Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Great games you listed, but I felt a slow spin down once the word Microsoft was mentioned. They definitely had some great games before Mass Effect was released. Also, the HD-DVD was supported for some things they did to get a foot hold in Japan, which didn't really work. It wasn't in order to compete with Sony in the storage format war.
    Last edited by dc89; 08-14-2012 at 10:12. Reason: removed quote of rule breaking post

Ancient
    Nice post Lefein.
    I think what Sony is missing & yes I am quoting Rocky here
    Is the taste for blood, the eye of the tiger, they came into this market after blood, Nintendo's blood.
    and after the success of Playstation & PS2 they thought they was unstoppable......which they are right, Sony of the PSX era would have slaughtered the competition this gen, they would of gone to great lengths to secure every worthwhile exclusive, they would of taken a loss if it hurt the competition, they was great to work with horrible to be against & they had a passion to win, they've done great this gen 1st party wise.
    but as a company they've been kinda a $#@!, they lounged back expecting to win & played nice perhaps it was that howard stinger bloke, who knows but as Kaz is of the originals perhaps he'll bring it back together
    I hope with PS4 they give the competition a nasty surprise & get back that eye of the tiger.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Well, to that end, I actually agree. Their communication at the onset of the generation set the tone for their fall from grace. They truly acted like the win was going to be handed to them and completely failed to communicate what they were doing better. Over the course of the generation, they had to play catch up despite putting the better machine out there.

I truly believe the gaming press was complicit in the fall of the Playstation brand, though. I've made the argument in the past, but in light of this article it truly deserves to be brought up. If you line up the advertising dollars with who is doing what, it is blatantly clear who has been paying the bills this generation. One console maker got a free pass on catastrophic hardware failures while one got dragged through the street over the online network being compromised. One got crucified before a system ever got on the shelf over a $500 pricetag while not a single peep was heard about the plausibility of your console costing the same after two years of ownership and online fees (and please, for the love of all that is sacred and unholy, don't feed me the line that a first year console buyer isn't a hardcore gamer that will choose to have an offline console).

In short. With my admitted fan loyalty to the Playstation aside. Sony simply played the game badly and lost a lot of fans for the luxury. Fans, such as myself, were decrying that this generation was going to take an ugly turn and that is exactly what it did. It was the fringe that I get lumped with that called it and promptly got lambasted and thrown to the side as things went exactly according to the worst case scenario. Anyone who thought Sony was going to get Dreamcasted this gen was a bigger fool than can ever be attributed to me. That being said. Sony's best move is to keep their head down and follow through with their gameplan at this point.

A cheaper and more scalable SKU is right around the corner, and it's effect on software sales will be noticable. This will win back developer support in time for PS4. The Vita is a slow burn, but then again, so was the PSP. People thought that platform was stillborn and dead all the way up to the Vita announcement despite selling more units than the Xbox 360 much less the first XBox. It's easy to overshadow Sony's handheld business when compared to Nintendo, but to utterly dismiss it would be foolish. These next two years will prove that the marathon business model is not a losing strategy. Let's just hope that Sony's tone is a whole lot less "RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RAAAAAAAAAAACEEERRRRRR" when it comes time for PS4. If I was a betting man, I'd bet on a real A-Game.
    I agree a lot with you there. Sony did have a lot of things fall wrong for them this gen but they also were very egotistical in their approach. I still feel they are the worst of the 3 at marketing and promotion. They should just go hire like Geico's whole advertising staff away or something like that. Someone that knows how to capture people's attention and put out good commercials. I also agree that the PS4 will be more successful simply because I don't think Sony has as many agendas to push. The Cell basically failed....no reason to promote and back a technology that is so risky and far from tech main stream (despite its attractive possibilities) and they don't have to push a brand new storage media either. (They won that one at least!) Those are two huge cost drivers and technology hurdles that held back production and development of games for the console. With no horse in these races they don't have to subsidize or force that into their console. We should see a much cheaper (For them) console to build that is easier to develop for that can release along side the next xbox at a similar price and graphic set. That should benefit them.

