Latest PSU headlines:

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    Not quite sure what this is intended to do, but it seems like another one of those "my console is better than yours" posts.
    I suppose it could be taken that way.. but
    Who would have thought building a solid product that serves your customer's needs would beat out money, marketing, hype, and greed.

2. Likes Kauldron, AaronSOLDIER , Ghost likes this post
    PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Careful Mr Lefein...if you make an observation on the strategies of the console makers you are instantly a fanboy with an...

Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

4. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Not quite sure what this is intended to do, but it seems like another one of those "my console is better than yours" posts.
    Exactly what it is. All you have to do is look at which members liked his post. lol

6. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I liked his post because I agreed with it, seemed pretty accurate to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

8. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    I liked his post because I agreed with it, seemed pretty accurate to me.
    Exactly. The hardcore PS3 fans will agree with it which was my point. And that wasn't a put down. But it kind of shows that it is a my console is better than yours post. In this case PS3. No big deal though as we all have our opinions.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    It could be said it a possible reason why Sony are in trouble as well.
    I don't pretend to know what the actual values are but, yeah, some one is making a ton off money of sure things.

It is noble of Sony to introduce new IP this late into the generation.
    Noble aint always smart business however.

Now, do I think the faith they have in giving PS3 the range of games has ever been repaid to them by the consumer?

No, no way in hell. Somewhere, they need to take a look at what they are doing and stop repeating the same mistakes.

I personally don't want Sony to leave the game market, without decent competition, the industry would be stuffed, and we would loose out, so I would like to at least think they can take a look at what works and what doesn't work, and tweak it.

Its in everyone's interest as a gamer that Sony are successful from here on out.
    Last edited by mynd; 08-09-2012 at 00:17.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

11. Likes D3seeker, Fijiandoce likes this post
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I don't pretend to know what the actual values are but, yeah, some one is making a ton of money of sure things.

Now, do I think the faith they have in giving PS3 the range of games has ever been repaid to them by the consumer?

No, no way in hell. Somewhere, they need to take a look art what they are doing and stop repeating the same mistakes.

I personally don't want Sony to leave the game market, without decent competition, the industry would be stuffed, and we would loose out, so I would like to at least think they can take a look at what works and what doesn't work, and tweak it.

Its in everyone's interest as a gamer that Sony are successful form here on out.
    I agree. Sony needs to be smart and fiscally responsible. Trying to please everyone is a flawed business strategy. You need to pick a market segment or two and cater to them.

Sony is just trying to do too much at once and trying to counter MS AND Nintendo every step of the way. 3D, Motion controllers, handhelds, HD remakes, etc. They need to play their game (no pun intended), not the competition's.
    Last edited by Old Man Gamer; 08-08-2012 at 21:27.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

13. Likes F34R likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I still haven't been able to grasp this concept. Maybe it's because I'm an old fogey and don't need to justify my preferences by saying how much better they are than other people's preferences. Putting others down just doesn't pick me up like it does some of the others around here. I don't own a Wii but don't go around saying how much better my 360 and PS3 are and putting Wii owners and Nintendo down. All three companies have their business strategies and their supporters and we should learn to learn to respect that. And yes, there are obvious agendas by some people here. That's apparent to even me.
    Yeah I know what you mean. Myself I equally enjoy my PS3 and 360 each for different reasons. Its no doubt a sign of insecurity when somebody feels the need to bash the "other" console be it PS3 or 360 in order to make themselves feel like their console of choice is "better."

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    It could be said it a possible reason why Sony are in trouble as well. I don't pretend to know what the actual values are but, yeah, some one is making a ton of money of sure things. It is noble of Sony to introduce new IP this late into the generation. Noble aint always smart business however. Now, do I think the faith they have in giving PS3 the range of games has ever been repaid to them by the consumer? No, no way in hell. Somewhere, they need to take a look art what they are doing and stop repeating the same mistakes. I personally don't want Sony to leave the game market, without decent competition, the industry would be stuffed, and we would loose out, so I would like to at least think they can take a look at what works and what doesn't work, and tweak it. Its in everyone's interest as a gamer that Sony are successful form here on out.
    Well said mynd. And I agree.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    I agree. Sony needs to be smart and fiscally responsible. Trying to please everyone is a flawed business strategy. You need to pick a market segment or two and cater to them.

