Latest PSU headlines:

Soldier 95B

Microsoft's Xbox 360 Will Never Have A Browser

Had to dig up this old article, as I thought it is pretty funny considering it was one of the bigger announcements at E3 this year:

Microsoft officially declares that the Xbox 360 will not be receiving a browser.

For years, 360 users have been scratching their heads and wondering when their gaming system- manufactured by the top software manufacturer in the world- would supply them with the software necessary to go online and surf the Web. The answer is never.
    In an interview with Edge Magazine (via CVG) , Xbox product manager Aaron Greenberg confirmed that the 360 would not support a Web browser because Microsoft deemed exploring the Internet on a home TV to be a “poor experience.”

“We really believe that the web browsing experience on TV is a poor one, and the real magic is to take those Web experiences and optimise them for the living room. That’s what we did with Netflix. So, sure, you can go on the PS3 and go to Facebook and and try to navigate, but it’s an absolute nightmare.”

Both the Nintendo Wii and Sony PlayStation 3 support Web browers. “No disrespect,” Greenberg said.”There’s things I love about the PS3, but that’s not one of them.”

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/...#ixzz24m16OT4f

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Companies usually end up supporting features that they've said they weren't before lol. I'm sure there is an article against motion controlling games, HDMI, etc., etc.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Had to dig up this old article, as I thought it is pretty funny considering it was one of the bigger announcements at E3 this year:

Microsoft officially declares that the Xbox 360 will not be receiving a browser.
    All of what he said at the time were true and still are true for the other systems. Navigating is a pain in the ass and clunky on the other systems but MS found a solution.

Being able to use you phone as a track pad and a keyboard will be great and infinitely better than the other solutions thanks to smartglass.

Soldier 95B
    I still think it's funny that they say there will never be one, then they make one. No doubt it is a better experience than the other options on consoles. That wasn't in question.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Companies always say one thing and later do another and MS is no different. Just like when Sony once said they will never pay for 3rd party content and now look at what theyre doing with AC and Far Cry (timed exclusive DLC) as well as other games in the past like the joker maps for one of the Batman games for example.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    I still think it's funny that they say there will never be one, then they make one. No doubt it is a better experience than the other options on consoles. That wasn't in question.
    Article said never, not Greenberg. I love poor journalism. There isn't one quote where Greenberg says "never".
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Forum Elder
    spent a few hours with IE on 360, glad MS waited as its a very good implementation of a browser on a console and while it still needs a few refinements, it shows how it should be done.

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    spent a few hours with IE on 360, glad MS waited as its a very good implementation of a browser on a console and while it still needs a few refinements, it shows how it should be done.
    Wait a minute Microsoft say they never will have a browser and you used IE on it how come?
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MacP View Post
    Wait a minute Microsoft say they never will have a browser and you used IE on it how come?
    No they didn't say never, and yes it's on the Xbox.And its very good...

Flash support please.....thats all I ask. Adobe ball's in you court.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

Soldier 95B
    I don't think it is in Adobe's court. I think it is in MS' court. I am sure MS intentionally prevented having flash support. MS wants silverlight!

Power Member
    Items User name style
    I don't think it is in Adobe's court. I think it is in MS' court. I am sure MS intentionally prevented having flash support. MS wants silverlight!
    Probably a mixture, Adobe still have to write a IBM power PC verison of flash I guess. Microsoft have to approve it.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I don't have a fancy phone.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Companies always say one thing and later do another and MS is no different. Just like when Sony once said they will never pay for 3rd party content and now look at what theyre doing with AC and Far Cry (timed exclusive DLC) as well as other games in the past like the joker maps for one of the Batman games for example.
    They did it with all 3 GTA games last gen so its not exactly new for Sony this gen.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Soldier 95B
    Not new this gen but it was this gen when they said they don't do it. But they do.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    They did it with all 3 GTA games last gen so its not exactly new for Sony this gen.
    But Jack Tretton said that Sony doesn't need to do that but they still do it now and have done it in the past so my point still stands.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    its not exactly new, but they still said it..

Elite Member

Didn't they say the same thing about HDMI and 1080p support before the Elite was announced?

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadside View Post
    Didn't they say the same thing about HDMI and 1080p support before the Elite was announced?
    They always had 1080p support.

And no, they never said never with Hdmi, they just said "not right now".
    But all they said here was they wouldn't put it on cause it looks like $#@!.
    They have fixed it so it doesn't look like $#@!.

19. Likes A7MAD, F34R likes this post

Thread Information