As for your accurate accessment of the media....well my friend simply look up who has major advertising ties, stock/shareholders, and flat out ownership of a lot of the major media outlets. Yes Microsoft here in America and even abroad have a huge stake in and no doubt affect on the stories and tone the media will project. Not to derail this thread and please no one take this but it is the same type of thing with the US media and politics with ABC, MSNBC, NBC, and CNN all having significant Democratic/Liberal ties which slants all their coverages to that side. Obviously with almost all major news outlets favoring one side (with Fox on the opposite) a majority of Americans are going to get that onesided view of the politics....and in this case consoles. Off that but yes Microsoft can definately influence the media stories done and Sony felt that early and often while they treaded very lightly on the Microsoft blunders.

I know someone said Sony needs to go back to what they did with the PS1 and PS2 but to be honest they haven't changed. Their console last gen and this gen had the widest array and amount of IPs and quality first party games, hardest to develop for get power out of (emotion engine/cell-spus), least online capabilities (xbox/360 both exceeded Sonys efforts), PS1,PS2,PSP, PSPGO, PS3 all introduced new media formats basically, marketing always been spotty,(my favorite are still the ones with the wombat screaming through his megaphone at Nintendo headquarters) prices always high PS2/PS3 both high. I mean lets get real Sony hasn't changed much at all in terms of their direction and perhaps that is a problem but get back to what they did before?? I'm not really following.

I agree the PSP was a success...they sold tons. Not a success in comparison with Nintendo or Iphones or IPADS probably but it was and if they can sustain the Vita long enough for it to catch that type of steam it will too. Sony is being measured too much by the PS2. PS3/PSP/VITA/FUTURE PS4. Fact is the thing they had before they don't now is basically no competition. PS2 basically had none....xbox came waaaay to late and Nintendo didn't compete by basically releasing a crap console and was in no mans land for awhile there and the console that could have competed and probably won...the Dreamcast simply was superior but didn't have the money to back it. Sony fell into the console industry and have done well. But to continue they will have to innovate and do some things differently if they want to continue or to succeed again.....happy accidents like PS1 and fluke industry circumstances like PS2 won't happen likely again unless Microsoft screws up royally. Like the PS3 showed a really solid console that is superior in hardware and first party support won't win it by itself. PS4 will take a combination of forward thinking, simple but advanced hardware, great software lineup, and a little luck to get them back to #1.

Do they understand the industry.....yes....did they recognize changes and react quickly and appropriately this last gen...no...can they fix it for next....we shall see!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Well, to that end, I actually agree. Their communication at the onset of the generation set the tone for their fall from grace. They truly acted like the win was going to be handed to them and completely failed to communicate what they were doing better. Over the course of the generation, they had to play catch up despite putting the better machine out there.

I truly believe the gaming press was complicit in the fall of the Playstation brand, though. I've made the argument in the past, but in light of this article it truly deserves to be brought up. If you line up the advertising dollars with who is doing what, it is blatantly clear who has been paying the bills this generation. One console maker got a free pass on catastrophic hardware failures while one got dragged through the street over the online network being compromised. One got crucified before a system ever got on the shelf over a $500 pricetag while not a single peep was heard about the plausibility of your console costing the same after two years of ownership and online fees (and please, for the love of all that is sacred and unholy, don't feed me the line that a first year console buyer isn't a hardcore gamer that will choose to have an offline console).

In short. With my admitted fan loyalty to the Playstation aside. Sony simply played the game badly and lost a lot of fans for the luxury. Fans, such as myself, were decrying that this generation was going to take an ugly turn and that is exactly what it did. It was the fringe that I get lumped with that called it and promptly got lambasted and thrown to the side as things went exactly according to the worst case scenario. Anyone who thought Sony was going to get Dreamcasted this gen was a bigger fool than can ever be attributed to me. That being said. Sony's best move is to keep their head down and follow through with their gameplan at this point.

A cheaper and more scalable SKU is right around the corner, and it's effect on software sales will be noticable. This will win back developer support in time for PS4. The Vita is a slow burn, but then again, so was the PSP. People thought that platform was stillborn and dead all the way up to the Vita announcement despite selling more units than the Xbox 360 much less the first XBox. It's easy to overshadow Sony's handheld business when compared to Nintendo, but to utterly dismiss it would be foolish. These next two years will prove that the marathon business model is not a losing strategy. Let's just hope that Sony's tone is a whole lot less "RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RAAAAAAAAAAACEEERRRRRR" when it comes time for PS4. If I was a betting man, I'd bet on a real A-Game.
    Agreed.

Sony didn't help themselves in the beginning, but after they started to try and rectify it, the Gaming press was already in vulture FUD, moneyhat (in some cases) mode.

