Earthbound
    Items Final Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Official Thread - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Official Extended E3 2013 Trailer:

Official GDC 2013 Trailer:

Gameplay Demo (also from GDC 2013):

Quote Originally Posted by HIDEO_KOJIMA
    "Ground Zeroes" is a prologue of "MGSV". 9 years after that event will be "The Phantom Pain". MGSV is constructed w/ prologue and main game "TPP". The game play demo I presented today is the opening of "TPP" which is tutorial that starts from crawling.
    Debut Trailer:

Official Website

"Snake" at the 25th Metal Gear anniversary:

Hideo Kojima talks Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

The Phantom Pain Mystery

“There are several reasons for this. One I think because core fans, myself included, wanted to do something interesting in the social space. I think it’s been kind of dull lately, and we wanted to do something to really energize the community. The second reason for doing this is, we wanted to evaluate the FOX Engine. We wanted to put the game out without revealing it was Metal Gear Solid, and just see how well it will do based on the visuals of the FOX Engine.”

“Honestly, we knew that people were going to know what it was, more or less, but we were surprised that they were actually able to guess the exact title. We knew from the beginning that it wouldn’t be a secret. We wanted fans to realize this was kind of a service to the fans as an inside joke, like ‘hey, we know you know what it is, just play along with it.’ And we’re happy fans did realize what it was and did play along with it.”

Two Game Confusion

“To explain on how these things fit together, Ground Zeroes is basically a prologue. And this takes place about nine years prior to The Phantom Pain. The Phantom Pain takes place nine years after Ground Zeroes, but put together, these two pieces comprise Metal Gear Solid V. The Phantom Pain is the main part of the game, it’s really a huge game.

“We can’t comment just yet on how these things will be distributed and sold. But what we can say is that The Phantom Pain and Ground Zeroes will be two parts of a whole, and Ground Zeroes will come first. It will kind of The Phantom Pain on a smaller scale. It will be open-world, but not quite as big as The Phantom Pain. It will allow you to jump in, learn how to sneak real-time in that open-world, and later on, after they kind of get used to that, then The Phantom Pain will come along and they’ll be thrown into this huge, gigantic open word. It’s a two-step process, the game design, and together these things will comprise of Metal Gear Solid V.”

[Editor's note: Kojima Productions' Kenichiro Imaizumi told me they're both the "same" game.]

Setting

“Ground Zeroes takes place almost immediately after Peace Walker, and then main part of the game, The Phantom Pain, takes place almost nine years later.”

David Hayter

“I can say that yes, there will be a new person [playing Snake], but I can’t say who yet.

“What we’re trying to accomplish is to recreate the Metal Gear series, it’s a new type of Metal Gear game and we want to have this reflected in the voice actor as well.”

Diamond Dogs

“There are many different meanings behind this name. I think you touched on a few of them [Blood Diamonds], and of course there’s the David Bowie album, as well. This is the name of his [Snake's] new unit. He loses his old unit, so he has to create a new one. This is the name. The name signifies many things. The ‘dog’ in Diamond Dogs is like a dog of war, who will work for money and do dirty things. But at the same time, they have pride, and that’s where ‘diamonds’ come in. They fight, and they fight for money maybe, but they have a heart.”

Snake’s Horn

“He actually has some debris embedded into his skull. Debris and bone, as well.”

Cyborg-like Arm

“There will be different ways that, depending on the player, they may be able to do different things with that arm. It’s not going to be anything quite like Bionic Commando [laughs].”

Characters

“There will be many new characters. I think fans can expect to see some familiar faces, as well, returning from the old saga. But Yoji Shinkawa has been working on some new characters, as well. And I think it’s a different taste from what he’s done in the past.”

Style of Gameplay

“Metal Gear Solid has always been based around this concept of sneaking and infiltration. But up until now, it’s very much been kind of like a story on rails. You sneak in, but you’re kind of limited to what you can do. This time, we wanted to create a real open world and a realistic infiltration. So you don’t just suddenly show up at the stage and sneak in, you figure out when you’re going to go to the place and sneak in, and figure out how you’re going to get there. Maybe you don’t go there right away, maybe you side-track and do a side-mission along the way. And if you do that, the strategy will change by the time you get to your final objective. So it’s more of a realistic approach to infiltration and there are many options available to the player. And it’s not something that’s very limited to a certain design. It’s a completely free design and very realistic.

