Hybrid View

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style

Multiplayer - A waste of money

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/29/sp...-waste-of-mon/

Quote Originally Posted by Joystiq
    Spec Ops: The Line lead designer Cory Davis slammed his game's multiplayer in a recent interview, describing it as a "low-quality Call of Duty clone in third-person" and a "waste of money." Davis told The Verge the outsourced mode was just a financially motivated "checkbox" for publisher 2K Games, and that the low number of multiplayer users, coupled with the mode's distinct tone and feel, casts "cancerous" aspersions on the whole game.

Davis revealed 2K insisted on the shooter having multiplayer, but the mode was far from a priority for developer Yager, and went against Davis' vision for the game. Nonetheless, the mode was greenlighted and then outsourced to Darkside Studios. Darkside is a small developer most notable for designing Borderlands' fourth add-on, "Claptrap's New Robot Revolution." Davis is clearly furious with the results.

"It sheds a negative light on all of the meaningful things we did in the single-player experience," Davis said. "The multiplayer game's tone is entirely different, the game mechanics were raped to make it happen, and it was a waste of money. No one is playing it, and I don't even feel like it's part of the overall package. It's another game rammed onto the disk like a cancerous growth, threatening to destroy the best things about the experience that the team at Yager put their heart and souls into creating."
    Per the title, I want to make this into a general discussion regarding multiplayer. In response to the article itself, I haven't had the chance to play Spec-Ops: The Line but I have heard a handful of negative comments, mainly from the multiplayer experience so hearing those start to bum people out and end up disregarding the game completely(Not all of course).

Personally I feel like not every game needs a multiplayer - Adding something that is completely irrelevant to your ideas should never be implemented and will only bring disastrous results. It's wasted resources and money. Above all it could potentially degrade the game's overall quality.

What are your thoughts on the article and/or multiplayer in every game?.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    clear_as_night
    Items User name style
    Wow! He's pretty vocal about own game! Kudos for his honesty though. I definately agree that not all games need multiplayer and when I heard uncharted was going to have it I feared the worst but thankfully ND didnt let it affect the single player experience whatsoever. I didn't play the MP other than to get some of the trophies... I bought the game for the single player.

MGS4 didn't need MP but they still went ahead. It should never be done if it's tacked on. It has to be built and intergrated from the start for it to work in most games.

I don't know how you guys feel but now I'm older I feel like I have to dedicate my MP experience to certain games just because I don't have enough time! Online gaming sucks up so much more time than the SP counterpart. I have close to 10 days on BLOPS Multiplayer... Can't imagine anyone putting that much time into its single player!

PSN ID: clear_as_night
    "XBOX IS ABOUT TO BECOME THE NEXT WATER COOLER" ~ NANCY TELLEM, ENTERTAINMENT AND DIGITAL MEDIA PRESIDENT OF MICROSOFT

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I think this is a really interesting thing for the devs to bring up. Like you've both said, so many games have unnecessary multiplayer modes. Dead Space 2, Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 3. List goes on.

I think for a game like this, which critics have said is quite a great game with a very gripping story - it shouldn't even need MP to help sell it and that money could have easily been used to enhance the SP experience. I really want this game as friends I trust said its awesome and I do plan to pick it up. But I never have had the intention or interest to even bother touching the multiplayer. This game is cheapest on 360 and I don't even have Gold :P

the_jim, yeah I agree, as I'm getting older and starting to have more and more commitments I only play MP with my buddies which is certain titles that we play at night like CS:GO, TF2 and LoL. In fact since getting a new PC I only play MP on PC

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Very few games can pull off a good story AND a good multiplayer experience.

CoD4 did it. Uncharted did it. Halo did it. ... and I'm drawing a blank past that.

There needs to be intent. If a game is being designed mainly for multiplayer and they put a campaign in there as a tack on, then it's better off being mp-only as the story will likely be $#@! anyway. Same goes for a game designed for story.

Even though they pulled it off, putting MP into Uncharted was a bad idea IMO.

Side note: "low quality Call of Duty clone" may be the most redundant statement I've ever heard.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Call of Duty
    Halo
    Gears
    Killzone
    GT
    Forza
    MLB
    Madden
    FIFA
    NHL
    NBA
    Warhawk
    LBP

The list can go on of great series' that have great MP.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    ^ all true F34R, but I think you missed the point. Which was that not every game needs it or should have it for that matter. Much of the time its outsourced and tacked on

Unbound Mercenary
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    ^ all true F34R, but I think you missed the point. Which was that not every game needs it or should have it for that matter. Much of the time its outsourced and tacked on
    The problem is that no one would know if the multiplayer fits in the game or not until they have sold it, and at that point its too late.

