Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Ancient
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sony must certainly know that online gaming and digital distribution is the future. Why wouldn’t Sony invest far more cash into that market to capitalize on the trend? After all, it’s the smart move.
    PSPGO & the fact Sony are the only company that offers retail games in a digital format on their consoles.......I ain't even bother its another article from someone who don't know what they're talking about

And judging by what Sony does offer and has to offer in future releases I believe they're one of the companies that remembers what gaming is about, the only thing Sony don't understand is that the Vita needs games too, everything about the machine is perfect and its THEM thats $#@!ing up by not releasing $#@! for it, hell we wouldn't mind if they actually did release $#@!!, 3DS managed ok untill the decent titles arrived.

And cue the quoting of people telling me I'm wrong

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    PSPGO & the fact Sony are the only company that offers retail games in a digital format on their consoles.......I ain't even bother its another article from someone who don't know what they're talking about

And judging by what Sony does offer and has to offer in future releases I believe they're one of the companies that remembers what gaming is about, the only thing Sony don't understand is that the Vita needs games too, everything about the machine is perfect and its THEM thats $#@!ing up by not releasing $#@! for it, hell we wouldn't mind if they actually did release $#@!!, 3DS managed ok untill the decent titles arrived.

And cue the quoting of people telling me I'm wrong
    you're wrong i kid i kid

was gunna get a vita for a cousin of mine. trolled the GT reviews for some good games. to my surprise, every game on the list i could find instore
    titles. vita needs. soon. hell i'll even acknowledge COD for vita despite my previous stance

addendum, variety also.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    "The console launched at a price that was far too expensive for what customers were getting"

I lol'd.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    I lol'd.
    The funniest thing about the Vita was the price, people predicted it would cost more and was shocked when Sony announced the price because they thought it was a bargain, flash forward to release and it became overpriced overnight, I know the price of the 3DS dropped which made more expensive compared, but still I think a lot of people what a lot for nothing these days....mainly of Sony thou.
    ie: if the 3DS was 99 pounds people would expect Sony to sell for 30 pounds with free game, and that is no joke
    you can look on forums and see how crazy some request are, its unbelievable, I truly feel sorry for Sony ( yeah their a large company so I shouldn't ) but I do.
    Last edited by TGO; 08-12-2012 at 20:28.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    The funniest thing about the Vita was the price, people predicted it would cost more and was shocked when Sony announced the price because they thought it was a bargain, flash forward to release and it became overpriced overnight, I know the price of the 3DS dropped which made more expensive compared, but still I think a lot of people what a lot for nothing these days....mainly of Sony thou. ie: if the 3DS was 99 pounds people would expect Sony to sell for 30 pounds with free game, and that is no joke you can look on forums and see how crazy some request are, its unbelievable, I truly feel sorry for Sony ( yeah their a large company so I shouldn't ) but I do.
    Thats because people didnt know about the overpriced memory card at that time. Once they did then they added that to the hardware price since even some retail games like Uncharted required a memory card. Suddenly the price of entry became considerably higher. Especially if you buy your games digitally.

PSPGO & the fact Sony are the only company that offers retail games in a digital format on their consoles.......I ain't even bother its another article from someone who don't know what they're talking about And judging by what Sony does offer and has to offer in future releases I believe they're one of the companies that remembers what gaming is about, the only thing Sony don't understand is that the Vita needs games too, everything about the machine is perfect and its THEM thats $#@!ing up by not releasing $#@! for it, hell we wouldn't mind if they actually did release $#@!!, 3DS managed ok untill the decent titles arrived. And cue the quoting of people telling me I'm wrong
    MS offers retail games in digital format on their console as well. Its called games on demand. So you actually are wrong about Sony being the only one that does.
    Last edited by DarkVincent07; 08-12-2012 at 22:23. Reason: dp

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Thats because people didnt know about the overpriced memory card at that time. Once they did then they added that to the hardware price since even some retail games like Uncharted required a memory card. Suddenly the price of entry became considerably higher. Especially if you buy your games digitally.

MS offers retail games in digital format on their console as well. Its called games on demand. So you actually are wrong about Sony being the only one that does.
    trust you to do it
    but you get my point, Sony offers retail games digitally & even release a digital only console, and ya got this jackass telling them digital is the future & you're ignoring it.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Huh? It's actually quite the opposite. Sony put $20 million into their Pub Fund which they used to offer financial assistance to indie devs. It is responsible for games like Journey, Dyad, Unfinished Swan, Datura and Papo & Yo. PlayStation Mobile is all about promoting indie development.
    you just pointed out exactly what I am talking about. basically because the console isn't supporting it nearly as well as it could be, PSN is a backup. But again, Xboxlive I believe has just as much I would think. the PS3 console itself in terms of indie disc based games is lacking. journey, flow, etc etc that's fine but again I can group those games in one category.. Where are the indie based RPG's? and stuff like that, indie based action/adventure, indie based horror? enough to count on one hand, that's what it is.

playstation mobile whatever, I want full fledge indie based games for pete sakes and the PS3 doesn't have much of that at all. I don't want journey or flow o.O if Sony doesn't expand the indie dev mindset back to what the PS1 had, we will be stuck with indie based short games, and developers such as EA, Activision etc etc will probably make whatever is popular at the moment.

