Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Sony in talks with publishers for cross buy promotions

Ancient
    Ya know Sony don't have to do this, its an extra 40 quid in there pocket doing it separate, so I salute Sony for pushing this, guess the games attachment ratio is gonna be off lol

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Ya know Sony don't have to do this, its an extra 40 quid in there pocket doing it separate, so I salute Sony for pushing this, guess the games attachment ratio is gonna be off lol Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
    Actually they kind of do have to do this. The Vita is selling poorly and Sony doesn't want to cut the price so they have to do something else to make the Vita more attractive. So cross buy and bundles are the way Sony is going to do this.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Cross Buy is a good idea. It's necessary to make the idea of the Cross Play innitiative a financial reality for gamers. I would only ever consider double dipping for the option in VERY VERY few occasions, but now it seems I won't have to when it comes to Sony's games at least. They aren't really losing out much anyway, the free Vita game is DD only. If it gets in more sales, then there are more people to potentially buy the Vita titles that aren't paired with PS3counterparts.

It's all about creating value to bring in customers and Sony are going hard out at this, offering the free Vita game with Cross Buy, the numerous free games via PS+ and the mega collections that they outlined recently.
    Last edited by Ghost; 08-16-2012 at 22:15.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Actually they kind of do have to do this. The Vita is selling poorly and Sony doesn't want to cut the price so they have to do something else to make the Vita more attractive. So cross buy and bundles are the way Sony is going to do this.
    I see it like Blu-rays triple play
    More or less the same really

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    It will be a win, win, win for all of us(Sony, 3rd Party and gamers!).

7. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I see it like Blu-rays triple play More or less the same really Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
    Hmm..I have to disagree. But anyway its awesome for me as a consumer and a gamer.

Ancient
    Hmm..I have to disagree. But anyway its awesome for me as a consumer and a gamer.
    Wait ya saying Cross-buy isn't the same as Double & Triple- Play?
    You buy the Blu-ray version and get the DVD version free
    You buy the PS3 version and you get the Vita version free
    Ya sure?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Wait ya saying Cross-buy isn't the same as Double & Triple- Play? You buy the Blu-ray version and get the DVD version free You buy the PS3 version and you get the Vita version free Ya sure? Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
    What I mean is I think the reason for it is different given the circumstances. Vita is struggling and this is a way to make it more attractive without a price drop. Do you honestly believe Sony would be giving away free Vita games if the Vita was raking in the sales? I think its a clever strategy myself. Propably cheaper for Sony then a price drop. Plus a price drop usually just provides a temporary spike.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 08-16-2012 at 23:18.

Ancient
    What I mean is I think the reason for it is different given the circumstances. Vita is struggling and this is a way to make it more attractive without a price drop. Do you honestly believe Sony would be giving away free Vita games if the Vita was raking in the sales? I think its a clever strategy myself.
    Oh I was talking concept only

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Oh I was talking concept only Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
    Oh ok I gotcha. Yeah the concept is the same.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    What I mean is I think the reason for it is different given the circumstances. Vita is struggling and this is a way to make it more attractive without a price drop. Do you honestly believe Sony would be giving away free Vita games if the Vita was raking in the sales? I think its a clever strategy myself. Propably cheaper for Sony then a price drop. Plus a price drop usually just provides a temporary spike.
    I dunno, as I mentioned before, I think this initiative is more about making cross play feasible financially than it was about bringing in sales. I mean of course it is also about the sales, but Sony harp on about taking your games on the go and about always playing, yet they would be smoking some pretty sticky wacky backy if they thought that gamers would be shelling out nearly €100 just for the ability to do so. lol It is definitely an incentive though for people who buy these games on PS3 and see that free Vita download voucher in the box. Look at MGS HD...How many people you think bought both the PS3 and Vita version? Kojima made this corny "transfarring" catchword, but if he thinks I will take advantage of it on games like ZoE HD and Metal Gear Rising when I have to buy both versions, he's got another think coming. Meh, I dunno, it's late and I'm tired...lol

14. Likes Thorzilla likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I dunno, as I mentioned before, I think this initiative is more about making cross play feasible financially than it was about bringing in sales. I mean of course it is also about the sales, but Sony harp on about taking your games on the go and about always playing, yet they would be smoking some pretty sticky wacky backy if they thought that gamers would be shelling out nearly €100 just for the ability to do so. lol It is definitely an incentive though for people who buy these games on PS3 and see that free Vita download voucher in the box. Look at MGS HD...How many people you think bought both the PS3 and Vita version? Kojima made this corny "transfarring" catchword, but if he thinks I will take advantage of it on games like ZoE HD and Metal Gear Rising when I have to buy both versions, he's got another think coming. Meh, I dunno, it's late and I'm tired...lol
    Are any of these games actually cross-playable?
    Do yo mean just single player saves etc, or do you mean online multiplay?
    Because, well online mulitplay is kind of pointless to do this, your talking about someone elses copy of the game.

