Page 1 of 954 111 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru

PS3: Ask a Question

If you are a frequent answerer of questions in this thread, and you spot a question that is asked often, please write out the question and answer, then PM them to me so I can update the main post through my laziness. I'll then rep you for it.

This is the new Ask A Question thread to replace the old one that was accidentally deleted. I trust that most of you will already be familiar with the rules and the process in which questions should be posted and answered...

Declaimer: The FAQ section of this post may contain incorrect information, it is, however, made with the knowledge of the posters in this thread who have hands on experience with the machine itself.

What the heck, I'll post the rules again:

RULES: (Updated Mar 23, 2007)

[reveal]
    Be courteous
    -
    If someone answered your question and helped you with problems concerning your PS3, give them a rep.

I will rep everyone that have answered questions when I scan the thread, so please answer with a vengeance! please understand that I won't be able to rep everyone since there is a limit on how much I can rep, so if you don't get one, please don't flame me!

Put reveal tags around large pictures
    -Pictures often are so large that they cause the page to stretch horizontally and make the entire page unreadable, so put reveal tags around these pictures to prevent that from happening. *remove spaces* [ reveal ]place picture here[ /reveal ]

PS3 related questions only
    -Don't ask us why your life sucks, we are not Socrates of Plato or Confucius... yes, you CAN ask "can the 360 do that?"

Post a maximum of 2 questions with each new post
    - this ensures that people will be enthusiastic enough to answer all questions.

No discussions
    - this thread is strictly used to ask questions and get answers, it will NOT be allowed to turn into a console vs. console thread.

BOLD your questions.
    - so that when people go through a page and try to locate questions, it is easy to do so. You are only helping yourself by BOLDING your questions.

No flaming
    -If you see anything that is incorrect in others' answers, and there are a lot of them, you may quote that answer and put in your own corrections. However, you must do this in a moderate manner and cannot flame someone because they accidentally downplayed the significance of your chosen console.

FAQ updates
    -I will periodically update the FAQ to accommodate new information and/or frequently asked questions, in these situations, "[FAQ updated]" will appear behind the name "Ask a Question". This sign will stay in the name for one day after the actual update to the FAQ and the newly added FAQ questions will be marked in red.

Please use common sense
    -Asking questions like: will PS3 play games? is not appreciated. Who says there aren't stupid questions?

ETC.
    -I'll add more rules as the problems arise. Rest assured, these rules will be enforced. [/reveal]

FAQ: (Updated Mar 22, 2007)
    Read this site first, it has 90 percent of the answers you'll need
    Also, there is a Superior PS3 FAQ Here

-Anyone knows how to transfer movies to the PS3 through Memory stick?
    plug in the memory stick into the PS3, open it in the PS3 browser (triangle, then view all files), then highlight the movie or folder you want (folder named VIDEO), press triangle then copy. Simple (Thanks Zoibie and towlie)

-When Will PS3 get background downloading?!Phil Harrison says: "You'll get it in the March firmware update" -What video formats can be played on the PS3 as of (Feb 15. 2007)
    http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/video/filetypes.html
    • MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
    • H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile (AAC LC)
    • MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
    • MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
    • MPEG-2 TS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2)
    -What types of music formats can be played as of (Feb 15. 2007)
    • Memory Stick Audio Format(ATRAC)
    • MP3(MPEG-1/2 Audio Layer 3)
    • MP4(MPEG-4 AAC)
    • WAVE(Linear PCM)
    Previous FAQ questions:

-"IS THIS TV GOOD FOR THE PS3?"

Any TV is "good for the PS3". But if you mean whether or not your TV does the HD capabilities of the PS3 justice, then judge for yourself based on the following criterias:
    A TV that does the PS3's justice: (top to bottom > most important to Least important)
    • Has a resolution of anything higher than 1240 x 720
    • (For LCD TVs only) It should have a refresh rate of smaller or equal to 8ms, otherwise, you'll see huge ghosting on screen.
    • Is anything larger than 19"
    • Has a 16:9 aspect ratio (English translation: it is widescreen)
    -"How heavy is the SIXAXIS?"
    "Go lift some weight or cans of dog food etc. and afterwards everything will feel lighter in your hands. Then pick up the dualshock. It feels very light but kinda liberating." -Answer courtesy of Carsonal.

-Can the PS3 contract a virus?
    Yes it can, but it can just as easily get rid of that Virus since it is running on the extremely resilient Linux. Linux is known to get almost no viruses at all (because it is open source)

-Can I turn off the tilt sensing in games?

