mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Playstation punctured: Sony's games business deflates again

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Keep making the games and I don't really care how they keep their books.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Next few years are probably gonna be rough one's for sony. Kaz did say that it was gonna be painful.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Vita is killing the playstation brand Sony is in a tough spot with that situation. if they cut the price no guarentee that sales pick up enough to justify the lost or bundles which could help but again your taking money away from software sales which is where they would make most of their money

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Dedicated Member

I really am puzzled at times with how SONY operates their business. I mean the mistakes they make sometimes seems foolish even to me, and I'm no game industry business expert. I love SONY's products and am a big customer, but it seems that a bit of arrogance is what seems to sink them. They should bite the bullet and drop the prices a bit quicker and then watch as the sales add up. I know it kind of early for the Vita, but it seems to be better than having them sitting on the shelves until the holidays in my opinion!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    Vita is killing the playstation brand Sony is in a tough spot with that situation. if they cut the price no guarentee that sales pick up enough to justify the lost or bundles which could help but again your taking money away from software sales which is where they would make most of their money
    Vita is killing the Playstation brand? lol I don't agree one bit. I love my Vita. And there are some really good games releasing this year for the handheld.

The Vita is not killing anything. I think trying to ride a console past 5yrs is the killer.

7. Likes Fon , Wrath , Thorzilla likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Now, tell me, in what way is Vita killing the brand? lol
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Vita is killing the Playstation brand? lol I don't agree one bit. I love my Vita. And there are some really good games releasing this year for the handheld.

The Vita is not killing anything. I think trying to ride a console past 5yrs is the killer.
    I think he is talking from the business side of things. No doubt that people love the vita. I even plan on getting one for my kid this Christmas even if they don't drop the price, but it does look like the device is struggling to gain traction in the handheld market. Nintendo has such a strong hold on the market that it will be difficult no matter what they do.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-12-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    You dug yourself a bit of a hole there bud..lol
    With the lineup upcoming of great games I don't see how its killing it man

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    It has nothing to do with the actual hardware im speaking in terms of sales. They ar elsoing money on the vita and its hurting them. my comment was not in regards to the console.

The Vita is struggling and its killing sony especially with a new home console looming this was the last thing they needed

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    When you say "The Vita is killing the Playstation brand". That means that the device is so bad that it is tarnishing what Sony has created with the Playstation name. Poor sales do not kill a name. A poor device can though. I think you used a poor choice of words is all. You make it sound like the Vita is a horrendous device.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Keep making the games and I don't really care how they keep their books.
    That is a pretty short-sighted view and this goes well beyond bookkeeping. Business 101 demonstrates that if things aren't selling developers won't make games and that leads to a downward spiral. We need for Sony to be successful to keep the good stuff coming.

I wouldn't say that it's killing the brand but it's certainly hurting Sony as a whole. The problem is that if sales don't pick up they will have a hard time recruiting developers to make games for it.
    Last edited by Old Man Gamer; 08-04-2012 at 17:12.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

14. Likes Dissent, DeviousOne likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    When you say "The Vita is killing the Playstation brand". That means that the device is so bad that it is tarnishing what Sony has created with the Playstation name. Poor sales do not kill a name. A poor device can though. I think you used a poor choice of words is all. You make it sound like the Vita is a horrendous device.
    No you choose to take those words and assume thats what i meant. If you've read prior post of mine ive never had a bad thing to say about the console also have shown interest in getting one myself.

Yes the VITA is killing the playstation brand because of its sluggish sales however the hardware is great. better? LOL

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    That is a pretty short-sighted view and this goes well beyond bookkeeping. Business 101 demonstrates that if things aren't selling developers won't make games and that leads to a downward spiral. We need for Sony to be successful to keep the good stuff coming.
    Exactly!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Elite Sage

In this case its not. The profits didn't come in as fast as they thought so you really have no choice but to try to make up for some of the losses. Ps3 focus right now is the best thing they could do. Launching another console right now is the last thing sony needs.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    No you choose to take those words and assume thats what i meant. If you've read prior post of mine ive never had a bad thing to say about the console also have shown interest in getting one myself.

