Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    doesn't one engine support that?
    and subsequently, one game
    Lets see..
    Rage, Trials evolution, Battlefield3, Brink, there should be some others by now. (Oh, and Agni demo from Square.)
    There is huge potential on virtual texturing and what can be stored to them, we will see a lot more..

Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    actually, Quake uses it too right?
    from my understanding though, texture LOD is identical regardless of distance. which means close up, textures look ugly.
    Enemy Territory: Quake Wars used a very limited version of it. (only terrain with simple vertical projection of UV and max texture size 32000x32000.)

What RAGE used had texture limit of 128000x128000, but that limit can be easily bypassed and then there is no maximum resolution as such..
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    You guys talking about mega textures?
    Last edited by keefy; 08-10-2012 at 16:51.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    You guys talking about mega textures?
    I started tangent on virtual texturing, yes.
    Here's a talk from this years Siggraph, is someone is interested.
    http://mrelusive.com/publications/pr...ware_final.pdf

And very good post about the subject in general.
    http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.p...7&postcount=39
    Last edited by jlippone; 08-22-2012 at 06:01.

Superior Member

I look for Sony to push the technology. They have to push their new TVs and being an engineering company this is simply what they do. As long as they put enough tech in the box to support it I say go for it. I plan on purchasing a 4k tv as soon as we get them into a little bit more feasible price range. I'm an early adopter and one of those guys that has to have the newest tv trend. Some people go on about their phone or tablet...me its my TV and movies. Just because it is capable doesn't mean it will get utilized. If developers want more power...give it to them.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by davin_g View Post
    I look for Sony to push the technology. They have to push their new TVs and being an engineering company this is simply what they do. As long as they put enough tech in the box to support it I say go for it. I plan on purchasing a 4k tv as soon as we get them into a little bit more feasible price range. I'm an early adopter and one of those guys that has to have the newest tv trend. Some people go on about their phone or tablet...me its my TV and movies. Just because it is capable doesn't mean it will get utilized. If developers want more power...give it to them.
    If Sony says, "4kp" (you get the drift) coming with their new console, we know the games won't barely use it at all, EVER, for the life of that console.

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    The orbis/ps4 might support 4K technically by using a newer hdmi port, so it does support 4k but I dont think games will actually be 4k.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2

Thank you itachi

7. Likes F34R likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    The orbis/ps4 might support 4K technically by using a newer hdmi port, so it does support 4k but I dont think games will actually be 4k.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2
    Exactly.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by davin_g View Post
    Thats fine. Blu-ray discs and new players can support it so even if only a few games do they will be able to play movies and pictures that do. I bought 3 PS3 for the capability of playing movies just as much as playing games. I would definately enjoy the tech. I know it won't be a norm....heck 3D isn't the norm but I love it when it is done well. Super Stardust HD in 3d is a like a complete gen upgrade with the 3d. Killzone and a few others look amazing. Even if its just a few games I will get something out of it. Remember...even if 3rd party devs don't support it Sony usually still does. They like to push technology and I like technology. Besides PC games have different settings. Perhaps devs will allow that to...doubtful but I can hope.

Point is even if its a marginal feature that will hardly be supported by the games most movies are now being shot in 4kp so you know hollywood will get behind it. I will get something out of it even if its movies.

Ancient
    There was a report today saying it'll support 4k, only a good thing if true

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    While I would certainly back them, and want to see 4K in the next PlayStation, unless there is some crazy leap in gpu tech between now and then, it will be just like now, very few 4k games, and those few will be quite barren.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    It will be 720p/1080p upscaled to 4k

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ever read the comments on yahoo articles...priceless. Gives you an idea of how utterly uninformed the public generally is. I know that this is not going to be a driving force in the industry but tbh I don't think this is something that is going to add tons to the production costs. When you start getting into advanced processors and graphics cards and on and on it is natural they are going to be capable of outputting to this level. Who knows maybe the nextbox will too? Sony is a company that continues to innovate. Its just their natural dna. It would be like telling microsoft not to innograte windows 8 or whatever into their console. We may pay a little extra for it but its part of their business model so they are going to support it. Early adopters help lower the costs for everyone else. I don't think this will be a big deal for the PS4. Kinda like 3D wasn't for the PS3. But it will be a nice feather in their cap and people like me will get to enjoy it. Beam me up some 4Kp Batman!

