Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

DF: Sleeping Dogs Face Off.

Digital Foundry Sleeping Dogs Face Off.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...-dogs-face-off

Snip:

The use of a deferred shading set-up has implications for both consoles, resulting in two distinct implementations. On Microsoft's system, Sleeping Dogs adopts a native 1200x720 presentation, with an 80-pixel horizontal upscale to 720p, while on the PS3 we're looking at a much lower 1152x640, which has more severe implications with regards to overall image quality. Anti-aliasing on both consoles is a post-process, most likely provided by NVIDIA's popular FXAA solution, although we find that the PS3 uses a more aggressive edge-detect algorithm in order to smooth over the additional jaggies created by the heavy upscale.

While the 360 game gives a passable impression of a native 720p presentation, it looks significantly blurrier on the PS3: the combination of the much heavier upscaling and a stronger FXAA solution covering the final image in a veil of softness. Finer texture details that are visible on both platforms are smoothed over and edges feature a distinct softness that is regularly apparent with anti-aliased sub-HD games. Specular highlights are also subdued on the PS3 due to the stronger edge-detection being employed, although this doesn't come across as a particular downside given that the characters can look a little too shiny in some scenes on the 360.

Aside from the obvious resolution differences, it is clear that the PS3 version is missing some of the more intricate texture details found on the 360, a situation not helped by the more aggressive FXAA implementation. Additionally, we also find that normal maps feature less distinctive bumps and ripples, leading to the affected surfaces looking a touch blockier in nature. The reason for this is that lower resolution artwork is used on many objects throughout the game, thus resulting in visible detail loss, while normal maps appear to be using a different, more lossy compression scheme which creates artifacts on surfaces which use the effect - the Xenos GPU has access to improved texture compression technology compared to RSX, which may explain this.

Elsewhere, a few other nip/tucks have been made to the PS3 code. The level of anisotropic filtering is lower on the Sony platform, impacting the clarity of the artwork from a distance, and lower quality LOD (level of detail) models are used during the cut-scenes, which see a number of small detail-enhancing features missing. The hair on the characters has been simplified slightly on the PS3 and the normal mapping present on the jewellery they are wearing is also absent. Meanwhile, in terms of post-processing effects, motion blur appears to be identical on both formats, although depth of field is stronger on the PS3.

The 360 tends to hold itself closer to the desired 30FPS update more often than the PS3, with smaller dips in scenes which tax the engine. Generally there's less screen-tear too. The tearing can be quite unsightly on the PS3 at times, with the tear-line moving up and down the screen creating a juddering effect, and this isn't helped by the more variable frame-rate which drops lower - and for longer.

However, across a more general run of play, these issues are far less severe on both consoles, and the PS3 version manages to equalise with the 360 for the most part - in fact, there are times when one version has the slight edge over the other, and vice-versa. Outside of a few distinct issues both versions manage to meet their 30FPS target reasonably well, with complex parts of the environment and quick camera pans being the most common cause for a dip in smoothness.
    http://i.imgur.com/PX3QX.jpg

360 build for me.
    Last edited by A7; 08-17-2012 at 18:19. Reason: DF took link down but got the Cache link. ;)
    Gaming on all platforms right now.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    When I decide to pick this up it will be the 360 one too. I've been reading up on the game and it sounds like it's pretty good.

3. Likes A7 likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Gonna grab this on PC tonight via STEAM.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Gonna grab this on PC tonight via STEAM.
    I never knew you were interested in this game. Lol.

Tell me what you think of it sometime.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

PSU Technical Advisor
    I like violent open world games. They provide alot of replay value and potential for havoc.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by A7MAD View Post
    Digital Foundry Sleeping Dogs Face Off. http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...-dogs-face-off Snip: http://i.imgur.com/PX3QX.jpg 360 build for me.
    Same here. Another example of why I buy most of my multiplatform games on the 360.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    When I get it I'll pick it up on 360 then. I'm pretty indifferent on what console I buy my games on but if I come across something like this, may as well get the more stable version

Via Tapatalk

PSU Technical Advisor
    I want a mod where the main character looks like Bane.

Ancient
    When I was reading through it my credit card was slowly returning to it rightful place in my wallet, but after seeing the screens

it not as bad as they was describing, my actually get it.
    when it comes down to the gameplay, the PS3 version features a tangible benefit in that the controls somehow feel less 'twitchy' than they do on Xbox 360 - which seems to be down more down to the controller than the code.
    interesting.

And the PC version
    Somewhat strange, however, is the situation with regards the use of water shaders in the game: they appear to be on a par with the PS3 game, lacking similar reflections and texture compared to the Xbox 360. There's no logical reason for inferior effects to be used, technically at least,
    that is strange

in terms of post-processing effects, motion blur appears to be identical on both formats, although depth-of-field is stronger on the PS3.
    Why do that? depth-of-field costs ya know?
    This title is a odd one :-/
    still there is no excuse for it
    Last edited by TGO; 08-19-2012 at 00:03.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Ultimate Veteran
    The PS3 version looks better. Especially when you compare the first two screens. It may not be as sharp but there's more stuff in the environment.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Played it on both consoles already, and definitely would get the 360 version.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    The PS3 version looks better. Especially when you compare the first two screens. It may not be as sharp but there's more stuff in the environment.
    I don't see more stuff. All you have to do is look at the bricks on the ground to the left of the character and see that the 360 version is a bit sharper visually.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Just a heads up for PC players out there- there is a known issue with using a gamepad on Sleeping Dogs. Although it will recognize it in the Start Menu (and even for pausing the game), it will quite often not interpret any signals from the controller. So you'll just be sitting there.

I got mine working (so I was finally able to play) but i didn't really do anything different to fix it lol. So it's all chance.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I don't see more stuff. All you have to do is look at the bricks on the ground to the left of the character and see that the 360 version is a bit sharper visually.
    I never said the Xbox 360 version wasn't sharper. But there's more lighting and actual puddles of water in the PS3 version when you compare both shots.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I never said the Xbox 360 version wasn't sharper. But there's more lighting and actual puddles of water in the PS3 version when you compare both shots.
    Yeah, the lighting effects on the PS3 are definitely better, but the colours are slightly washed out too.

I don't get why a lot of PS3 games are that way :/

Ultimate Veteran
    I just see a slightly higher black level for the Xbox 360 version, which is always convenient if you want to hide some low-res textures. That's one thing that bugs me about current-gen titles though is that you can't really appreciate the visuals if there's not as much to see.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Df said the PS3 version strangely has a higher level of depth of field
    Probably explains that, and its using a a higher AA amount plus the fact that its been scaled
    Seriously some of their choice in the PS3 version was just wasting resources, it truly is odd

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Finally somebody who has actually played it and both versions. 360 version it is then.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 08-19-2012 at 22:01.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Finally somebody who has actually played it and both versions. 360 version it is then.
    I've played it on both consoles and the PS3 version was better. Sharper textures and much better lighting.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    I've played it on both consoles and the PS3 version was better. Sharper textures and much better lighting.
    You actually have it backwards, partially.

Soldier 95B
    Thanks FEAR. Gonna get the 360 version then too.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    The article in the OP backs up my opinion.

Dedicated Member
    I'm gonna get this as soon as I've gotten rid of some exams, then I'll take a week of to play it. Looks awsome it'll be 360 version for me, it just looks sharper then the PS3 version.

Skickat från min R800i via Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by MGSfan; 09-12-2012 at 07:23.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    lol Like F34R said, you've got that backwards.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    The article in the OP backs up my opinion.
    Yep I took your advice and got the 360 version and I'm glad I did after renting the PS3 version.

Thread Information