Latest PSU headlines:

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    What Sony means is that they will continue to support the PS3 for 10 years even if PS4 launches during that time. It doesn't mean that Sony wont launch another console for 10 years. Sony has always operated that way. They supported PS1 even after launching PS2 and supported PS2 after launching PS3. So many people seem to misunderstand this 10 year plan. As for the second part of your post I agree. I think Sony would like to put off PS4 as long as they can right now but if MS launches their next console then they will have to get PS4 out there in the market asap. Sony isnt going to want to let MS have the next gen market to themselves any longer than absolutely neccessary.
    Yup. I don't think people EVER will understand that. MS and Sony have said they are supporting the consoles for 10+ years. They never once said they wouldn't bring out another console during that same period. No reason they can't support both.

Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    LMAO All these PS fans on the internet claiming they will jump ship if Sony charges are just lying to themselves. I dont buy it for a second.
    Reminds me of all the people that were jumping ship from XBL when it got a $10 a year increase. They still get XBL, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    No, everybody has different principles. F34R stated ages ago that he doesn't buy games with online passes
    I remember him saying that too, but I swear he said he got Tiger 13 which has an online pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    We're all glad that you enjoy the Playstation so much that them "going under" won't seem to bother you much.

Personally, I want to see them stick around with MS and Nintendo. I enjoy multiple consoles and won't limit myself to only one console and be deprived of enjoying great games because they are on a different console.
    You speak the truth. Not only is it great owning both, but without competition, we would not get innovation and price drops.

Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    I'm not included in this statement of 'we'. Or, by 'we' did you mean 'me' (as in, 'you' Lol).

I am in his "we".

Quote Originally Posted by hood View Post
    basically just XGC i have well over 150 friends on multiple psn accounts due to having two ps3s and 4 brothers never had a problem meeting people making friends clans sharing downloads ect. Also on psn if someone on your friends list is playing the same game you are you can just pop the same game in and select join from your friends list and the game turns on and brings you into the same room as your friend.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Yup. I don't think people EVER will understand that. MS and Sony have said they are supporting the consoles for 10+ years. They never once said they wouldn't bring out another console during that same period. No reason they can't support both.

Reminds me of all the people that were jumping ship from XBL when it got a $10 a year increase. They still get XBL, lol.

I remember him saying that too, but I swear he said he got Tiger 13 which has an online pass.

You speak the truth. Not only is it great owning both, but without competition, we would not get innovation and price drops.

I am in his "we".
    I responded to that post he made. I didn't buy Tiger Woods 13. All the games with online passes that I have bought are for the Vita; a Sony product. You're welcome.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I responded to that post he made. I didn't buy Tiger Woods 13. All the games with online passes that I have bought are for the Vita; a Sony product. You're welcome.
    Ah, ok. I am remembering the wrong person then. My bad. For some reason I was thinking it was you and I discussing the Kinect features in Tiger 13 and our experience with them.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I did play it, and we might have talked about it. I never got on it with kinect though.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_Lilith View Post
    Sony are a business, but they are giving a product away for free that a competitor is selling to make huge profits.

To keep something free when there is good evidence you can make money off it is what really makes no sense.

I really hope i'm wrong and Sony don't see this because I want to play online for free too.
    no see what you miss is that these two companies are competitors you have to give consumers an incintive to buy one over the other. Are you seriously gonna to say that if there were two completely identical systems out that had a majority of the same games that your for buying the console that asked you to pay to play that game online kr youll play the same exact game online for free. What logical explanation would you have for paying to play that same game online? Now yiur competing with said company for install base would you advrtise that you can can play your games online for free then charge for an elite service or would you just charge for the service anyway how would that be competitive. Both compankes would end up just pulling at strings to draw more customers in. Look we have twitter this now justifies payng to play your games online then said company releases a free twitter app. Where do you go from there you buy a console to play games
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

Power Member
    Items User name style
    no see what you miss is that these two companies are competitors you have to give consumers an incintive to buy one over the other. Are you seriously gonna to say that if there were two completely identical systems out that had a majority of the same games that your for buying the console that asked you to pay to play that game online kr youll play the same exact game online for free. What logical explanation would you have for paying to play that same game online? Now yiur competing with said company for install base would you advrtise that you can can play your games online for free then charge for an elite service or would you just charge for the service anyway how would that be competitive. Both compankes would end up just pulling at strings to draw more customers in. Look we have twitter this now justifies payng to play your games online then said company releases a free twitter app. Where do you go from there you buy a console to play games
    Your missing a key point. The PSN you play now, would not be the PSN Sony would charge for.
    It would have to offer a significant improvement for them to have the ability to charge for it.