Sony is just trying to do too much at once and trying to counter MS AND Nintendo every step of the way. 3D, Motion controllers, handhelds, HD remakes, etc. They need to play their game (no pun intended), not the competition's.
    Agreed. Kaz has got his work cut out for him right now. I think sony is in good hands with him leading the pack. Lets just hope that he can turn things around next year.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    I'm worried. I'd hate the possibility that the collapse of any of Sony's other divisions could ultimately bring the entire company down (probably a bit dramatic but a possibility nonetheless)

OH!! I like Sony, always have and always will. I do hope they can pull themselves out of this mess. New ips and more games, has been the game. Dare I say they are very much so STILL gambling with their entry into handheld gaming. Despite what they've found with the PSP and the way the market has evolved, among their old japanese ways (if that's what it it)

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Pez_555 View Post
    who would have thought at the beginning of this generation that by now we would be hearing PS fans saying they wouldn't mind if the PS brand went under.

My how things change!
    I really wouldn't mind if Nintendo and Sony were removed just to show you all exactly what MS would do to the industry.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauldron View Post
    I really wouldn't mind if Nintendo and Sony were removed just to show you all exactly what MS would do to the industry.
    Probably make more money. Game development will still go on.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce

not necessarily, its contingent to Sony's market strategy to "copy" and "counter" what the other manufacturers do. their market demands that they do this.

unfortunately, they've invested in "something" that hasn't quite worked out - across the company - and therefore find themselves awkwardly shuffling toward Sharp's current position.
    Surprisingly, i haven't seen a bravia ad in Years! yet LG, Samsung, and Panasonic are all pushing really hard.
    this pertains to the company as a whole. i'd point to mismanagement, hopefully Kaz Hirai can fix this.

Sony as a Console Manufacturer is another thing entirely.
    as i said previously, Sony is demanded by their market to "counter" its competitors
    its like a game of chess. unfortunately for Sony, Microsoft took their[PS3's] queen at the very start of the match. if you've ever gone a round of chess without a queen you realise how hard it is to manoeuvre thereafter. luckily, Sony have played their Knights exceptionally well, by way of IPs.

Sony CE, going forward, need to make love to someone (possibly developers....or R&D). focusing on "a market segment or two" will only serve to compound an already compromised business plan.
    What Sony need to do is consolidate their Business Model. whether wholly, or contained within SCE.....i'd prefer wholly tbh.

Kaz seems to be turning the company in this direction. hopefully, they've done enough for the next generation.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Power Member
    Items User name style
    The Vita, to be honest is competeing in a market place that has evolved beyond somethign that can just play games.
    Bringing a product out in that space isn't imposisble, but bringing it out propritory like Sony have done? Fraught with dangers.
    Having a device that isnt very usefull to anyone outside of the hand held/Sony gaming space would seem it just doesnt cut it anymore.
    Thats not to say they cant, they just need to compliment it, which they havent.
    The vita posisbly should have been bought into the phone space as an option.
    I just dont see it appealing to people long term.
    If you think about how fast smart phones are evolving, and where they will be in say 3 years time...
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

22. Likes D3seeker, F34R , Fijiandoce likes this post
    Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    The Vita, to be honest is competeing in a market place that has evolved beyond somethign that can just play games.
    Bringing a product out in that space isn't imposisble, but bringing it out propritory like Sony have done? Fraught with dangers.
    Having a device that isnt very usefull to anyone outside of the hand held/Sony gaming space would seem it just doesnt cut it anymore.
    Thats not to say they cant, they just need to compliment it, which they havent.
    The vita posisbly should have been bought into the phone space as an option.
    I just dont see it appealing to people long term.
    If you think about how fast smart phones are evolving, and where they will be in say 3 years time...
    Yeah, I remember an article kinda slamming Sony (Vita) because of the way the mobile gaming market is going to keep blossoming while this game system is sitting in an insignificant space.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Yeah, I remember an article kinda slamming Sony (Vita) because of the way the mobile gaming market is going to keep blossoming while this game system is sitting in an insignificant space.
    Its is a insiginficant space because I honestly think the market they aim at it with doesnt exsist.
    I dont think it ever did.

When I was kid we all had hand helds, I had Vtech Time and Fun (Condor) My bother had one, my counsins had game and Watchs, and my frinds had something in that hand held space.

We were kids. We played games, they were cool.

I dont think that market changed. Nintendo knows this. They sure as hell knows this.

Where Sony took the Vita, is beyond the reach of parents to justify the purchase over a 3ds.

