Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go

Sony PlayStation gearing up for an open, cross-platform future?

Sony could be opening up its ‘walled garden’ when it comes to PlayStation gaming

Sony is “rethinking” its PlayStation strategy and moving away from the closed platform that it used for the PS1, PS2 and PS3 consoles.

Jim Ryan, the head of Sony Computer Entertainment in Europe, told MCV, “It’s definitely the case that the old model of these very siloed platforms is breaking down a bit.”

There has been a small shift already, as users who buy certain games on the PS3 can also get a Vita version for free under Sony’s new Cross Buy scheme.

“PS2 was not a connected device. PSP was not really a proper connected device. PS3 is and PS Vita most definitely is. So we have the ability now to have devices talk to each other,” Ryan added.

It looks like Sony may also be planning to provide a broader PlayStation “experience” beyond its branded console and handheld gaming hardware.

“There are obviously lots of people, whether it is on a tablet or a smartphone, playing games; sorts of people who a number of years ago were simply not doing that,” said Ryan. “We think there is a great opportunity to offer consumers a place where they will be assured of a certain level of quality of Android game, presented with a gaming format that is similar to what they’ve experienced in the past.”

Sony now has PlayStation Mobile, a unified banner for its games on the PlayStation Vita and Android tablets and phones.

Then in July, Sony bought the cloud gaming service Gaikai, which hints at a way that Sony could make games available across a range of devices but with a certain amount of control over how they will look and feel to the end users.

It also has Dust 514, a first-person shooter that is free to play and allows PS3 and PC gamers to play together through EVE Online.

“No entertainment industry can just carry on the way it was,” admitted Ryan. “For our industry to thrive and prosper it has to evolve and it has to innovate.”

It’s likely that a yet-to-be-announced PlayStation 4 will still be at the heart of Sony’s gaming platform, but it may not be so isolated from the rest of the world.

How open it can really be, however, will be heavily affected by what other operating systems permit. Apple’s iOS is a tightly closed environment for developers. Windows 8 may also impose its own restrictions, something that Valve and Blizzard have both been highly critical about in the last few weeks.

MCV via Digital Trends
    http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/s...latform-future

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It'd be nice to have a lot of beneficial games via cross play, etc.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Sony are doing a $#@!load of things that interest da $#@! out of me at the moment. The cross play/control/buy features of Vita as well as the cross platform blending of titles like Portal 2 and the more ambitious Dust 514 are super cool in ole Ghosties eyes. I guess that's the benefit of having a free open online infrastructure. May not give you XCG but allows you to do a $#@! load of other cool things.

Soldier 95B
    Love it love it! I am glad the console makers are moving towards this. It is a win win!

Master Guru
    I wish PS3/360/Wii/PC gamers could play against each other online.

I so badly want to shut down PC gamers in particular with my Dualshock who think they'll beat me with mouse/keyboard.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post

I so badly want to shut down PC gamers in particular with my Dualshock who think they'll beat me with mouse/keyboard.
    Contrary to what PC elitists say, its actually more DIFFICULT to play with controllers. Mouse and keyboard makes it really easy to aim. It takes more skill to be good at console shooters compared to PC shooters.

I have first hand experience of this. After player PC shooters I go back to ps3 and my aim goes to hell

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I'm WAY better at FPS games with Move+Sharpshooter. DS controllers can't compare to K/M & Move imo. I'm going to buy a K/M and try it with Dust sometime this week.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post

Challenge accepted

Good players on console can hold their own against an average player on PC. when my friend got into PC gaming when BLOPS came out he played with a 360 pad cause he couldn't get used to a M/KB but he went from having a 3.6KDR on MW2 to just above 1 KDR on PC until he got to grips with Mouse and Keyboard.

You'd certainly hold your own if your a decent player but you won't be dominating any matches, pads are far to inaccurate and slow for if to be a fair game

Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    Contrary to what PC elitists say, its actually more DIFFICULT to play with controllers. Mouse and keyboard makes it really easy to aim. It takes more skill to be good at console shooters compared to PC shooters.

I have first hand experience of this. After player PC shooters I go back to ps3 and my aim goes to hell

Who ever said it was difficult? Mouse and Keyboard is certainly the easiest to play with and feels natural. My uncle a gamer since before I was born but has always played mainly PC game genres (FPS, RTS, MMO's ect) and he gets baffled by the analog sticks. He can't get to grips with them for shooters

I'm getting to the stage where I dislike playing a competitive shooter with a pad now, I can't turn around fast enough and it gets right on my tits!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I'm WAY better at FPS games with Move+Sharpshooter. DS controllers can't compare to K/M & Move imo. I'm going to buy a K/M and try it with Dust sometime this week.
    Y'know I STILL need to get around to having a go on that set up. Heard nothing but good from everyone that used it!!

I long for the day that gamers can play other gamers regardless of the system they play on. Imagine how quickly lobbies would be filled and how many potential people you could play with!!

BBK. Tapatalking.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Y'know I STILL need to get around to having a go on that set up. Heard nothing but good from everyone that used it!!

I long for the day that gamers can play other gamers regardless of the system they play on. Imagine how quickly lobbies would be filled and how many potential people you could play with!!

BBK. Tapatalking.
    It's not for everyone. The 2 most important things to your Move+SS experience are playing with the settings and learning a new kind of hand eye coordination. If you play with the stock settings for Move, it controls like ASS. The dead zones are $#@!ed so you have to point the Move way to the side of the screen to turn. Once you reduce the dead zones and tweak the sensitivity to your liking, it's ace. The other thing is the hand eye coordination. It takes a bit of practice getting used to track with the Move but it offers a level of accuracy that the DS only dreams about.

Using the Sharpshooter is badass for me. I love it. Something about pulling that trigger to fire is pure win when I game.

It's a mixed bag, people either love it or hate it. Those that love it are those who take the time to play with the settings. When you hit that sweet spot, Move offers a kind of immersion that I don't get with DS. I'm hoping like hell that Gearbox patch in support for Borderlands and Aliens. CEO Pitchford said he loves Move and would like to add such an interface with their games. Aliens would be especially badass, as the SS is practically a pulse rifle lol COuld even do the pump action grenade launcher.

Thread Information