Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

I need you help - im a PS3 newbie!

Hey guys,

Big sports gamer here. I get Madden & FIFA ever yr.-my 2 fav sports

I've had XBOX360 for at least 5yrs & am curious about switching to PS3. I used to have a PS1/PS2 back in the day & I've always said that it was my "first love" (gaming wise haha). It was extremely hard for me to switch over to the 360 when I did. I was all set on getting the brand new PS3 but since there was such a high demand for it when it was released, I wouldn't of been able to get it for at least 6 months - so I went & got the XBOX360 for $150 cheaper.

I use my gaming console 99.9% of the time to play sports games online in h2h mode. Is there any difference w/ playing sports games online between the 2 consoles? Do I need to pay for anything to play games h2h online on PS3?

A huge plus for me (& one of the main reasons I want to make the switch) is then I can stream my Seahawks games live via NFLSeasonTicket on my console. I will never get DirectTV so doing it this way, is the only way I can actually get NFLSeasonTicket.

I don't know many people that have a PS3, all my buddies hav 360s, so I'm looking to you guys for advice on this...sports gaming experience? Online experience w/PS3? NFLSeasonTicket experience on PS3? Any info./advice you can provide me - I'd greatly appreciate it!!

-CT

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by seahawks2300 View Post
    Hey guys,

I've had XBOX360 for at least 5yrs & am curious about switching to PS3. I used to have a PS1/PS2 back in the day & I've always said that it was my "first love" (gaming wise haha). It was extremely hard for me to switch over to the 360 when I did. I was all set on getting the brand new PS3 but since there was such a high demand for it when it was released, I wouldn't of been able to get it for at least 6 months - so I went & got the XBOX360 for $150 cheaper.

I use my gaming console 99.9% of the time to play sports games online in h2h mode. Is there any difference w/ playing sports games online between the 2 consoles? Do I need to pay for anything to play games h2h online on PS3?

A huge plus for me (& one of the main reasons I want to make the switch) is then I can stream my Seahawks games live via NFLSeasonTicket on my console. I will never get DirectTV so doing it this way, is the only way I can actually get NFLSeasonTicket.

I don't know many people that have a PS3, all my buddies hav 360s, so I'm looking to you guys for advice on this...sports gaming experience? Online experience w/PS3? NFLSeasonTicket experience on PS3? Any info./advice you can provide me - I'd greatly appreciate it!!

-CT
    Ok I don't mean to sound like an ass but asking if it cost anything to play h2h with the PS3 is ridiculous this late in the life cycle of the system, as everyone knows the PS3 is free to play online. The only way you would have to pay is if the game itself requires an online pass and you bought the game used.

As far as the NFL Ticket plan is crazy expensive to stream through the PS3. I think when I looked into it it was $300+.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by NYFAN75 View Post
    Ok I don't mean to sound like an ass but asking if it cost anything to play h2h with the PS3 is ridiculous this late in the life cycle of the system, as everyone knows the PS3 is free to play online. The only way you would have to pay is if the game itself requires an online pass and you bought the game used.

As far as the NFL Ticket plan is crazy expensive to stream through the PS3. I think when I looked into it it was $300+.

Hope that helps
    Bro, I'm just covering all my basis. I gota 360 5yrs ago & haven't paid a lick of attention to what has been going on w/ PS3. I heard there is a now a PS "plus" thing & wanted to make sure it wasn't made into the XboxLive service where you have to pay for basically everything - u feel me?

How is the online experience on PS3 compared to XBL? I'm posting on these forums b/c like I said in my org. thread, my buddies don't have PS3's

4. Likes F34R likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    My advice is if you want a ps3 just go ahead and trade in the 360 to get one. If you don't like what it offers then go back to the 360 or just get both. What matters the most is your experience and not other peoples.

6. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    My advice is if you want a ps3 just go ahead and trade in the 360 to get one. If you don't like what it offers then go back to the 360 or just get both. What matters the most is your experience and not other peoples.
    Yep exactly. Personally I think the OP should just save up and have both. Going by his post I would bet that he would end up regretting trading in his 360 especially if he ended up not caring for the PS3 in the long run. PS3 is at a low enough price point now that saving up for one shouldn't take long. The OP should also google some PS3 info first since he seems to know almost nothing about it.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    You may find this helpful...

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...tation-Network

Also more threads in that forum may provide some information your looking for as well

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

For the third time, I don't know anyone that has a PS3 so I'm looking for your guys opinions. Basically what I've gathered is that it is PURELY a PERSONAL
    choice...& again for the third time, I got a 360 5yrs ago & have not paid any attention to what Sony has been doing w/ their PS3.

