Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

The PS Vita dilemma: A case of short term memory

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    I’ll admit it; I’m a bit enamored with my PS Vita. I can’t tell you how many hours I’ve spent on the thing. In fact, I’ve spent more time on the PS Vita than on any other console this year. There is no shortage of great titles on the PS Vita. Add in a backlog of PSP games available for download, games that transfer generally well to the PS Vita (and at times improved with the system’s second analog stick), and you have a console with a wealth of content to explore.

But therein lies the problem: while there are many gameplay experiences to be had on the PS Vita, it’s stifled by its lack of substantial memory. With no on-board memory, you’ll need to purchase a separate memory card to play and download games. Most people won’t pay the $99 for the 32GB memory card and opt for one of the smaller, less expensive 4GB, 8GB, or 16GB memory card. It’s just not enough, especially with the memory requirements of some of the more robust Vita and PSP games. Buying additional memory cards just to have the ability to buy more games on PSN is incredibly cost prohibitive.

With so much PSN content to be enjoyed on the PS Vita, you’re forced into being incredibly frugal with your memory, picking only a few of your favorite games. Constantly transferring content back and forth between the Vita and the computer or PS3 to free up additional memory is a less than desirable experience. Even my cellphone has 16GB of on-board memory (not to mention the 16GB memory card it came with) that it hardly needs. It wasn’t until I purchased a discounted (I use that term very loosely) 32GB memory card that I began to really appreciate the Vita; having my favorite games just a few “touches” away without having to change out game cards makes on-the-go gaming seamless. Unfortunately, Sony has made it harder and more costly just to enjoy their library of games.

The PS Vita could take some advice from the PSP Go; it was a step in the right direction. Including 16GB of on-board memory and a Memory Stick Micro slot for up to 32GB of additional memory made it easy for gamers to download a decent amount of PSP titles out of the box and without having to worry about changing UMDs. It made the system much more portable, making it easier to play a variety of different games without having to carry a separate container. Unfortunately for the PSP Go, the price was a bit steep for another PSP and its missing UMD drive alienated those looking to upgrade (although in the PSP Go’s defense, that wasn’t really their market). However, the concept was sound and should have been carried over to the PS Vita.

A better idea for the PS Vita? Drop the WI-Fi/3G version altogether and instead, offer only the WI-Fi system at $299 with at least 16GB (preferably 32GB) of on board memory with the expandable, proprietary memory slot. More memory, more potential for game and media purchases through PSN. Plus, the 3G is unnecessary. You can’t adequately stream Netflix or play games online on 3G, nor would anyone want to with the exorbitant monthly data costs. Plus, the ubiquity of free Wi-Fi diminishes the value of this function.

I would even go as far as removing the game disc slot altogether and offer no games at retail locations, making the PS Vita a download only console. No more physical manufacturing and distribution costs and part of the savings can be passed on to the consumers in less expensive downloadable titles or cheaper proprietary memory cards. Hell, the PS Vita games bought at retail include just the game disc with no instruction manual so any charm of purchasing a physical copy is lost.

If Sony scratched our collective backs with some on-board memory, maybe we’d be more apt to purchase their ridiculously priced memory cards, but making this separate memory card purchase a requirement out of the box is just mean. Sony must have forgotten, but they had the right idea with the PSP Go, offering a platform with on-board memory to push their online store. While the PS Vita as a whole takes a few evolutionary steps forward with its second analog stick and touch controls, it takes a step back with its lack of any on-board memory. Maybe Sony will learn from this omission and offer, in the future, a version of the Vita with the much needed additional memory. Hopefully this is the case, as there is wealth of content for the PS Vita on PSN that shouldn’t be ignored.
    You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I think the writer needs to stop whinging and buy another memory card.
    I picked up the 16gb one at launch because I knew how much digital games take up.

PS4 has little to no competition.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    I think the writer needs to stop whinging and buy another memory card. I picked up the 16gb one at launch because I knew how much digital games take up.
    Doesnt change the fact these memory cards are ridiculously overpriced. I agree with the writer.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Doesnt change the fact these memory cards are ridiculously overpriced. I agree with the writer.
    True, but it can be solved if Sony take a bit more of a cut and sell bigger memory cards, cheaper.

I think the article saying the Vita should go DD only is stupid... why not just buy the physical copy and save the room. As for PSN games, just delete and redownload. Or keep the file on the PS3 and transfer them to and fro. Its not like anyone plays more than a couple of those at once.

I don't see the fuss

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

***** dweller
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    I've been hearing that 32GB cards are slower then the smaller ones. I do agree that memory cards for the Vita are stupidly costly. Sony literally inflated pricing to make guaranteed profits off the thing.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    I agree they need to get 3rd party production on the road

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    True, but it can be solved if Sony take a bit more of a cut and sell bigger memory cards, cheaper. I think the article saying the Vita should go DD only is stupid... why not just buy the physical copy and save the room. As for PSN games, just delete and redownload. Or keep the file on the PS3 and transfer them to and fro. Its not like anyone plays more than a couple of those at once. I don't see the fuss
    You dont see the fuss with Sony forcing us to buy grossly overpriced proprietary memory cards just so they can ensure a profit? You must have alot of disposable income. lol And will Sony sell bigger cheaper cards anytime soon? I doubt it. Secondly the expensive cards make it kind of costly to really take advantage of cross buy because you can only get the digital Vita game. And transferring to and fro or deleting and redownloading would get old fast. I do however also disagree that Vita should go DD only. Sony already tried that with the Go and we all know how that turned out.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 08-20-2012 at 22:04.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    I agree they need to get 3rd party production on the road Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2
    I'm with you there. Heres to hoping that happens soon.

Thread Information