Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3Assassins Creed EzioCoD: World at War

Resistance Burning Skies, Why so much hate?

After the Black Ops declassified trailer leaving people underwhelmed and then even more disappointed once hearing it was being developed by the team behind Resistance Burning Skies I decided pick up Resistance today to understand why there is so much hate and disappointment going around.

I started on Resistance late this morning and got the Platinum this evening so feel I've had enough time with the game to come to my verdict and opinions so would like to hear the thoughts and opinions of others who have played it (not just put off by some of the reviews).

Firstly, yes it's pretty short. Secondly and more importantly IMO, I felt right at home with the control scheme. The dual sticks are spot on, movement is just like a DS pad and the face buttons are like most FPS's, X jump, circle crouch, square reload and triangle switch weapon. L&R shoulder buttons are aim down site and shoot. No problems there at all, very responsive and it played as I expected it too. The touch controls worked perfectly for using grenades and melee. Not having a L3 button meant sprint was double tap on the rear touch pad or down on the D pad, again, spot on here as well.

Graphically, it isn't a masterpiece but it isn't bad. There are waves and waves of enemies of different sorts to contend with, a dozen or more on screen at once with no frame drops or slow downs.

The narrative was a bit of a drag inbetween chapters yet it's certainly better than a bland loading screen waiting for the next scene to load.

I found the online pretty solid, various loudouts etc and game modes to chose from. I found the maps a good size for 4v4 and suffered zero lag during combat.

So is the game getting hate for being too short? Is it because it's not the best looking FPS to date? 4v4 online not enough? Or is it because it got some poor reviews so alot of people have jumped on the band wagon having not played it and decided to hate it?

I thought it was great, the control scheme and dual sticks were tight, reasonable story with a good effort at MP as well. It was a shame the single player came to a early close but that seems the case with most FPS's.

After playing this, if declassified is a reskin of resistance then I will be buying it as I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Be good to hear other peoples opinions.

Cheers

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    A lot of people played the demo, read reviews, and jumped on the bandwagon.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    FonFahbre
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by SupraGaz View Post
    After the Black Ops declassified trailer leaving people underwhelmed and then even more disappointed once hearing it was being developed by the team behind Resistance Burning Skies I decided pick up Resistance today to understand why there is so much hate and disappointment going around.

I started on Resistance late this morning and got the Platinum this evening so feel I've had enough time with the game to come to my verdict and opinions so would like to hear the thoughts and opinions of others who have played it (not just put off by some of the reviews).

Firstly, yes it's pretty short. Secondly and more importantly IMO, I felt right at home with the control scheme. The dual sticks are spot on, movement is just like a DS pad and the face buttons are like most FPS's, X jump, circle crouch, square reload and triangle switch weapon. L&R shoulder buttons are aim down site and shoot. No problems there at all, very responsive and it played as I expected it too. The touch controls worked perfectly for using grenades and melee. Not having a L3 button meant sprint was double tap on the rear touch pad or down on the D pad, again, spot on here as well.

Graphically, it isn't a masterpiece but it isn't bad. There are waves and waves of enemies of different sorts to contend with, a dozen or more on screen at once with no frame drops or slow downs.

The narrative was a bit of a drag inbetween chapters yet it's certainly better than a bland loading screen waiting for the next scene to load.

I found the online pretty solid, various loudouts etc and game modes to chose from. I found the maps a good size for 4v4 and suffered zero lag during combat.

So is the game getting hate for being too short? Is it because it's not the best looking FPS to date? 4v4 online not enough? Or is it because it got some poor reviews so alot of people have jumped on the band wagon having not played it and decided to hate it?

I thought it was great, the control scheme and dual sticks were tight, reasonable story with a good effort at MP as well. It was a shame the single player came to a early close but that seems the case with most FPS's.

After playing this, if declassified is a reskin of resistance then I will be buying it as I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Be good to hear other peoples opinions.

Cheers
    I have the game and I even reviewed it if you're interested.

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...56#post5838856

In short, I was not pleased with the length of the game, lack of character development, empty story, underwhelming enemies(Terrible AI) and yes, outdated graphics(The Vita is capable of much more). I did however compliment the control and touch functions. One thing I admit is that I did not review the multiplayer, simply because I was in it for the single-player.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Fon's review IMO is pretty spot on.

It's a decent game but just underwhelming in terms of atmosphere and being a good 'Resistance' game. It didn't do the franchise enough justice, but was still enjoyable

Via Tapatalk

5. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
    Apprentice

I didn't see what all the hype was about using the dual analog sticks when Unit 13did it first?