“As an example, say the player has to sneak into a certain area and help a certain person, and they show up at night, it may be dark and they may have a hard time seeing anything. So they may want to use Jeep headlights to see. But if they do that, they’ll probably be found. So maybe they try to use a flashlight and sneak in. There’s still a chance that they may be found. But there will be less guards than if you went in during the day. On the other hand, if you went in during the day, it may be easier to navigate. You can see everything much more clearly. But of course, there will be more guards there and it will be much easier for you to be found. It’s up to the player to decide the best strategy to infiltrate a certain area. As we showed in the FOX presentation, time passes within the game in real-time, a 24-hour time cycle, so it’s up to the player to decide what time they embark on a mission.”

Design

“One thing I want to make clear, just graphics, that wasn’t our goal in creating the FOX Engine. We wanted to change the entire way we create a game. Up until Metal Gear Solid 4, we approached game creation sort of as craftsman and worked on every single little detail by hand and put a lot of detail into everything. And while that’s great, we want to use technology to our advantage and make it easier to create a game. FOX Engine was designed to work more efficiently and give us this boost of technology. We wanted to really shift the amount of time it took creating the game—from creating assets—to actually doing the game design. In the past, maybe a programmer would spend a lot of time creating a certain system or asset. Now a level designer can go in there and create a stage on their own—they can create a stage, they can do the lighting, and pretty much create a stage by themselves. Really, the time goes from asset creation to programming to actual game design and allows us to focus more on the game design.”

Roman Numeral

“Up until Metal Gear Solid 1 through 4, of course, we used regular Arabic numerals. But since then, the west has really caught up. And I think in many ways, we’re threatened by games from the west. There’s a lot of competition out there. So we really wanted to reinvent ourselves with this game, really invent the series. So shifting over from ’5′ to ‘V’ represents our will for victory—’V’ stands for ‘Victory.’ And that’s what we want to accomplish with this game, kind of take back our leadership and stride for victory.”

Theme

“I do have a concept and a theme in mind, from the beginning I’ve had this in my mind, but I can’t say it. I can’t reveal that just yet. What I can say that is Metal Gear has always been about these themes of anti-war, anti-nuke, it’s always had these messages, and it’s always about what’s passed on to the next generation. Metal Gear Solid 1 was about genes, 2 was about means, 3 was scenes, 4 was sense, and Peace Walker was peace. So of course, you know, Metal Gear Solid V does have a key concept, as well, but I can’t reveal it just yet. I can say that it’s a very heavy theme.”

Playable Characters

“You’ll be playing as one character. No Raiden—you can play Revengeance for that. You wake up [in the hospital during The Phantom Pain scene], you’re Snake waking up, and that’s how you enter Metal Gear Solid V.”

Supernatural

“There of course will be a balance between things that are very real and a little bit of supernatural elements, as well. But it will be primarily real. That said, it does take place nine years later and roughly around 1984, that era, and there are instances from that era within this game. If I were to give percentage for the balance, I’d say maybe 80 percent real, the other 20 percent maybe sci-fi or a little bit of supernatural elements.”

Moby **** Studios

“I wouldn’t say they cease to exist [anymore] because Moby **** Studio is Kojima Productions. We’re still around. Honestly, I really would have liked to have a studio in Sweden, it’s a really nice place, but as of right now, we’re developing this in Tokyo and in Los Angeles.”

“It’s not necessarily that. I do want the L.A. Studio to have other things to work on, as well. So it’s not necessarily that we’ll be working on the same exact thing. In the beginning, I’m thinking as the L.A. Studio gets up to speed on the FOX Engine, I think we’ll working together on many different things. There will be a collaborative effort there. But my ultimate vision is that the Tokyo team and Los Angeles team will be working on different things, growing together, competing with each other in many ways, so you know, in a sense, Kojima Productions will no longer just be a Tokyo studio, it will exist somewhere in between Tokyo and Los Angeles. It will be the culmination of these two studios.”

