Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    You consider SSBB and Mario Kart as casual games? Interesting I actually consider them as fanfare for the core gamers Thou the Karting games have been done before, Crash had one, dam even Sonic has one Sent via Codec
    Yeah I do consider those to be casual or maybe kiddie would be a better description. Thats how they seem to me.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Yeah I do consider those to be casual or maybe kiddie would be a better description. Thats how they seem to me.
    Fair play, I ain't gonna argue with that
    They are definitely aimed at the younger audience, thou F34R seems to disagree, well atleast for Nintendo games
    Thou I wouldn't call them casual, not in the same sense the blatantly obvious ones are
    But then again I think most sports games are casual games, but I think it depends on how you play them too, for instance COD is a casual game but it can be played hardcore by core players, ya get me?

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Fair play, I ain't gonna argue with that They are definitely aimed at the younger audience, thou F34R seems to disagree, well atleast for Nintendo games Thou I wouldn't call them casual, not in the same sense the blatantly obvious ones are But then again I think most sports games are casual games, but I think it depends on how you play them too, for instance COD is a casual game but it can be played hardcore by core players, ya get me? Sent via Codec
    Yeah I got ya. But I wouldn't call COD casual but I would definitely call it mainstream. Kind of like Madden.

Ancient
    Yeah I got ya. But I wouldn't call COD casual but I would definitely call it mainstream. Kind of like Madden.
    Commercially mainstream, yeah I remember NFS & WWE Smackdown being commercially successful

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Commercially mainstream, yeah I remember NFS & WWE Smackdown being commercially successful Sent via Codec
    Yep exactly.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    I've filled my heart with hate of that word. Casual...

Makes me want to punch a baby in the throat.

However, its good for Sony and the gaming industry to be diverse I suppose.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Super Elite
    I am sure Sony would want the casual corner in some of their basket.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Superior Member
    The one thing I've learned in this thread is that there isn't a firm definition of "kiddie", "casual" or even "core".

Personally, I would call anything on a handheld device "kiddie", "casual" or even a "diversion".

I would think that before topics like this can be debated, we need to agree on definitions, no?
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    my 11 year old kiddies have played just about every game we have here; PS3, 360, wii, Vita, 3ds... I'm guessing Uncharted 1,2, and 3 aren't kiddie though? Halo (all freakin releases lol), kiddie games?

Forum Sage

but I think it depends on how you play them too, for instance COD is a casual game but it can be played hardcore by core players, ya get me?

Sent via Codec
    Wow, really? Your joking right? I'm going to need you to elaborate on what is casual about the game

Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    I've filled my heart with hate of that word. Casual...

Makes me want to punch a baby in the throat.

However, its good for Sony and the gaming industry to be diverse I suppose.
    The terms; Casual, hardcore, 'core and triple A all equally piss me off. I don't need the marketing division telling me what their game is.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    The one thing I've learned in this thread is that there isn't a firm definition of "kiddie", "casual" or even "core".

Personally, I would call anything on a handheld device "kiddie", "casual" or even a "diversion".

I would think that before topics like this can be debated, we need to agree on definitions, no?
    I agree!

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

The "kiddie" games classification only sprung up with the PSU with the article about Sony saying that they were going to have a "family friendly" holiday line up. Games for kids have generally been lumped under the casual moniker. I think kiddie is just a "derogatory" way of saying casual these days.

I agree with your handheld comment up until the point when my Vita falls into my hands. Whether you're into handheld gaming or not, Vita delivers near console worthy games that are definitely not considered kiddie or casual IP (Uncharted, Wipeout, Assassin Creed etc). Diversion is a tricky one, however there are some people I know (in life and on forums) who have said that they are playing more Vita than anything else.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    The "kiddie" games classification only sprung up with the PSU with the article about Sony saying that they were going to have a "family friendly" holiday line up. Games for kids have generally been lumped under the casual moniker. I think kiddie is just a "derogatory" way of saying casual these days.

I agree with your handheld comment up until the point when my Vita falls into my hands. Whether you're into handheld gaming or not, Vita delivers near console worthy games that are definitely not considered kiddie or casual IP (Uncharted, Wipeout, Assassin Creed etc). Diversion is a tricky one, however there are some people I know (in life and on forums) who have said that they are playing more Vita than anything else.
    Both your and my views are opinions. Neither is right or wrong but our views on games and consoles.

But just because more people are playing the Vita more than anything else or plays near console worthy games doesn't change what it is or isn't. I see it as a diversion when you are on a plane, bus or just killing time and I would never consider any handheld more than that no matter what types of games or graphics it has.

Again, this is my opinion.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Both your and my views are opinions. Neither is right or wrong but our views on games and consoles.