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by hedcase View Post
    I didn't see what all the hype was about using the dual analog sticks when Unit 13did it first?
    Its because Reisitance BS was the first FPS, where Unit 13 was a TPS

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    FonFahbre
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Its because Reisitance BS was the first FPS, where Unit 13 was a TPS
    Short and to the point I see.

9. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Veteran
    Maybe hearing/reading all the negativity around the game and only having played Resistance FoM (at launch) I wasn't expecting a great deal so was pleasantly surprised during my playthrough. Its made me pick up R2 & 3 anyway so it must have done something right for me
    Also after having just had a quick blast on Uncharted:GA and Super Star Dust I can see now why some were less than impressed with the graphical side of things.

The Mega Man
    I owned Resistance Vita for a day, long enough to get the platinum. I traded for Gravity Rush the next day. It's not a bad game but it's not a good one either. Meh pretty much describes it.

I will be getting COD when it comes out.

Superior Member

For someone that has played every game in the series it definately lacked the story and atmosphere of all the other entries. As for graphics...it was possibly worse than the previous PSP title so it felt underwhelming. Gameplay and mechanics were pretty decent but it just felt like a rushed title. No where near Resistance worthy and no where near a $40 game. Online lags so much...hard to even give that a score.

It has been overly bashed...but its still a poor attempt/entry in an otherwise pretty good series. 6/10

13. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Superior Member

PSN ID
    XSpike
    Not enough content in the games, the engine is poor or the devs just don't care. There's no reason for both these games to have small player counts on small maps. They probably made Resistance and CoD with 1 year development time each (with the engine already built probably ported from an iphone engine from the shape of it...)

Its just a stripped down game to produce quickly. It may still be fun to play, as they got the basics nailed. But they haven't put enough work into these games, its a poor show title for the Vita. KZ needs to rise up and take center stage
    Bow down before Drippy - Lord High Lord of the Fairies

PSU Executive Editor (US), Brosota, Platinumer
    You make good points, but this could be a good example of a game that's been created in a short time to show what the Vita can do with only a little development time.

I totally agree about Killzone. I feel like it has more potential to bring PlayStation faithfuls to the PlayStation handheld that Call of Duty does, since the Vita really is, at this point, a PlayStation-loyal device.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Forum Elder
    I thought it was fun as hell. I loved the gameplay aspect.

Im not a graphics $#@! and the only time I care about a deep story in a game is when its an rpg.

Had a great time with this game.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    I'm getting it in a few days, and I'm pretty sure I'll love it. Played the demo and thought the controls were tight as hell and the graphics weren't all that bad.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

18. Likes F34R likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I'll def get resistance when I get a Vita. I owe it to R:FoM.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Power Member
    The real problem here is that, honestly, this is probably one of the most 'radical' FPS's to grace the mobile scene. In all reality, it has proper dual stick support, online matchmaking, and a quasi-successful attempt at being graphically pleasing.

Maybe we're just setting our bar to high. Out the gate we're pointing at mainstream FPS titles on the PC or console scene and saying "BE LIKE THIS!".

On the other hand, why the hell can they not match them? If the game is given a good team and budget there is no real argument...

So it was a good first attempt and should serve as a 'hallmark' for the first person shooter genre for handhelds. But in the grand scheme of things it isn't really much of a shooter title outside of that qualifier.

21. Likes Thorzilla likes this post
    PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by MjW View Post
    I'll def get resistance when I get a Vita. I owe it to R:FoM.
    I'll get it out of curiosity, and an easy Platinum.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorzilla View Post
    I'm getting it in a few days, and I'm pretty sure I'll love it. Played the demo and thought the controls were tight as hell and the graphics weren't all that bad.
    Graphics get much better as the game goes on. In some places I stopped and looked around and was like "damn that looks good"

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    I've got the game. It arrived today so I'll play some later.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by R3D D3V!L View Post
    I've got the game. It arrived today so I'll play some later.
    That was a fast one. lol

Let us now what you think. And on how easy the plat is.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Veteran
    Plat took me sub 5 hours with breaks. What definitely helped it was no difficulty related trophies and you don't have to collect all intel etc.

Interesting to read the mixed opinions. If it was a bit more polished and with a lengthier story it sounds like a lot more would have enjoyed it.

Here's hoping they understand this and make a bit more of a effort with Black Ops. The control scheme IMO is spot on so with a couple of tweaks here and there it could still be the title most are hoping for (although 4v4 is a bit of a let down for BOps).

PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    I got the Platinum and have the MP for a bit. The biggest thing I think is that the game lacks polish and needed a few more months in development but I guess we know why that didn't happen. The gameplay itself is fine, nothing special but it proves that FPS can work on a handheld. The sounds are terrible though.

Thread Information