Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Selected Members Council
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Capcom: Doubts over DmC's Dante dissipating

When Capcom first ripped the lid off the Devil May Cry series reboot, dubbed DmC: Devil May Cry, fans were angry with developer Ninja Theory's direction – specifically, Dante's new look and surroundings. Capcom US Producer Alex Jones understands this initial concern, but believes outrage is dissipating.

"There was always going to be people who saw new Dante and who didn't want it, and that's fine. Being angry about it – yeah I get that – but we always said, 'When you see the game and you play it, trust me, you're going to understand that we were doing the right thing.' Now that's happening," Jones tells VG24/7. "So yeah it's vindication, but it's not like smugly sitting back and going 'ha ha.' It's more like, 'We understand why you guys had doubts, and we knew that we had to prove this to you, and we were happy to do it.' That was our responsibility."

Despite Dante's new look, Jones says there's a lot to the character that will be familiar to fans of the series – and not just his twin pistols and sword. "He's still irreverent, he's still – at the end of the day – the guy who will kick your ass and drop a cool one liner afterwards."

The interview delves into story and other philosophies behind Ninja Theory's reboot, so hit up the source link below to read the full interview.
    via Joystiq.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    zex494
    Huh..sounds like wishful thinking. While some fans have been "won over" (term used very loosely) long time fans en masse are still relatively pissed. I for one am still part of the latter. While I don't wish failure,i wont be purchasing this.
    I had no intentions of becoming a leader. It is as a warrior how I shall be remembered, but these are hardly numbers worth dying for.
    -Zechs Merquise

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    While the trailers make the game look promising, he still looks, well normal, and like that which I shall not mention. The latter being the main issue with the masses.
    They should fire that designer

Veteran
    Vindication....? What the hell.

Do they not realize that most of the fans of Devil May Cry have completely written this game off?

The reason that you don't hear complaining anymore is the because the fans have moved on. Are you that dense Capcom?

The people that are paying attention are the ones you will hear say "I've never really played a DMC, it looks ok".
    Last edited by Kauldron; 08-26-2012 at 00:24.

5. Likes Gaddes likes this post
    Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Il see how i feel after i try out dino at eurogamer expo in a few weeks.

Thank you itachi

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    To be honest, i don't mind the change anymore. I am hoping the gameplay is solid and there's a possibility this might actually have a good story.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-12-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    I'll give it a shot when it comes out. I'll see from there..

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Apprentice

Screw them, screw capcom and that new faggy Dante wannabe.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by zex494 View Post
    Huh..sounds like wishful thinking. While some fans have been "won over" (term used very loosely) long time fans en masse are still relatively pissed. I for one am still part of the latter. While I don't wish failure,i wont be purchasing this.

Good statement. I'll buy it... give them a chance. But if I don't like it, I'm selling it straight up. I will give the game a chance

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    FonFahbre
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Good statement. I'll buy it... give them a chance. But if I don't like it, I'm selling it straight up. I will give the game a chance
    Likewise.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Gaddesreinhart
    Items PS3 FatVita
    Sounds like wishful thinking on Capcom's part.
    Retired FFXI player. FFXIV player, Malboro Server.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    I'll wait for a demo...

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by robvandam111 View Post
    I'll wait for a demo...
    This.

I really, really, REALLY hate the new design, but if the gameplay is at all like the good old DMC of old, then I might be willing to give it a try.

But yeah, I'm still pissed about this imposter. I know Dante, and that ain't him!
    Shinei!

15. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Capcom really lost ther way with devil may cry.i think this game will bomb

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauldron View Post

Do they not realize that most of the fans of Devil May Cry have completely written this game off?

The reason that you don't hear complaining anymore is the because the fans have moved on. Are you that dense Capcom?

The people that are paying attention are the ones you will hear say "I've never really played a DMC, it looks ok".
    Maybe they're citing demo impressions from Gamescom and/or other impressions since that event...?