Still, haveing me playing on a PS3 and my son playing against me on a Vita, yeah I could see that would be cool.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I still hold to my opinion as to why. But why doesn't matter to me anyway. What does matter is that Sony is hooking me up as a PS3/Vita owner. So I'm excited about this.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Are any of these games actually cross-playable?
    Do yo mean just single player saves etc, or do you mean online multiplay?
    Because, well online mulitplay is kind of pointless to do this, your talking about someone elses copy of the game.

Still, haveing me playing on a PS3 and my son playing against me on a Vita, yeah I could see that would be cool.
    Battle Royal is has cross lay multilayer. Sly 4 doesn't but has unique Vita applications with the PS3 version as well as getting the Vita version. R&C Q-force I'm not sure about.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    I really think if 3rd party jump on board we can see Sony invest even more into the idea of cross-buy and cross-play. I'm hopeful that this will happen

Looking at Most Wanted and AC3:Liberation it's clear as day that the Vita is more than capable, if only Sony could get Vita out there to more people. The possibilities are amazing

Superior Member

PSN ID
    XSpike
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    It will be a win, win, win for all of us(Sony, 3rd Party and gamers!).
    I would agree, for example if NFS does get cross-buy I'll get the game the day it releases. If it doesn't then I'll just skip the game altogether. My reason for this as I wasn't interested in a new NFS as I've got plenty of games on my PS3 atm and my Vita has plenty of upcoming games to keep me busy all year.
    But If I can grab NFS for both PS3 and Vita for the same price as a PS3 title, Hell yeah!!! That's worth my money day 1.

PS3 owners who (don't know about cross-buy) will go into the store buy PS All Stars, Slycooper for their PS3 and they notice they get the Vita game for free.. Later down the road some more games they buy also include Vita games.. They start thinking "I've already got 1-3 PSVita games for free with my PS3 games, maybe I should get a Vita as it also has some really good exclusives as well"

Win for customers, win for Sony, win for 3rd party devs.

Example, I could of bought MGS:HD for PS3 with peacewalker but I decided I wanted a good game for my Vita so I waited till the Vita version was out and I bought that. I have no plans on getting the PS3 version. There's only some people who will go out and buy both versions, most people won't.

So cross-buy will attract a lot more gamers as they look at the Vita "Nah I don't need it as I'd just buy the games on PS3 and the exclusives? well I will just go without.." but with cross-buy they'll be getting the Vita game for free so they might as well get a Vita.

It will like someone else said, cross-play will benefit as most people would only buy slycooper for one console and not the other. But with cross-buy it'll be worth having both versions so people will use cross-play. Anyways this will effect more PSN games over BR titles but no doubt we'll still see quite a few BR titles with cross-buy
    Last edited by XSpike; 08-17-2012 at 00:19.
    Bow down before Drippy - Lord High Lord of the Fairies

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    I really think if 3rd party jump on board we can see Sony invest even more into the idea of cross-buy and cross-play. I'm hopeful that this will happen

Looking at Most Wanted and AC3:Liberation it's clear as day that the Vita is more than capable, if only Sony could get Vita out there to more people. The possibilities are amazing
    How would this work for publishers exactly though, they dont really want to give away copies of their games, and most of them probably dont even particular want to devlop a Vita version just for cross-buy.

Furthermore, they are doing something that isnt really in thier mandate, give away free stuff to benifit another company.
    I can only think this would work if Sony subsidised them per copy or something, I dunno it gets real messy real quick, how do you acvount for the sales, how many people bought the Vita version, do you pay them per copy sold or per vita copy downloaded, what to stop someone downloading the vita version 6 motnhs from now? Conversley they may never download it.
    I cant really see it working that well TBH.
    "We'll obviously encourage third-parties to adopt it but ultimately whether or not a game includes Cross Buy is a publishing decision and it will be at the third parties' discretion whether or not they want to go down that route. "
    They wont. He's got his head in the clouds if they think merley asking them to do it is going to make it happen.
    Last edited by mynd; 08-17-2012 at 00:21.

