Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Vegetarian Diet vs Regular Omnivore Diet

Okay nutrition and exercise people, got some questions!

1. Is the vegetarian diet risks worth the change to not eating meat any more?
    2. If a person change to the veggie diet and their hair started falling out, what did they do wrong?
    3. What are some books, sites, and sources that would get someone started on the veggie diet and make sure they're doing it right?
    4. Finally, which diet has the MOST benefits, the veggie diet or the omnivore diet done correctly?

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Veteran
    Items FuturamaLinuxBlizzardUser name style
    2010 Lethal's FF League Champion

3. Likes RaY_210 likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Regardless of the end result in dietary choices, adding in exercise is an important part of overall health/well being,

Obligatory Tapatalk Signature

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    A vegetarian diet is not necessarily a "no meat" diet. There are various types of vegetarian diets. Generally... a completely all veggie, no meat diet is known as a Vegan diet. The Vegan diet is the unhealthiest diet you can possibly be on. It is lacking in vital nutrients that can only be acquired through either animal products such as meat and dairy and every Vegan I've ever met has had some form of malnourishment.

The healthiest diet you can be on is a vegetarian diet that also includes... at the very least... dairy... such as milk or cheese. Omega-3 fatty acids with EPA and DHA can also be supplemented if they are lacking in the diet. Omega-3's (especially fish oil) help increase the viscosity of the cellular membrane of all cells in the entire body, allowing for more efficient nutrient transport/absorption... among other things. Saturated fat, which is the primary nutrient lacking in all Vegan diets... is the heart's primary source of energy, as well as regulating hormones and the endocrine system, etc. I would never under good conscience recommend a Vegan diet to anyone. If you want to go the vegetarian route, please at least eat dairy products.

As for "benefits" of the diet, I'm not sure what you're referring to. If you're referring to diet in regards to weight loss... that's completely dependent upon your calories. Eat healthy, exercise, and maintain your proper caloric intake and you will lose weight.
    Last edited by Brandon; 08-30-2012 at 05:07.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

6. Likes Nitey , MjW likes this post
    Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    You can get fat by eating healthy food. And as PeanutButterMunky already said a Vegetarian diet is not a strictly no meat diet.

The key to being healthy is good balanced food and the key to loosing weight is exercise. The key in staying healthy is both good food and exercise.
    Been eating "healthy" all my life and at one point I weighted ~350 pounds. The doctors were surprised that at the age of 29 I had no health problems whatsoever except of being very obese of course.
    It was a given though that eating so much "healthy" food wasn't healthy. That pretty soon problems would kick in, specially with history of hypertension and diabetes in the family. Anyway now I weigh 225pounds with goal of 210.

I know you weren't asking about loosing weight directly but the most fit people I know are gym goers and are not on any special diet. Sadly I'm not one of those, I'm lazy and I had to have some serious back problems to force me to the gym twice a week.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I say cut out the sauces, salts and sugars. Try having very plain protiens and vegetables. Also aim for wholegrain and brown rice.
    Last edited by mickice; 08-30-2012 at 15:50.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    I personally think that diets are unhealthy and useless. Of course you have pay attention at what you eat but sitting on a diet is not a good option nor very healthy.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    I say cut out the sauces, salts and sugars. Try having very plain protiens and vegetables. Also aim for wholegrain and brown rice.
    Why do you hate tasty food?

11. Likes RaY_210 , BBK.. likes this post
    Administrator
    @ x6teen: You're apparently not aware of the OP's gender.

@ MjW: Exactly. You can eat too much of anything, even healthy food.

@ mickice: Uh... what MATRIX said.

@ Cybertox: Your "diet" is simply what you eat every day. If the diet is unhealthy to stay on for prolonged periods of time, then yes, that makes sense (i.e. the Atkin's Diet). "Dieting" in the context you are using doesn't usually work. It's a lifestyle that requires changing. Dieting is temporary. Choosing to lead a healthier lifestyle is the kicker.
    Last edited by Brandon; 08-30-2012 at 18:22.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Why do you hate tasty food?
    I'm just saying keep it basic, you be surprised how many calories are in sauces or whatever else the food is covered in.
    Try roasted vegetables and maybe 20g of butter, you could do alot worse here.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    I'm just saying keep it basic, you be surprised how many calories are in sauces or whatever else the food is covered in.
    Try roasted vegetables and maybe 20g of butter, you could do alot worse here.
    That's true, if you mostly eat out. But if you cook things yourself you can alter the ingredients to maintain most if not all of the flavor but reduce the excessive calories, fats, salt, ect. content of the sauces.

Forum Sage
    Until you find me a vegetable that tastes and looks as good as that, i'm being a carnivore

As far as i'm concerned, if the plate doesn't have a slab of former animal on it, i'm not interested. As others have pointed out, exercising is your best bet to stay healthy. I'm trying to cycle at least 15-20 miles a day now, just put on a favourite album and ride at a decent pace and it's enjoyable. Also helps me sleep a bit easier, what evidently isn't the case now as i'm wide awake at 02:20

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    I agree BBK, except I like my meat cooked .

