Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Master Guru

Windows 8 built-in games branded 'Xbox Windows,' include Achievements

"Xbox Windows" branded games coming to Windows 8 desktops, Surface

Classic Windows freebies Minesweeper and Solitaire are among the first games to fall under Microsoft's new Xbox Windows banner.The fresh game range, outed on X360A.org, appears to be separate from the current Games for Windows Live service.
    Solitaire Collection, Minesweeper and Microsoft Mahjong will offer up to 50 Gamerscore apiece, and presumably will arrive for free with fresh Windows 8 installations.
    Minesweeper will blast out 5 Gamerscore when you are blown up by your first mine. Solitaire Collection offers 10 Gamerscore for flipping over your first card. And Microsoft Mahjong will award you 5 Gamerscore for changing the game's theme.
    Windows 8 is set to launch in October, and will cater for full-sized desktop PCs as well as Microsoft's new range of Surface tablets.
    The company previously insisted it wouldn't drop support for its controversial Games for Windows Live service, but did promise "new investments in Metro style games". Like Minesweeper, presumably.
    Windows 8 will include full Xbox Live integration, offering access to the Games Marketplace, as well as users' Xbox profile, Achievement haul, Avatar functionality and more.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...s-achievements

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/07/m...-xbox-windows/
    Last edited by ONQ; 08-07-2012 at 20:11.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    This is smart on MS's part. Unifying their products.. Rebranding it.

Now all they need to do is implement proper proper Xbox support on Windows 8 lol! MAGIC.
    Awesome techno and dubstep! Visit: http://Solkrieg.com
    Latest Song: Lady GaGa's Monster Dubstep!

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Windows 8 is trash for me. If this all goes into Xbox brand, and it changes to go with Windows 8, I'll be without a new Microsoft gaming system when that releases.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Windows 8 is trash for me. If this all goes into Xbox brand, and it changes to go with Windows 8, I'll be without a new Microsoft gaming system when that releases.
    Wow, is it really that bad? I obviously dont have Windows 8 so thats why I'm asking. If its a train wreck that would affect my purchasing decision as well.

Soldier 95B
    As long as it works and works right I am good to go. Great games is what I need.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    As long as it works and works right I am good to go. Great games is what I need.
    Same here. Windows 8 or not, I still plan to buy on day 1.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Well yeah same here but it might make me less likely to buy at launch since we know they would patch it later. But of course if the games are rockin' then I would break down and change my mind.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    There are great games without xbox live stuff anyway.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    There are great games without xbox live stuff anyway.
    Thats true.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Weird to me that you defend XBL so ardently but then turn around and crap on the latest iteration of their OS lol.

I haven't seen much in the way of Win8 that is 'bad', apart from the Metro UI which you can disable in favor of the traditional desktop. I have heard rumblings from the gaming sector (notably Valve) about how terrible it is, that it isn't an 'open platform'. They're concentrating more seriously on Linux now because of it.

I'll need to look into the issues.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Weird to me that you defend XBL so ardently but then turn around and crap on the latest iteration of their OS lol. I haven't seen much in the way of Win8 that is 'bad', apart from the Metro UI which you can disable in favor of the traditional desktop. I have heard rumblings from the gaming sector (notably Valve) about how terrible it is, that it isn't an 'open platform'. They're concentrating more seriously on Linux now because of it. I'll need to look into the issues.
    Once you do can you post your findings here for us? Would appreciate it.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Weird to me that you defend XBL so ardently but then turn around and crap on the latest iteration of their OS lol.

I haven't seen much in the way of Win8 that is 'bad', apart from the Metro UI which you can disable in favor of the traditional desktop. I have heard rumblings from the gaming sector (notably Valve) about how terrible it is, that it isn't an 'open platform'. They're concentrating more seriously on Linux now because of it.

My comment didn't have shit to do with Xbox Live features. So, if their new gaming OS is based on Windows 8, I can't see it for me. What part of that is hard to understand and instead making it seem like something to do with a product/service of theirs that I like? smh

Just because someone likes a product, doesn't mean they just have to fit into the "click" and like anything with that companies name on it.

13. Likes RaY_210 wishes they had posted this first.
    Soldier 95B

Every version of Windows in my experience has been complete garbage. Including this XP machine I am typing this message on from work. Windows 8 I suspect will be more of the same garbage put out by the MS OS team. Though the metro UI works nicely with Kinect/Xbox as well as a tablet, I don't see it friendly on a PC for daily work. Not that it matters, I won't be using it anyway...unless we upgrade at our work, some century!

PSU Technical Advisor
    My comment didn't have shit to do with Xbox Live features. So, if their new gaming OS is based on Windows 8, I can't see it for me. What part of that is hard to understand and instead making it seem like something to do with a product/service of theirs that I like? smh

Just because someone likes a product, doesn't mean they just have to fit into the "click" and like anything with that companies name on it.
    I shouldn't have teased you, I didn't mean for the post to come across as an insult. It was more of a 'poke' in intent.

@Rad

From what I'm reading, the gaming industry is nervous because they're afraid that MS is going to tighten its grip with Windows 8 on games (and other possible applications) made for the platform. For instance, enforcing a rule where a game must be 'registered' through the windows game\app store and certain protocols must be followed + Microsoft takes a 30% cut of the profits.

I'm not kidding, that is apparently their going rate for their Windows 8 store. They take a third.

If they embrace a more "Xbox Live" like approach with Windows 8, you can begin to see why Valve and Blizzard are freaking out. They want to monetize their OS in a way that, before the mobile revolution, just really wasn't feasible. PC's as a platform have been very open and this is why STEAM thrived in the first place..

It looks like Microsoft wants to end this and transition their OS into something more akin to the mobile and console space concerning content. They want to act as a gatekeeper.