PS1 and PS2 had quite a few RPG's, of course you had your main RPG's but then indie RPG's as well. go count them, then count the ones on PS3, not just RPG but all genres.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 08-13-2012 at 01:26.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Tech analysts are saying that the home console idea is pretty much dead. They're blaming tablets in general.

I dunno, as much as it's growing in popularity I think Console/PC (core) gaming should never be neglected and should be the main vehicle for game companies.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

9. Likes Versus likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    I don't even think that's a fair article for the most part. Yea the Vita is doing bad ok we gotcha. But beating up on Sony for not "catching up on the motion gaming like Nintendo" or "not having as good a Online service like MS" is just crap.

Sony didn't and still doesn't NEED motion gaming to be plausible. Everybody effing knows motion was a fad. And Sony has a good online structure. It's free. It gets the job done.

If anything the articles didn't point out the good things we've got out of the PS3 like the first party offering and how it's still the best console of the 3 just by judging the system itself.

Gaming as a whole is in a big downtime atm and waiting for next-gen to revive things. Sony not the only company doing meh atm.

Master Guru
    I don't think Sony has really done anything different than Microsoft and Nintendo. They just had a slow launch due to the $600 price tag of the PS3 and launching a year later didn't help them at all.

Sony is delivering the games still. I thought that's what gaming is about. So if anything they have a better grasp on what gaming is all about than their competitors do. The Wii's success is based off gimmick controls and while i love my 360 i highly doubt it would be ahead of the PS3 in sales if not for Sony's early blunders this generation.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    XSpike
    Quote Originally Posted by Versus View Post
    I don't even think that's a fair article for the most part. Yea the Vita is doing bad ok we gotcha. But beating up on Sony for not "catching up on the motion gaming like Nintendo" or "not having as good a Online service like MS" is just crap.

Sony didn't and still doesn't NEED motion gaming to be plausible. Everybody effing knows motion was a fad. And Sony has a good online structure. It's free. It gets the job done.

If anything the articles didn't point out the good things we've got out of the PS3 like the first party offering and how it's still the best console of the 3 just by judging the system itself.

Gaming as a whole is in a big downtime atm and waiting for next-gen to revive things. Sony not the only company doing meh atm.
    I agree, Sony has totally caught up to MS on the online part in my opinion Sony over took MS quite awhile ago for the online services. Sure MS has cross play and the rest, but Sony can't add that into the PS3 due to limiting ram. Which is fair enough, as know know all that WILL be in the PS4. And it isn't all that important anyways (for me).

But what makes Sony so much better is, its FREE and if you want to pay the same amount as a 360 owner does just to get access to demo's and online play, us PS3 users get 4 free PS3/PSN titles each month, free 1 hour full game trail, and much more.

Seriously how can anyone argue that MS has a better online system...

At least Sony isn't going to come last this gen, MS is unlike all those news reports ages ago saying Sony is going to come a distance last. Sony is just over/under a million behind MS in terms of hardware sales, and will past them in a year or so. Which is good for a console that got bashed so much and released a whole year after MS. It shows that Sony still has more support then MS.
    Bow down before Drippy - Lord High Lord of the Fairies

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by XSpike View Post
    I agree, Sony has totally caught up to MS on the online part in my opinion Sony over took MS quite awhile ago for the online services. Sure MS has cross play and the rest, but Sony can't add that into the PS3 due to limiting ram. Which is fair enough, as know know all that WILL be in the PS4. And it isn't all that important anyways (for me).

But what makes Sony so much better is, its FREE and if you want to pay the same amount as a 360 owner does just to get access to demo's and online play, us PS3 users get 4 free PS3/PSN titles each month, free 1 hour full game trail, and much more.

Seriously how can anyone argue that MS has a better online system...

At least Sony isn't going to come last this gen, MS is unlike all those news reports ages ago saying Sony is going to come a distance last. Sony is just over/under a million behind MS in terms of hardware sales, and will past them in a year or so. Which is good for a console that got bashed so much and released a whole year after MS. It shows that Sony still has more support then MS.
    Well I'm no 360 gamer, but they simply do have the better online system. The question is whether or not we as individuals see value in it or not. The much a fore mentioned XGC and ease of matchmaking as well as an overall stream lined online multiplayer experience are things that have cemented the 360 as the go to platform for online gaming.