The market wants cheap friendly, not bleedng edge fun for the kids.

What Sony has here is a device aimed out core portable gamers, Im not sure there is that many of them out there.

As adults, we want facebook, twitter, internet blah blah, cell phone, communication.
    It doesn tmatter what the Vita can offer, its what people perceive it to offer, and most people percieve it as the PSP 2.
    Last edited by mynd; 08-09-2012 at 01:17.

25. Likes Fijiandoce likes this post
    Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Here's the now against handheld consoles:

27. Likes Sub-stance1 likes this post
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Writing on the wall right there.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Yep.. someone slammed me with this concept a while ago when I was touting the specs and amazing aspect of the Vita. I disregarded that argument and kept it as I was right, and he wasn't. This just puts me in my place, as wrong in that discussion.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Here's the now against handheld consoles:
    I played that jet ski game on one of the tablets at my local Gamestop. It was awesome. Anyway after seeing that video I'm seeing why the future of Vita could be very bleak.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Writing on the wall right there.
    I think so too.

Superior Member
    Sony needs to dump the the Vita. It may be designed as a serious console but the entire hand held market is a kids market. Some adults will dive in but in the long run a hand held is a toy destined for kids, regardless of the design and the available games.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    They just need the price and content scaled down a little bit. $179 for the Vita, get those stinking memory cards down to a competitive price vs regular micro's (yes, yes, I know.. it's not really "competing against them"), and push the content out like it needs to be. That will boost the sales dramatically.

Superior Member

I don't pretend to know what the actual values are but, yeah, some one is making a ton off money of sure things.

No, no way in hell. Somewhere, they need to take a look at what they are doing and stop repeating the same mistakes.

Its in everyone's interest as a gamer that Sony are successful from here on out.
    I think Sony just took way too big a risk with what they put into their console this time. Let's all be honest here....what hurt Sony the most this gen. 360 launching a year earlier, inferior and delayed game ports early and often, price!!!! I know after buying peripherals the 360 was more expensive but avg consumer looks at console bottom line.

Anyways what caused those 3 HUGE issues (conseeding not the only)? Cell/BR correct (simplistic but lets be practical)?? They had some similar issues with programing difficulty and limitations with PS2 but really no competition. I know they had to launch BR to win a format war...that could have been a bigger win than a console war so I can't honestly say they could have gone without it...but Cell??? Costly and basically a very low return on investment....if not a huge cost! If they bring price down with some simpler architecture and focus on something more similar to 360 they possibly could have launched at a similar price/similar timeframe and produce similar products. Given all that....I think they win this gen. Going into this gen. if Sony plays on an even playing field...IMO I don't think Microsoft jumps out so big. I fully believe with the PS2 momentum not broken and the barriers for entrance for most gamers so freakin high with the price it would have changed a lot. I don't know if all that would have been possible by simply changing the cpu/gpu investment but I think it would have likely made a huge difference. I wouldn't have got Uncharted graphics and I'm glad I did....but for Sony that is a huge price to pay. Which is why I think they design the PS4 totally different...in a profitable way...not trying to push the boundries of technology. PS3 was a kit that fell short of its design goals and I don't think Sony needs to take that chance. They now have lost market share I dare say they may never take back (at least from Microsoft) but I don't think they have to make a console on the edge of science lol...no reason to throw billions at something that won't pay back...how about hundreds of millions that will.

As for the Vita people mention killing. I sadly agree while I love my vita and games I don't think it is mainstream accessible/desirable for handheld gaming. PSP was profitable and Vita will probably hit close to those lifetime numbers but its a niche market. The only way to expand it is to somehow incorperate it as a successful PS4 gaming accessory. Some how make using it as a controller or continue to expand its interactivity beyond what it currently can do. It would have to piggy back MAJORLY off the PS4 as a peripheral/controller somehow to gain enough user base then...gaming on the go. Honestly I think it has to get into enough hands before the support by devs will make it desirable for mobile...and to get to that point...perhaps some innovative gaming usage for a PS4 console could get it that user base it needs. Sony has to get PS3/PS4 to PSV game sharing working and supported almost by all new games and also somehow make interacting/playing your PS4 more enjoyable with the Vita...once they get enough gamer support...those stand alone PSV titles would come in droves. Thats my theory...is it possible??? IDK but if it isn't Sony's handheld will either die a slow death or possibly just limp along like the PSP.

Thread Information