I have looked at different reviews, videos online etc but thought I'd get some nice responses from a forums like this - after I explained what I'm going to use it for...instead of getting bashed that I don't know anything.

I want to use my PS3 for:
    NFL Sunday Ticket
    Playing Madden & FIFA series h2h online

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Hey guys,

-CT
    The only difference with your online play is going to be the Gold member features. Period. You should be able to play online, h2h, without any problems... that's been my experience. It's free. As far as NFLST without DirecTV, your price is going to e $339.00!!

So the issue is going to be whether you need the PS3 or not. Do you not need the Xbox Live features that aren't available on the PS3? Do you need to pay the large fee for the PS3 NFL Season Ticket usage? I don't think you need to consider if the online play will be the same as the 360.. generally, it will be the same. It's going to come down to which features you need or don't need.

Based on your posts..

PS3
    You wanna play Madden and FIFA h2h online - YES
    You wan NFL ST - YES ($339.00)
    NO FEES to play online - YES
    Last edited by F34R; 08-04-2012 at 19:19.

11. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Sports gamer on the PS3?

MLB: The Show!

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Sports gamer on the PS3? MLB: The Show!
    Assuming hes a baseball fan. So far the NFL (football) seems to be his priority.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    The PS3 seems to cover his bases, including being able to pay that hefty fee for NFL ST. If he's majorly playing EA Sports titles like he mentioned, then there isn't really any substantial reason to not go the PS3 route.

Aka since I want to use my PS3 to play games online, & I've read that PS3 lags @ a much higher rate than XBL, I'd like to know if that's true? Or is the actual IN-GAME online experiences virtually the same between the 2 consoles?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    The PS3 seems to cover his bases, including being able to pay that hefty fee for NFL ST. If he's majorly playing EA Sports titles like he mentioned, then there isn't really any substantial reason to not go the PS3 route.
    Whats so different about playing EA Sports titles on PS3 as opposed to the console he already owns? Is NFL Season Ticket only on PS3? If so then I can understand.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 08-04-2012 at 19:30.

I'm not interested in keeping 2 consoles. Id rather trade in 360 stuff b/c I can still watch MLB.tv on PS3 as well as get NFLST (I'm a diehard Seattle sports fan living in WI) so that's why having those 2 "apps" to use on my console is such a big + for me.

If the online experience is virtually the same between the 2 consoles (- the ability to have party chats on PS3 like you can on XBL) then that makes me feel comfort to go ahead & make the switch. Not having to pay $50-60 a yr to play online is a nice bonus w/ PS3. & yes guys, basically I only play EASports titles & I'll deff try The Show - always has looked like an AWESOME game.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I'm not interested in keeping 2 consoles. Id rather trade in 360 stuff b/c I can still watch MLB.tv on PS3 as well as get NFLST (I'm a diehard Seattle sports fan living in WI) so that's why having those 2 "apps" to use on my console is such a big + for me. If the online experience is virtually the same between the 2 consoles (- the ability to have party chats on PS3 like you can on XBL) then that makes me feel comfort to go ahead & make the switch. Not having to pay $50-60 a yr to play online is a nice bonus w/ PS3. & yes guys, basically I only play EASports titles & I'll deff try The Show - always has looked like an AWESOME game.
    First off there is no cross game voice chat on the PS3. So no you wont be having party chats like you do on XBL. And secondly yes MLB The Show is definitely the best baseball game ever.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 08-04-2012 at 19:35.

Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Whats so different about playing EA Sports titles on PS3 as opposed to the console he already owns? Is NFL Season Ticket only on PS3? If so then I can understand.
    Bro, I've never had a single issue playing XBL online EVER - always works - NEVER down. So if someone wrote back on here saying "dude, PS3 servers are horrible. They are always down like once a week - super annoying" then the "online experience" would be diff between the 2 consoles, right?

Elite Guru
    Was not trying to be an ass there bud... And like I said it was not intentional... But as far as the online lag with the PS3 I have not had any real big issue with it at all... It has happened on a few occasions but that was mainly the game it self ie SOCOM:CONFRONTATIONS.

Other than that it has been very stable.
    Last edited by NYFAN75; 08-04-2012 at 19:54.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    The online difference shouldn't be any different from the aspect of playing online with those games.... I've not had any problems.

Here are the things that can give you issues:

Router - type of router you're using can be fine with a 360, but give problems with the PS3.
    Wifi - interference can be an issue.
    Internet source and reliability - download isn't helping... your upload will need to be at 400kbs at least.

If the last two don't affect your 360, doubtfully they affect the PS3. The router is more important at this point. Researching your router + ps3 and you will know a little more. Post the name and model number of that router.