Each of us have different tastes though and your tastes dictate where you'll find value. I don't find value in XBL because I don't need to pay to have my hand held through a match making process if I want to play online. I don't need a super easy slim lined experience for joining my friends etc. it's not rocket science and I can manage fine on PSNs infrastructure. For a gamer like me PSN offers the best value, letting me game online when I want but not making me feel like im wasting money if I'm not. However, in terms of features etc, XBL is definitely the better online system imho.

Ultimate Veteran
    I think people just don't want to like Sony. I think the press just doesn't want to like Sony. I think the brand has just suffered over the course of this past generation. We had two generations of steak fed to us and simply didn't want more of the same. Nevermind that you have easily paid $600 on your launch XBox360. Nevermind that you got a BluRay player for your HDTV. Forget that you've gotten more IP this generation than the other console platforms..

The Playstation has taken the worst of most expensive and free from the eyes of the consumer. It was the "stupidly expensive" console with free services. In all fairness, right when things were starting to look up for the console and it was expected to take the number 2 worldwide sales place, their network got hacked. It's not like the Playstation has been rolling over and playing dead like some people would believe. It just hasn't caught a break.

No, I don't think that Sony has gotten out of touch with the gamer. It is the gamer who has gotten out of touch with Sony. So long as the US market is willing to line up for more Kinect games and timed exclusive DLC, what's there to do? People's tastes have changed. Getting a complete game on one disc just doesn't "turn on" the consumer the way it once has. As much as some of us (myself included) railed against all the corporate gibberish about "connected media delivery devices" and "premium add-on content", that is exactly where the US went and dragged the rest of us kicking and screaming.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    I think people just don't want to like Sony. I think the press just doesn't want to like Sony. I think the brand has just suffered over the course of this past generation. We had two generations of steak fed to us and simply didn't want more of the same. Nevermind that you have easily paid $600 on your launch XBox360. Nevermind that you got a BluRay player for your HDTV. Forget that you've gotten more IP this generation than the other console platforms..

The Playstation has taken the worst of most expensive and free from the eyes of the consumer. It was the "stupidly expensive" console with free services. In all fairness, right when things were starting to look up for the console and it was expected to take the number 2 worldwide sales place, their network got hacked. It's not like the Playstation has been rolling over and playing dead like some people would believe. It just hasn't caught a break.

No, I don't think that Sony has gotten out of touch with the gamer. It is the gamer who has gotten out of touch with Sony. So long as the US market is willing to line up for more Kinect games and timed exclusive DLC, what's there to do? People's tastes have changed. Getting a complete game on one disc just doesn't "turn on" the consumer the way it once has. As much as some of us (myself included) railed against all the corporate gibberish about "connected media delivery devices" and "premium add-on content", that is exactly where the US went and dragged the rest of us kicking and screaming.
    I have no misconceptions of any anti-Sony bias or any anti-Sony campaign. It's commonplace for companies to fall in and out if favor with consumers. It happens all of the time.

I'm confused by the part about gamers getting out of touch with Sony. I'm not saying that this has happened, but if it did, it's Sony's obligation to roll with the changes. Sony MUST change with the times IF the times are changing.

Sony cannot and will not survive if times are changing and they are not.

This post is in direct response to the post I quoted. I am not saying any of this is occurring, I'm only responding to the statements made in the quoted post.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III

Meh.. I think people just don't want to dislike Sony. They [Sony] actually have the least amount of dislikes out of all the consoles I own.
    Last edited by F34R; 08-13-2012 at 17:57. Reason: added [Sony]

Ultimate Veteran
    with the PS1 a d PS2 sold so great i think it went to sonys head thinking the ps3 will sell the same way, i love my ps3.
    but sony did a lot of things wrong with the ps3 with price and stuff,. if they go back to the old ways they wil be better off

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    with the PS1 a d PS2 sold so great i think it went to sonys head thinking the ps3 will sell the same way, i love my ps3.
    but sony did a lot of things wrong with the ps3 with price and stuff,. if they go back to the old ways they wil be better off
    Right there with ya.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    I think Vita saw Sony return to their old ways...or at least adopt newer and better ways. Tech built around a budget and constant feedback from 1st and 3rd party devs. They just need to make a console that isn't built from chips recovered from the Roswell crash and to price it decently. An affordable, understandable console with Sony's first party will be a return to the heydays.

