Latest PSU headlines:

Page 12 of 954 FirstFirst ... 21222 ... LastLast
    Forum Guru
    Items User name style
    Yes thank you gamespawn that answered it.
    Vengeful is amazing<3

Apprentice

PSN ID
    GrangerFX
    One of my favorite features of the PS3 is backwards compatibility. PS2 games don't support motion sensing obviously so there is no benefit in that feature of the new controller. Will there be an adapter either from Sony or a third party to allow me to use my Dual Shock on the PS3 for the PS2 games that need it? If not, why not?

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by grangerfx View Post
    One of my favorite features of the PS3 is backwards compatibility. PS2 games don't support motion sensing obviously so there is no benefit in that feature of the new controller. Will there be an adapter either from Sony or a third party to allow me to use my Dual Shock on the PS3 for the PS2 games that need it? If not, why not?
    Why not? Um... Dual Shock 2 is rather obsolete, if anything, SIXAXIS should be used to play PS2 games. Why?

Because tilt actually works for PS2 games, namely all of the Ace Combatory games. How I know this? I read a issue of PSM... or was it OPM a couple of months ago and they bought this PS1 controller with a crude tilt function in it and tried it out for PS2 Ace combat games and a couple of first person shooters, and it actually worked for all of them since tilt was recognized as a third analgue stick or something like that.

As you can expect, it was fun for flight games, but without the precision and sophistication of the SIXAXIS, they couldn't do much with tilt in FPSs. SO basically, you can use tilt to play PS2 games... and PS1 games.
    "and I mean If he doesn't like you after he sees this, then you're just gonna have to go back home and put some more make up on."

Master Guru
    There are PS2 to USB adaptors out there already, but it is unknown whether or not the PS3 will recognize PS2 controllers.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    GrangerFX
    If I want tilt, I will use the Six Axis. What I want is the rumble! That is the only reason I would want to connect the PS2 Dual Shock controller to the PS3. Some PS2 games pretty much require it and a lot of PS2 and PS3 games are going to suck without it.

I did some quick searching and found a PS2 to USB adapter:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...3833&PHPSESSID

Is there any reason you can think of why this should not work on the PS3 other than Sony refusing to implement it in software? If the PS3 is really a computer, can't a third party write a driver for a device like this?

Elite Guru
    If I want tilt, I will use the Six Axis. What I want is the rumble! That is the only reason I would want to connect the PS2 Dual Shock controller to the PS3. Some PS2 games pretty much require it and a lot of PS2 and PS3 games are going to suck without it.

Is there any reason you can think of why this should not work on the PS3 other than Sony refusing to implement it in software? If the PS3 is really a comuter, can't a third party write a driver for a device like this?
    Sony will never refuse to implement their own product, so in that sense, yes, you will be able to use Dualshock 2. But I don't think there will be rumble.
    "and I mean If he doesn't like you after he sees this, then you're just gonna have to go back home and put some more make up on."

Apprentice

PSN ID
    GrangerFX
    Rumble is already implemented in the PS2. The PS3 has the full PS2 hardware inside it. Why then can't the PS2 games that have force feedback that are played on the PS3 send that information to a connected PS2 controller?

I am a pretty good programmer myself. I am sure I can give Sony a few hints if they are unsure how to implement this simple feature. PS3 is also a computer (according to Sony.) I should therefor be able to implement that fix myself if I want to right? Or is the truth not being told here?

Elite Guru
    Rumble is already implemented in the PS2. The PS3 has the full PS2 hardware inside it. Why then can't the PS2 games that have force feedback that are played on the PS3 send that information to a connected PS2 controller?

I am a pretty good programmer myself. I am sure I can give Sony a few hints if they are unsure how to implement this simple feature. PS3 is also a computer (according to Sony.) I should therefor be able to implement that fix myself if I want to right? Or is the truth not being told here?
    It's not about technicalities, Sony can put in rumble in one day if they wanted to. But a company known as Immersion is standing between Sony and Rumble with a sign that says: "give us 90 million!" and money signs in their eyes.

This is interesting though, I have a question:

In the PS2, is the rumble implemented through Hardware or Software? What I mean is, is the rumble simply a code that triggers a chipset in the Dual Shock 2 or is the signal sent from a chip from inside the PS2 hardware? (I'm guessing hardware, since when my PS2 broke, even new controllers wouldn't rumble.)