On the other hand it may well be that Sony are not capable of pulling that off. That would be the main reason they dont charge for online next generaiton. If they cant offer enough to entice consumers to see value in their online product.

If Sony can build PSN up, the will charge for it next generation.
    If they can't and can only offer what you have now, then clearly they wont.

The have an opportunity to put PSN code in as a core function/building block of both the Operating System and the game system next generation.

They failed to do both this generaiton, and only retrospectivly patched the operating system. That is why they dont/cant charge for PSN.

If you are E/A or Ubisoft etc, there is abo****ly no requirement for you to actually run your games through PSN. You can use whatever net code you want.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Your missing a key point. The PSN you play now, would not be the PSN Sony would charge for.
    It would have to offer a significant improvement for them to have the ability to charge for it.

On the other hand it may well be that Sony are not capable of pulling that off. That would be the main reason they dont charge for online next generaiton. If they cant offer enough to entice consumers to see value in their online product.

If Sony can build PSN up, the will charge for it next generation.
    If they can't and can only offer what you have now, then clearly they wont.

The have an opportunity to put PSN code in as a core function/building block of both the Operating System and the game system next generation.

They failed to do both this generaiton, and only retrospectivly patched the operating system. That is why they dont/cant charge for PSN.

If you are E/A or Ubisoft etc, there is abo****ly no requirement for you to actually run your games through PSN. You can use whatever net code you want.
    Ok lets just rephase my intial question what would make it justifiable to pay to play one game online verses the other. What would make you buy a ps4 over nextbox Its not live its not psn its the games. So why why on earth would sony just say hey blue skadoo we can too? Historically sony consoles have been far more expensive do to the fact that you dont get charged to play online. How stupid would sony look with a 600 console versus ms 500 then turn around andcharge you to play your games online just because ms did when a vast majority of the games purchased are multiplatfrom. Are games goingto be the focus next gen or focusing on trying to provide the same features a tiny device in your pocket has. Is another twitter or facebook phenomenon going to be the deciding factor of whether you buy a ps4 or nextbox. Think about it xgc will be there fb twitter bing google all the premium services skype is going to be big on the nextbox but does that justify paying to play the same games online i would hope not.
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Ok lets just rephase my intial question what would make it justifiable to pay to play one game online verses the other. What would make you buy a ps4 over nextbox Its not live its not psn its the games. So why why on earth would sony just say hey blue skadoo we can too? Historically sony consoles have been far more expensive do to the fact that you dont get charged to play online. How stupid would sony look with a 600 console versus ms 500 then turn around andcharge you to play your games online just because ms did when a vast majority of the games purchased are multiplatfrom. Are games goingto be the focus next gen or focusing on trying to provide the same features a tiny device in your pocket has. Is another twitter or facebook phenomenon going to be the deciding factor of whether you buy a ps4 or nextbox. Think about it xgc will be there fb twitter bing google all the premium services skype is going to be big on the nextbox but does that justify paying to play the same games online i would hope not.
    Here..
    That basically promotes Gold membership over anything else on consoles. It makes everything run the way it does. Without that, Sony won't be able to build a competitive online system; and they won't charge for it.

Elite Member
    Here..

