PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X

PSU: Your input is needed - Kingdom Hearts III story analysis

Hey folks,

So, earlier this morning, I reported on the PSU.com homepage about the impending release of Kingdom Hearts III, based on extremely obvious hints that Square Enix placed at the end of the latest installment, Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance.

I also hinted that PSU.com would be offering a full-scale story analysis, covering what has been revealed in Dream Drop Distance, and everything we know about the plot of Kingdom Hearts III.

I'm a big KH junkie, so I want to do the series justice and make sure that this story analysis/speculation takes a form that our community can be proud of. So, I'm asking for your input and feedback on the following questions:

1) Are you interested in a story refresher of EVERY Kingdom Hearts game, or only the portable entries?

2) Should plots be covered in order of release, or chronologically?

3) Are you only interested in the plot of Dream Drop Distance, and what it tells us about Kingdom Hearts 3? (no series recap needed)

4) Are you interested or do you have any ideas for how to best relay this information? Character maps? Visual timeline? How to arrange sections? I'll take anything here.

5) Is the following website - kingdomhearts.wikia.com - a source that you'd be comfortable with myself referencing where needed?

Thanks! Please post your responses, and other suggestions for this feature, in this thread.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Eversince 3D was released in Japan I had the opportunity to watch the ending a couple weeks afterwards. It was really obvious from what I had seen from the storyline progression although that analysis didn't see it anywhere until now. I definitely agree with you and who knows, maybe a collection of KH1 & KH2 with BBS.

Elite Member
    Items BowserDoom
    IMO, you should do it in chronological order, but for the Portable Entries only cover things which seem important or that you think may come into play on KH3.
    Thou shall not question my lame sig
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Id like to see you cover ALL of the games, it would be awesome to read a really good recap. As far as I know that KH website is pretty decent, but the flashback notes - or whatever they are called in KH:3D that refer to the previous games and give a brief rundown of the plot are pretty decent. If you use those as a base and expand upon them and put them in chronological order the job may be a bit easier for you.

Some kind of visual companion would be good, timeline/ images of the characters, but I don't mind reading lots of text.

Also, if you DO end up doing it on all of the spinoffs, maybe do a small paragraph or tldr version of those games too, lol

Via Tapatalk
    Last edited by DarkVincent07; 08-21-2012 at 23:59.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    If you have time to kill. Please explain the connections with portable games and the actual titles.

PSU Editor-in-chief
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X
    Thanks for the input so far.

Here's what I'm thinking: Decent-length overviews of the plots of each game, in chronological order. Things of great importance will be explored in greater depth, or bolded, etc. This includes portable entries. The chronological order would be:

Birth by Sleep
    KH1
    358/2 Days
    Chain of Memories
    KH2
    Coded
    Dream Drop Distance

The portable installments that are MOST important to the series mythos (things to do with Xehanort, the main heroes, the Organization, etc.) are Birth by Sleep and Dream Drop Distance. I'll pay greater attention to those, and the greatest attention to Dream Drop Distance, which quite literally sets the stage for 3.

At the end of each game's section, if appropriate, I'll add a bulletpoint list of things about the game that we thought were a certain way, but games that came out later corrected us and made us see things differently. For example, why is Roxas (from 2) blonde and looks the way he does? We find out why in Birth by Sleep, so I would add something at the end of 2's section like:

- Roxas' appearance and mannerisms are actually a reflection of [redacted redacted redacted] (Birth by Sleep)

At the beginning of Chain of Memories, Re: Coded, BBS, and 358/2 Days' sections, I will have a small list of main points about how each is important to the running chronology. I won't do this for Dream Drop Distance because it's a true full-scale sequel to 2 and should probably be treated as such.d

I'm not sure about graphic stuff... I'm really not good with digital artistry and I'm worried that embarking on adding such things would delay the publish by a good bit.

Thoughts?

7. Likes Thorzilla likes this post
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sounds really awesome so far.

I suppose any visual aid wouldn't be too necessary, I'm not actually sure of what would be handy as the text is all that is really important here.

If there is anything in particular that you would want though, PM me and I'll be more than happy to see if I'm capable of it (currently studying photoshop and the likes could use some practice haha)

Thread Information