Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Friendship is Carrots
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The game definitely looks amazing. It and Watch Dogs stole the show at E3, I'd say. Naughty Dog really knows how to push the PS3's hardware.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    In that Tretton interview, he talked about being in that peak era where the learning curve of the tech has been reached and now is the time where PlayStation gamers will reap the rewards more. It's true, TLOU and Beyond are the proof. TLOU graphics are more than good enough for me for the time being.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    That demonstration looks very scripted, how can it be that contextual? Impressive if it is, but that's A LOT of work. I have no doubt the game will be great though.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Ultimate Veteran
    Moved thread to Sony E3 section.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    That demonstration looks very scripted, how can it be that contextual? Impressive if it is, but that's A LOT of work. I have no doubt the game will be great though.
    The player could have gone through that hotel area without detection, he could have used a stealthier method of dispatching the looters. As for the contextual nature, we saw a hint of it in Uncharted 3, also, it's Naughty Dog. They know how to accomplish seemingly impossible feats on the PS3. Their philosophy of setting nearly unreachable goals in development then figuring out how to do them has made them grow.

Friendship is Carrots
    There's no way the animations and enemy pathing will be that smooth and convenient in the final game, so people shouldn't hype themselves up for that. I do expect there to be some excellent bending and great contextual attacks though.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Editor & Moderator
    PSN ID
    SchaffinOSX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    ND said that the combat we saw is gameplay. Ellie will pick up near by bricks and bottles if in combat and will try to sneakily flank the enemy and use the bottle/brick if possible to help Joel. You can't control her, she acts on her own, it's just upto you if you take advantage of her help I guess. The combat was gameplay and has to do with the way the game engine takes note of the surroundings to give contextual combat.
    After thinking about it more, it isn't a big deal, really. I didn't think of it the way you did, as a matter of taking advantage of what Ellie does or not. In a sense this makes it ten times more realistic; in real life, you don't have time to communicate plans, and if your teammate decides to make a move, you have to react immediately in whichever way you choose.

Re-stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Hope this game is 15 hours ish long, I'd sacrifice multiplayer for length any day.
    Agreed. This is one of those games that I'm fixated on the single player aspect. It doesn't need any type of multiplayer.
    Read my work on Medium, my blog, and connect with me on Twitter.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by SchaffinOSX View Post
    After thinking about it more, it isn't a big deal, really. I didn't think of it the way you did, as a matter of taking advantage of what Ellie does or not. In a sense this makes it ten times more realistic; in real life, you don't have time to communicate plans, and if your teammate decides to make a move, you have to react immediately in whichever way you choose.

Re-stoked.
    When you think about it, it's REALLY dynamic. The guy playing missed a few shots and wasted bullets. Had he not, then the guy who got his face smashed into the desk wouldn't have said "I know that sound" and come on out as Joel would have probably dispatched him with a bullet or two. Also,Ellie picks that brick up from another room lol. This is why I think the game will have nice replay value (at least for me) cause it will play out differently each time depending on the way you take, your approach and what weapons you have on hand.

Infact, the more I watch the demo, the more I see the countless variations in how the scene could have played out. Had the molotov killed both men then Joel wouldn't have the shotty when the guy comes at him with the 2by4...lol It's really cool just how unscripted the game is.
    Last edited by Ghost; 06-05-2012 at 23:10.

9. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    The game looked good but nothing like that first trailer that was shown. Also i didn't see a lot of button sequences in that video which leads me to believe that you don't have much control over the character during those fight scenes...but this is only a small amount of gameplay and could be much better.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    The game looked good but nothing like that first trailer that was shown. Also i didn't see a lot of button sequences in that video which leads me to believe that you don't have much control over the character during those fight scenes...but this is only a small amount of gameplay and could be much better.
    Really? The first trailer was a cut scene that hinted at elements of gameplay and reflected elements seen in this gameplay trailer as far as I can see. Ellie runs upstairs to see Joel smashing some guy with a 2by4 (not unlike the way he beats the guy with the shotty in the E3 vid). Ellie had her knife out ready to assist Joel but doesn't need to until the mutants come in, where she stabs it in the back (like she did in the E3 gameplay trailer). How is it not like the original trailer?

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Really? The first trailer was a cut scene that hinted at elements of gameplay and reflected elements seen in this gameplay trailer as far as I can see. Ellie runs upstairs to see Joel smashing some guy with a 2by4 (not unlike the way he beats the guy with the shotty in the E3 vid). Ellie had her knife out ready to assist Joel but doesn't need to until the mutants come in, where she stabs it in the back (like she did in the E3 gameplay trailer). How is it not like the original trailer?
    I was talking graphics. There is far less detail than i thought. Also, the video looked like you din't have a lot of control over the character during the fight scenes.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    The player could have gone through that hotel area without detection, he could have used a stealthier method of dispatching the looters. As for the contextual nature, we saw a hint of it in Uncharted 3, also, it's Naughty Dog. They know how to accomplish seemingly impossible feats on the PS3. Their philosophy of setting nearly unreachable goals in development then figuring out how to do them has made them grow.
    I'm not doubting the freedom of gameplay. It's the contextual stuff during the last minute. It can't be the only seamlessly scripted part in that level. That requires a lot of mo-cap.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I was talking graphics. There is far less detail than i thought. Also, the video looked like you din't have a lot of control over the character during the fight scenes.
    Ahh, Ok. Well...one was a pre rendered cut scene using in game assets, the other was gameplay...There are going to be differences. I think the E3 vid looks times better than the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    I'm not doubting the freedom of gameplay. It's the contextual stuff during the last minute. It can't be the only seamlessly scripted part in that level. That requires a lot of mo-cap.
    Yeah, it would, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the road they take. Well, we will have to wait for more details. A lot remains unknown.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    There's no way the animations and enemy pathing will be that smooth and convenient in the final game, so people shouldn't hype themselves up for that. I do expect there to be some excellent bending and great contextual attacks though.
    I hope it is, because thats what wowed me. I've never seen an interactive fight like that before.
    If it isnt like that then fail, because thats what the game has over every other game out there at this point.
    Last edited by mynd; 06-06-2012 at 00:15.