That basically promotes Gold membership over anything else on consoles. It makes everything run the way it does. Without that, Sony won't be able to build a competitive online system; and they won't charge for it.
    so from i understand all this means is that sony can take ps plus improve it and then charge you the subscription fee to play your games online jus like microsift does but if and only if they can make ps plus better? this would also force devs to inculde support for home and trophies in all thier games just like ms does with its achievements and xgc. which brings me back to the same conclusion why would they do it. Are devs going to work harder to incorporate home functionality all of a sudden thats just more work for them the in house devs probably will but indies and multiplatfroms no. in general its not a good idea for multiplatfrom devs to play favorites which means they will not intentionally make one game better than the other. sony doesnt have xgc because sony isnt demanding it or in game music because the arent demading it its because its either extra work or not possible. so what faeture will it be that impoves psn to the point where people will pay to play the exact same games online as ms gamers and devs are will to put more r&d into games for ps4 ? i dont see it happening

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    PS+ doesn't have anything to do with online play, or their services that bring features into the OS, or online capabilities.

Superior Member
    I have both consoles and subscribe to Live. To say there is no reason to pay is simply wrong. $30-$40 for a whole year is chump change, even to a student. They can earn that in one day of a summer job. Anyone who claims they can't afford that little needs to change their hobby.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Vita is killing the Playstation brand? lol I don't agree one bit. I love my Vita. And there are some really good games releasing this year for the handheld.

The Vita is not killing anything. I think trying to ride a console past 5yrs is the killer.
    I agree, sales aren't doing Sony any favors but its not killing them, but I totally disagree with the bolded
    If anything having a console with leg room for price drops is very beneficial, a new console would hurt Sony and developers at the moment
    The biggest blockbuster games in the next 2 years are gonna be on PS3/360
    PS2 was the most successful console on the market and I got mine in 2000 and didn't go nextgen til march 2007 when PS3 hit the UK
    Thats 7 years, and PS3 didn't come out in the US til Nov so ya might as well disregard 2006 and knock a year off its age( one month ain't a year and I know people do count it as a year when it comes to the PS3)
    PS3 got another 2-3 years left, and the announced & TBA games prove it
    Dam, We got MGS5 coming man! Ya know thats 2014 game lol

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

"Xbox is about to become the next water coolerĒ

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    I have both consoles and subscribe to Live. To say there is no reason to pay is simply wrong. $30-$40 for a whole year is chump change, even to a student. They can earn that in one day of a summer job. Anyone who claims they can't afford that little needs to change their hobby.
    your contradicting yourself here your saying because you can afford it its reasonable to pay extra to play a game online. You dont give any real reason to pay for it. So once again what's the reason why Sony should do the same thing. Do you even consider the reputation sony has made for themselves this gen release a system wait a yr and a half for games to come out for then every yr take features away?

PS+ doesn't have anything to do with online play, or their services that bring features into the OS, or online capabilities.
    exactly so why change it
    Last edited by hood; 08-06-2012 at 23:59.

PSN ID
    Srg_Slaughter
    Sony needs to retool the next version of playstation. They need to use the Vita's technology and not waste it. With poor Vita sales sony will need to make the Vita's tech profitable. I say make the Vita or a vita like controller as the new controller for PS4. It would solve many issues that sony is facing. Sony's sixxaxis controller is great but needs a desperate upgrade. A vita like controller used as a tablet and portable game device would be epic.If packaged and priced right as a PS4 Bundle, I think it would sell like hotcakes. This would save sony and the languishing sales of the PS Vita. It would also revitalize the console and handheld experience. With the right software and interactive features with PS4. I think this would put sony back on top.

Superior Member
    your contradicting yourself here your saying because you can afford it its reasonable to pay extra to play a game online. You dont give any real reason to pay for it. So once again what's the reason why Sony should do the same thing. Do you even consider the reputation sony has made for themselves this gen release a system wait a yr and a half for games to come out for then every yr take features away?
    I not contradicting anything. Having the PS3 or 360 without their online service is like having half a console. The 360 is built around Live like its almost part of it.

You can read all about the features of Live on Xbox.com. Sure, MS makes Lives best features available only through the Live subscription, but I feel it's well worth it.

I'm not here to try to justify paying for Live or to try convince anyone to purchase it. That's not part of my agenda.

I can tell by the verbiage you are using that you have an agenda. Me, I'm just giving my opinion.

I never said that they SHOULD charge for it, but I feel that they will at some point. As I stated in an earlier post, the infrastructure becomes too expensive to maintain as the losses mount. It's only logical that they begin to charge at some point.

