Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Elite Member

The skill of a good designer is to add something that we thought we didn't need but now can't live without.

Not all games need multiplayer, but if you are going to do it, design it so it works well. If it doesn't you only have yourself to blame.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis79 View Post
    I'm sorry, but the MP part of MGS4 did NOT take anything away from the single player game. They took a product that had already been out in MGO, and rebuilt it for the PS3. I highly doubt they were even the same dev teams. MGO was a separate entity that just happened to be accessed through the MGS4 disc.
    Agreed. I have no issues with adding multiplayer to games. It is optional. Nobody is forcing you to play the multiplayer.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    $#@! MP, i hate when games which are soley SP games get MP tacked on.
    This.

I have no problem when a game like Madden or GT have MP. But if it's something like RPGs or God of wAr, or any game that doesn't really require it - then it potentially takes away focus and time (which can be construed in loss of quality of the end product) on the main game.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Ultimate Veteran
    I mentioned in my own thread that I couldn't quite find the multiplayer experience for me. And the problem isn't necessarily that the multiplayer is tacked on but that you don't really see anything outside of the shooter genre these days. Even if you add team-based objectives, it's the same old grind.

Then you have a problem with balance. You can design a really good multiplayer experience only to have your single-player experience fall short (i.e. Battlefield 3). 3-5 hours, forgettable story, cardboard characters etc.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 08-30-2012 at 23:42.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

5. Likes Fon , Admartian likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items User name style
    Sure, if you're fat can't move and don't have any friends I'm sure it would be

Huge thanks to my awesome friend Finalreaper for the sig!!

Forum Overseer
    Sensationalist headline. The title implies that all multiplayer games/modes are a waste of money. Untrue.

In fact, it was taken out of context from an argument that is speaking about something completely different.

Headline won, if they had written it correctly, I may have ignored it. Now I'll be pissy all day. Great.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Sensationalist headline. The title implies that all multiplayer games/modes are a waste of money. Untrue.

In fact, it was taken out of context from an argument that is speaking about something completely different.

Headline won, if they had written it correctly, I may have ignored it. Now I'll be pissy all day. Great.
    Except that it wasn't taken out of context. I shared my opinion in regards to the article. The rest was an opportunity to open a discussion in regards to multiplayer in general. While some games do thrive from it, others that are(Or should be) single player focused do not.

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    Except that it wasn't taken out of context. I shared my opinion in regards to the article. The rest was an opportunity to open a discussion in regards to multiplayer in general. While some games do thrive from it, others that are(Or should be) single player focused do not.
    It's been taken WAY out of context to be precise. One dev team claimed the multiplayer to be a waste of money for one of their games.

Why do people come into the thread? Because the headline makes it seem that multiplayer in general is a waste of resources.

Would have been better if you didn't mention the original article and instead put a question mark behind the heading.
    Last edited by Wrath; 09-06-2012 at 15:27.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    It's been taken WAY out of context to be precise. One dev team claimed the multiplayer to be a waste of money for one of their games.

Why do people come into the thread? Because the headline makes it seem that multiplayer in general is a waste of resources.

Would have been better if you didn't mention the original article and instead put a question mark behind the heading.
    But it wasn't. If you read his blurb after the article, he explains that he wants to open up the discussion to multiplayer in general.

On topic: given my situation, one would think I love multiplayer. I used to play multiplayer games with my friends all the time back in the day. WCW vs. NWO games, Goldeneye 64, Twisted Metal: Black, Madden games, etc. And now, everyone's doing their own thing. But I don't care for online MP. When I got my PS3, I got MW3 with the assumption that I'd play a good amount of MP with my cousins, who have been telling me I need to get a PS3 because they all had one. I ended up playing the single player campaign, and got online only a handful of times. So even with games that focus on MP, its a waste for me lol.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    As from the article, wow that's some brutal honesty about his product. I haven't played Spec-ops, so no clue about that stuff.

As for multiplayer in general, I think some games survive on it. For example, FPS games, I don't think you could release a game that had no multiplayer component in this gen. With how much games cost to develop, if a shooter released without MP, it would probably be ignored by gamers too busy playing the juggernauts such as BF3, COD, Halo, etc. Not to mention how saturated the market is with shooters, unless the shooter has some amazing game mechanic, style or gimmick, it would probably just find its way in the bargain bin.

Another thing to note about MP in general, a lot of companies have whole different teams/dev companies working on the MP portion of games. So having a MP component does not necessarily mean the SP product is affected by what might be a mediocre MP portion.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by RaY_210 View Post
    But it wasn't. If you read his blurb after the article, he explains that he wants to open up the discussion to multiplayer in general.
    I know he did. However, the thread title itself is still linked to what the developers particularly said about their own game. It doesn't reflect the sentiment that was brought up by the OP in his blurb after the article.

Hence, a question mark behind the title would be better.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    I know he did. However, the thread title itself is still linked to what the developers particularly said about their own game. It doesn't reflect the sentiment that was brought up by the OP in his blurb after the article.

Hence, a question mark behind the title would be better.
    Fair enough
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

14. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Forum Overseer
    I'm speaking in regards to the author of this article.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    imINxile
    The biggest problem I have with multiplayer(and I'm sure others do as well), is that I only have so much time to dedicate to it. I usually carefully choose 1, maybe 2 games a year to dive into online. Most of my collections multiplayer ends up neglected.

What really drives me mad is games where half the trophies are online..I don't have time for that business.

Master Guru

You obviously didn't read my comments to have come to such conclusion. Take the headline how you wish.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi
    I'm speaking in regards to the author of this article.
    Oh, disregard what I said then.

Master Guru
    You obviously didn't read my comments to have come to such conclusion. Take the headline how you wish.
    Better yet, read my comments for once instead of continuously giving me a one-liner that does not add anything substantial. I've made my point clear enough.

Ultimate Veteran
    I think you guys just misunderstood each other. No need to get heated.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Master Guru
    Oh well, time to move on for me.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I think you guys just misunderstood each other. No need to get heated.
    I don't believe that it was evolving to this.

Okay, that was an exaggeration. I'll respect his wishes and move on.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Resistance Fall of Man had every thing from a warm single player experience to a hardcore multiplayer system except the women

Other than that, videogames are just losing their value and aren't given enough time while being developed. It's all about business and huge money gains.

Thread Information