Super Elite

Is there any reason you can think of why this should not work on the PS3 other than Sony refusing to implement it in software? If the PS3 is really a computer, can't a third party write a driver for a device like this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear Shenyu View Post
    Sony will never refuse to implement their own product, so in that sense, yes, you will be able to use Dualshock 2. But I don't think there will be rumble.

The rumble part is built into the software and the DS2 controller not the console, so to use rumble on the PS3 with PS2 games is just a limitation of whether or not you can hook the DS2 controller up to the PS3 and have it be recognized. If it is recognized everything is left to the software to give you rumble and since a lot of the PS2 games have a rumble feature they will work if the controller works.

For example my GT Force Feedback Pro Driving Wheel will still work with GT:HD, just like it did with GT4, GT3, NFS:HP2, and any other racing games with force feedback wheel support.

So:
    PS2 Game with Rumble + PS2 Controller (If recognized) + PS3 = Rumble
    PS2 Game with Rumble + PS2 Controller (If not recognized) + PS3 = No Rumble
    PS2 Game with Rumble + PS3 Controller + PS3 = No Rumble
    PS2 Game with Rumble + Thirdparty Controller (Racing Wheel Case) + PS3 = Rumble
    PS3 Game with Rumble + Thirdparty Controller (Racing Wheel Case) + PS3 = Rumble

Again the only limitation is the software. Since Sony is not putting rumble in the standard controller, only games that use non-standard controllers (ie. racing games w/ driving wheels) will utilize and impliment rumble. If the DS2 is recognized by the PS3 it should work fine with your PS2 games.
    It's not about technicalities, Sony can put in rumble in one day if they wanted to. But a company known as Immersion is standing between Sony and Rumble with a sign that says: "give us 90 million!" and money signs in their eyes.

This is interesting though, I have a question:

In the PS2, is the rumble implemented through Hardware or Software? What I mean is, is the rumble simply a code that triggers a chipset in the Dual Shock 2 or is the signal sent from a chip from inside the PS2 hardware? (I'm guessing hardware, since when my PS2 broke, even new controllers wouldn't rumble.)
    The rumble is initiated by the software, a small amount of hardware is needed to carry the signal to the controller. Nothing in the console actually has do to any translation (ie. a separate chip) for it to work. The circuitry should all be included in the controller, it just the information for the circuitry may be on a dedicated pin, which when your console broke it probably wouldn't send the information over the right pin, ie. a short circuit in the system stopping the signal before it gets to the controller.
    Like my post? Show your support accordingly.

"Beating us for a short moment is like accidentally winning a point from a Karate master, and Microsoft is still not black belt." - Ken Kutaragi on XBL

Sorry for going off topic, and if this has been answered before in this thead I apologize again, but with the $600 PS3 that includes Wi-Fi, will that alone be able to connect wirelessly to a broadband modem, or will you need a broadband wireless router that can interact with Wi-Fi?
    Tell it to the judge.:2gun:

I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by GameSpawn View Post

The rumble is initiated by the software, a small amount of hardware is needed to carry the signal to the controller. Nothing in the console actually has do to any translation (ie. a separate chip) for it to work. The circuitry should all be included in the controller, it just the information for the circuitry may be on a dedicated pin, which when your console broke it probably wouldn't send the information over the right pin, ie. a short circuit in the system stopping the signal before it gets to the controller.
    I see, thanks, that is very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalPunishment View Post
    Sorry for going off topic, and if this has been answered before in this thead I apologize again, but with the $600 PS3 that includes Wi-Fi, will that alone be able to connect wirelessly to a broadband modem, or will you need a broadband wireless router that can interact with Wi-Fi?
    You still need a source that gives you internet signals AKA a wireless router. WiFi only serves to recieve signals wirelessly.

However, there are some places where it is emcompased by WiFi. For example, if you take your PS3 to any Wal Mart or Mcdonalds, you can instantly get on the internet because these places all have built in WiFi that covers their whole premise.

Supreme Veteran
    i remember hearing about an event (not gamers day) in november close to the PS3 launch, can anyone think of anything??

Apprentice
    PS3 can pump out up to 1080P signals, but most HDTVs aren't HD enough to do 1080.

