Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Does Sony Really Understand Gaming Any Longer?

Does Sony Really Understand Gaming Any Longer?

Don Reisinger, Aug 10th 2012 Discuss [43]

Worth Reading?
    -12 [26 votes]

Sony was once viewed as the worldís most successful gaming company. After it launched the original PlayStation, many wondered if it could take off until, well, it did. And as we all know, the PlayStation 2 was a gaming juggernaut.
    But all of that changed with the PlayStation 3. The console launched at a price that was far too expensive for what customers were getting, and it lacked the uniqueness of Nintendoís Wii, which caught on quickly. Microsoftís Xbox 360, while not as popular as the Wii, benefited from a strong online-gaming component.

[Image credit: Joey]
    Sony, therefore, was in trouble. Its console wasnít selling and its online featureset just couldnít match its chief competitor.
    After the PlayStation 3ís price started to fall and Sony offered up some redesigns, the console staged a comeback. Now, itís succeeding to some degree, though itís still far behind both of its competitors.
    Itís a similar story on the mobile side where Sonyís PlayStation Portable appealed to some gamers, but eventually couldnít quite match Nintendoís DS. And with the PlayStation Vita on store shelves now, it appears Sony doesnít have what it takes to match Nintendo anytime soon.
    That Sony might not be able to match the Nintendo 3DS isnít necessarily all that surprising. What is surprising is that Sony would want to jump into a gaming-handheld market thatís on the decline, due to the success of smartphones and tablets in that space. Whatís even more surprising is that it took so long for Sony to even come somewhat close to matching Nintendo on motion gaming and Microsoft on online gaming in the console market.
    If you look more deeply at what I just said, you might arrive at a question Iíve been asking about Sony for the last few years: does it really understand the gaming business anymore?
    [aqupte]Sony canít quite see that gaming handhelds is a lost cause[/aquote]
    Honestly, I just donít know. Sonyís mobile hopes are perhaps the most surprising to me. The company has for years evaluated divisions and made tough choices to ensure that it didnít try to do too much in a market that was slipping away (just look at the Walkman). And yet, it canít quite see that gaming handhelds is a lost cause.
    Over the last few years, iOS and Android have secured an overwhelming portion of portable game revenue. Sony, meanwhile, has been left to pick up only scraps. Considering that was happening before the Vita launched, why would the company even consider spending all of that cash on hardware research and design? That cash could have been more effectively used elsewhere.
    At what point will Sony finally see the writing on the wall and realize that it must get out of the handheld market?
    Sony should in no way get out of consoles. But that it doesnít have a more robust online-gaming offering that can match Xbox Live is puzzling to me. Sony must certainly know that online gaming and digital distribution is the future. Why wouldnít Sony invest far more cash into that market to capitalize on the trend? After all, itís the smart move.
    But actually making the smart moves isnít something that Sony has been doing much of in the gaming space lately. And the more we consider the moves itís made, the more we might wonder if it truly understands the industry today.

High-powered consoles and handhelds are great and all. But success in the gaming space today takes much, much more than that. And at least so far, it doesnít appear Sony gets that.
    Link: http://www.slashgear.com/does-sony-r...nger-10242551/

Maybe in my opinion
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yeah MS does have the better online game offerings. Sony's games tend to have great SP but sorely lack a stellar online component.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Interesting article to say the least. To agree with the article I would really need to see what they do with the PS4.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Skinnyjr
    That article is right in everyway but it would have been more relevant if it had appeared before Sony had bought Gaikai.....

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I have disappointments with all the systems I have, and they have all brought some amazing games. I think Sony will be ok.

6. Likes RaY_210 , DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    akhi216
    I don't agree with the Vita being a lost cause because of iOS and Android. That's just silly.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I wouldn't say it's completely lost, but it might have been damaged to a degree. There are some pretty exciting gaming experiences in the mobile platform beyond portable consoles. Add on to that the substantial cost difference.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    akhi216
    There will always be a market for dedicated handheld game system despites how much some like their iOS devices and and Androids.

10. Likes RaY_210 likes this post
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by akhi216 View Post
    There will always be a market for dedicated handheld game system despites how much some like their iOS devices and and Androids.
    There is definitely a market for it, just not the one Sony is aiming for. I think that's the biggest obstacle Sony has. If they change their target audience the Vita will do fine.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    akhi216
    I'm sure Sony knows what they're doing. I've never agree with claims that mobile gaming is replacing gaming on dedicated game consoles, in fact I'd wager that the people who bought Vitas already have one or more Android and/or iOS devices. The guy says that handheld gaming is a lost cause but yet I sat here just about all day playing my Vita and I play it more than I do my PS3.

13. Likes skinny_jr likes this post
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    There is definitely a market for it, just not the one Sony is aiming for. I think that's the biggest obstacle Sony has. If they change their target audience the Vita will do fine.
    Who do you think they should target?

PSN ID
    Jet_Cobra
    I think the problem with the Vita is that Sony refuses to admit that the price tag is too big compared to the PS3, with the 3DS being almost $100 cheaper sony isn't winning much with the Vita sales, so far they've barely just passed the 1 million unit sales recently. Sony really has to pick up on their marketing strategies.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Who do you think they should target?
    A much, much younger demographic. A majority of adults don't want haul around a portable gaming system. Sure there are some that will but that's the minority.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Yes.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    i should imagine they do
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    They understand more than enough I think.