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Until you find me a vegetable that tastes and looks as good as that, i'm being a carnivore

As far as i'm concerned, if the plate doesn't have a slab of former animal on it, i'm not interested. As others have pointed out, exercising is your best bet to stay healthy. I'm trying to cycle at least 15-20 miles a day now, just put on a favourite album and ride at a decent pace and it's enjoyable. Also helps me sleep a bit easier, what evidently isn't the case now as i'm wide awake at 02:20
    Are you telling me you have never had a potato.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    I agree BBK, except I like my meat cooked .
    Your not one of those crazy people that like steak well done are you?

Actually, yes, Matrix. I'm quite a fussy eater with vegetables and I rarely eat potatoes or sweet potatoes. Even on a Sunday roast I'd prefer no vegetables (blasphemy to a UK Citizen) though I'll eat them at Christmas if they've been fried in goose fat.

But yeah, I don't see something as a meal if there's no meat - same way I see a salad as a snack and not a meal alternative. Put some chicken into a salad and it's a light meal. What I don't eat in vegetables I make up for in fruit

Edit: I should've said someone who eats predominately meat as I'm clearly not a strictly meat eater. You get my drift though

BBK. Tapatalking.
    Last edited by BBK..; 08-31-2012 at 09:59.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    But yeah, I don't see something as a meal if there's no meat - same way I see a salad as a snack and not a meal alternative. Put some chicken into a salad and it's a light meal. What I don't eat in vegetables I make up for in fruit
    It's not weird eating in an Anglo-Saxon way since you are British and all. In fact all western and north Europe eats in the same Anglo-Saxon fashion. Which roughly translate into a "if there is no meat, it isn't food" mentality.
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    People are getting it wrong..this annoys my sister who has been a vegetarian for over 10 years.

Vegetarian - Someone who eats NO animal meat, but still eats their products like eggs, milk..etc.

Vegan - Someone who eats NO animal meat or NO animal products.

Pescatarian - Someone who eats no animals except they still eat fish which counts as an animal. (This one annoys her the most because she always gets asked if she eats fish when she says she is a vegetarian).
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Medium-well.

Beef on burgers needs to be well done though.

22. Likes RaY_210 likes this post
    Elite Member

Nowadays it is just a lifestyle choice you can be healthy either way and balanced both are just as good.

The boxer who fought with pacman - Timothy Bradley is a vegan and is in fighting athletic shape.

If your hair falls out after a special diet - I would stop the diet...

Forum Sage

Actually, yes, Matrix. I'm quite a fussy eater with vegetables and I rarely eat potatoes or sweet potatoes. Even on a Sunday roast I'd prefer no vegetables (blasphemy to a UK Citizen) though I'll eat them at Christmas if they've been fried in goose fat.

Edit: I should've said someone who eats predominately meat as I'm clearly not a strictly meat eater. You get my drift though

BBK. Tapatalking.
    You are missing out. The potato is the greatest vegetable ever. Also it is the tastiest thing you can fry.

You need to try a properly cooked stuffed baked potato.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Super_Lilith View Post
    Nowadays it is just a lifestyle choice you can be healthy either way and balanced both are just as good.

The boxer who fought with pacman - Timothy Bradley is a vegan and is in fighting athletic shape.

If your hair falls out after a special diet - I would stop the diet...
    The comparison is utterly irrelevant in the face of the biological warfare happening inside the body. You can be an athlete and a Vegan. The two have zero correlation. That's like saying look how hard he punches! And he eats cupcakes! Imma get me some cupcakes!

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    The Vegan diet is the unhealthiest diet you can possibly be on. It is lacking in vital nutrients that can only be acquired through either animal products such as meat and dairy and every Vegan I've ever met has had some form of malnourishment.
    I am very intrigued by this statement. As a practicing Clinical Dietitian with a background of 6+ years of formal education in Nutritional Science, including an advanced degree in nutritional pathophysiology currently in progress - I am very curious how you came to such conclusion? Please elaborate.

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Quote Originally Posted by vegan_mekey View Post
    I am very intrigued by this statement. As a practicing Clinical Dietitian with a background of 6+ years of formal education in Nutritional Science, including an advanced degree in nutritional pathophysiology currently in progress - I am very curious how you came to such conclusion? Please elaborate.
    Last edited by Cybertox; 09-11-2012 at 12:15.

Unbound Mercenary
    Meat, motherfucking meat! Can't live without it, and in the words of my late grandfather, "If you limit what you eat, you won't be able to eat whatever is given to you."
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    The comparison is utterly irrelevant in the face of the biological warfare happening inside the body. You can be an athlete and a Vegan. The two have zero correlation. That's like saying look how hard he punches! And he eats cupcakes! Imma get me some cupcakes!
    Diet plays a very important role in health and fitness, if you think the two have no correlation then I feel sorry for you.

Thread Information