Latest PSU headlines:

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

How often do you buy a new computer or upgrade your pc?

After 2 years, your laptop or computer is considered out of date. How often do you buy a new laptop or desktop or upgrade your computer?

I buy a new laptop every 4 years. 4 years is usually when things start tearing up. Before this Asus, I had a HP. I'll probably finish college before I get another laptop.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Every couple years with my Macs and several times a year upgrading my gaming PC.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    I'd say 4~5 yrs.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    If you play video games on your PC it would need to be quite frequent, since I dont my 1.8ghz dual core does most everything.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    About every 4 years. Had my Dell Studio since 2008 and got this new laptop for my birthday just over a month ago.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    After 2 years, your laptop or computer is considered out of date. How often do you buy a new laptop or desktop or upgrade your computer?

I buy a new laptop every 4 years. 4 years is usually when things start tearing up. Before this Asus, I had a HP. I'll probably finish college before I get another laptop.
    I have a five year old laptop and the only upgrade it has had was the CPU. It went from 1.8ghz to 2.5ghz (dual core of course in both respects). My PC has been given a few upgrades over the past 10 years. A new CPU, some more ram, two video card upgrades, and a PSU replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    If you play video games on your PC it would need to be quite frequent, since I dont my 1.8ghz dual core does most everything.
    Definitely doesn't need to be quite frequent.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Whats a PC...LOL ive had my laptop for years since college and it works great and is still fast i keep my ish TIGHT SON!!

However i am looking to buy a new pc for my spare room i need to get my office together at my house

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Definitely doesn't need to be quite frequent.
    It does if you want bragging rights.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Sage

I'll bought a gaming laptop this year (M14X in January) I'll wait another ~ 2 years before i get another one. I've had my desktop for 2 and a half years now, i'm looking to be able upgrade the bulk of my PC (GPU, CPU, Motherboard, Ram and a new PSU) over the next few months hopefully.

Since having this PC i bought a second GPU about a year after having it.
    Last edited by BBK..; 08-21-2012 at 11:31.

Dedicated Member
    Memphis, TN (Home of STAX records, Sun Studios, Beale Street, Graceland, Hi Records, Ardent Studios
    I don't have a set schedule. Usually a few years, but it really just depends on whether I need/want the newest features.

Superior Member
    When I was young I used to waste a lot of money trying to build the "perfect" PC. Now I'm a bit older/wiser I just buy what I need. I recently upgraded my 4 year old Vaio with a Lenovo & 24" lcd monitor for 480, that should last me for the next 3-4 years.

It helps that my habbits have changed too, I only need a PC for MS Office & general internet/video so don't need a powerful machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    LAptops I have no idea I dotn need one.

Desktop I upgrade components pretty much every 2 years CPU RAM GPU at a cost of aroun 200-300 per time. I dotn always upgrade everything at once tis in stages. LAst tiem I just did the CPU RAM motherboard. which cost 200.

It was never going to beat Intel system but its better than my previous dual core system.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-27-2012 at 19:56.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Only ever bought one pc and that was my alienware...upgraded the ram from 2 to 8gig and added some water cooling $#@! and thats it...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Master Guru
    Well I had a MacBook from 2009 to 2011 then decided to sell it since I really didn't need a laptop and got the new Mac mini. Only thing I've done with that is add 8GB of ram and I may add a SSD when they get cheaper. Other then that I'll be keeping this Mac for a good 4 to 5 years.
    Mac Mini 2.3GHz i5, 500GB HD, 8GB Ram; 16GB iPhone 5; 16GB iPad mini

Super Elite
    At least 3 years and no more than 5 years. My current computer was built in 2008, hopefully upgrading next year with the new haswell chip and maybe ddr4?

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    My PC is 5 years old. Still runs great. Upgraded and overclocked to hell though.

I'll switch to an iMac as soon as the new ones come out. My PC building days are over and I'm opting out.

TA-pa-TA-pa-taPAtalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Forum Guru
    Built my own some years ago and have been upgrading it couple of times.
    I do tend to keep changes as minimal as possible and keep same CPU/memories etc. (bought some cheap additional memory, changed GPU and got SSD drive as main drive.)

Current machine is nice for games and any work I throw at it, so there really isn't need to change parts until Maxwell hits the markets. (2014)
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    Built my own some years ago and have been upgrading it couple of times.
    I do tend to keep changes as minimal as possible and keep same CPU/memories etc. (bought some cheap additional memory, changed GPU and got SSD drive as main drive.)

Current machine is nice for games and any work I throw at it, so there really isn't need to change parts until Maxwell hits the markets. (2014)
    I'll be building a new rig when Haswell gets here soon... probably a Hackintosh. My workflow can't live without OS X, but I can certainly live without Apple's utter lack of upgradeability.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I guess every 2-3 years. If i had money i would buy a new one every year. My previous computer was a 2008 iMac and my current one is an Alienware X51.

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    5yr cycles on PC builds

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Every 6 months.

When it comes to computers, i tend to change parts every now and then or even completely build a new system all together.

Dedicated Member

I used to do at least one upgrade every 6 months or so. There was a time where that was necessary to maintain a gaming PC that could play all of the new games with respectable performance.

Times have changed though, and I've found that such frequent upgrades are no longer necessary. I'm still running my 2 year old Intel i5 @ 3.8GHZ and have yet to find a single game that makes me wish the system was faster. I did change the video card from an HD 6970 to an HD 7870, but that was because one of the fans on the 6970 quit working and I didn't want to go without my PC while I was waiting for the warranty repair to be done.

I have yet to find a game that I cannot play at the maximum resolution of my monitor with all graphics settings on max detail, so I see no reason to upgrade it anymore for quite some time.

Thread Information