Latest PSU headlines:

Supreme Veteran

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Wii U specs and performance matter, and Nintendo knows this

Wii U specs and performance matter, and Nintendo knows this

Opinion: Despite what Nintendo says, it's clear that the company is taking HD seriously this time around.

ON AUGUST 11TH, 2012 IN FEATURED

There has been a heated debate back and forth regarding the Wii Uís performance. Is it more powerful than current gen consoles? How powerful? Nintendo never gets into those kinds of discussions, opting instead to point out the unique features of the Wii U. But in todayís gaming world, pretty graphics and high performance sells. To a point. Which begs the questions: 1) does it matter how powerful the Wii U is, and 2) how powerful is it? The short answers to those questions are, 1) Yes, it does matter how powerful the Wii U is, and 2) Itís powerful enough.
    While Nintendo will never tout the performance of its consoles, itís clear that the company is taking HD graphics seriously this time around. Back in 2006 with the Wii, Nintendo bet that HD wasnít a big deal. And they were right. But that was six years ago. Today, HD is mainstream. Despite Nintendoís main focus on the GamePad controller, they know that the Wii U not only has to be able to push 1080p resolution, but deliver decent image quality as well. It simply has to do this if itís going to appeal to a mainstream audience, because today, mainstream has gone HD. In fact, they did several years ago. And it appears that Nintendo has in fact delivered a powerful console: the current (rumored) Wii U specsinclude a 3GHz tri-core CPU, 1.5 GB of RAM, and a speedy GPU from AMD. This makes the Wii U about 2X more powerful than the Xbox 360, meaning thereís plenty of performance to drive HD graphics to satisfy todayís gamers and casual fans. And thatís important for Nintendo ó back in 2006, HDTVís were just taking off, but now, the vast majority of television sets are HDTVs.
    Another major reason for Nintendo to create a console with modern specs is third party support. Because of its specs and HD capabilities, third party publishers are now bringing some of their major franchises to a Nintendo console because for the first time, itís technically feasible. Games like Assassinís Creed 3, Batman Arkham City and Mass Effect 3 are all coming to the Wii U. And some of them come with improved visuals over their Xbox 360 and PS3 counterparts. Not to mention full tablet controller support.
    For a console not to offer HD resolution today would be the same as if a console in year 2000 couldnít do 3D visualsWhile us Nintendo fans tend to favor innovation over prettier graphics ó and thatís how it should be ó itís important to recognize that graphics and visual advances in video games do matter. If they didnít matter at all, weíd still be playing black and white 8-bit games on tiny screens. For a console not to offer HD resolution today would be the same as if a console in year 2000 couldnít do 3D visuals, or a console in 1995 didnít offer colors and was only in black and white. But itís easy to get lost in the war of graphics and specs, and Nintendo knows this. Theyíve made the Wii U just powerful enough to display decent graphics, but not powerful enough where it competes solely on performance. Thatís not where the Wii Uís strengths lie. The strength of the Wii U is in its innovation, mainly, its controller.

Nintendo didnít compete on graphics last time because they didnít have to: they had a much more innovative product. And they donít have to compete on graphics this time either ó the Wii U offers a new approach to gaming that other console makers have already tried to copy. But that doesnít mean the company is stuck in 2006. They have to keep up with the times as everyone else. The Wii U is powerful just enough to support full HD graphics and satisfy third parties. After that, itís all about the unique features of the console: the Wii U GamePad.

So nintendo actually is part of a three way war
    Link: http://wiiudaily.com/2012/08/wii-u-s...d-performance/

Ultimate Veteran
    Lets hope Nintendo put some horsepower under the hood it has pretty good amount of ram.i wanna see gpu sceps

Supreme Veteran

I believe they will do something great, what we will have to wait and see

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'm hoping for some stellar exclusives!! That will be the only way I buy it.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I'm hoping for some stellar exclusives!! That will be the only way I buy it.
    Honestly, I just want a Mario and Zelda game in HD. That alone is why I am purchasing this console.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    I don't understand what he means by "taking HD seriously". It's pretty simple really. There weren't enough HD TV's back then to justify the use of HD graphics back then. Now that costs are down, and HD TV's are common, they're commiting a system to it.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Honestly, I just want a Mario and Zelda game in HD. That alone is why I am purchasing this console.
    That would be stellar exclusives. I'd be on it just to own you in MP eventually lol.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    That would be stellar exclusives. I'd be on it just to own you in MP eventually lol.
    Own me? You are confused my dude.

Man, I would LOVE an HD Mario Kart game. I would own, pwn, tea bag, you all over the place lol.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Own me? You are confused my dude.

Man, I would LOVE an HD Mario Kart game. I would own, pwn, tea bag, you all over the place lol.
    Let's just say that you might win lol. No tea pls ROFL.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Starfox HD thanks Nintendo

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Thread Information