Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Apple Awarded $1.049 Billion In Damages by Samsung

The jury in the landmark Apple-Samsung trial ruled mostly in favor of Apple, including awarding Apple $1,049,343,540 in damages. Samsung, on the other hand, was granted a total of $0 in damages.

Here’s a quick rundown of how the jury came down on both of the companies. Remember, there are plenty of devices at play here — on Samsung’s side alone, there’s the Captivate, Continuum, Droid Charge, Epic 4G, Fascinate, Galaxy Ace, Galaxy Prevail, Galaxy S, Exhibit, Infuse 4G, Mesmerize, Nexus S 4G, Gem, Galaxy Tab, Galaxy Tab 10.1, Replenish, Vibrant, plus every carrier’s version of the Galaxy S II.

• The jury found no infringement by Apple on any of Samsung’s utility patents.
    • The jury found that Samsung infringed on patents for ’381 “bounce back” scrolling functionality on all devices.
    • On the ’915 patent, relating to one finger to scroll, two to pinch and zoom navigation, all but three Samsung devices (Ace, Intercept and Replenish) infringed.
    • For Apple’s ’163 patent (tap to zoom) all Samsung devices except Captivate, Indulge, Intercept, Nexus S 4G, Transform and Vibrant infringed.

The jury then answered a question about inducement, regarding whether Samsung made its U.S. arms infringe: yes for the ’381 “bounce back” patent on all devices, yes for ’915 “one finger scrolling” for all devices except Replenish and yes for ’163 “tap to zoom” for all except Captivate, Continuum, Gem, Indulge, Nexus S 4G.
    One of the biggest questions answered by the jury was if Samsung was willful in its infringement, which is where the major damages came into play. The largest damages came from the prepaid Galaxy Prevail (over $57 million).
    The jury originally awarded Apple $1,051,855,000 in damages, but Judge Koh sent the jurors back to deliberate over two discrepancies that resulted in Apple being awarded $2.20 million in damages. Apple argued that based on the nuanced language of the jurors’ instructions, both decisions should be allowed to stand. The jurors overturned their previous “yes” answer to question 4 regarding the 915 patent and the Intercept device. The changed ruling for two devices saves Samsung $2.2 million in damages.
    The dense trial involved more than a dozen different patents, over 30 allegedly infringing devices and wide-ranging claims on design ownership; both sides argued their cases and defended themselves concurrently, all while enraging federal judge Lucy Koh.
    Apple began with a full-fledged assault, hurling numerous trademark claims, design and technical patent claims and more; after judge Koh ordered Apple to pare it down, the company has focused on a few key patents, the simplicity of its design and working to prove a pattern of copying by Samsung. Apple’s total monetary demand was $2.525 billion.
    Meanwhile, Samsung claimed that Apple’s iPhone and iPad were infringement and demanded $14.40 per device sold.
    The decision comes with large-ranging implications, as it sets precedent for future patent law cases and will inevitably bring more lawsuits. Apple is already locked in a legal battle with HTC and could go after others.
    The verdict came in shockingly quickly, as the jury was only in deliberation for three days. The jury worked one hour late yesterday and reached a decision at 2:35 PT today. Over 700 individual decisions had to be made by members of the jury, which does not come from particularly technical backgrounds, on their complex worksheets.
    It has been expected since the beginning of this trial that both companies would file appeals regardless of the verdict, so it would be shortsighted to assume that this is the end. Both companies are now discussing post-trial motions and arguing over how much time Samsung should be given to prepare.
    Here are the statements from both companies.
    First, Apple PR head Katie Cotton:
    We are grateful to the jury for their service and for investing the time to listen to our story and we were thrilled to be able to finally tell it. The mountain of evidence presented during the trail showed that Samsung’s copying went far deeper than even we knew. The lawsuits between Apple and Samsung were about much more than patents or money. They were about values. At Apple, we value originality and innovation and pour our lives into making the best products on earth. We make these products to delight our customers, not for our competitors to flagrantly copy. We applaud the court for finding Samsung’s behavior willful and for sending a loud and clear message that stealing isn’t right.
    Then, the Samsung PR team:
    “Today’s verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer. It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices. It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies. Consumers have the right to choices, and they know what they are buying when they purchase Samsung products. This is not the final word in this case or in battles being waged in courts and tribunals around the world, some of which have already rejected many of Apple’s claims. Samsung will continue to innovate and offer choices for the consumer.”

http://techcrunch.com/2012/08/24/app...6pLid%3D196998

Wow...I don't know what to say other than, I own two iPhones and they will be my last ones.

Long Live Samsung.

2. Likes 33x likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    I don't agree with this decision.

4. Likes Admartian , bash likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    http://techcrunch.com/2012/08/24/app...6pLid%3D196998

Wow...I don't know what to say other than, I own two iPhones and they will be my last ones.

Long Live Samsung.

I honestly could care less what goes on behind the scenes. I bought the iPhone because it is a quality phone. Everyone at Apple could kick kittens in the faces and I will still buy their products.

6. Likes F34R likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Yikes.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Apple is a cartel, just thought i would point that out
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

9. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Apprentice
    Galaxy S > iPhone
    “To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.”― Oscar Wilde

11. Likes Nitey , bash , Ghost , $Greatness$ , Omar, Vulgotha likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Nokia > Your toy smart phone.

Ill stick to my 7 day standby thanks.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

13. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    That's a big sum to pay out.

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    well that trial was obviously paid off by apple of course. ugh

just to add another note to this. Don't forget the fact that I think both Apple and samsung are nothing more then scum anyway. what we have here is scum winning over another scum company, nothing more. they both stink, they are both overpriced in terms of quality. I know the iphone, it's that crappy phone that breaks after you drop it from waist stomach high. yes, seen so many break by my friends just for dropping them waist high. crappy phones.
    Last edited by Bigdoggy; 08-25-2012 at 03:09.

16. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Those are some bull$#@! patents, what else are we supposed to do when usign touch screens?
    Please abide by the signature file size limit. Thanks. ~ Staff

PSU Technical Advisor
    What erks me is that they're saying the 'design' of the iPhone is somehow unique and special. Dude it's a rounded rectangle with a screen. A TOUCH screen. With one button.

There were other devices that predate the iPhone substantially that appeared similar in numerous ways.

19. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post

just to add another note to this. Don't forget the fact that I think both Apple and samsung are nothing more then scum anyway. what we have here is scum winning over another scum company, nothing more. they both stink, they are both overpriced in terms of quality. I know the iphone, it's that crappy phone that breaks after you drop it from waist stomach high. yes, seen so many break by my friends just for dropping them waist high. crappy phones.
    I have witnessed similar drops too, lol. On the other hand I've kicked my Nokia E71 and it still lives xD.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I honestly could care less what goes on behind the scenes. I bought the iPhone because it is a quality phone. Everyone at Apple could kick kittens in the faces and I will still buy their products.
    Usually I wouldn't care either but they're hurting the consumers...us. I can't stand for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigdoggy View Post

Maybe when it comes to phones (can't speak for or against because I don't know the phones in depth) but Samsung is the best company out there when it comes to consumer electronics...unless you consider every company out there scum.

I have a Samsung printer, monitor, TV, and another TV...and I didn't buy any of them starting with Samsung, I looked at all products and realized that Samsung had the best bang for the buck.

I think they're better than Sony.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Who cares? Everyone is suing everyone, including Samsung. That's the name of the patent game. I don't agree with it, but there's not much we can do about it. I'm not going to boycott any phone over a court hearing. I couldn't care less.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

Forum Sage
    Samsung did copy Apple. Their internal document shows as much: http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/102...lft8am5nw1qlpr

24. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    I don't like Apple either and I have my reasons but I can't say I'm surprised. I mean, they're only the most profitable company in the world.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Usually I wouldn't care either but they're hurting the consumers...us. I can't stand for that.
    Or they are forcing others to innovate, introduce new ideas instead of just using what they did. Apple sued Samsung.

They didn't sue HTC, Sony, and Google. Meaning, Samsung was sued because, Apple could prove they copied them.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    So lets make sure I am hearing everyone correctly. Apple sues Samsung, Apple wins the court battle and is awarded a $#@! ton of money. You guys are mad because Apple has a lot of money already and should have just let Samsung slide....... Samsung was clearly in the wrong as even the court system has found them guilty. Not sure why everyone is mad at Apple lol.

Damn you Apple for sticking it to your competition!

28. Likes Fijiandoce, F34R , sainraja likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Eh.. See, I find this ruling not favorable for competition in the slightest. When I was reviewing the case and reading the 'blow by blows' by Samsung\Apple, I came out of it feeling that Apple was trying to enforce a 'patent' that was nebulous at best. Samsung made some solid points about the whole iPhone concept in and of itself being unoriginal historically if you look at past devices.

All very 'iPhone' like in retrospect. But somehow Apple "invented this image all by itself and it was theirs". They certainly made it popular, but I'm not so sure the proof is on their side of the aisle when it comes to originality.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I'm taking ALL YOU $#@!ING $#@!ES to court. Your sigs are all rectangular and are a clear rip off of my sigs shape. If you want to settle out of court, 1,000 SP.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Ghost Rayne has a point.

And then there's this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_C...ft_Corporation

Suing Microsoft because they had the nerve of trying to use a GUI (Graphical User Interface). Even though Apple didn't invent the GUI.

This whole thing is bat$#@! insane. Samsung proved that there was technology out well before the iPhone that was exceedingly similar- yet somehow Apple gets a free pass to basically rip this off and run but if anybody draws inspiration (yea, I said it. Inspiration.) from their products.. Well then all hell is going to break lose.

This is absurd, pure and simple. I implore you to actually read up on the arguments and illustrations provided by each side Lethal.

I mean basically the reason Samsung lost was some internal memo or email where they specifically referenced the iPhone and aspects of it they wanted to incorporate into future designs.

Is this 'stealing'? Was apple 'stealing' from the guy who originally made the zoom and swoosh? Or the form factor for the iPhone?

Hell look at the automobile industry or the fashion industry and tell me with a straight face that they don't studiously analyze their competitions products to better their own.

It'd be one thing if Samsung like took the blueprints for the motherboard or something and literally made their own version with "samsung" plastered on it. But we're talking about $#@! like the shape of the phone and the arrangement of icons.

Aesthetic stuff.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 08-25-2012 at 05:48.

32. Likes Admartian , Metal King Slime likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Meh... I've liked my iPhone since ditching the Samsung Fascinate, AND when I had the S3.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Wow..I still intend on getting a 5 my upgrades soon..:/

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Ancient
    I have always preferred Apple to MS, but Ive never been a fan of there portable stuff, they'll like Nintendo, they release very successful innovative products that other companies did 2 years ago, thou in Nintendo case 6 years lol
    Thou you can't fault their software
    Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    lol i wasn't aware Samsung and Apple were the only two companies in the mobile phone space

personally, i rock this bad boy to make calls:

i should also add, Apple might be the most profitable business in the world, but they are by no means the largest. that title goes to Samsung.
    way to hate on the little guy! clearly we should all quiver at the sight of large corporations flexing their muscles.
    as seen above i dont swing toward either camp, but kinda glad apple won. Samsung tend to blatantly 'copy' other companies.

ps, i rocked the D900 for YEARS and is by far the most innovative thing, in recent memory, that samsung has done. i loved that phone!
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

37. Likes Admartian likes this post

Thread Information