Dedicated Member

Game updates and install on release day are a pain.

This gen of gaming is plagued by this imo. I just bought sleeping dogs and due to the fact that so did thousands of people, the download speeds take a hit (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Then on top of that I have to install it the game which nowadays take a few minutes but i remember GTA taking decades to install.

Plus having to back out of the game to install the bonus content you paid for which 9 times outta 10 its already on the disc is annoying.

Sleeping dogs is single player so it bothers me that I have to go through so much to play a game.

<End Rant/>
    It seems as if every other Spartan in the Halo universe is cooler and more interesting than Master Chief, yet they all died at the beginning of Halo 1.

2. Likes PS4freak , F34R likes this post
    Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Not really..only if you're incredibly impatient.

Also if a game comes with DLC, I download it before I boot the game.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Dedicated Member
    Incredibly impatient. is correct.
    It seems as if every other Spartan in the Halo universe is cooler and more interesting than Master Chief, yet they all died at the beginning of Halo 1.

Soldier 95B
    Yup, it is absolutely horrid. I hope that the PS4 fixes this.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Yup, it is absolutely horrid. I hope that the PS4 fixes this.
    Not sure how it would fix it. What will fix it is faster internet speeds to speed up the download times, and since the ps4 will be faster, install times should go down too. Most of the wait is the download though. Rather than complaining about the updates, you should be thankful the dev is doing them to correct issues they found after the game went gold. They could have just said forget it and left the game as is.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Having to both download AND install is definitely a downside of the PS3.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Installs take so long due to the slow speed of the Blu ray read speed (2x) and the low RPM of the hard drives 5400RPM max.
    The standard 40GB drive my PS3 came with is even slower than the 9 year old 80GB IDE drive my old computer came with which is 5400RPM.

Downloading while trying to install is a bad idea it maks the install take at least twice as long.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-14-2012 at 21:57.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by billm0066 View Post
    Not sure how it would fix it.
    Copy the way the 360 does it. Faster downloads and no installs. It's usually instant. I don't know how they do it though.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Installing doesn't bother me, been doing it for years on PC, shouldn't be doing it on consoles really, but I'd choose optional install every time anyway. Downloading patches though, especially on day 1, just shows how lazy devs have become. Instead of hiring people to test their games, they use the customers.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Copy the way the 360 does it. Faster downloads and no installs. It's usually instant. I don't know how they do it though.
    Agreed. My Xbox Live downloads are way faster than PSN.

Dedicated Member
    I agree but ship a complete game for once. A patch on DAY 1 doesn't sound complete to me.

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Rather than complaining about the updates, you should be thankful the dev is doing them to correct issues they found after the game went gold. They could have just said forget it and left the game as is.
    We should be 'thankful' for the updates? They shouldn't be necessary to begin with. Six years ago, games shipped COMPLETE, with minor technical bugs in a very few titles. Now, it's unusual for a game to NOT require fixing?

My question is, why on earth did we go backwards, and when did it start becoming OK to accept it, even be 'thankful' for it?

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Games ae bigger games are more complicated and publishers do not allow the time to be extended to get more testign done and fix bugs, they want their money so the game ships while they work onthe patches to fix known bugs.

Goldeneye was supposed to release in 1995 as a movie tie in but it didnt release until 2 years later and it still needed bugs to be fixed.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-15-2012 at 03:48.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by dakidx View Post
    This gen of gaming is plagued by this imo. I just bought sleeping dogs and due to the fact that so did thousands of people, the download speeds take a hit (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

Then on top of that I have to install it the game which nowadays take a few minutes but i remember GTA taking decades to install.

Plus having to back out of the game to install the bonus content you paid for which 9 times outta 10 its already on the disc is annoying.

Sleeping dogs is single player so it bothers me that I have to go through so much to play a game.

<End Rant/>
    I agree to an extent. It's annoying for some of the "procedural" things needed to be done on the PS3 involving games, installs, downloads, messaging, etc.
    Not sure how it would fix it. What will fix it is faster internet speeds to speed up the download times, and since the ps4 will be faster, install times should go down too. Most of the wait is the download though. Rather than complaining about the updates, you should be thankful the dev is doing them to correct issues they found after the game went gold. They could have just said forget it and left the game as is.
    No. The speeds aren't the culprit. Usually it's the pipe that Sony has being beaten to death. They need more pipes, aka bandwidth from their servers. You can tell when they are bogged down when a 16Mb/s connection takes five+ seconds to download a single MB.
    Quote Originally Posted by dakidx View Post
    I agree but ship a complete game for once. A patch on DAY 1 doesn't sound complete to me.
    Usually they are getting the game ready to go, and last minute bugs or glitches, etc., would delay the game over and over again. It's not a full proof scenario to develop the fixes, but it's something that is better than not getting fixes for the game at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleOnTheRun View Post
    We should be 'thankful' for the updates? They shouldn't be necessary to begin with. Six years ago, games shipped COMPLETE, with minor technical bugs in a very few titles. Now, it's unusual for a game to NOT require fixing?

My question is, why on earth did we go backwards, and when did it start becoming OK to accept it, even be 'thankful' for it?
    No, games didn't get shipped COMPLETE. They got shipped with bugs and glitches the same as they do today. Back then, updates, fixes, dlc, etc., weren't a normal thing. I doubt you can find a single game, EVER, that didn't have something that could be fixed.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Not really..only if you're incredibly impatient.

Also if a game comes with DLC, I download it before I boot the game.
    This right here. I never understood the overblown fuss of waiting for installs and updates.

If anything i think we should be happy that we have better performance due to installs and patches that fix games. Back in the day if a game was released broken it stayed broken.

Start the install or update. Go and get a drink and a snack or something. It will be done in no time. I promise.

17. Likes Versus likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    This right here. I never understood the overblown fuss of waiting for installs and updates.

If anything i think we should be happy that we have better performance due to installs and patches that fix games. Back in the day if a game was released broken it stayed broken.

Start the install or update. Go and get a drink and a snack or something. It will be done in no time. I promise.
    Thank You. It's not that big a deal. Go do something else while waiting. It will be done eventually. It's not like it take HOURS on end like some major MMO updates take.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Yep I'm with you there 100%. It is definitely a major flaw as far as the PS3 is concerned. But another factor that has come into play a few time with me personally is if you install said patch before installing game data, it can create problems. It has been reported on numerous occasions in various games as making trophies not pop and corrupting save data. As others have stated, I hope that Sony reworks this whole system for the PS4. Is it unbearable, no. It just seems inefficiency.

On the other side of the argument, it doesn't really bother me all that much. Yes I want to play my games as soon as I put it in my system but that isn't always the case. I'm definitely not the most impatient person in the world so it really doesn't affect me that bad. But it is something that I would say is a downside of the PS3.
    Last edited by PS4freak; 08-15-2012 at 07:10.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

20. Likes RaY_210 likes this post
    Super Elite
    I think as long as it makes the game play smoother and better, then I'm not particularly fussed about the game installation and patches.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Thread Information