Dedicated Member
    People always got some negative crap to say about something that looks great.How the hell would the final game not play exactly as it did in the demo which was the actual game? People $#@!ed about them only showing a tech demo when it was first revealed and then when they show gameplay people $#@! even more it being scripted (whatever hell that means when you obviously control every thing the character does) even though Naughty Dog delivered once again proving the critics wrong. I am convinced that most of you don't like any thing outside of COD or GTA which are both overrated.The game will obviously not be perfect,but there is nothing to complain about.

Dedicated Member
    It looks just like the trailer and plays as smooth as the trailer look,but as usual people are nitpicking when the game is one of the best offerings this generation lol.

18. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
    People always got some negative crap to say about something that looks great.How the hell would the final game not play exactly as it did in the demo which was the actual game? People $#@!ed about them only showing a tech demo when it was first revealed and then when they show gameplay people $#@! even more it being scripted (whatever hell that means when you obviously control every thing the character does) even though Naughty Dog delivered once again proving the critics wrong. I am convinced that most of you don't like any thing outside of COD or GTA which are both overrated.The game will obviously not be perfect,but there is nothing to complain about.
    Well, firstly, you admit that you don't understand what anyone means by an event being scripted. The convenience of the battle and how all of the enemies, along with the girl, acted is really obvious at times. This is an easy thing to set up when the game has been played beforehand and then showed off to the crowd after being recorded because Naughty can guide what happens. Don't get upset just because people have realistic expectations in mind for a video game.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    Why are people doubting this game so much. You all play Uncharted or what? 3 definitely showed their ground work for contextual combat. This is the next step for that.

Friendship is Carrots
    Uncharted 3's combat wasn't anywhere near that smooth. Not even close.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    Think you're being a little bit cynical. I mean sure Uncharted 3 is rough compared to this, but still within the process. Keep in mind this game was running in the background of Uncharted 3 development so not only has this game been given as much time as U3 already but everything they learned and updating engines all into this.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    If that wasn't scripted....HOLY $#@!!!!

If it was, meh.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon7 View Post
    Think you're being a little bit cynical. I mean sure Uncharted 3 is rough compared to this, but still within the process. Keep in mind this game was running in the background of Uncharted 3 development so not only has this game been given as much time as U3 already but everything they learned and updating engines all into this.
    That's great, but the final game still won't have combat that smooth or convenient.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by gangsta_795 View Post
    If that wasn't scripted....HOLY $#@!!!!

If it was, meh.
    I can't see how it was scripted. Joel always had many different options as to which room he could go in. Many things that happened in that demo were a direct result of his actions. As I stated earlier, the guy who gets his face smashed into the desk only came out of cover because he heard Joel's empty gun, which was a result of his $#@!ty aiming beforehand. He is only able to blow the guys head off at the end because his molotov didn't kill both the looters at the end, else the shotty would have been outside the room where he headshots the dude. To me it just seems that the layout of the level and many alternative paths to be taken alludes to this not being scripted. ND showed a closed demo of that hotel sequence done in a stealthier manner, they also said earlier that the enemy AI will react differently depending on what weapons you have on hand. having said all that, we know next to nothing about the control scheme so I can't really say anything about the combat, but in terms of the encounters and how they play out, I believe it is totally a case of action and consquence.

26. Likes iplayonlysony likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    I can't see how it was scripted. Joel always had many different options as to which room he could go in. Many things that happened in that demo were a direct result of his actions. As I stated earlier, the guy who gets his face smashed into the desk only came out of cover because he heard Joel's empty gun, which was a result of his $#@!ty aiming beforehand. He is only able to blow the guys head off at the end because his molotov didn't kill both the looters at the end, else the shotty would have been outside the room where he headshots the dude. To me it just seems that the layout of the level and many alternative paths to be taken alludes to this not being scripted. ND showed a closed demo of that hotel sequence done in a stealthier manner, they also said earlier that the enemy AI will react differently depending on what weapons you have on hand. having said all that, we know next to nothing about the control scheme so I can't really say anything about the combat, but in terms of the encounters and how they play out, I believe it is totally a case of action and consquence.
    Let's hope it's the way you explained it.

Stuff like Joel telling the girl to stop talking when he hears some enemies and all...
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by gangsta_795 View Post
    Let's hope it's the way you explained it.

Stuff like Joel telling the girl to stop talking when he hears some enemies and all...
    Well it's all speculation for now. If this was totally linear, and if Joel only had one way to go through the hotel, It could only be scripted, but there were too many variables. Well, time will tell.

Thread Information