Elite Member

I need some game recommendations.

Well, I haven't really been gaming for the past few months, but I booted up Skyrim again recently and had a fun time with it so now I'm wanting to get some cheap games that I can play that'll last me awhile. They can be old but they must be on PS3 or PSN and I'd prefer if I could get them for less than $29.99 USD. I want a game that lasts me awhile, so no shooters with five-hour campaigns, and I'd also prefer single-player titles. My favorite genres are RPG and sandbox action-adventure titles, but I'd be willing to play brawlers and racing games provided they have meat to them; I want my money to go a long way.

Refrain from recommending:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Fallout 3
    Fallout: New Vegas
    BioShock
    BioShock 2
    Red Dead Redemption
    Saint's Row 2
    Saint's Row: The Third
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    inFAMOUS
    inFAMOUS 2
    Prototype
    Prototype 2
    White Knight Chronicles
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Dragon Age 2
    Borderlands
    Enchanted Arms
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Final Fantasy XIII-2
    Mass Effect 2
    Mass Effect 3
    Assassin's Creed
    Assassin's Creed II
    Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
    Assassin's Creed: Revelations
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    Batman: Arkham City
    God of War
    God of War 2
    God of War 3
    God of War: Ghost of Sparta
    God of War: Chains of Olympus
    Jak & Daxter Collection
    L.A. Noire

The games I listed I've either played already or hold no interest in. I'm sorry if my criteria is specific, but I figure it'd be easier to say what I like than what I don't like. Of course, if you really love a game and want to recommend it to me anyway, I have no way of stopping you and may consider your recommendation if you present a good-enough case. I'm looking into the more recently-released SSX and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, but I don't wanna pay full price for those. I'm also considering buying Grand Theft Auto IV and/or Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, but that's only if I don't like any of your guys' recommendations.

Thanks in advance, peeps.
    Last edited by TRF; 08-28-2012 at 18:11.
    Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!

TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

Superior Member
    Darksiders, a sleeper hit, but a damn good game IMO. Much like Zelda in terms of puzzles and exploration. Plenty of bang for your buck and about $20.

Dark Souls is a fantastic RPG if you would consider yourself a "hardcore gamer", and like a challenge. Some people like to brag and say it was easy for them, but seriously, its a pretty hard game your first blind playthrough. But also very rewarding. One of my favorite games overall. Highly addicting if you get into it. I picked it up for $30. Finished my first playthrough at about 110 hours, but I spent a lot of time going out of my way to find armor and spells, hidden secrets and all that sort of thing.

If you're a fan of horror/zombie games, try out Dead Island. Don't read too much into the reviews, all games are about personal preference and opinion. I for one had a lot of fun with it and its even better with online co-op. May seem repetitious towards the end, however it has a healthy dose of RPG elements. You can level up, craft weapons, do side-missions for survivors, etc. The GotY edition is $30 I believe.

If you want a truly awesome and impressive sandbox, open-world experience, check out Sleeping Dogs. A recent game, so you're coughing up $60, but I do not regret my purchase at all and its easily one of my favorite games now, and the best of 2012 so far IMO. The story is great, the combat is fantastic to utilize and to watch, the driving is a hell of a lot better than GTA, and there's plenty to do and unlock. If you're like me, you'll be putting in several hours of gametime, 20-30 hours even.
    Last edited by Joe Zombie; 08-28-2012 at 06:07.

3. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Well, I haven't really been gaming for the past few months, but I booted up Skyrim again recently and had a fun time with it so now I'm wanting to get some cheap games that I can play that'll last me awhile. They can be old but they must be on PS3 or PSN and I'd prefer if I could get them for less than $29.99 USD. I want a game that lasts me awhile, so no shooters with five-hour campaigns, and I'd also prefer single-player titles. My favorite genres are RPG and sandbox action-adventure titles, but I'd be willing to play brawlers and racing games provided they have meat to them; I want my money to go a long way.

Refrain from recommending:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
    Fallout 3
    Fallout: New Vegas
    BioShock
    BioShock 2
    Red Dead Redemption
    Saint's Row 2
    Saint's Row: The Third
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    inFAMOUS
    inFAMOUS 2
    Prototype
    Prototype 2
    White Knight Chronicles
    Dragon Age: Origins
    Dragon Age 2
    Borderlands
    Enchanted Arms
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Final Fantasy XIII-2
    Mass Effect 2
    Mass Effect 3
    Assassin's Creed
    Assassin's Creed II
    Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
    Assassin's Creed: Revelations

The games I listed I've either played already or hold no interest in. I'm sorry if my criteria is specific, but I figure it'd be easier to say what I like than what I don't like. Of course, if you really love a game and want to recommend it to me anyway, I have no way of stopping you and may consider your recommendation if you present a good-enough case. I'm looking into the more recently-released SSX and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, but I don't wanna pay full price for those. I'm also considering buying Grand Theft Auto IV and/or Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, but that's only if I don't like any of your guys' recommendations.

Thanks in advance, peeps.
    Uncharted series. =D

Not in your list.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    CMac-19
    God of War III
    All of the Uncharted games
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Heavy Rain

Some of my favorite games ever, but I'd be surprised if you haven't played them also

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Demon's Souls
    Valkyria Chronicles

Any of the collections
    Sly
    Ratchet & Clank
    Jak & Daxter

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Star Ocean?