Forum Sage
    The article is largely correct but I feel that it fails to mention two important factors which have contributed to the state that Sony is currently in.

The first is the organisation's lack of visionaries such as Ken Kuturagi, whose prescience helped the Playstation brand gather its momentum.

Hiring Kaz Hirai and other corporate figureheads that are more interested in sustaining profits have hindered Sony's ambition and have lead them to make safe, yet unpopular decisions that don't resonate with the target audience (PS3 launch price, 'U-turn' on PSN network charges [PS Plus], Playstation Vita, Continuous Play fiasco). I understand that there is a fine line between risk and reward but it takes a person like Ken Kuturagi or Shigeru Miyamoto to push the boundaries and to make their respective gaming divisions more competitive.

The second point, which I feel is the most important is the complete lack of confidence that people have in Sony after the PSN hack last year. For me, this has completely changed my perspective on the organisation and has painfully emphasised just how contemptuously we as consumers are treated.

This has extended to the aforementioned cancellation of the Continuous Play plan, an insurance scheme where PS3 owners paid a monthly charge so that in the instance of a PS3 death, the console could be replaced. Having Sony figureheads bandying about favourable failure rate figures in contrast to the competition is little consolation when you yourself have been through three different Playstation 3 consoles.

The most worrying facet of Sony's corporate contempt is that it is directly affecting the relationships between Sony and its developers, and even its first party developers. This has manifested itself countless times in the past, with released dates becoming mixed up, patches being delayed, game content being delayed, exclusivity defection and underwhelming gaming products due to Sony's lack of involvement/care.

Instances like those mentioned above highlight the worrying lack of synergy between Sony, its developers and the different factions in its gaming division. If Sony can't even bolster relationships with those closest to them, it's little surprise that it's failing dismally to impress its, excruciatingly tolerant, consumers.

Sunday rant to pass the time.

Lastfm id: RadioheadSnob

21. Likes D3seeker likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    Sony lost a lot of indie dev support while MS gained that support. Sony needs to stop creating system that cost a fortune to develop for and start catering more to indie devs. PS1 was so indie dev friendly that everyone was pumping out games. PS2 was a bit more difficult but still had the support, PS3 completely lost the support.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Svetlana View Post
    The most worrying facet of Sony's corporate contempt is that it is directly affecting the relationships between Sony and its developers, and even its first party developers. This has manifested itself countless times in the past, with released dates becoming mixed up, patches being delayed, game content being delayed, exclusivity defection and underwhelming gaming products due to Sony's lack of involvement/care.

Instances like those mentioned above highlight the worrying lack of synergy between Sony, its developers and the different factions in its gaming division. If Sony can't even bolster relationships with those closest to them, it's little surprise that it's failing dismally to impress its, excruciatingly tolerant, consumers.

Sunday rant to pass the time.
    da fuq is dis
    the beginning of it is i guess its something to ponder, but that last part sort of comes off a bit wonky.

i remember a video with devs from sony's studios taking time to play dodgeball or something. unless the soft rubber balls were replaced with rocks i would assume thats a picture of a somewhat cohesive relationship

the defections are in large part down to money. Sony had all of the exclusive rights because they had the dominant market share. market share now is near 50/50. this isn't something that looks nice to a third party developer.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    akhi216
    A much, much younger demographic. A majority of adults don't want haul around a portable gaming system. Sure there are some that will but that's the minority.
    Do you have a specific age range in mind? As I understand Sony caters to the hardcore gamer market.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post
    Sony lost a lot of indie dev support while MS gained that support. Sony needs to stop creating system that cost a fortune to develop for and start catering more to indie devs. PS1 was so indie dev friendly that everyone was pumping out games. PS2 was a bit more difficult but still had the support, PS3 completely lost the support.
    Huh? It's actually quite the opposite. Sony put $20 million into their Pub Fund which they used to offer financial assistance to indie devs. It is responsible for games like Journey, Dyad, Unfinished Swan, Datura and Papo & Yo. PlayStation Mobile is all about promoting indie development.

26. Likes PhillyPhreak, Fijiandoce likes this post
    Superior Member
    Do you have a specific age range in mind? As I understand Sony caters to the hardcore gamer market.
    I would say through high school, but no older. With 2 kids in college and knowing their friends pretty well, they either play consoles or computer games.

In fact, we took my son and a bunch of his college friends to dinner this spring and the topic of video games came up. We talked about many different aspects of games and gaming. When the topic of handhelds came up they unanimously said that they were toys designed for kids. Now keep in mind that these kids are pretty "hardcore" gamers and they all agreed. In fact, none of them knew anyone with either a 3DS, PSP or Vita over the age of 16.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    The best will always carry all the hate. Just sayin'.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    akhi216
    I would say through high school, but no older. With 2 kids in college and knowing their friends pretty well, they either play consoles or computer games.

In fact, we took my son and a bunch of his college friends to dinner this spring and the topic of video games came up. We talked about many different aspects of games and gaming. When the topic of handhelds came up they unanimously said that they were toys designed for kids. Now keep in mind that these kids are pretty "hardcore" gamers and they all agreed. In fact, none of them knew anyone with either a 3DS, PSP or Vita over the age of 16.
    That's a mind projection fallacy.

Superior Member
    That's a mind projection fallacy.
    Not at all, but since we don't agree there is nowhere else to go with this. I believe it's a product that will mainly resonate with kids. You apparently don't.

Thread Information