But just because more people are playing the Vita more than anything else or plays near console worthy games doesn't change what it is or isn't. I see it as a diversion when you are on a plane, bus or just killing time and I would never consider any handheld more than that no matter what types of games or graphics it has.

Again, this is my opinion.
    You see it as a diversion when you play a handheld on a plane, a diversion from what? The journey? When we play console games at home, it's also a diversion isn't it? A diversion from our day to day life, or does gaming at home have some additional property that isn't present in a handheld?

14. Likes Nitey , AaronSOLDIER , F34R , Fijiandoce likes this post
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    You see it as a diversion when you play a handheld on a plane, a diversion from what? The journey? When we play console games at home, it's also a diversion isn't it? A diversion from our day to day life, or does gaming at home have some additional property that isn't present in a handheld?
    It's more or less killing time on a plane, but when I play games from home I genuinely want to play the game. It has nothing to do with a diversion when I'm at home.

I'm sure some will claim to genuinely want to play a handheld game but there are always exceptions to everything.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    akhi216
    So you'd consider Uncharted Golden Abyss, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Mortal Kombat, and Resistance Burning Skies, all mature rated games, kiddie?

17. Likes Fijiandoce, AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    We need a thread where we hammer this out. The Vita for example is a portable however I don't feel there are many kiddie or casual games on it. To me I view it as a portable PS3

Causal game is something that u can play in spurts put it down do something else come back to it. Also causal is a game with no age limit

Kiddie games are made for a certain age group.

Core... I guess would be games people don't fit into the previous two categories

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Master Guru
    Nothing wrong with Sony getting a piece of the pie that Nintendo and Microsoft have been hogging. Three can play this game.

At the end of the day core gaming has, will, and will always be Sony's focus.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by akhi216 View Post
    So you'd consider Uncharted Golden Abyss, Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, Mortal Kombat, and Resistance Burning Skies, all mature rated games, kiddie?
    I consider portable gaming as kiddie. If its on the portable I feel that's it's for kids. High school kids would play these types of games. I guess you're definition of kiddie and my definition of kiddie games are different.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    So basically anything portable is kiddie as ur definition?

I can see how a nintendo portable can be seen as kiddie or causal however I would not see the vita in the same light??

So what would be ur definition of causal??

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

22. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    akhi216
    I consider portable gaming as kiddie. If its on the portable I feel that's it's for kids. High school kids would play these types of games. I guess you're definition of kiddie and my definition of kiddie games are different.
    I find this funny. What do you think that they have mature rated games on handheld systems for?

24. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    So basically anything portable is kiddie as ur definition?

I can see how a nintendo portable can be seen as kiddie or causal however I would not see the vita in the same light??

So what would be ur definition of causal??

What I have been saying is that even though Sony is marketing the Vita to adult gamers (which is obviously failing for that very reason), portable gaming appeals mainly to the younger crowd.

In all my travels and business trips (mainly flying) it's only kids playing with portable consoles. This is based on my personal observations and is my opinion but yes, I feel portable gaming is for kids.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    What I have been saying is that even though Sony is marketing the Vita to adult gamers (which is obviously failing for that very reason), portable gaming appeals mainly to the younger crowd.

In all my travels and business trips (mainly flying) it's only kids playing with portable consoles. This is based on my personal observations and is my opinion but yes, I feel portable gaming is for kids.
    Ok I get what ur saying! I've seen the same in my travels I'm always the only adult with a 3ds out on a plane or bus lol

But do we base the categories on their intentional market group or the guy that has been proven to purchase these types of games or consoles?

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    So you consider games like Uncharted, AC Liberation, COD, Killzone, Wipeout 2048, etc. kiddie? Those are games that are on the Vita or coming to the Vita.

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    Little big planet karting=kiddie Karts instead of carts. That would be a child's mindset. We know as you get older we want cars.
    Playstation all stars battle royale= Not kiddie? Why? It's a fighting game for one and i'm Not saying fighting games are not or can't be aimed at kids. Second it's got characters from way back in the day and you would have to be older to even know these characters to be intrigued. Once again, i'm not saying kids won't play this game because they'll see fat princess, new dante, cole and others for instance. I'm just explaining my reasoning on what games are kiddie/casual. Also, in the end though, you shouldn't care about age groups/the often someone else plays a game. I'm glad there are different gamers because that means differents thinking and i don't care if a game is aimed at a certain group. I'll play it if it's good and that's the bottom line because i said so (Stone cold refernce)

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    So you consider games like Uncharted, AC Liberation, COD, Killzone, Wipeout 2048, etc. kiddie? Those are games that are on the Vita or coming to the Vita.
    Of course they are!

It's clear that a portable device that costs as much as a console and has R18 games and some of the biggest core franchises in the industry was devised with kids in mind.

Thread Information