Damage had been done.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Great games you listed, but I felt a slow spin down once the word Microsoft was mentioned. They definitely had some great games before Mass Effect was released. Also, the HD-DVD was supported for some things they did to get a foot hold in Japan, which didn't really work. It wasn't in order to compete with Sony in the storage format war.
    Riight. They definitely wanted to slow Blu-ray's momentum down because it would affect PS3's sales...

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    That wasn't a doable reason, especially with HD DVD not for gaming. The blu-ray want a fight for Microsoft at all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    That was a friendly/joke "trust you to spot it" Rad
    Oh ok. I misunderstood you. My bad.

Forum Sage
    That wasn't a doable reason, especially with HD DVD not for gaming. The blu-ray want a fight for Microsoft at all.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Blu-ray isn't just for gaming....

Sony's selling point was HD gaming + HD movies. Microsoft wouldn't have had that (if they didn't support HD-DVD.)

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Blu-ray isn't just for gaming....

Sony's selling point was HD gaming + HD movies. Microsoft wouldn't have had that (if they didn't support HD-DVD.)
    Microsoft didn't care about the movies being slowed. They make money off of blu-ray. Their goal was supporting JPN companies in order to get in the door with support from these companies. That's the reason the backed hd-dvd like they did.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Ancient
    Microsoft didn't care about the movies being slowed. They make money off of blu-ray. Their goal was supporting JPN companies in order to get in the door with support from these companies. That's the reason the backed hd-dvd like they did.

I honestly thought MS just wanted to offer a HD format with helping out the competition at same time, they didn't care if HD-DVD won
    They just backed it to be awkward, well thats my 2 cents

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Huh? It's actually quite the opposite. Sony put $20 million into their Pub Fund which they used to offer financial assistance to indie devs. It is responsible for games like Journey, Dyad, Unfinished Swan, Datura and Papo & Yo. PlayStation Mobile is all about promoting indie development.
    I am not actually sure if you are serious here? The indie support from Microsoft and the Xbox 360 is leagues beyond the Sony offering. The Pub Fund is indeed a good start though, and I am glad they announced that.

Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Sony are the only company that offers retail games in a digital format on their consoles.
    Microsoft offers this, offered it before Sony, and has substantially more retail games available in digital format.

As far as the article, it may have some points. But to the average gamer, I don't think it makes a $#@! bit of difference. There is nearly 65 million PS3's sold. There is like 100 million PSN user accounts between Vita, PS3, Playstation.com and PSP. If Sony didn't really understand gaming, how is it that they are only 3 million behind the Xbox 360? If that is the case, Microsoft doesn't get gaming any longer. It's time to face the facts. There are 3 consoles now. The market will no longer be saturated with just a single console (or 2). They are sharing the space, so sales will not be as high as they used to be.

The games? They are there in droves. Retail, digital, indie, and genres. PS3 or Playstation has a lot of games, a lot of exclusives, a lot of game sales, a lot of great game reviews. Billions of hours have probably been played on PS3 combined. Hell, look at Twisted Metal. While IMO, the game is a POS, that doesn't change the fact that there is a small populous out there that wanted a new Twisted Metal, and Sony knew that it would only appeal to a select niche crowd. That is something that other first party studios would NOT have taken a chance on and released. It's about GAMES.

Sony continues to add features via firmware updates that gamers have asked for, and features that gamers haven't asked for. They don't charge for online access, and they don't overwhelm you with "apps", "movies", "avatars". Sony lets you turn on your PS3, and the focus is apparent. We have a GAMING rig first and foremost, with a ton of support.

The article author can say whatever they want. That doesn't change the fact that Sony clearly GETS gaming.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    I think xbox using the HD DVD format was a reaction to the PS3 having blu ray however microsoft never used it as a selling point for their console like sony has. I personally use my ps3 more weekly for movies.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I am not actually sure if you are serious here? The indie support from Microsoft and the Xbox 360 is leagues beyond the Sony offering. The Pub Fund is indeed a good start though, and I am glad they announced that.
    Oh, my comment had nothing to do with Sony's efforts in relation to MSs, can see how it looked that way though.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Oh, my comment had nothing to do with Sony's efforts in relation to MSs, can see how it looked that way though.
    Ah my bad. I read too much into it. I stand corrected.