Yes, you can turn it off... if the game developer chooses to code to turn it off and give that option to you in game, then you can. But you know what? That's not going to happen, when not one, but two gamer juggernauts support tilt, then tilt is here to stay.

Er... in Motorstorm gives you the option to turn tilt on and off if you pause the online demo mid race.

-Can I play my own music while playing a game?
    No official info on this as of yet, but the tech is definitely there that can make this possible (you can pause right into the XMB in game). If Sony doesn't implement it initially at launch, expect this to come in a firmware update if there is strong demand for it.

-How do I transfer files from my previous 2.5" HDD to a new, and bigger HDD if I want to switch?
    The simplest way is to back up your files onto a external drive such as a USB stick or an external hard drive and then transfer them back into your new HDD after you have finished installing it.

-How soon do you think the second shipment of PS3 units will arrive?
    Sony aims to ship 6 million units world wide by March 07, which means each continent gets about 2 million units if they are shared equally. You should expect new shipments of PS3s to come every month, so a second shipment of PS3s should arrive at your local store before Christmas.

-Can I use my computer monitor to run PS3 games?
    Yes, but you will likely need a HDMi-DVI adapter to make the heads fit into each socket, but a monitor will work with PS3.

-How will PS3 games look on a normal TV?
    It will look exactly like how it's supposed to look like. The only difference between SDTV or EDTV and HDTV is that HDTV shows you all the pixels that the PS3 pumps out instead of chopping off some to make the image smaller. Overall, HDTV PS3 games will look nicer than normal TV PS3 games, but that is the same for all TV signals.

-What is the disc loading mechanism for the PS3?
    The PS3 loads game discs using a front loader, meaning there is no disc tray, the disc just magically gets sucked into the system (serious!)

-If I buy a PS3 from one continent, will I be able to use that on other continents?
    Yes

-What PS3 peripherals have been announced so far?
    Controller, PS2 memory card adapter and a remote control. For more information, check here.

-What is the name of the new Playstation 3 controller?
    It's name is: SIX AXIS source

-How much will PS3 games cost based on current information?
    Based on this report, PS3 launch games will cost a wide range of prices, ranging from 5 000 yen to as high as 8 000 yen. But most of the games appear to hover around the 5 900 Yen range, which converts to about $50 USD or $59 CND. However, these games will likely cost more in NA and EU when they are released in these respective areas.

Update: U.S. game prices are currently locked at 59 dollars.

Following FAQ questions courtesy of Mone (give him a rep)
    -What type of HDD should I use to upgrade my PS3?
    The PS3 requires a 2.5Ē SATA HDD, the standard HDD in laptops.

-How do I connect to the INTERNET wirelessly with the PS3?
    The PS3 60 gig model has a built in WiFi that allows you to instantaneously receive wireless INTERNET signals. The two standards it supports are 802.11b and g with data rates of 11mbps and 54 mbps. At this time, it doesn't appear that the adapter supports Super G or higher rates. Keep in mind though, a wireless adapter is not a modem. A wireless adapter is simply a wireless network card. Therefore, you will need a wireless router connected to a cable or DSL modem or a combo wireless router/modem to be able to communicate with the PS3ís wireless adapter

-How do I connect to the INTERNET if I have the 20gig model?
    You have three options here. You can connect your PS3 directly to your modem (just use a wire... like your computer); you can run a cat 5 cable from your router to your ps3, or you can buy a USB wireless adapter.

Adapters nowadays accept all formats, so it doesnít matter which one you get.

-I have a SDTV only, will the PS3 still work?
    The PS3 will indeed still work; just donít expect your games to look like the HD trailers that you see on the INTERNET and elsewhere. The graphics will not change, nor will the animation, what will change will be the quality of the image and the amount of detail. (you are essentially seeing about 4 times less pixels)

P.S. The last AAQ thread was destroyed by some kind of forum malfunction, and a couple of people lost over 300 posts from that, but whatever, let's rebuild Rome.

-Shenyu
    "and I mean If he doesn't like you after he sees this, then you're just gonna have to go back home and put some more make up on."

2. Likes BishopHart likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    yeah why are you back? was some issue resolved in that farewell thread you started?

Dedicated Member
    WB Panda :3 I knew you couldn't stay away for too long.

Here are some of the questions I've been collecting in my faq that I've been writing.

1.What type of HDD should I use to upgrade my PS3?
    The PS3 requires a 2.5” SATA HDD.

