralyzed from the neck down or some other issue that keeps the person from living normally.

Even with the points I made I think it would be best not to mess with this. Even if it only goes to people with a life threatening disease or disability someone is going to start a conflict over it. Even before a dictator or somebody gets the body, think of all the death and destruction that could occur just trying to obtain the body.

It's all very cool but some things I feel should not be messed with. We have enough conflict and problems now, we don't need to create more.
    Last edited by podsaurus; 08-02-2012 at 15:26.

19. Likes DeviousOne , Nitey likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    talk about pushing someone buttons lol

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

21. Likes Lebowski , podsaurus likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I already sent my pre-order in.
    What Pre-Order Bonuses did you Get ?? :P

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    probably a larger hard drive

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Avatar in real life..like a boss

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

PSU Technical Advisor
    I'd do it.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Fack all that i dont want be around that long....lol

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    I think if this would be possible I would be tempted to become some sort of super villain and get loads of upgrades.
    Trophy-licious!

Dedicated Member

This is Transhumanism.

I am currently reading something on the subject: The Singularity is Near, by Ray Kurzweil. Kurzweil states that technology increases at an exponential rate, not a linear rate, and believes you can look at past figures to see this is true. With that in mind, he believes that at about 2045, technology will have increased to a point that will start a Singularity, which is a point where we have built a single computer with more brain power than every single human on the planet, with artificial intelligence / self awareness. This 'computer' will then be able to improve itself over and over, and will increase the technology on Earth in ways we can't yet begin to visualise. The similarity to the Christian idea of the Rapture is uncanny, but a Singularity, according to Kurzweil, is a logical outcome of our increasing technology - no supernaturalism needed.

Transhumanists wish to be able to synthesise with technology to increase the human body - like increasing our memory capacity and eliminating involuntary death, for example. They also like to look at the potential problems that might come about through our increased technology, and seek to drive the technologies and laws that will allow such synthesis. This is just a basic overview - different people think different things, of course - but you get the idea.

A note on world population: these are problems we currently face at our current technological level, but won't necessarily be problems we will face in the future. We will have new problems, of course.

Would I, if given the choice to synthesise with technology and die at a time of my choosing, go ahead with it? Hell yes, there's a big universe I want to explore.

I'm only a quarter of the way through the book, but it's worth a read for those who are interested in this sort of thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singularity_Is_Near

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Interesting!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I won't point out names but it's threads like these that the most cynical people enjoy coming in here and shooting down the idea, no matter how great it sounds. Give it a chance FFS.

Elite Sage
    I'd do it. Can't imagine any cons to be everlasting. I'll be immortal, they have all the time in the world to fix any issues.
    I once ate a dirty sock...don't tell anyone.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.
    UK>America. its just true

Thread Information