Also...who knows...perhaps PS4 IS their last console and they want to make it as future proof as possible lol...

Ancient
    There was some talk about the PS3 getting 4K support on Gaf, how that is possible I don't know, but its mainly rendering graphics in 4K thats the hard part, displaying? Not so much

Sent via Codec

Forum Guru
    4K resolution? I hope Sony focus on making a system that can handle 1080p@60fps with no screen tear, anti alias too.

4K should be a feature for Blu-ray, and maybe experimental game tech demos.

We don't want another "LAIR" debacle.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Upscale to 4k? yes
    render to 4k? no

seriously guys, its not even worth caring about until prices come down. until then its only a niche product....i apologise if this upsets anyone. but $10,000+ for a screen is ludicrous.
    the point of a console is to be cheaper than the PC, for that money id just behemoth myself a PC.

HDTV's have been around since the nineties and we don't even have a 100% adoption rate for those yet.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanehead View Post
    4K resolution? I hope Sony focus on making a system that can handle 1080p@60fps with no screen tear, anti alias too.

4K should be a feature for Blu-ray, and maybe experimental game tech demos.

We don't want another "LAIR" debacle.
    I think it is for Blu-ray, but like I said it is nice to have it capable, not because we can expect 4k games but it atleast lets 1080p be no problem

Sent via Codec

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    I think this 4k is for movies only. If it is for games than it is a guaranteed 1080p to 4k upscale.

And if they can't even manage 1080p native next gen, then good luck having another 7-10 year lifecycle for the ps4

Forum Guru
    The ability to do 4K is not the only good thing that comes with output port able to send that huge amount of data.

It makes proper VR headsets possible as well. (up to 1080p 120hz for both eyes..)
    And many other things as well, so the support for high resolutions is a good thing.

Also 4K would be nice for photo viewing, GUI, web browsing and so on.

Forum Sage

Just give me 1080p@60Fps MINIMUM on each game.

120 frames per second is where it's at now

Assuming you have a TV that supports it.

BBK. Tapatalking.

22. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    That would be cool if it did support a higher resolution, ONLY if they actually use it and the system isn't under powered. I would buy a higher resolution TV if that happened.
    I would just like to quote myself after this 4K news. $#@! YEAH YOU SPHINCTERS! I am happy now!

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I would just like to quote myself after this 4K news. $#@! YEAH YOU SPHINCTERS! I am happy now!
    Go get your 4K tv. Multiply the resolution by 7, there's your cost lol.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    its ability to "support" was never in doubt was it?

regardless, it will not render at 4k.

maybe this will allow the 100GB Blu-ray (from a few years back) to enter production?

Actors gunna hate
    that might actually be a bad thing... more pin-up no skill actors who "look" beautiful.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    The ability to do 4K is not the only good thing that comes with output port able to send that huge amount of data.

It makes proper VR headsets possible as well. (up to 1080p 120hz for both eyes..)
    And many other things as well, so the support for high resolutions is a good thing.

Also 4K would be nice for photo viewing, GUI, web browsing and so on.
    Quoted because I've agreed with everything you've said in this thread (I think). There is more that this can offer than just the gaming applications. Also this console won't be out for like AT LEAST a year and a half...probably more. It will have to have support technology that in 5-7 years is relevent. You don't think 4k TVs that are being produced today won't be the norm in 5-7 years? I imagine 4kp will be a standard for any TV larger than 40" by that time. Technology always moves ahead. Sony, LG, Samsung, and the rest will continue to make better and more advanced TVs. The PS3 was designed forward thinking! Blu-ray, 1080p, 3D those are all concepts that in 2005/2006 when the final make up of the system was being completed and launched were completely scoffed at because "no one will use it/needs it". Well now its a given that you want a tv it is hd, plays blu-rays, can do 3D and so on. The PS3 is still relevent and will be for the next 5 years because of this. The PS4 will be the same. Sure it won't be fully utilized...especially in the early years...but down the road...things evolve faster than we think...you can't know that...and you can't know what plans Sony will have for the PS4. Gaming may be revolutionized. Its forward thinking and if it doesn't force the cost astronomically high....I applaud Sony....this is what I expect from them. I expect them to push the envelope and bring me something special...and give me a console that has legs to be relevent in 2020.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    1080p is more than enough for me.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Thread Information