Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

PSN ID
    CMac-19
    Well you have to think that most people don't want to spend $100 just to get the game on ps3 and vita. So they shouldn't be losing too much money.

PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    I imagine Sony will offer them marketing money or reduced royalties or something like that.

Elite Guru
    I'd have thought convincing a third party to put extra time/money into developing for another platform with potentially lesser opportunity to sell due to cross-play would be a hard battle.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    I'd have thought convincing a third party to put extra time/money into developing for another platform with potentially lesser opportunity to sell due to cross-play would be a hard battle.
    Apparently porting from PS3 to Vita is a piece of piss so I don't think it's a MAJOR hassle, but yeah you're right. I also wonder what incentive there'd be but who knows what kind of deals are made in this business.

Elite Guru
    I'm thinking it might go the way of pay extra for both. Game on PS3 alone is £39.99, for a PS3/Vita double, it's £54.99 - for example. Can't see them wanting to do it for nothing. I wouldn't.

As a consumer though, I'd be prepared to pay a little extra for the game on multiple platforms. Got to be priced right, though.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    I'm thinking it might go the way of pay extra for both. Game on PS3 alone is £39.99, for a PS3/Vita double, it's £54.99 - for example. Can't see them wanting to do it for nothing. I wouldn't.

As a consumer though, I'd be prepared to pay a little extra for the game on multiple platforms. Got to be priced right, though.
    To be honest the possibility of someone buying the same game on both is slim, and I doubt DLC will be Cross-buy
    So offering both versions opens up the DLC revenue to people who wouldn't have bought it which is more of a advantage then not offering both versions.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    SONY can get away with it, but third party might charge a little more and sell dual packs.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

8. Likes mynd likes this post
    Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by davin_g View Post
    The reason it COULD happen is because like someone said above. They would never even buy the game if it wasn't for the bonus. I'm not saying it would work for EVERY title but ones that share lots of resources and development it makes a lot of sense. Take for example you make this a pre-order bonus or limited edition (where you make say a few hundred thousand copies at launch). What happens is you would see a higher adoption rate at launch correct? You sell say 200,000 copies day 1 instead of your normal say 100,000. Suddenly you have an extra 100,000 sales worth. That money is in your pocket immediately. To be reinvested into other projects or to gain interest. A game sold day 1 at $60 is worth more than one sold a month later at $60. You have that money for a month...otherwise the gamer has that money.

What usually happens...gamers wait...they lose interest....they may never by the title. You want to separate them from their money day 1. This probably wouldn't happen on games say like GTA....that would have huge demand...but NFS...sure. Not only that what else happens....used games gobble up sales too as gamers wait. Price drops gobble up margins. Fact is by using such things at launch or with Limited edition CAN make sense for a developer. Its just like free to play games. There is a business model for this. It isn't as stupid as you would think. Sure it would help if Sony subsidizes it somehow....but that doesn't make it out of the rhelm of possibility.

Considering how tough the competition in the market you have say two great games like (just an example) DOA and Tekken. One has the the free vita play the other doesn't. As a gamer which gets your money? Possibly the one that does. The other could risk not getting a sale...or one at a later date for less money...or possibly worse the sale goes to gamestop for a used version and you get squat! It can give your company a competitive advantage. We know it costs to develop these vita games but with the power and ease to port PS3 resources over...this is a huge advantage. There isn't the huge difference in resources like it was to develop on a PSP with its lack of power. I tell you there is a market for this. I'm not going to say this will work or become the norm but I could easily see crossplay with a free or discounted vita version. It is possible and it does make a business sense. Don't dismiss it so easily. There are more than one way to make up your cost with production. You can sell dlc suddenly to two devices..you can grow an install base (for sony) but with the mind that as you do...you create more customers for your games. You help build a platform to sell separate specific vita games to...you grow your market. Come on people...this isn't rocket science. Business 101. Sure it isn't a normal business model...but while this is new somewhat to the console/games market....it isn't new to business.
    I still think developers have incentives to do this. There is a market for it....not saying they have to do this but for some titles I think its a win-win.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Somebody tell me how you stop people from selling one or the other?
    The only way I can is that it would have to be tied to a single PSN account, BOTH of them...

Now, hands up who wants even more draconian DRM?

Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    SONY can get away with it, but third party might charge a little more and sell dual packs.
    I could see this happening, yeah. Totally agree.
    Last edited by mynd; 08-18-2012 at 04:42.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I don't think it'll be DRM'd at all. It'll be a code. Period.

12. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I don't think it'll be DRM'd at all. It'll be a code. Period.
    Which you could sell then?
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Which you could sell then?
    Either one would be able to be sold. You can sell the code, or sell the physical game.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    These cross by promotions would def move alot of vitas if they follow thru

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Either one would be able to be sold. You can sell the code, or sell the physical game.
    Soo...people start waiting for cross buy codes to hit Ebay, instead of buying the game retail....

Am I the only one seeing the flaw in all of this?

I know people think this in a incentive for people to buy "a game", but the reality is you either buy it or you don't. The publishers aren't going to give you a free game , one you can then sell and screw them out of a sale for another platform version of the game, as an incentive.
    There is already a plethora of sales and marketing tools they can use to entice you to buy a game.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Soo...people start waiting for cross buy codes to hit Ebay, instead of buying the game retail....

Am I the only one seeing the flaw in all of this?

I know people think this in a incentive for people to buy "a game", but the reality is you either buy it or you don't. The publishers aren't going to give you a free game , one you can then sell and screw them out of a sale for another platform version of the game, as an incentive.
    There is already a plethora of sales and marketing tools they can use to entice you to buy a game.
    I think you are the only one trying to see a flaw in it. It makes no difference to them at the end of the day who downloads the free Vita game. The person who bought the PS3 game either gets it or someone who buys a code. However, I wonder how many people would actually be trustful enough to buy a download code over the internet lol.

In any event, although I'm hopeful for it, I don't think 3rd party will latch on to this. However, EA didn't flat out deny it so we will see.
    Last edited by Ghost; 08-18-2012 at 08:06.

PSU Executive Editor (US), Brosota, Platinumer
    This may become something that's only offered with digital versions. I don't think that it'll be something that would be offered off of the PlayStation Network itself, considering all of the things that have been mentioned in this chain. All of the games so far that have offered free Vita versions have all been strictly digital for both, so I don't bet on Sony doing this offer any other way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Nunes View Post
    This may become something that's only offered with digital versions. I don't think that it'll be something that would be offered off of the PlayStation Network itself, considering all of the things that have been mentioned in this chain. All of the games so far that have offered free Vita versions have all been strictly digital for both, so I don't bet on Sony doing this offer any other way.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    It applies to both. If you purchase either a physical or digital version of an applicable PS3 title, you can download the Vita version at no extra cost.
    From the Sony EU blog. Perhaps there will be something in the games menu that takes you to the PS store for the download like how some games have a DLC menu that takes you there. This way no one could sell their code.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    From the Sony EU blog. Perhaps there will be something in the games menu that takes you to the PS store for the download like how some games have a DLC menu that takes you there. This way no one could sell their code.
    Now that would work, yes.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Yeah, I thought about it being like that unfortunately lol.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Yeah, I thought about it being like that unfortunately lol.
    Unfortunately?

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Unfortunately?
    F34R was already counting his money from his code sales on eBay lol.

24. Likes F34R likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    If it isn't going to be possible to sell the codes, then it won't be possible to buy the codes. I would be better off at times finding someone selling a game that normally will be $40, for $20 or less, etc. I don't HAVE to, but the option would be nice to visit.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    If it isn't going to be possible to sell the codes, then it won't be possible to buy the codes. I would be better off at times finding someone selling a game that normally will be $40, for $20 or less, etc. I don't HAVE to, but the option would be nice to visit.
    Ahh I see. Hmm, I would be scared to try buying a code. "Ahhh great, the seller has emailed me the code, Ok, I'll just enter this $#@! and get down to business...........code already redeemed.....?" lol.

Hmm will be interesting to see how it's done. The more I think about it, the more possible an in game system seems. Ah well, time will tell.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Ahh I see. Hmm, I would be scared to try buying a code. "Ahhh great, the seller has emailed me the code, Ok, I'll just enter this $#@! and get down to business...........code already redeemed.....?" lol.

Hmm will be interesting to see how it's done. The more I think about it, the more possible an in game system seems. Ah well, time will tell.
    From memory that's how the Halo 3 beta worked in crackdown, it was all from the game menu. So it's been done before, kinda.
    Of course this is on another platform, but I imagine you would tie it to a psn account on your vita.

I think you hit the nail on the head though, that would be the way to do it.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER

Yeah, there are chances involved in it, but using a service with buyers protection is mostly reliable.

It was just a thought about maybe being able to get some games at a discount that I wouldn't have bought for the PS3.

Thread Information