Ultimate Veteran

Their reasoning was to artificially inflate the price of the early generation of blu-laser diodes. The competition between HD-DVD and BluRay Associations for those diodes in turn inflated the cost of PS3 production.

They didn't need to win the HD-DVD format war to put a serious running kick into the pants of Sony.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yeah I dont see how anybody can say Sony doesnt get gaming and still keep a straight face. If anything thats the one thing Sony gets more than anything else.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Anyone who doesn't already know the answer to this question should watch the Gamescom presser. So full of win. There was a lot of really artistic content there. Looks refreshing to see such titles. I was even kind of captivated by Puppeteer.

Elite Member

I don't think this gen got ugly, this is the best generation of gaming ever but it's dragging on a bit now.

Sony still understands gaming and understands it well - but only bigger budget core gaming.

Sony knows that its sort of gamer cares about gigaflops and floating point comparisons, and knows the sony gamer cares about better graphics, more features and good IPs and bragging rights and Sony has delivered.

I think where Sony is lagging behind is the farmville and runescape crowd which is worth a lot.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_Lilith View Post
    I don't think this gen got ugly, this is the best generation of gaming ever but it's dragging on a bit now.

Sony still understands gaming and understands it well - but only bigger budget core gaming.

Sony knows that its sort of gamer cares about gigaflops and floating point comparisons, and knows the sony gamer cares about better graphics, more features and good IPs and bragging rights and Sony has delivered.

I think where Sony is lagging behind is the farmville and runescape crowd which is worth a lot.
    I think if you ignore thw ugly this gen is alright, talk about it ending soon makes it feels short, although some like your self believe it gone on too long, but people like me feel for comparison like GTA:SA, MGS3 FFXII and GOW2 are yet to be released, thats where it feels we are which we technically are. Thou MS releasing when they did has made it feel longer to some, but hasn't gone on to long, atleast to me it ain't
    Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Forum Sage
    Items Muse
    Just to underline my previous point about Sony's lack of synergy between itself and its internal developers, it has just been announced that they have closed down their Sony Liverpool studio. To me, this is extremely disconcerting as a gamer and to anybody who supports British game development.

I have heard rumours emanating from Sony Liverpool about discontent on Sony's stance on PSN piracy (game sharing to you and I) and the growing discontent about it amongst third party development teams. Even though Sony has gone some way to remedy this by reducing the amount of downloads per PSN account, it still doesn't make up for the amount of revenue lost retrospectively.

As a massive fan of Wipeout, this is a catastrophic day for gaming. The press statement issued by Sony goes to great lengths to reassure us that the 'Liverpool facility will still continue to operate' but then goes on to say that it will be occupied by other development studios. The bravado of this act is just staggering, and typically PS3-era Sony.

Lastfm id: RadioheadSnob

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Svetlana View Post
    Just to underline my previous point about Sony's lack of synergy between itself and its internal developers, it has just been announced that they have closed down their Sony Liverpool studio. To me, this is extremely disconcerting as a gamer and to anybody who supports British game development.

I have heard rumours emanating from Sony Liverpool about discontent on Sony's stance on PSN piracy (game sharing to you and I) and the growing discontent about it amongst third party development teams. Even though Sony has gone some way to remedy this by reducing the amount of downloads per PSN account, it still doesn't make up for the amount of revenue lost retrospectively.

As a massive fan of Wipeout, this is a catastrophic day for gaming. The press statement issued by Sony goes to great lengths to reassure us that the 'Liverpool facility will still continue to operate' but then goes on to say that it will be occupied by other development studios. The bravado of this act is just staggering, and typically PS3-era Sony.
    notice you're being contradictory in your own post.

Studio Liverpool lost their biggest contract at the start of this gen. Losing the F1 rights pretty much relegated them to wipeout. and although great, you can only take that particular brand so far.

You keep bringing up "Synergy" and at the end of your post you used this, "PS3-era Sony".
    what and why?

-Sucker punch have countless times praised sony
    -Naughty Dog needn't be brought up
    -Guerilla Games have gushed at how sony loved the engine they were making and supported them wholeheartedly
    -Quantic Dreams praised sony for support during Heavy Rains development

and its not even first parties
    -Sega praised them for helping on Bayonetta (although it still turned out crap)

how can you make those claims based on a few "Small" studio's closing down?
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Forum Sage
    Items Muse
    I apologise if my post sounded contradictory, perhaps I didn't elucidate correctly on my point. Regarding the press statement issued by Sony earlier today, it is quite clear that they are thinking about replacing Sony Liverpool with foreign development teams from their own European and worldwide studios. Obviously the workforce isn't going to be entirely foreign and existing employees from Sony Liverpool will probably be headhunted for jobs in the new studio.