2.How do I connect wirellesly with the PS3?
    The PS3 60 gig model has a built in wireless adapter. The two standards it supports are 802.11b and g with data rates of 11mbps and 54 mbps. At this time, it doesn’t appear that the adapter supports Super G or higher rates.

Keep in mind though, a wireless adapter is not a modem. A wireless adapter is simply a wireless network card. Therfore, you will need a wireless router connected to a cable or DSL modem or a combo wireless router/modem to be able to communicate with the PS3’s wireless adapter

2.1 How do I connect to the internet if I have the 20gig model?
    You have three options here. You can connect your PS3 directly to your modem, you can run a cat 5 cable from your router to your ps3, or you can buy a USB wireless adapter.

Adapters nowadays accept all formats, so it doesn’t matter which one you get.

3. I have a SDTV only, will the PS3 still work?
    The PS3 will indeed still work; just don’t expect your games to look like the HD trailers that you see on the internet and elsewhere. The graphics will not change, nor will the animation, what will change will be the quality of the image and the amount of detail.

You can add them to the topic to main page if you want.

I have a question of my own.

Any news yet on how if the PS3 will be able to do filesharing with a real comptuer
    Member # 11 of the balanced gamers group

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow26 View Post
    yeah why are you back? was some issue resolved in that farewell thread you started?
    Yes, we thrashed that person that wrote the farewell thread.

~Panda
    "and I mean If he doesn't like you after he sees this, then you're just gonna have to go back home and put some more make up on."

Supreme Veteran
    i guesse the other one will be deleted yeah. I have thought up a question

Is the 20gb PS3 got the chrome logo on as well as the 60gb version. It certainly looked like that at TGS

Forum Guru
    Items User name style
    I just posted in this and it is gone no why?
    Vengeful is amazing<3

Supreme Veteran
    yeah, i thought there was some more posts on here as well. Is this getting deleted post by post now.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibie View Post
    i guesse the other one will be deleted yeah. I have thought up a question

Is the 20gb PS3 got the chrome logo on as well as the 60gb version. It certainly looked like that at TGS
    The 20GB version appears to have the silver logo (Playstation 3), but it does not have the silver strip on running down its side.

Quote Originally Posted by ps3isawesome View Post
    I just posted in this and it is gone no why?
    This thread was stickied, and in the process, a few questions were deleted. Please post them again.

yeah, i thought there was some more posts on here as well. Is this getting deleted post by post now.
    No, that was technical issue, things should be running smoothly from now on.

~Panda

Supreme Veteran
    i see your getting back to your old routine then Shenyu

I Don't Know How To Do Bold, So I'm Doing Caps. edit: but the caps didnt show up.

Question: The 20gb Version Doesn't Come With A Memory Stick Slot, From What I Understand. Will A 20gb Hard Drive Be Enough To Save All The Games You Want To? I Think Ps2 Memory Cards Are 8mb Or Something, And They Filled Up Fast. I Have No Idea How 8mb Relates To 20gb.

Forum Guru
    Items User name style
    PBS if you didnt make that thread then who did (it was in here before it was stickied and you said that you didnt make it)?
    Vengeful is amazing<3

Elite Guru
    I found these juicy and answerable questions from Supaman's temp Question thread, so here are the answers:

In that PS3 land article with the video of the ps3, it looks as if it were seethrough, but it says above that it is opaque.
    Whats going on, can you see inside it or not?
    it certainly appears to be semi-translucent on several occassion, but without official confirmation, no one can be sure.

Which is better 720p or 1080i ??
    1080i is bigger, 720P is smoother, you pick one.

i have a question, will the $600 ps3 come with a mic? or is it going to be sold seperately?
    A headset will most likely be sold separately.

I hav a question, which games are the UK likely to see when the PS3 is launched in March 2007?
    Adding onto the launch lineup, you will likely see these prominent games by march 07 in the UK:

Resistance
    WarHawk
    F1
    Lair
    Heavenly Sword
    Gran Turismo Premium/Classic

To just name a few.

Here's my question. If I get a 37" inch LCD for Xmas, will it make a huge difference in quality between 720p and 1080p?
    By the end of the PS3's lifecycle, you'd be seeing amazing 1080P visuals that make Lair and heavenly sword look like crap. By that time (about 6 years from now), you'll be begging for bigger sets. But I suggest you stick with a 720P set for now since it is still very very beautiful.

is there any pics of 1440p tvs yet lol
    Lord help us all.

What date do you think the european launch date will be on?
    Around mid March...

Is ps3's online going to be free? If so how is it going to work?
    Yes, you can play multiplayer games for free online. however, games like MMOs and buying music and movies off the web will naturally still cost you money.