Elite Guru
    I have no idea about the specifics

Like I said, I'm just hopeful that it can one day become a reality and the idea of it is just amazing!

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    I have no idea about the specifics

Like I said, I'm just hopeful that it can one day become a reality and the idea of it is just amazing!
    It wont happen, of course it would be nice, but "nice" is what we as consumers want, "money" is want publishers want.
    There is no way in hell publishers are just simply going to give away free stuff.

Elite Guru
    Okay Mynd

Lock thread guys

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Free stuff means more people having a game and this can lead to more DLC sales. Porting from PS3 to Vita is apparently fairly simple, so I see how this is an attractive offer for publishers when they can sell more DLC.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Okay Mynd

Lock thread guys
    LOL, yeah I know I'm a party pooper.

But really, I cant see many doing it, but it is ideal for Sony to do it.
    Of course if Sony shell out for it, then yeah they might do it.

Last edited by mynd; 08-17-2012 at 01:06.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    It wont happen, of course it would be nice, but "nice" is what we as consumers want, "money" is want publishers want. There is no way in hell publishers are just simply going to give away free stuff.
    Yeah Sony will definitely have to pay these 3rd party publishers to participate in this because like you said publishers arent going to just give away free Vita games. Also another hinderance will be the extremely overpriced memory cards people will have to buy to download these free games. Sony will need to stop ripping off their customers and get realistic with these memory card prices if they want this to really take off. Because customers will need the bigger sized cards to accommodate these full games they will be downloading. If Sony doesn't budge on the memory card prices then I dont really see this strategy taking off. Some people would say the price of the memory cards are worth the value of the free games but the average consumer doesn't think like that nor have the disposable income to think like that. They just know that they have to shell out $100 or so in order to get a memory card big enough to really take advantage of this.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 08-17-2012 at 05:05.

Superior Member

The reason it COULD happen is because like someone said above. They would never even buy the game if it wasn't for the bonus. I'm not saying it would work for EVERY title but ones that share lots of resources and development it makes a lot of sense. Take for example you make this a pre-order bonus or limited edition (where you make say a few hundred thousand copies at launch). What happens is you would see a higher adoption rate at launch correct? You sell say 200,000 copies day 1 instead of your normal say 100,000. Suddenly you have an extra 100,000 sales worth. That money is in your pocket immediately. To be reinvested into other projects or to gain interest. A game sold day 1 at $60 is worth more than one sold a month later at $60. You have that money for a month...otherwise the gamer has that money.

What usually happens...gamers wait...they lose interest....they may never by the title. You want to separate them from their money day 1. This probably wouldn't happen on games say like GTA....that would have huge demand...but NFS...sure. Not only that what else happens....used games gobble up sales too as gamers wait. Price drops gobble up margins. Fact is by using such things at launch or with Limited edition CAN make sense for a developer. Its just like free to play games. There is a business model for this. It isn't as stupid as you would think. Sure it would help if Sony subsidizes it somehow....but that doesn't make it out of the rhelm of possibility.

Considering how tough the competition in the market you have say two great games like (just an example) DOA and Tekken. One has the the free vita play the other doesn't. As a gamer which gets your money? Possibly the one that does. The other could risk not getting a sale...or one at a later date for less money...or possibly worse the sale goes to gamestop for a used version and you get squat! It can give your company a competitive advantage. We know it costs to develop these vita games but with the power and ease to port PS3 resources over...this is a huge advantage. There isn't the huge difference in resources like it was to develop on a PSP with its lack of power. I tell you there is a market for this. I'm not going to say this will work or become the norm but I could easily see crossplay with a free or discounted vita version. It is possible and it does make a business sense. Don't dismiss it so easily. There are more than one way to make up your cost with production. You can sell dlc suddenly to two devices..you can grow an install base (for sony) but with the mind that as you do...you create more customers for your games. You help build a platform to sell separate specific vita games to...you grow your market. Come on people...this isn't rocket science. Business 101. Sure it isn't a normal business model...but while this is new somewhat to the console/games market....it isn't new to business.

Thread Information