Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Executive Editor (US), Brosota, Platinumer

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale lacks 'urgency'

So, PSASBR doesn't have bottomless pits. Fans of the Smash Brothers series are more than familiar with the sense of dramatic urgency that fighting on a hill gives to each match. What do you guys think about this? Sure, each map has some sort of way to take out or damage players, but it's not a constant looming factor. Thoughts?

http://www.psu.com/a016520/Kotaku--P...issing-urgency

2. Likes The Cage likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    100% agreed. Each stage should have some hazardous elements that will 1 hit kill you like meteor showers, crumbling buildings and such.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Meh, they are more interested in using "names" rather than features in this game. Thinking their "fanbase" will cuddle with this game.

5. Likes The Cage likes this post
    Master Poster
    The whole idea of falling down and being able to climb up is stupid, it should be just like SSB

Quote Originally Posted by The Cage View Post
    The whole idea of falling down and being able to climb up is stupid, it should be just like SSB
    Agreed. If they're not going to make it exactly like SSB, there should be consequences, at the very least, for falling off the stage.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Is it not enough to fight your opponent? Why do we need cliffs to fall off of anyways? I think the urgency comes from someone using their level 3 power up.

9. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Haven't got a beta key yet so unfortunately can't comment. If they had gone with the pitfalls though,they would be slammed for not innovating or changing the formula at all. Damned if you do, damned if you don't lol. I plan on getting this day 1 providing it doesn't get a $#@!storm of negative reviews.

11. Likes DarkVincent07, Kauldron likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Meh, they are more interested in using "names" rather than features in this game. Thinking their "fanbase" will cuddle with this game.
    Yeah thats basically my impression as well. Theres really not alot to this game feature wise. Its fun for just a short while and then I'm done.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Yeah thats basically my impression as well. Theres really not alot to this game feature wise. Its fun for just a short while and then I'm done.
    What kind of features would you like to see in it?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    What kind of features would you like to see in it?
    Maybe some environmental hazards like others in this thread described. Things like that. This game just seems kind of bare bones.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 08-12-2012 at 03:04.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzilla View Post
    100% agreed. Each stage should have some hazardous elements that will 1 hit kill you like meteor showers, crumbling buildings and such.
    Yeah stuff like that would make it alot more fun.

Yeah, you guys are onto something. Perhaps replace the pitfalls with an actual environmental factor that's always present, like electrified floors or flaming jets or streams of water that shoot players off the screen. That'd be a much needed change to the whole SSB schematic.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Nunes View Post
    Yeah, you guys are onto something. Perhaps replace the pitfalls with an actual environmental factor that's always present, like electrified floors or flaming jets or streams of water that shoot players off the screen. That'd be a much needed change to the whole SSB schematic.
    Yep thats exactly what this game needs. Stuff like that would keep me playing this game round after round.

Veteran
    Haven't got a beta key yet so unfortunately can't comment. If they had gone with the pitfalls though,they would be slammed for not innovating or changing the formula at all. Damned if you do, damned if you don't lol. I plan on getting this day 1 providing it doesn't get a $#@!storm of negative reviews.

Yeah it's like. TheY copied teh Smash Brothers!! Fail!
    Then it's like. They didn't copy the Smash Brothers!! Fail!

Ummm......also didn't they say that each stage had its own environmental hazards.

The Buzz Guy gives you questions and if you don't answer right you get attacked.
    The Hydra on the Kratos stage attack at a certain point, Hades attacks when....yadda, yadda, yadda....., I'm tired and there is no point. There will be something else tommorrow.

SMH..................

PSN ID
    Jet_Cobra
    The game is still in Beta so it isn't too late for them to implement stages with pits or falls, but PSASBR feels like its missing something to make it a good game.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet_Cobra View Post
    The game is still in Beta so it isn't too late for them to implement stages with pits or falls, but PSASBR feels like its missing something to make it a good game.
    That's the exact feeling I'm getting. There is one specific thing that it needs to be a great game but I don't know what it is. I've visualized most of the elements from Smashbro's but those aren't it, or who knows. Will need to play Beta to determine just what this missing link is.

Elite Member
    Like I said...

Give them health bars...it's that simple...

Veteran
    PSASBR is not a King of the Hill game. With that said, I still don't understand how you know when a character is about to die. I don't see a damage status or meter anywhere. All I see is the player number, character mugshot special move meter, and...that's it. Is it the white outline that surrounds them that indicates low health? If so, that seems kind of lame. But I dunno what I'm looking at.

But it's true. Smash Bros. CONSTANTLY has urgency due mainly to the ledge play and the consequence of added "knockback" that a player suffers every time he receives damage. SSB has a very good system that is both simple and deep and makes for a legitimate platformer-fighter (not without it's share of problems, of course).