20. Likes Fijiandoce likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Do not bait other members. ~Blacksite

Regarding the Vita, I think Sony didn't do enough to push a steady stream of games from launch onwards. And I do think they're kinda cannibalising things by having too many crossovers,not enough exclusives.

Still doesn't mean they're not as bad/as good as Nintendo or Microsoft. They all have their ups and downs, doesn't mean we need to bash the threads of the company we don't side with pretty much every single friccking time.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 08-13-2012 at 21:50.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    trust you to do it but you get my point, Sony offers retail games digitally & even release a digital only console, and ya got this jackass telling them digital is the future & you're ignoring it.
    Trust me to do what? Say something when I see misinformation? Yeah you can trust me to do that. And I'm not ignoring anything. I actually agree with your main comment. But dont get mad at me just because you were misinformed about what each console offers. We all make mistakes so just chill out bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I think Vita saw Sony return to their old ways...or at least adopt newer and better ways. Tech built around a budget and constant feedback from 1st and 3rd party devs. They just need to make a console that isn't built from chips recovered from the Roswell crash and to price it decently. An affordable, understandable console with Sony's first party will be a return to the heydays.
    I totally agree with you. If Sony does that they will definitely be on the right road.
    Last edited by Lethal; 08-13-2012 at 21:51.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    I totally agree with you. If Sony does that they will definitely be on the right road.
    They should just eat the losses by dropping the price of the Vita and making sure they release exclusive games on it.

If they do that, they'll find more buyers. Including me, who's not a real big hh console guy.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    They should just eat the losses by dropping the price of the Vita and making sure they release exclusive games on it. If they do that, they'll find more buyers. Including me, who's not a real big hh console guy.
    I think so too.

Ancient
    Trust me to do what? Say something when I see misinformation? Yeah you can trust me to do that. And I'm not ignoring anything. I actually agree with your main comment. But dont get mad at me just because you were misinformed about what each console offers. We all make mistakes so just chill out bro.

That was a friendly/joke "trust you to spot it" Rad

Master Guru

I cant think of a single instance when speaking to anyone face to face saying they dislike the Playstation, its probably the other way round actually.

I think it's more of a case that its hard for some people to digest that Sony actually got a few things wrong this generation, but thats not to say they aren't doing something about it, look how close the sales are now.
    Wii # 8752-0092-2306-9612
    PSN ID : pez555

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Pez_555 View Post
    I cant think of a single instance when speaking to anyone face to face saying they dislike the Playstation, its probably the other way round actually.

I think it's more of a case that its hard for some people to digest that Sony actually got a few things wrong this generation, but thats not to say they aren't doing something about it, look how close the sales are now.
    Well, to that end, I actually agree. Their communication at the onset of the generation set the tone for their fall from grace. They truly acted like the win was going to be handed to them and completely failed to communicate what they were doing better. Over the course of the generation, they had to play catch up despite putting the better machine out there.

I truly believe the gaming press was complicit in the fall of the Playstation brand, though. I've made the argument in the past, but in light of this article it truly deserves to be brought up. If you line up the advertising dollars with who is doing what, it is blatantly clear who has been paying the bills this generation. One console maker got a free pass on catastrophic hardware failures while one got dragged through the street over the online network being compromised. One got crucified before a system ever got on the shelf over a $500 pricetag while not a single peep was heard about the plausibility of your console costing the same after two years of ownership and online fees (and please, for the love of all that is sacred and unholy, don't feed me the line that a first year console buyer isn't a hardcore gamer that will choose to have an offline console).

In short. With my admitted fan loyalty to the Playstation aside. Sony simply played the game badly and lost a lot of fans for the luxury. Fans, such as myself, were decrying that this generation was going to take an ugly turn and that is exactly what it did. It was the fringe that I get lumped with that called it and promptly got lambasted and thrown to the side as things went exactly according to the worst case scenario. Anyone who thought Sony was going to get Dreamcasted this gen was a bigger fool than can ever be attributed to me. That being said. Sony's best move is to keep their head down and follow through with their gameplan at this point.

A cheaper and more scalable SKU is right around the corner, and it's effect on software sales will be noticable. This will win back developer support in time for PS4. The Vita is a slow burn, but then again, so was the PSP. People thought that platform was stillborn and dead all the way up to the Vita announcement despite selling more units than the Xbox 360 much less the first XBox. It's easy to overshadow Sony's handheld business when compared to Nintendo, but to utterly dismiss it would be foolish. These next two years will prove that the marathon business model is not a losing strategy. Let's just hope that Sony's tone is a whole lot less "RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RAAAAAAAAAAACEEERRRRRR" when it comes time for PS4. If I was a betting man, I'd bet on a real A-Game.

Thread Information