Quote Originally Posted by Bio
    Yep, NGP will retail at $300. We all know it's going to happen.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    FonFahbre
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    It could of been worse. I posted a comparison a few days ago between the first reboot Dante and the current one. The difference is night and day.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by Kauldron View Post

Long time fan here!
    The latest trailers have warm me up to DMC.....a lot, even to the point thinking I prefer the new direction?
    But! my doubts are only with the developer being able to better the best of Devil May Cry in the gameplay department, because really that's the whole point
    As for the rest, it looks better
    But only time will tell

Sent via Codec

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Dedicated Member
    Don't think theres anything wrong with giving the game a try. But...........still........

This new design can go to hell.

Master Guru
    Capcom has lost it.

True Devil May Cry fans aren't interested in this game. Why would you change so much of what made the franchise what it is today?

22. Likes zex494 likes this post
    Master Poster
    You know, you couldn't find someone that hated everything about this game (and Rising) more than me. But after checking out the gameplay and seeing the direction they're taking DmC...I'm actually quite excited. Let's all be honest with ourselves for just a moment. Out of the 4 DMC games only 2 of them were anything special. DMC2 should be banished to the depths of hell itself and DMC4 made a mockery of itself when they made me play the same levels over for a second time as Dante.

From a story aspect the games outside of DMC3 have never taken themselves seriously, which is a shame because the whole universe has untapped potential from a story aspect the games were all about flashy deep combat systems with little emphasis on the narrative.Seeing and reading information on the new DmC game gives me hope that the story is going to be something on par with Enslaved and Heavenly Sword both games with amazing stories but suspect game mechanics. But I feel like this partnership with Ninja Theory has allowed Capcom to deliver us a DmC game that takes its story and universe seriously.

I say, wait for it to launch and see if your fears came true or we all just overreacted to the idea of changing something we all hold dear to our hearts....and is it just me or did Dante go through a little redesign? he seems different now then when this game was first announced.
    Thank You Shaq...For Everything

24. Likes Sir_Scud likes this post
    Elite Member
    Dream on Capcom. This Devil May Cry fan has written you off and your products.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryAim View Post
    You know, you couldn't find someone that hated everything about this game (and Rising) more than me. But after checking out the gameplay and seeing the direction they're taking DmC...I'm actually quite excited. Let's all be honest with ourselves for just a moment. Out of the 4 DMC games only 2 of them were anything special. DMC2 should be banished to the depths of hell itself and DMC4 made a mockery of itself when they made me play the same levels over for a second time as Dante.

From a story aspect the games outside of DMC3 have never taken themselves seriously, which is a shame because the whole universe has untapped potential from a story aspect the games were all about flashy deep combat systems with little emphasis on the narrative.Seeing and reading information on the new DmC game gives me hope that the story is going to be something on par with Enslaved and Heavenly Sword both games with amazing stories but suspect game mechanics. But I feel like this partnership with Ninja Theory has allowed Capcom to deliver us a DmC game that takes its story and universe seriously.

I say, wait for it to launch and see if your fears came true or we all just overreacted to the idea of changing something we all hold dear to our hearts....and is it just me or did Dante go through a little redesign? he seems different now then when this game was first announced.
    Lets hope so. I'm actually brazen enough to say the gameplay will take the nosedive here, Either with trying to implement something new that falls flat on it's face, or not changing it at all from the original.

Super Elite
    Admittedly, I'm in the camp of individuals who never held interest in the previous hero, and am interested in this one for its own unique vibe. More so, I want to see if it matches Enslaved both in writing and atmosphere. While graphically and technically average even for its release, Enslaved remains one of the more memorable games of this generation to my eyes. It's also (my opinion) one of the few from this generation that could be reasonably argued for in the "Games as Art" debate. I'm only interested in DmC because of Enslaved before it.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    HitMan00
    i say listen to the fans, casue the same thing happened to NG3. Developer ignore what the fans wanted and the game flop.

Master Guru
    I mean there's nothing wrong with change, or going the extra mile to improve your game but this is not a reboot. It's a disaster. Plain and simple. I don't care if the game is fun to play. It's not Devil May Cry.

It's not going to give me the feeling that i had when i bought DMC for the PS2 on a whim not knowing what it was and popping it in with a buddy for the first time and being blown away. Some of that is nostalgia yeah. Most of it is just the sheer fact that the original Devil May Cry was flat out amazing.

This disaster, or reboot as they call it will completely flop and they'll learn their lesson.

Thread Information