PS3's resolution is customizable by a list of preset resolutions, some of which include: 1080, 1024, 720, 480 etc. PS3 probably won't have custom resolution that fits say... a 1059 resolution monitor to the pixel.
    so if the monitor is 1050 i could set it to 1024 or 1080 either would look better than 720 right?

i would just have to test the two to see if my monitor upscales or downscales better i curently have a 17inch that does 1024 but i want to buy a 26inch wide screen that does 1050 wich onw would i be better of with?

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Zoibie View Post
    i remember hearing about an event (not gamers day) in november close to the PS3 launch, can anyone think of anything??
    It will be held in San Francisco on October 19.

So it will not be in November, but in October. It is said we will see the first Killzone Ps3 footage since E3 05 there!

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by felix954 View Post
    so if the monitor is 1050 i could set it to 1024 or 1080 either would look better than 720 right?

i would just have to test the two to see if my monitor upscales or downscales better i curently have a 17inch that does 1024 but i want to buy a 26inch wide screen that does 1050 wich onw would i be better of with?
    You can still set the custom resolution on the PS3 to anything you want, and your monitor will do the scaling. But choosing 1024 on the PS3 will ensure that the black bars are minimal. if you choose 1080, small bars of the image might get cut off on the sides unless your monitor scales it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keesie View Post
    It will be held in San Francisco on October 19.

So it will not be in November, but in October. It is said we will see the first Killzone Ps3 footage since E3 05 there!
    OMG, I hope so!

Supreme Veteran
    I recently saw on gametrailers and was wondering if the BD's Mpeg 2 is truly an outdated codec and if so will have been replaced by HD-DVD's VC1. And if so, will we be seeing any HD-DVD based 360 games in the future?
    [I am] Claudia Donovan, Warehouse 13: next generation.

Supreme Veteran
    OMG, I hope so!
    so do i, hopefully gameplay footage. tbh i belive every bit of the "it will lookk 99% on par with e3 05" statement.

btw Uncool, BD uses vc1 as well

Quote Originally Posted by Uncool View Post
    I recently saw on gametrailers and was wondering if the BD's Mpeg 2 is truly an outdated codec and if so will have been replaced by HD-DVD's VC1. And if so, will we be seeing any HD-DVD based 360 games in the future?
    New Blu-Ray movies will use VC1.

Microsoft has repeatedly said that Xbox 360 will not have HD-DVD games.

Supreme Veteran
    Thats cool, because that MS guy on the gametrailers HD-DVD interview said that rubbish and it sounded ridiculously true.
    [I am] Claudia Donovan, Warehouse 13: next generation.

Apprentice
    Hey sorry to bore you guys with these dumb questions but I haven't been on these forums in a long time and I haven't heard much about the PS3 since I was on here last.

When will it launch in the US?
    How much will it cost?
    How much will the games cost?

Thanks.

Thanks to NoUseMercenary for the sig. Great work!

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by King.Kong View Post
    Hey sorry to bore you guys with these dumb questions but I haven't been on these forums in a long time and I haven't heard much about the PS3 since I was on here last.

How much will it cost?

Thanks.
    November 17th 2006
    500USD for 20GB and 600USD for 60GB
    It is safe to assume games will be 59.99USD

Current Games: NBA 2K9, GTAIV(360&PS3), Halo 3, Gears of War 2, Godfather II

Elite Member

How much will it cost?

Thanks.
    The PS3 will launch in the U.S. on the 17th of November. The 20GB PS3 will cost $499, and the 60GB one will be $599. The games will cost $50 at the least, some games may range up to $70.

EDIT: Ok, I guess Midnights got there first.

Apprentice
    Thanks for replying. So, what is the difference between the 20GB and 60GB? I know this is the storage but why is there a $100 difference? Why is the storage space such a big deal? I don't really get what its supposed to...store.

Thanks to NoUseMercenary for the sig. Great work!

Elite Member
    There is more than just a HDD difference. The 20GB model won't support flash cards or Wi-Fi. And also, it won't have the chrome-finish to it.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by King.Kong View Post
    Thanks for replying. So, what is the difference between the 20GB and 60GB? I know this is the storage but why is there a $100 difference? Why is the storage space such a big deal? I don't really get what its supposed to...store.
    The 60GB has more storage, memory card inputs, and built in wireless.
    Storage is for your saves, movies, music, game data, demos, and all that.

Edit: you beat me this time Sash

Current Games: NBA 2K9, GTAIV(360&PS3), Halo 3, Gears of War 2, Godfather II

Thread Information