Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

PS3 getting free native Youtube app with smartphone control.

Back in 2009, before video game consoles became the streaming video boxes they are today, it was exciting to have any leanback YouTube experience at all — even a sluggish web app that could only stream pitifully low-res video from within the PS3's aging browser. Three and a half years after that initial tease, though, Google is finally delivering the goods: a native YouTube app for PlayStation 3. It's a free download from the PlayStation Store, and while details are scarce for now, it should support HD video, suggest search results as you type them, access video subscriptions from your account, and let you use a connected smartphone as a remote control. You should be able to find it later today in North America, with other countries to follow. We're grateful, to be sure, but Sony's mystery PS3 video service can't come soon enough.
    Source

Confirmed via US blog. Only for US for now with other countries in the coming months kinda sucks lol. Glad it's here and look forward to feedback.
    Last edited by Ghost; 08-14-2012 at 17:56.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Soldier 95B
    Whoa, that would be cool if true. TODAY?!?

Ancient

now give us a facebook app too

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Dr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturamaMetallica
    Cool for those that use it.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    Better late than never. I bet it's mentioned later today.

***** dweller
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Even though I've watched videos using the browser, an App will make it much easier. But phone controlled?. Sounds silly to me, why not just use the dual shock controller?.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Hope this is true. I'd use this a lot!

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Hope this is true. I'd use this a lot!
    Confirmed on the US blog. ;D

9. Likes Nitey wishes they had posted this first.
    Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    Even though I've watched videos using the browser, an App will make it much easier. But phone controlled?. Sounds silly to me, why not just use the dual shock controller?.
    Yeah, I am not sold on that. I tried using the iPad to control my DirecTV as well as my Xbox. The remote and the controller was much easier. Also, while DirecTV has a YouTube app, it sucks donkey compared to the 360 version. I hope Google does a good job on the PS3 version.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Should be able to upload directly too with the Eye I'd think.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Elite Guru
    When can I get this?

Edit. Oh nvm just read the edited op ^_^. A few months then..

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    When can I get this?

Edit. Oh nvm just read the edited op ^_^. A few months then..
    Do you have a US PSN account? I downloaded it on the US sign in and its working. I'm just exploring it now. I have my youtube account connected and I have access to all my subscriptions. Will give my impressions of it after I've messed around abit.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Do you have a US PSN account? I downloaded it on the US sign in and its working. I'm just exploring it now. I have my youtube account connected and I have access to all my subscriptions. Will give my impressions of it after I've messed around abit.
    I do but I can't remember the email/password >:/

If it's any good I'll make a US account again and get it right away , so what's the word Mr. Rhayne?!

Veteran
    Just read this over at IGN, and I really appreciate this. Youtube app was much due.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I do but I can't remember the email/password >:/

If it's any good I'll make a US account again and get it right away , so what's the word Mr. Rhayne?!
    Overall I think this is an awesome app! I watch a lot of **** on youtube, I have IGN, Gamespot, PlayStation and various other game related channels subbed and now they are all here at my disposal quick and easy on my 46"Bravia. The interface is pretty simple, basically you just scroll up and down a menu that has all your subs plus featured videos and **** and all the latest videos are at the start there. it also seems to keep playing through all the vids on the channel. My only issue is that it feels a little bit clunky when you are scrolling down your channels because it loads in the thumbnails for all of the recent videos. This takes under a second but it stops the scrolling from being the fluid movement it could be. However, this is really of VERY little concern to me in the bigger picture of the app.

The picture quality is pretty good, but not as good as I was hoping. Maybe I'm just not used to watching YT on such a big screen. I will be intterested to hear other peoples opinions on this.

The smartphone control is something that is available for YT in general, like if you have the YT app on your TV, and is a bit of a joke. You have to enter a pairing code each time you want to use it at www.youtube.com/pair on your mobile which seems extremely stupid, but I may be missing something. On the app you can search videos, add them to a playlist or make them play on the PS3 straight away.

All in all I am personally VERY happy with this. I will be using my PS3 for my YT viewing from here on out. I just can't wait till it hits New Zealand PSN (my main, despite living in the EU) so that I don't have to log into the US PSN.
    Last edited by Ghost; 08-14-2012 at 22:30.

17. Likes Nitey wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran
    Wow! gave it a try and it's an amazing app.

-Interface is truly great looking and smooth, the whole app design is amazing.
    -Quality is good, although I'm pretty sure it doesn't stream @ 1080p and I couldn't find an option to change the quality output, so I guess we're stuck with auto for now.
    -For those wondering why on earth would I need to pair my mobile device with my PS3 Youtube app for? well I found something quite useful for it, which is using my smartphone's keyboard cause it's way faster typing with it than using the Dualshock.

I honestly loved this app and would rate it 9 out of 10.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    I would presume its easier to type searches with a smartphone kb than flicking thru the keys on the display the the DS3?

I forgot my PS3 at home so i cant get it right now

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    Wow! gave it a try and it's an amazing app.

-Interface is truly great looking and smooth, the whole app design is amazing.
    -Quality is good, although I'm pretty sure it doesn't stream @ 1080p and I couldn't find an option to change the quality output, so I guess we're stuck with auto for now.
    -For those wondering why on earth would I need to pair my mobile device with my PS3 Youtube app for? well I found something quite useful for it, which is using my smartphone's keyboard cause it's way faster typing with it than using the Dualshock.