I don't know what PSASBR is attempting exactly, but if there is a lack of urgency I don't know if it has the stuff to be competitive to the extent of SSB. One of the problems with SSB is that it rewards players who camp...but the urgency within SSB's gameplay discourages camping from going to an extreme on a regular basis (though it does happen at times and when it does...it's very annoying/boring/silly). Now take this notion that PSASBR lacks urgency and combine this with the fact that PSASBR has bigger stages than SSB's legal competitive stages. As a result, I anticipate a serious camping problem for anyone who tries to play PSASBR on a competitive level (in 1v1, at least). And if I recall, you have to attack your opponent for orbs...which are needed to achieve meter-based special attacks; the only things that can reach your opponent in a very large perimeter. So...if you camp, you shut down long-range options if you camp hard enough (while avoiding stage hazards, of course, which are traditionally predictable and easy to avoid when nobody is around you). Laaaame. Hopefully my theorycrafting is wrong.

With that said, I feel like PSASBR is going to function much better as a 2v2 or FFA game. The lack of urgency might allow these formats to be more tactical than SSB's FFA or 2v2 because too much urgency among 4 players can often allow for too much chaos in SSB. However, this doesn't look like it's going to be a good game at all in terms of 1v1 because it doesn't look like it will do anything to discourage ridiculous camping strategies.
    Last edited by Bio; 08-12-2012 at 20:13.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    PSASBR is not a King of the Hill game. With that said, I still don't understand how you know when a character is about to die. I don't see a damage status or meter anywhere. All I see is the player number, character mugshot special move meter, and...that's it. Is it the white outline that surrounds them that indicates low health? If so, that seems kind of lame. But I dunno what I'm looking at.

But it's true. Smash Bros. CONSTANTLY has urgency due mainly to the ledge play and the consequence of added "knockback" that a player suffers every time he receives damage. SSB has a very good system that is both simple and deep and makes for a legitimate platformer-fighter (not without it's share of problems, of course).

I don't know what PSASBR is attempting exactly, but if there is a lack of urgency I don't know if it has the stuff to be competitive to the extent of SSB. One of the problems with SSB is that it rewards players who camp...but the urgency within SSB's gameplay discourages any camping from going to an extreme on a regular basis. Now take this notion that PSASBR lacks urgency and combine this with the fact that PSASBR has bigger stages than SSB's legal competitive stages. As a result, I anticipate a serious camping problem for anyone who tries to play PSASBR on a competitive level (in 1v1, at least). And if I recall, you have to attack your opponent for orbs...which are needed to build meter special attacks; the only thing that can reach your opponent in a large perimeter. So...if you camp, you shut down long-range options if you camp hard enough. Laaaame. Hopefully my theorycrafting is wrong.

With that said, I feel like PSASBR is going to function much better as a 2v2 or FFA game. The lack of urgency might allow these formats to be more tactical than SSB's FFA or 2v2 because too much urgency among 4 players can often allow for too much chaos in SSB. However, this doesn't look like it's going to be a good game at all in terms of 1v1 because it doesn't look like it will do anything to discourage ridiculous camping strategies.
    There is no health in this game. You can only die by getting hit by a special attack. Also, if you camp in this game, you build no specials, no specials no win.

Veteran
    All I'm gonna say it's this game doesn't need to be like Smash Brothers.

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    All I'm gonna say it's this game doesn't need to be like Smash Brothers.
    The devs wanted to do it like SSB, if it's gonna be like SSB they gotta do it right or drop it.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cage View Post
    The devs wanted to do it like SSB, if it's gonna be like SSB they gotta do it right or drop it.
    The game is fun. They did it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master Poster
    I never said that the game isn't fun, and no they did not do it right

Veteran
    There is no health in this game. You can only die by getting hit by a special attack. Also, if you camp in this game, you build no specials, no specials no win.
    I like this idea. Makes it seem different enough to me on a fundamental level. I'm still concerned about the camping possibilities in 1v1, though. Regardless, I think this will shine more as a 2v2/FFA game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Veteran
    A little place called none of your **** business. United States.
    Items 360 SlimPS3 SlimNaughty Dog
    I've come to the conclusion that those that are dead set on hating on it in every PSASBR thread, are not going to be interested regardless of what the developers do at this point. "Don't rip off smash bros." "Use this feature that smash bros has" The complaints will never end and it will never be good enough. As I've said time and time again with certain members, haters gonna hate, and lovers gonna love. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Simple. Some people can't be pleased. The game could be exceptional, but it's on the playstation exclusively? Ick. Gotta give it some $#@! now, like I've been doing this entire generation.

I don't really need a water cooler/remote control as of right now.

Thread Information