Game companies are coming to the realization that games with multiplayer will sell better then games without because it provides 10x the amount of time a person would put into the game.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Dedicated Member

I love multiplayer if it's done right and I would love it more if I had more free time! But, I'll admit a game like Dead space 2 didn't thrill me too much. I played the MP twice and then I went right back to the SP campaign. Now if it was Co-op, like the next installment is supposed to be then maybe it'll be a lot more fun to me. Like Resident Evil Co-op which can be a blast with the right friend.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Well, of course not every game NEEDS it. All those games NEED it though lol.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    indeed having FIFA or Gran Turismo without multiplayer would be ludicrous.

I would say Uncharted is a game that doesn't need multiplayer, its such a polished and well scripted and well made single player.
    Last edited by keefy; 08-30-2012 at 13:05.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Georges_2251
    Items Final Fantasy Tactics
    Some games do need multiplayer, some don't. I don't use it either way because of my sub-par connection.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Thing is, some games deserve MP much more than others.

Imagine games like just cause 2 with a 20 player free roam...

That would be epic.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by LfCpS3 View Post
    Thing is, some games deserve MP much more than others.

Imagine games like just cause 2 with a 20 player free roam...

That would be epic.
    20 player free roam? Thats cute, watch this 600 player JC2 multiplayer gameplay. Servers support upto 1000 players

It's true though, not all games need multiplayer but as long as it doesn't take quality away from the main singleplayer portion, i don't have a problem with it. I never once touched the multiplayer of ME3 and i don't intend on touching it either.
    Last edited by BBK..; 08-30-2012 at 15:40.

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    20 player free roam? Thats cute, watch this 600 player JC2 multiplayer gameplay. Servers support upto 1000 players

It's true though, not all games need multiplayer but as long as it doesn't take quality away from the main singleplayer portion, i don't have a problem with it. I never once touched the multiplayer of ME3 and i don't intend on touching it either.
    Well my 20 player free-roam mention was more about making it available on the console

I signed up for this but forget to participate, looks amazing and is the reason why i think JC2 could be so much better with MP.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    $#@! MP, i hate when games which are soley SP games get MP tacked on.

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    $#@! MP, i hate when games which are soley SP games get MP tacked on.
    This.

I have no problem when a game like Madden or GT have MP. But if it's something like RPGs or God of wAr, or any game that doesn't really require it - then it potentially takes away focus and time (which can be construed in loss of quality of the end product) on the main game.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Some games of course need it. Other games that are purely a sp experience that just crams a mp mode that makes no sense should save their time and money.

Some games need to throw in local multiplayer too. It's disappointing how devs are stepping away from local multiplayer and just have a game with online only multiplayer.

When i got BF3 i had a couple friends come over and they wanted to play it. When i found it was online only i almost threw the controller at the TV. No reason why racers and shooters shouldn't have local mp

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    I don't think all games need multiplayer but co-op would be a nice addition.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Soldier 95B
    MAG needs multiplayer.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    uberman6352
    The only games that I play are multiplayer ones...

“Thank you Mario! But our Princess is in another castle!” (Super Mario Bros.)
    "Why not take a break? You can pause the game by pressing +." (Wii Sports)
    “It’s super effective!” (Pokemon series)

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Like, DarkVincent07 said, my point here is that not all games need Multiplayer. If a studio is focused on single player then they should invest their efforts on that then a multiplayer that could potentially ruin the overall value of their game. Uncharted got off lucky but I get the feeling that Uncharted 3 could have been a much greater experience without the multiplayer.

Metal Gear Solid 4, Bioshock, Dead Space 2, Assassin's Creed, Crysis 2 and Medal of Honor(To name a few), could have done well or better without multiplayer and instead increase the SP experience. Games can sell even better if they take their investments in something that will leave a lasting impression instead of gambling it on a multiplayer that people will most likely not touch after a while or use it as the basis to the game's image.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    Like, DarkVincent07 said, my point here is that not all games need Multiplayer. If a studio is focused on single player then they should invest their efforts on that then a multiplayer that could potentially ruin the overall value of their game. Uncharted got off lucky but I get the feeling that Uncharted 3 could have been a much greater experience without the multiplayer.

Metal Gear Solid 4, Bioshock, Dead Space 2, Assassin's Creed, Crysis 2 and Medal of Honor(To name a few), could have done well or better without multiplayer and instead increase the SP experience. Games can sell even better if they take their investments in something that will leave a lasting impression instead of gambling it on a multiplayer that people will most likely not touch after a while or use it as the basis to the game's image.
    That's a great point.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Wolfenstein comes to mind when i read this.
    Imo if you have to outsource the MP mode you should scratch it completely.

Even Dead Space 2 had MP... i didn't try it once.

Next big fail on the horizon -> God of War

Tapatalkin'

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by zzKurozz View Post
    I don't think all games need multiplayer but co-op would be a nice addition.
    I think some games could def benefit from multiplayer co op that was my favorite feature in the first resistance for Ps3.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Forum Sage
    Games like MAG had best part of 256 people didn't it? Hopefully next gen the PS4/XB3 will support more players.

Thread Information