I honestly loved this app and would rate it 9 out of 10.
    Yeah using swype on my smartphone to search was an advantage. I want a settings menu too so I can further tune the experience, as you mentioned, like output options. I'm sure the app will be updated in the future.

21. Likes daLa wishes they had posted this first.
    ***** dweller
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by snooper71 View Post
    I would presume its easier to type searches with a smartphone kb than flicking thru the keys on the display the the DS3?

I forgot my PS3 at home so i cant get it right now
    It's not that time consuming to type in a few words with the controller.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Overall I think this is an awesome app! I watch a lot of **** on youtube, I have IGN, Gamespot, PlayStation and various other game related channels subbed and now they are all here at my disposal quick and easy on my 46"Bravia. The interface is pretty simple, basically you just scroll up and down a menu that has all your subs plus featured videos and **** and all the latest videos are at the start there. it also seems to keep playing through all the vids on the channel. My only issue is that it feels a little bit clunky when you are scrolling down your channels because it loads in the thumbnails for all of the recent videos. This takes under a second but it stops the scrolling from being the fluid movement it could be. However, this is really of VERY little concern to me in the bigger picture of the app.

The picture quality is pretty good, but not as good as I was hoping. Maybe I'm just not used to watching YT on such a big screen. I will be intterested to hear other peoples opinions on this.

The smartphone control is something that is available for YT in general, like if you have the YT app on your TV, and is a bit of a joke. You have to enter a pairing code each time you want to use it at www.youtube.com/pair on your mobile which seems extremely stupid, but I may be missing something. On the app you can search videos, add them to a playlist or make them play on the PS3 straight away.

All in all I am personally VERY happy with this. I will be using my PS3 for my YT viewing from here on out. I just can't wait till it hits New Zealand PSN (my main, despite living in the EU) so that I don't have to log into the US PSN.
    Ghost I made a US account cos I'm so impatient. I can access the app on my EU account fine

Messed around with it a little and it's great so far. The video quality could be better as I don't think it's full HD playback - the 360 app looks a lot crisper on my tv, hopefully more options or just the ability to stream in 720/1080 will arrive in the future. I'm subscribed to quite a lot of channels and I like the way the app organises everything. Didn't even know it would have my playback history which I found awesome

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    It's not that time consuming to type in a few words with the controller.
    If the DS3 keyboard attachment works (gonna test now) then there is little to no need for the smartphone usage. However, it seems like a stock feature that isn't exclusive to the PS3 app, so on a TV youtube app for example, the smartphone usage would be perfect.

Edit: Oh, happy 6000th post me! Why thank you!

Edit 2: It doesn't support keyboard, because it's not like the usual PS3 text input. You have to scroll through the alphabet left and right and enter each letter. The app tries to predict what youre searching and brings up related videos as you type. Obviously the closer you get to your finished keyword, the more accurate the suggested vids get. Still pretty clumsy and ****ty. I don't search often anyways.
    Last edited by Ghost; 08-14-2012 at 23:02.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Ghost I made a US account cos I'm so impatient. I can access the app on my EU account fine

Messed around with it a little and it's great so far. The video quality could be better as I don't think it's full HD playback - the 360 app looks a lot crisper on my tv, hopefully more options or just the ability to stream in 720/1080 will arrive in the future. I'm subscribed to quite a lot of channels and I like the way the app organises everything. Didn't even know it would have my playback history which I found awesome
    Oh wow perfect! it works on my NZ account too! PERFECT! +rep

Edit: Yeah, what you said about crispness is what I feel is lacking. The picture is good, but it could be better.
    Last edited by Ghost; 08-14-2012 at 23:13.

26. Likes Nitey wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Guru
    Whoa. The pairing thing is awesome! Ghost I don't have to re-pair my S2 everytime to get it to work. So long as the PS3 Youtube app is open the youtube app on my S2 gives me this new icon next to the search icon, that when activated means my phone is connected

This is amazing . Nothing new but I've never used this before. I much prefer using my phone to sift through videos and then beam them on to my TV through the PS3 app. I find the phone quicker to navigate and flick through my subs than the DS3 or my BluRay remote, so this is a great feature for me

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Whoa. The pairing thing is awesome! Ghost I don't have to re-pair my S2 everytime to get it to work. So long as the PS3 Youtube app is open the youtube app on my S2 gives me this new icon next to the search icon, that when activated means my phone is connected

This is amazing . Nothing new but I've never used this before. I much prefer using my phone to sift through videos and then beam them on to my TV through the PS3 app. I find the phone quicker to navigate and flick through my subs than the DS3 or my BluRay remote, so this is a great feature for me
    I'm on S1. Are you using the browser version or the actual YT app on your smartphone?

Edit: Ahhh there is an app on the google store called Youtube Remote haha. I'm dling it now.
    Last edited by Ghost; 08-14-2012 at 23:57.

Elite Guru
    I'm using the actual app on my phone I initially went on the browser and did youtube.com/pair like it told me to and it automatically loaded up my app and I entered the code in there

Thread Information