Our Liverpool Facility will continue to operate, housing a number of other vital WWS!E and SCEE Departments. This should not take anything away from the great work WWS are doing and the incredible games and services that we have made, and continue to make.'

While you are correct about Sony Liverpool failing to secure the F1 license (lost to Codemasters), you didn't mention that the Liverpool studio had recently merged with Evolution Studios, developers of the successful Motorstorm franchise. I wonder how many existing products in development will be outsourced to other, probably less competent, development teams.

Moving onto synergy and relations between Sony, its developers and its different divisions (Sony Japan, Sony America, Sony Europe). The development teams you mentioned (Naughty Dog, Guerilla Games, Quantic Dreams) have had vast amounts of resources and funds poured into them to ensure that the games they release are a showcase for the PS3 platform. Of course the relationship between Sony and these development studios are going to be harmonious and rosy.

Let me introduce the following article, quoting the experience of a developer in Vivendi (whose divisions include Blizzard and Sierra Entertainment respectively.

http://www.destructoid.com/sony-s-cl...--212587.phtml

"I'd say any comment by Sony that they have better developer relations or fewer insane hurdles is laughable," he said. "The TRC/TCRs [technical requirements checklist/technical certification requirements] for the PS2 and PS3 were so much worse than anything needed for the Xbox 360 -- the cases themselves were written confusingly, but the real clincher was that they weren't even consistent between SoJ, SoE, and SoA".

"The ex-Vivendi man alleges that the PS3's dev tools were horrible to use and that Sony was awful at providing support. He says one Sony rep went so far as to call his colleagues "liars" when they said the network code wasn't working for a game".

Oh, and there's Gabe Newell of Valve who also recognised Sony's poor customer and developer relations, who recently has had a remarkable retraction of his opinion, probably aided by the realisation of monetary gain.
    http://www.1up.com/news/gabe-newell-ps3-total-disaster

Finally I'd like to elucidate further on what I meant by 'PS3 era Sony'. This, if you have been a forum goer like myself for the past seven years, should be clear and evident to see, as day is to night. People bandy the word 'arrogance' around a lot when it comes to Sony these days but I think that is a severe misjudgement. I think ineptitude is a more appropriate word when discussing PS3 era Sony, combined with a lack of foresightedness.

Sorry for the convoluted response - I felt it necessary to explain myself, especially in a forum who doesn't want to read these kind of things.

Lastfm id: RadioheadSnob

I think Sony is far from the worst. I have several platforms and it's no where near the bottom. I believe Sony will be just fine.

Dedicated Member

In response to the thread title, I'd say that Sony used to understand gaming which is why they were such a dominant force across the globe with the PS + PS2.

Yet the market environment has evolved drastically over the last 5-10 years; we have seen the emergence of cheap throw-away smartphone titles, consolidation of blockbuster titles and social network gaming. Credit to Sony for producing some great titles over the last few years, but the business has overall failed to understand what the global gaming audience sought and has been punished by the likes of Apple, Nintendo, etc... who did understand the direction gaming was going. The lower unit sales and poor financial performance are testament to this unfortunate reality.

The problem is further exacerbated by Sony's appeasement to hardcore followers which leads to a continual regression towards market irrelevance as this core group is untenable which is why the PS Vita has flopped.

25. Likes Svetlana likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Svetlana View Post
    that's quite a lot of ground covered

firstly, id say this: Sony aren't the god saints of developer coddling. the guys who developed Limbo were turned off by Sony's contract terms. and as such, Limbo released across multiple platforms.

But, you'll have to admit. Guerilla Games, Naughty Dog, Quantic Dreams are all lauded for their first party contributions and the effort they put into the PS3 in the early days. I could be wrong, but im sure Guerilla bulldozed the Deferred Rendering technique into modern gaming. A technique used by everyone now it seems.

Secondly: im sure i had a little discussion in one of the recent threads about Sony's foresight. in that regard, i totally agree. though, typically of me, i was lax with my words and used arrogance to describe them
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Thread Information