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    I really need to recommend Demon's/Dark Souls. As an RPG fan with an action taste, you'll love either game. Trying to understand your taste, both games really are difficult, but will satisfy you when you finally beat a tough boss and will make you learn how to play the game properly. The only downside is if you dislike games that are very grindy. If you don't like grinding to get materials to improve you weapons and skills, then I would get either game. Nor would I recommend it if you get pissed at games easily. I thought the level design and art style was really cool, and Level 3-1 in Demon's Souls gives this amazingly creepy vibe inside this messed up prison structure crawling with the most evil ass enemy ever.

I see that you are kinda interested in GTAIV. If you get the version with the expansions, which I'm not sure what it retails for, they totally make up for the boring nature of GTAIV. I liked the main missions in GTAIV, but they get REALLY repetitive. Usually drive to point B and listen to someone talk furthering the plot, kill a bunch of dudes, or chase a car down that can't be destroyed and you must follow it until it stops. With that said, first time through, the story is good and has enough stuff to keep you at least interested to play through the missions.

As for some PSN games, I've heard good things for Legasista but haven't been able to play it for myself. It's an RPG dungeon crawler that's incredibly deep with an insane amount of customization. You have a group that you can have one guy out at a time going through randomly generated levels and can swap out that one guy for anyone else in the group at a moment's notice. The point is to use the best character for the best situation. Insane amount of stats to pick from and and can even create your own guys. I've had such a backlog that I haven't bought or tried it yet, but it sounded cool so just thought I'd mention it.

PSN ID
    Jet_Cobra
    The Complete Edition of GTA IV is a good deal cause it comes with all the expansions on the same disc and the DLCs are infinitely more better than the main game so it will keep you busy for a long time.

Mafia 2 is sort of like the Grand Theft Auto series, it is set in the 1940s in a city based off New York and is pretty fun and is only $20
    Last edited by Jet_Cobra; 08-28-2012 at 19:18.

Elite Member
    I'll look into some of those. I forgot to mention, I have played four out of five God of War games (haven't played Ghost of Sparta), three out of four Uncharted games (haven't played the Vita one extensively), Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavy Rain, and both Batman games.

However, I do appreciate the Darksiders recommendation as well as Dead Island, both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, Mafia II, and Star Ocean. Would anyone recommend Eternal Sonata at all? Or Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Sigma 2?

EDIT: Updated the list in the OP with games I forgot to mention.
    Last edited by TRF; 08-28-2012 at 18:11.
    Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!

TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    I'll look into some of those. I forgot to mention, I have played four out of five God of War games (haven't played Ghost of Sparta), three out of four Uncharted games (haven't played the Vita one extensively), Metal Gear Solid 4, Heavy Rain, and both Batman games.

However, I do appreciate the Darksiders recommendation as well as Dead Island, both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, Mafia II, and Star Ocean. Would anyone recommend Eternal Sonata at all? Or Ninja Gaiden Sigma and Sigma 2?

I personally couldn't get into Eternal Sonata, but I guess if you have the stomach for a cutsie looking Japanese RPG, I would imagine its as good as any.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Georges_2251
    Items Final Fantasy Tactics
    Burnout Paradise

I know it's really old but I personally love the game.

13. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    Kingpin326
    Items New User TitlePhotoShopModern Warfare 3Google ChromeUser name styleColeBattlefield 3Assassins Creed Ezio
    Quote Originally Posted by Georges View Post
    Burnout Paradise

I know it's really old but I personally love the game.
    +5

15. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud

I played Eternal Sonata with a friend all the way through. We actually had a lot of fun with it and the story isn't half bad minus the awful voice work. It's odd that a game covers Chopin's life through a dream balancing fictional events as well as describing facts of his life about some of his important pieces of work. If you get past that every character is named something musical and can be corny, you might get a kick out of it. I liked the battle system.

As for Ninja Gaiden Sigma, I couldn't get into that game.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    zex494
    Dragon's Dogma
    Gundam Extreme VS (dont know if that had a US release good thing PS3 region free)
    I had no intentions of becoming a leader. It is as a warrior how I shall be remembered, but these are hardly numbers worth dying for.
    -Zechs Merquise

PSN ID
    ConorHoney
    Hey, I have a few ideas:

All Uncharted's
    Sleeping Dogs (Just came out but can find some good deals on eBay etc.)
    Dead Island
    Batman Arkham City

Have fun choosing, I'd suggest watching the trailers before buying though.

Dedicated Member
    I recommend the entire Metal Gear Solid franchise. Go play it now.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    imINxile
    Dead Space 1 and 2?. A couple of my favorite titles. They're 3rd person shooters which you mentioned you don't really dig..but they are loads of fun, and probably cheap by now.

El Presidente
    I didn't see this mentioned. Max Payne series.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Quote Originally Posted by bigCman123 View Post
    I recommend the entire Metal Gear Solid franchise. Go play it now.
    I second that notion.

Forum Sage
    Items Legend of ZeldaHalf-Life 2Nintendo3DSFinal Fantasy VII
    For sandbox and longevity I'd recommend Just Cause 2, can et cheap as hell too.

24. Likes mynd , boogernose likes this post
    PSN ID
    drking_100
    Demon souls,GTA4 and the dead space saga.
    Ezio is my mentor!

youtube channel og game walkthroughs:http://www.youtube.com/user/Drking100Walkthroug/videos

PSN ID
    siftinglurker88
    Kingdoms of amalur is quite good. playing through it at the moment . loads of quests to keep you busy

PSN ID
    Srg_Slaughter
    Starhawk rules there is so much to do in that games online it is ridiculous.

Thread Information