@Rad
    Yes, NFL ST is only available on the PS3 as far as consoles go. However, you can buy it for the computer, tablet, and phone, paying for NFL Sunday Ticket Max if you officially can't receive satellite because of LOS problems.

22. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Bro, I've never had a single issue playing XBL online EVER - always works - NEVER down. So if someone wrote back on here saying "dude, PS3 servers are horrible. They are always down like once a week - super annoying" then the "online experience" would be diff between the 2 consoles, right?
    Bro, my question was directed at F34R not you which is why I quoted him not you, right? And@F34R- Thanks for that info.

Quote Originally Posted by NYFAN75 View Post
    Was not trying to be an ass there bud... And like I said it was not intentional... But as far as the online lag with the PS3 I have not had any real big issue with it at all... It has happened on a few occasions but that was mainly the game it self ie SOCOM:CONFRONTATIONS.

Other than that it has been very stable.
    gotcha man, that's exactly what I wanted to hear - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    The online difference shouldn't be any different from the aspect of playing online with those games.... I've not had any problems.

Here are the things that can give you issues:
    d
    Router - type of router you're using can be fine with a 360, but give problems with the PS3.
    Wifi - interference can be an issue.
    Internet source and reliability - download isn't helping... your upload will need to be at 400kbs at least.

If the last two don't affect your 360, doubtfully they affect the PS3. The router is more important at this point. Researching your router + ps3 and you will know a little more. Posasst the name and model number of that router.
    @f34r - I'm out of town but when I'm able too, i'll look it up & post on here - thanks for the heads up. we have AT&T U-Verse for TV/phone/internet & have an extremely fast connection (according to the guy that came to set everything up). I don't know specifics but when I find those out, like I said, i'll post em here.

@Rad - my bad

Superior Member
    I play a ton of sports games and used to play on-line a lot (not any more though). I have played on both PSN and Live and for some reason Live just seems quicker, smoother, more user friendly and has a wider audience than PSN.

If you want answers to more specific question please let me know.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

PSN ID
    dustinsedlock
    Bro, I'm just covering all my basis. I gota 360 5yrs ago & haven't paid a lick of attention to what has been going on w/ PS3. I heard there is a now a PS "plus" thing & wanted to make sure it wasn't made into the XboxLive service where you have to pay for basically everything - u feel me?

How is the online experience on PS3 compared to XBL? I'm posting on these forums b/c like I said in my org. thread, my buddies don't have PS3's
    It may behoove you to visit this site if you dislike paying for stuff. I got free $200 dolla psn code and xbox stuff and more!! it was nuts MAN!

PSN ID
    ConorHoney
    Hey guys,

-CT
    Hello, You've came to the right place for all PS3 advice.

My story was slightly different in that I have the first 60GB PS3 back in 2006, at the time Me and my Dad paid half and half as I was only 11/12 yrs. old at the time. I had the 60GB till late 2009 early 2010 but due to an argument my Dad sold it, I got a Xbox that Christmas due to all my friends having one.

Previous Christmas 2011/2012 I got the brand new 320GB Slim and sold the Xbox, The only things I miss from Xbox was Forza Motorsport and the voice chat parties.

Anyway that was my story, My advice to you Seahawks2300 is that the PS3 is totally different to the Xbox is ways. Its free online, Controller feels completely different so if you have big hands get some added R3 and L3 clickers like professional gamers have (I also have L2 and R2 clips).

Another tip is to not leave your bank details on the console as your probably aware of the massive hack a year or so back that anything can happen so, if you want to buy a add-on only put it on whilst buying that item... even though Sony and Playstation have fixed the security it'll never be safe as you know having an Xbox before.

My final point is that if you haven't signed up for PSN ID, make sure that you want the perfect ID as you only get one not like Xbox Live, you can't change it, obviously you can make a whole new account but you'll lose all your online codes etc.

Btw. as I know all EA games e.g. NFL, FIFA and Hockey are all better on the PS3 because they where designed for this console. You'll see a difference in the picture quality also, if, like me you have a massive High Def T.V then the quality is much, much better!

All the best and remember, Enjoy!
    Last edited by Honey.; 09-02-2012 at 08:41.

PSN ID
    Hey guys,

I use my gaming console 99.9% of the time to play sports games online in h2h mode nice led lights. Is there any difference w/ playing sports games online between the 2 consoles? Do I need to pay for anything to play games h2h online on PS3?

-CT

If you get that then contact me I am in search of that too.
    Last edited by Serftai; 09-07-2012 at 08:31.

Thread Information