Can I overclock my PS3? (for example if I want to add some water cooling or something)

Will the PS3 get better performance when the Cell will shrink to 65nm ?
    No and No.

y delete such a great thread are the mods complet idiots!?!?!?WTF!?!?!?

anyway i need to ask a Q!
    Will all your info be deleted on HDD if you get a new one to up the memory??
    ex: 60gb to 300gb
    It was a technical error, and no, your info won't be deleted, you just need to transfer all your files to your new HDD or download them all over again.
    Because the PS3 can browse the internet will it be able to get a virus?
    Yes it will, however, expect Sony to take prestigious measures to protect you from viruses.

1) Will the PS3 help make PS2 load times better? I know with Sims 2 the PS2 really struggled to keep up with the loading. Will the PS3 solve this issue?

2) Being the PS3 games are not region coded, does this mean PS3 can play PS2 games from anywhere in the world?

3) And I doubt anyone knows this answer, but I will ask anyway. Does anybody know how the HDD in the PS3 comes out? Is it like the 360?

4) I take it the PS3 must come with a OS disc in order to install the OS on a new HDD. Anybody know this?
    1. it doesn't appear so since PS2 emulation doesn't take full advantage of PS3's infrastructure, however that is subject to change.

2. If the PS3 doesn't check regio coding at all, then yes, your PS2 games from japan will work on your NA PS3.

3. There is an expansion bay type slot under the PS3 in its vertical position that you can slide the HDD in and out easily (<---- sounded wrong)

4. I believe Linux comes pre-installed on the PS3 via Flash memory, so you don't have to worry when swapping HDDs.

i don't know how the PS2 hdd is attached but the PS3 hdd slots out of the bottom
    PS2 had an expansion bay where you could install HDDs and Network adapters. It appears to be very similar to the PS3's expansion bay.

i see your getting back to your old routine then Shenyu
    *moaning and groaning*

Quote Originally Posted by petezahut View Post
    I Don't Know How To Do Bold, So I'm Doing Caps. edit: but the caps didnt show up.

Question: The 20gb Version Doesn't Come With A Memory Stick Slot, From What I Understand. Will A 20gb Hard Drive Be Enough To Save All The Games You Want To? I Think Ps2 Memory Cards Are 8mb Or Something, And They Filled Up Fast. I Have No Idea How 8mb Relates To 20gb.
    To bold, use this code:

[/b] insert words here but flip the codes on the outside [b] or you could just highlight the text that you want to highlight and press "ctrl + B"

20 GBs of space is more than enough to hold all the game saves you'll ever want. However, if you are going to download lots of demos and music, you might want to consider an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by ps3isawesome View Post
    PBS if you didnt make that thread then who did (it was in here before it was stickied and you said that you didnt make it)?
    I made this thread, but for some reason the posts were deleted.

~Panda

Elite Member
    What Is Under The Flap On The 20gb Sku?

WHO DAT??? 16-3 SBXLIV CHAMPS
    DREW BREES SB MVP - REVVED UP FOR A REPEAT!!
    2010 Record = 6-3

Supreme Veteran
    nothing, there probably won't be a flap on it

Apprentice
    when will i become a veteran or dedicated member?

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanworldleader View Post
    What Is Under The Flap On The 20gb Sku?
    it will most likely be additional expansion ports... or it could be not a flap at all like Zoib said. The thing is, we don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by DuFFs1989 View Post
    when will i become a veteran or dedicated member?
    when you get 500 posts, I think.

Apprentice
    long way to go then for me... im on 160 now!

Apprentice
    some times i rep people but i doesnt show up straight away?

Elite Member
    some times i rep people but i doesnt show up straight away?
    When you stop posting irrelevant questions in the wrong threads.

Duffs, this thread is only for questions about the Playstation 3.

Apprentice
    this is the ask a question thread though.

Supreme Veteran
    will the PS3 be able to go online using a usb port like the 360

Elite Guru
    this is the ask a question thread though.
    It's PS3 ask a question thread.

will the PS3 be able to go online using a usb port like the 360
    Yes, but it'll be much easier to directly use WiFi or a standard internet cable to connect to the internet.

Apprentice
    so where you ask questions about the forum then?

Elite Guru
    so where you ask questions about the forum then?
    Go to general Chit chat or suggestions.

Superior Member
    I have a question, since HDMI carries a digital signal for both image and audio. How will I play with my optical cable (for Surrond Sound) without hearing audio coming out of my TV.
    Life is short, make it last.
    PSN ID: viperman240

Thread Information