Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce

No more "METRO" : Win8

Microsoft to drop 'Metro' name for Windows 8

A potential trademark dispute has forced Microsoft to drop the Metro name for Windows 8's blocky, tile-based interface.
    Talks with an "important European partner" have brought about the change according to internal memos seen by tech news site The Verge.

The partner is believed to be German retail giant Metro AG.

Microsoft is currently working out what to call the interface and said the new name would be announced soon.

Modern motion

The tiled interface is used on both Windows 8 and Windows Phone and has been called "Metro" ever since Microsoft started showing off its designs for the software.

Elements of it have also been used on older products such as the Zune media player.

In documents sent out to developers and media months ago, Microsoft said Metro was the "code name for our design language".

It added that Metro was picked because the name was "modern and clean. It's fast and in motion".

Now documents sent out to developers are warning coders to avoid using the word when referring to the distinctive interface.

The warning is believed to follow on from an internal memo sent by Microsoft's Legal and Corporate Affairs department which said the company had been threatened with legal action over its use of the name.

The threat is believed to have been made by German retailer Metro AG, which owns trademarks on the word. Metro AG declined to comment on the claim.

Instead of Metro, Microsoft has told developers to simply refer to the blocky display as a "Windows 8 style UI" for the time being.

In a statement, Microsoft said: "We have used Metro style as a code name during the product development cycle across many of our product lines.

"As we get closer to launch and transition from industry dialogue to a broad consumer dialogue we will use our commercial names," it said.
    sauce

another fail for this operating system....

kinda wish the thing would be done away with tbh....at least i won't think of the damn subway anymore....they'll prolly end up calling it 'Tube' or something instead >_>

regardless, win7 will be my OS of choice for the foreseeable future
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Sage
    How much do you want to bet that windows 8 will outsell vista?

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It's not really a fail. There is a name change......

Also op, OS have to develop and change. If they didn't everything would still look like windows 95.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Its been a while since I used a windows 8 and I didnt like it, I couldnt figure out how to not use the "metro" system at all there was always something that had to use it in one way or another. I hated it.
    Maybe thats changed in a beta or RTM whatever

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I bet Microsoft is already working on the next Windows OS. They know pretty quickly when the public hates their OS.

Windows ME (Sucked quickly, and replaced quickly)
    Windows Vista (Sucked quickly, and replaced quickly)
    Windows 8 (Sucks instantly......)

These are all garbage.

Windows XP
    Windows Seven

These are amazing.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Still kicking the XP experience. When I get a new PC I would go 7.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Sage
    The only problem I have with Windows 8 so far is that it is going to be inconsistent.

They are not going 'metro' all the way nor are they dropping the traditional Windows look all the way.

It looks like a mash up of both the metro and the old Windows UI. We'll see and maybe I am wrong...

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    How much do you want to bet that windows 8 will outsell vista?
    considering its being released for tablets also? and the OS even focuses on tablets? pretty sure it'll sell more than vista
    to that end i'll bet you a tenner!

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelbo1 View Post
    It's not really a fail. There is a name change......

Also op, OS have to develop and change. If they didn't everything would still look like windows 95.

i'd disagree with that statement partially. i'd prefer it said "OS have to develop and evolve". this OS has taken a step backward and has not evolved. developed certainly, but not evolved.
    see, the OS is best (and most) used on the desktop with a mouse and keyboard, from what i've seen this thing has you emulate touch screen.....which defeats the purpose of a mouse. (also takes a lot of OS control away from me)

and for all the hype they've been giving the "Metro" UI i would consider it a fail that they now need to change the name.....you'd have thought someone would check up on it beforehand.
    now they need to come up with a new name, and try to push that without confusing customers.

As a tablet OS this thing is bombing....not desktop though....
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Just don't use the metro part, can pretty much run it like w7 from the second screen and its windows so you will be able to customise to individual needs

"Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Lol I'm still using Vista, and I'm fine with that.

