Apprentice

Question as a HUGE MGS fan....

Hello, all. I am a HUUUUGE MGS fan and so much so that I torture myself into playing the series of released games only about once every 2-3 years, lol! I just thinks it keeps it fresh.

Anyway, so I finally buy the HD collection on disk literally 4 days ago and have yet to open it as I figure I would give MGS a chronological playthrough in HD glory (minus 1, of course but I will still play it as a PS1 title as I did 2 years ago and it is still the best game ever made, lol).

My question is this: Since I am yet to open the packaging on my HD collection disk and PSN is now releasing them on PSN to play off of your HDD, would I be better off getting a refund on the disk and buying them online for performance issues? I ask because I heard the HD collections do suffer from some minor flaws such as slower loading of codec scenes and scenes in general compared to their PS2/PSP counterparts. Also, heard there is slight frame rate issues but that could be rumor I never checked up on!?! Oh, also the issue with no $#@!roaches showing up in MGS2, etc.

So, if anyone has any first hand experience, should I go disk based or PSN digitial HDD based purely on performance and such? I'd hate to crack open the disk and find out that it runs better directly off of the HDD, etc.

Thanks.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I'd just keep the disc. If you are a huge MGS fan then having the physical copy is best imo. I haven't experienced any technical issues IIRC.

3. Likes DarkVincent07, chumdiddy, Lebowski likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    I have the HD collection on disk. I have never heard of such issues and haven't experienced them. Haven't played 3 yet, like you I take my time in playing them. MGS2 HD looks so good though. I haven't experienced many of the PS3 HD collections, but this one is top notch.

As for returning it and downloading, up to you. If this hinges on performance issues, then there's no reason unless you'd rather play them off HDD. Personally, I like the box art and having a physical collection.

5. Likes chumdiddy likes this post
    Apprentice
    Thank for replies, all.

I also prefer to own a physical copy but I am such a MGS fan that if the digital copy held performance advantages I would rather play those. Just wondering is anyone has played both and noticed any differences.

Also, thanks for the details on the disk copies. I have heard everything from stuttering frame rates in 2 & 3 to the codec scenes loading a whole 100% slower than their PS2 counterparts, often seeming as if the game froze. Also, as noted, some textures outright missing such as the $#@!roaches before vamp.

If those were rumors/lies, I would be very happy! haha. Thx for any and all replies/help/details.

Soldier 95B
    For me personally, I would go with the PSN digital version for performance and convenience reasons. However, I don't know the pricing of the digital version. Normally the digital version it out of whack more expensive. You may not find it worth paying more for.

8. Likes chumdiddy likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The digital versions are 14.99 each. So, if you buy just two, it's $30, but if you want all three it will be $45 and a tiny bit more expensive than the disk. I would go with the disk because if your HDD for any reason decides to die on you or your ps3 does, then you have nothing to play..And you can always take a physical copy to your friends and play it there.

10. Likes chumdiddy likes this post
    Apprentice
    Thanks again for the extra replies.

Soldier, are you saying there is a confirmed performance advantage playing the digital versions off of the HDD or is this just an assumption (one I also have)?

Also, as stated by DDD, the total prices will be $5 more than what the disk cost. However, again, if it avoids performance issues and/or increases performance I would happily spend the extra $5.

Im just a giant MGS nerd, lol. I just want the best experience while playing in true HD. Last I played the series was on the PS2 collections disks on my 60GB PS3. So, it was res'd up to fit my HDTV specs but was obviously still running in 480p. I can't wait to dive into a true 720/1080p version of these games and just want the best running versions, be they disk or digital.

Finally, I do prefer physical copies for the exact reason DDD mentioned. I really do. I just like having them and it's only smart. Yet, for my favorite series, I'd go digital if it means a better experience through performance.

Thanks again, all!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I'd just keep the disc. If you are a huge MGS fan then having the physical copy is best imo. I haven't experienced any technical issues IIRC.
    This! I mean if you're a hardcore fan you gotta keep the physical copies :P

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    This! I mean if you're a hardcore fan you gotta keep the physical copies :P

Alright, you guys talked me into it......LMAO

For future readers: If you do notice a performance increase in the digital versions, please post it here as I would probably buy them again just for that, haha.

Thank all for reading and replies.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Marcgear
    Items PlayStation
    Ive got disc my bro got digital played both cant see any difference in terms of framerate and such.
    New member of the PS4 club

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by marcsony View Post
    Ive got disc my bro got digital played both cant see any difference in terms of framerate and such.
    Thanks for the info! I'll definitely just stick to disk then.

Master Poster
    Keep the disc, if anything the game will appreciate in value
    Thank You Shaq...For Everything

I'm a hater, a traito.
    What? These are on the store?! Is it just the american store?

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    solid1snake67
    always play MGS on a disc, i think it would be weird to play on psn game and wouldnt it take forever just to download that collection. you already bought it , just play the game!! i also hope in near future kojima san will remake MGS1!!

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryAim View Post
    Keep the disc, if anything the game will appreciate in value
    Sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by irish-sid View Post
    What? These are on the store?! Is it just the american store?
    American at first but on all now, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by 1solidsnake View Post
    always play MGS on a disc, i think it would be weird to play on psn game and wouldnt it take forever just to download that collection. you already bought it , just play the game!! i also hope in near future kojima san will remake MGS1!!
    Well, my issue was performance as I am a GIANT MGS nerd, lol. If playing off a HDD would avoid even the slightest hiccup or speed up load times I would want that but I had heard rumors that the collection itself (when only on disc at first release) had some pretty major bugs. So, it was a dual worry. I'm going to just keep the discs and play off of them but I have not started yet. Im going to play them all, in order, with NO OTHER GAMES being played until I'm done. This will take a while. That is how serious and how rarely I play MGS because of my love for it and not wanting to stale the experience, haha.
    I, too, hope we get a LEGIT MGS1 remake. I'm talking a remake using the MGS4 or Fox Engine! To this day, MGS1 is my favorite game of all time and can play it now like I did when it came out and have just as much fun, dated visuals or not. (in fact, I find with smoothing on the game holds up better than almost any 3D PS1 title ever made. Very playable and not at all distracting or choppy)

Thanks for all replies and potential future replies.

Veteran
    Well you have to play Portable Ops on a handheld, so I figured codec load times would be the least of your worries.

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Bio View Post
    Well you have to play Portable Ops on a handheld, so I figured codec load times would be the least of your worries.
    LOL, true. Yet, on a console I found it strange that some were/are saying the codec load times are as much as 3 times as long as their last gen and handheld counterparts. It would kind of bug me if I got buzzed in or I did and had this odd 10 second (how long I read someone say it was in MGS2 HD) pause all the time, ya know.

Thread Information