Valve (Gabe Newell) has gone on the record as having said they're "hedging their bets" with Linux thanks to what they know of Windows 8. So they're going to focus on ensuring that STEAM and all of its games are up to speed on non-windows OS's...

Basically we could be witnessing a Linux and OpenGL revolution right before our eyes. In the past 8 or so years Direct X and Windows have stolen the scene... But thanks to this "catastrophe" (Valve and Blizzard's exact phrasing) they're jumping off what they perceive to be a sinking gaming ship to safer harbors. In particular, Ubuntu. (which I love ! =D)
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 08-08-2012 at 22:29.

Forum Sage
    For the record Valve is more annoyed about windows RT. And honestly the commotion about the W8 store is pointless since you can still ship your software on physical media or have people download it from your own website. The W8 store just consolidates everything.

As for the next xbox OS if it isn't completely custom designed from the ground up, it may be based on the W8 kernel (like windows phone . Which is basically what they have done in the past.

Honestly you guys get way too worked up about this. Microsoft is about to create the perfect trifecta of hardware and software, I doubt they would try to screw it up with so much riding on it.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    We all know how amazing Games for windows live is.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    I shouldn't have teased you, I didn't mean for the post to come across as an insult. It was more of a 'poke' in intent.

@Rad

From what I'm reading, the gaming industry is nervous because they're afraid that MS is going to tighten its grip with Windows 8 on games (and other possible applications) made for the platform. For instance, enforcing a rule where a game must be 'registered' through the windows game\app store and certain protocols must be followed + Microsoft takes a 30% cut of the profits.

I'm not kidding, that is apparently their going rate for their Windows 8 store. They take a third.

If they embrace a more "Xbox Live" like approach with Windows 8, you can begin to see why Valve and Blizzard are freaking out. They want to monetize their OS in a way that, before the mobile revolution, just really wasn't feasible. PC's as a platform have been very open and this is why STEAM thrived in the first place..

It looks like Microsoft wants to end this and transition their OS into something more akin to the mobile and console space concerning content. They want to act as a gatekeeper.

Valve (Gabe Newell) has gone on the record as having said they're "hedging their bets" with Linux thanks to what they know of Windows 8. So they're going to focus on ensuring that STEAM and all of its games are up to speed on non-windows OS's...

Basically we could be witnessing a Linux and OpenGL revolution right before our eyes. In the past 8 or so years Direct X and Windows have stolen the scene... But thanks to this "catastrophe" (Valve and Blizzard's exact phrasing) they're jumping off what they perceive to be a sinking gaming ship to safer harbors. In particular, Ubuntu. (which I love ! =D)
    It's all good lol. I didnt take it as an insult at all.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    We all know how amazing Games for windows live is.
    We also know it was a half assed attempt

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim

@Rad

If this is true, I REALLY REALLY want a Valve/Steam gaming OS now!

Only reason why I have a laptop running Windows 7 at all.

PSU Technical Advisor
    From what I'm reading it is, and I don't think their worry is only rooted in Windows RT. The comments I read were coming down very hard on Windows 8 as a whole and they are quite afraid of the general direction they percieve MS to be taking with their newest OS iteration...

Forum Sage
    From what I'm reading it is, and I don't think their worry is only rooted in Windows RT. The comments I read were coming down very hard on Windows 8 as a whole and they are quite afraid of the general direction they percieve MS to be taking with their newest OS iteration...
    Its just another option for consumers.

Hell wasn't gabe newell anti ps3 until one E3 conference when he wasn't.

23. Likes Admartian wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Technical Advisor
    He changed his tune on the PS3 (not PSN) because of how open and flexible PSN was to developers. Sony allowed him to get STEAM works over onto it with very little fuss.

Microsoft refused and, to my knowledge, still refuses to play ball with Valve.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    He changed his tune on the PS3 (not PSN) because of how open and flexible PSN was to developers. Sony allowed him to get STEAM works over onto it with very little fuss.

Don't forget Newell's dislike of windows 8

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18996377

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I shouldn't have teased you, I didn't mean for the post to come across as an insult. It was more of a 'poke' in intent. @Rad From what I'm reading, the gaming industry is nervous because they're afraid that MS is going to tighten its grip with Windows 8 on games (and other possible applications) made for the platform. For instance, enforcing a rule where a game must be 'registered' through the windows game\app store and certain protocols must be followed + Microsoft takes a 30% cut of the profits. I'm not kidding, that is apparently their going rate for their Windows 8 store. They take a third. If they embrace a more "Xbox Live" like approach with Windows 8, you can begin to see why Valve and Blizzard are freaking out. They want to monetize their OS in a way that, before the mobile revolution, just really wasn't feasible. PC's as a platform have been very open and this is why STEAM thrived in the first place.. It looks like Microsoft wants to end this and transition their OS into something more akin to the mobile and console space concerning content. They want to act as a gatekeeper. Valve (Gabe Newell) has gone on the record as having said they're "hedging their bets" with Linux thanks to what they know of Windows 8. So they're going to focus on ensuring that STEAM and all of its games are up to speed on non-windows OS's... Basically we could be witnessing a Linux and OpenGL revolution right before our eyes. In the past 8 or so years Direct X and Windows have stolen the scene... But thanks to this "catastrophe" (Valve and Blizzard's exact phrasing) they're jumping off what they perceive to be a sinking gaming ship to safer harbors. In particular, Ubuntu. (which I love ! =D)
    Wow. Thanks for that info. I didnt know any of that. And it sounds like PS4 could end up getting great support from Valve because of this.

Forum Sage

XBL is a closed system. It makes no sense for MS to allow valve to put steam on the xbox.

And MS has said nothing about its cut for games on the windows store, 30% is only for normal software. And I have a felling that is in line with what apple charges on the mac app store.

Thread Information