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I bet Microsoft is already working on the next Windows OS. They know pretty quickly when the public hates their OS.

Windows ME (Sucked quickly, and replaced quickly)
    Windows Vista (Sucked quickly, and replaced quickly)
    Windows 8 (Sucks instantly......)

These are all garbage.

Windows XP
    Windows Seven

These are amazing.
    People have $#@!ty memories. It took 2 service packs to get XP up to par. If you want to go by OS's that were good by themselves it's 95, 2000 and W7. Only if you include post release updates can you add in 98SE, XP SP2+ and Vista SP1+.

Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    The only problem I have with Windows 8 so far is that it is going to be inconsistent.

They are not going 'metro' all the way nor are they dropping the traditional Windows look all the way.

It looks like a mash up of both the metro and the old Windows UI. We'll see and maybe I am wrong...
    Do you understand the entire point of windows? Backwards compatibility and gradual changes. If they did things like OSX they would be far worse off. And metro isn't supposed to take over the desktop, its supposed to supplement it. And MS has pretty much standardized their default program UI around the Ribbon design, so I don't know what you are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    considering its being released for tablets also? and the OS even focuses on tablets? pretty sure it'll sell more than vista
    to that end i'll bet you a tenner!

i'd disagree with that statement partially. i'd prefer it said "OS have to develop and evolve". this OS has taken a step backward and has not evolved. developed certainly, but not evolved.
    see, the OS is best (and most) used on the desktop with a mouse and keyboard, from what i've seen this thing has you emulate touch screen.....which defeats the purpose of a mouse. (also takes a lot of OS control away from me)

and for all the hype they've been giving the "Metro" UI i would consider it a fail that they now need to change the name.....you'd have thought someone would check up on it beforehand.
    now they need to come up with a new name, and try to push that without confusing customers.

As a tablet OS this thing is bombing....not desktop though....
    I wouldn't include Windows 8 RT sales in that number, only full windows 8 licenses for proper computers.

On the desktop side W8 is an improvement over W7 in every way. people just got pissed off that they have to n\learn a new interface/UI for the start menu since it has been replaced with metro.

And they are changing the name to avoid being sued by a European company called Metro AG.

I'm going to quote myself from another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Source.

An interesting reaction from Gabe...Did MS drop the ball on their latest OS?
    Considering performance metrics, W8 is a significant improvement over W7.

Gabe Newell is full of $#@!.

Funny how most people overreact to a partial UI change.

This is the future of Windows (and to a lesser extent OSX) Do people really think MS will just scrap the whole metro thing if W8 is poorly received and go back to how things were with windows 7? No they will just revise metro to make it better with Windows 9.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    I wouldn't include Windows 8 RT sales in that number, only full windows 8 licenses for proper computers.

On the desktop side W8 is an improvement over W7 in every way. people just got pissed off that they have to n\learn a new interface/UI for the start menu since it has been replaced with metro.

And they are changing the name to avoid being sued by a European company called Metro AG.
    didn't i post that in the OP

i only care that it seems over simplified. ie made for easy use on tablets. every thing i've seen seems to support this, but then again, i've never had hands on experience with the OS so....

but like i said, i like it as a tablet OS. for my desktop, i'd prefer something a little more difficult (for want of a better word)

speaking of full retail copies....aren't there like 8 different versions?? i imagine Ultimate still comes with all the bells and whistles?
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    didn't i post that in the OP

i only care that it seems over simplified. ie made for easy use on tablets. every thing i've seen seems to support this, but then again, i've never had hands on experience with the OS so....

but like i said, i like it as a tablet OS. for my desktop, i'd prefer something a little more difficult (for want of a better word)

speaking of full retail copies....aren't there like 8 different versions?? i imagine Ultimate still comes with all the bells and whistles?
    They haven't said what versions will be offered at retail yet.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    As-long as games ( and other applications) still support Win 7, i wont bother changing.

Thread Information