I don't even play on line and I have a gold subscription. Like I said, it's worth it for me.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    so from i understand all this means is that sony can take ps plus improve it and then charge you the subscription fee to play your games online jus like microsift does but if and only if they can make ps plus better?
    PS plus is a rental service, it ha snothign to do with net code.

this would also force devs to inculde support for home and trophies in all thier games just like ms does with its achievements and xgc. which brings me back to the same conclusion why would they do it. Are devs going to work harder to incorporate home functionality all of a sudden thats just more work for them the in house devs probably will but indies and multiplatfroms no.
    Building your net code into the consoles game structure means developers dont have to do anything.
    Do you think when they programme for acheivments they do more than a couple of lines of code?

Acheivment (Tanked!,20, Destroy 5 tanks in a row without dying);
    If (tanksdestoryed=5) then Acheivement(Tanked);

Thats friggin it. The built in code does the rest.

Thats one of the key problems with Sonys net code at the moment. Take remote play, a completly optional code library that you have to actually implement. Hence virtually no one out side of first party uses it.
    With built in net code to, it just happens! The developers dont have to worry about it, the system takes care of it.

Trophy support is optional, because it has to be.

The idea of building your net code into the building blocks of system means SONY does the heavy lifting for the developers, not the developers themseleves.

It also means any changes they want to do, they can put into place, and it make no difference to the developers code.

Example, developers could have had code working for the PSP remote play funciton implements, Sony does an update, wham now works on Vita without any issues, developer code doesnt change at all.

in general its not a good idea for multiplatfrom devs to play favorites which means they will not intentionally make one game better than the other. sony doesnt have xgc because sony isnt demanding it or in game music because the arent demading it its because its either extra work or not possible. so what faeture will it be that impoves psn to the point where people will pay to play the exact same games online as ms gamers and devs are will to put more r&d into games for ps4 ? i dont see it happening
    On the contrary if Sony dont do it, they are going to be labelled difficult to develop for again.
    Last edited by mynd; 08-07-2012 at 02:35.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

17. Likes F34R likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Trophy support isn't optional (doesn't matter if it is done differently than Live), it's not optional.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Trophy support isn't optional (doesn't matter if it is done differently than Live), it's not optional.
    Only since Jan 2009. And again a classic example of retrospective patching.

Forum Sage
    What you said was "Trophy support is optional, because it has to be." We're in 2012.....it's not optional.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    What you said was "Trophy support is optional, because it has to be." We're in 2012.....it's not optional.
    Am I missing something? It isn't compulsory for every ps3 game is it?
    I didn't say it's optional for every game created today did I? It was retrospective patch that is not actually part of the core function of Sonys gaming system. It has to be optional because game were made with out it, because it didn't exist from day one.
    I was responding to someone saying it would then have to become a core implementation. What i was saying was it wasnt now, it had to be optional, because it wasnt part of the original building blocks. Perhaps u should read thread.
    Last edited by mynd; 08-07-2012 at 04:29.

22. Likes F34R likes this post
    Master Guru
    It really goes to show just how strong the PS brand is. Sony has been loyal to us gamers for over 15 years now. We're keeping them afloat by helping them through their financial struggles.

Soon enough the PS3 will bring in a **** ton of money just like the PS2 and PS1 did. It's only a matter of time. I say one more price drop and Sony will dominate in sales again.

Master Guru

who would have thought at the beginning of this generation that by now we would be hearing PS fans saying they wouldn't mind if the PS brand went under.

My how things change!
    Wii # 8752-0092-2306-9612
    PSN ID : pez555

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    if i didn't know any better, i'd think i was reading an archive of a PS3Forums thread
    rare to see so many old posters in one thread

Fate of Sony rests on Kaz Hirai's shoulders. so far, his outline seems good. it's only a question of how the market reacts. electronics is far bigger now than before.

Sony need to realise they are no longer the "premium" electronics company. everybody does exactly what they do, and for much cheaper.

Edit: in fact, some do more for much cheaper.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Ultimate Veteran
    Who would have thought building a solid product that serves your customer's needs would beat out money, marketing, hype, and greed.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Not quite sure what this is intended to do, but it seems like another one of those "my console is better than yours" posts.

28. Likes DeviousOne likes this post

Thread Information