Yes the VITA is killing the playstation brand because of its sluggish sales however the hardware is great. better? LOL
    Poor Vita sales would be killing Sony's profits. Not the Playstation brand. I am not seeing how the Vita is killing the Playstation trademark?

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    In this case its not. The profits didn't come in as fast as they thought so you really have no choice but to try to make up for some of the losses. Ps3 focus right now is the best thing they could do. Launching another console right now is the last thing sony needs.
    For me this is the case. I grew tired of the PS3 after 5yrs. I have damn near no interest in the console anymore and it was time to release a new platform last year. Releasing the PS4 is exactly what Sony needs to do.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    What ever happened to that ten year plan MS and sony had for their consoles? LOL

The PS3 is making a profit and a super slim model will def help slow the bleeding while the Vita is trying to get a foothold on the market. Im good with the PS3 but depending if microsoft reveals a next gen console those plans for ps4 may have to be pushed out sooner than sony may like.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Elite Sage
    What ever happened to that ten year plan MS and sony had for their consoles? LOL

The PS3 is making a profit and a super slim model will def help slow the bleeding while the Vita is trying to get a foothold on the market. Im good with the PS3 but depending if microsoft reveals a next gen console those plans for ps4 may have to be pushed out sooner than sony may like.
    I have said this before. If MS forces sony to launch before they they have everything in place it could be devastating........ especially if the Vita still continues to struggle.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    I have said this before. If MS forces sony to launch before they they have everything in place it could be devastating........ especially if the Vita still continues to struggle.
    All systems struggle until they get a steady flow of games being released. This is nothing new and it is no surprise. Same thing happened with the PS3. That console sucked so badly for it's first year.

22. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Poor Vita sales would be killing Sony's profits. Not the Playstation brand. I am not seeing how the Vita is killing the Playstation trademark?
    Vita is part of the playstation brand and just because its killing it at the moment, doesnt mean its going to KILL the playstation brand in the end of the day its all SCE.

If the Vita is killing profits, also if it doesnt recoup money for R&D as well as marketing for it then thats killing the Playstation brand. Basically sony isnt even breaking even with the vita in that case and we are still a while away befroe we know that to be a fact . However its not looking good which is sad because the vita is a great portable console with alot of potenial.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Elite Sage
    All systems struggle until they get a steady flow of games being released. This is nothing new and it is no surprise. Same thing happened with the PS3. That console sucked so badly for it's first year.
    I think the wii was profitable from day 1. The ps3 actually struggled longer than the first year. It is common that when you launch new hardware you won't see profits right away, but it's really risky doing it when you have another piece of hardware struggling to find its place.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Other than nintendo I dont know any other company that makes money off their hardware day one. For the most part nintendo has with the expection of the 3ds as of late.

Its the old shaver and razor theory...you sell the shaver at or below cost and make money on the razor refills..So most companies sell the hardware at a lost and make money on the software.

With the Wii nintendo was at a win win 50 bucks a console and the games.

its always risky but its a high reward as well

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    Sony is a conglomerate, they will not go down easy and have been making games despite financial difficulties for the the past few years. They will pull through this and the games will keep coming.

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Sony is a conglomerate, they will not go down easy and have been making games despite financial difficulties for the the past few years. They will pull through this and the games will keep coming.
    I don't think anyone expects sony to "go down". In the end they will pull through but It looks like more rough times are ahead. As the market continues to go through changes it looks like they are struggling to get back to where they were years ago. If they were to go down it would definitely be bad for the industry.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I don't think anyone expects sony to "go down". In the end they will pull through but It looks like more rough times are ahead. As the market continues to go through changes it looks like they are struggling to get back to where they were years ago. If they were to go down it would definitely be bad for the industry.
    Was more or less my point, hense why I don't really care about their financial woes atm.

Thread Information