Concept

“As far as how much has changed, it honestly has not changed very much from my concept at all. Obviously, from within the team, there were some people who opposed from taking Metal Gear Solid and making it into an open world game. But I think now we’re all on the same page and we’re all moving full-speed ahead toward the same goal.”

PlayStation 4 and Next-Gen

“I can’t comment on any next-gen platforms, but what I can say is as we’ve revealed earlier today, this will be available on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. And of course, we’re developing within a PC environment.

“What you’ve seen today is, of course, moving on a PC, but it’s being targeted on current gen consoles. I can’t say that it will be 100 percent exactly what you’ve seen today, but it will be very close to what you’ve seen.”

“Last Metal Gear”

“I want this to be my last one. Of course, I always say that, but this time I really want it to be true. You know, after this, I really want the Tokyo team and the L.A. team to focus on their own, take over Metal Gear, and create new games in the series while I’m free to work on my own projects. For about 10 years, I’ve had all these ideas in my head that I want to create, so hopefully I will be able to work on that.”
    Details:

Open world
    Unveiled through a real-time Fox engine demo
    Demo ran on a PC using 'roughly the same specs' as current hardware
    [Originally] Targeted for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360
    The story will take place following the events of Peace Walker

Last edited by Black; 06-13-2013 at 18:53.
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post
    DC is the hero PSU deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll ban him, because he can take it. Because he's not a hero. He's a single guardian, a watchful protector. The DC.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    I just got a tingle down my spine.

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

3. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    The force is strong today.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    clear_as_night
    Items User name style
    Is this a public event? This "anniversary bash"? Can anybody fill us in on what's going on?! I have to see this game!!!!

PSN ID: clear_as_night
    "XBOX IS ABOUT TO BECOME THE NEXT WATER COOLER" ~ NANCY TELLEM, ENTERTAINMENT AND DIGITAL MEDIA PRESIDENT OF MICROSOFT

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Haha where are those who say MGS should die? MGS FOREVER!
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

7. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Can't we get a f*****g TRAILER!!!!

9. Likes bigCman123 likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    It's got to be better then that horrible interactive movie MGS4.

Theres a picture from famitsu I'd like to upload but if this site wasn't so awful I could upload it. I can't click the damn icons.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Versus View Post
    It's got to be better then that horrible interactive movie MGS4.

Theres a picture from famitsu I'd like to upload but if this site wasn't so awful I could upload it. I can't click the damn icons.
    People who are upset about the cinematic nature of MGS4 probably didn't play the series before it. If they did, they would have known that MGS is one of the IPs that pioneered in games.

I wuv you Big Boss!
    Last edited by Ghost; 08-30-2012 at 10:25.

12. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Is this PS exclusive?

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by nofear01 View Post
    Is this PS exclusive?
    Nah it's multi plat. KP arent doing exclusives any more.

Home Theater Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    There is a rumour going on that this will also be released on Xbox 720 and Wii U.

Where's PS4?!

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    There is a rumour going on that this will also be released on Xbox 720 and Wii U.

Where's PS4?!
    I doubt this title will be ported to next gen consoles. I'd take that rumor with a pinch of salt. A wii U port is likely though.

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style

Looks like a blend of MGS and Splinter Cell (back when it wasn't garbage).

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I doubt this title will be ported to next gen consoles. I'd take that rumor with a pinch of salt. A wii U port is likely though.
    I'd sooner doubt that this would be released on current-gen consoles.

18. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    People who are upset about the cinematic nature of MGS4 probably didn't play the series before it. If they did, they would have known that MGS is one of the IPs that pioneered in games.

I wuv you Big Boss!
    KNEW IT !! I ****ING KNEW IT !!!

Big Boss on the PS3 AT LAST !!! My body is most definitely ready...looks like the open world rumours are true. I just hope they are going to release SOMETHING for the public to drool over.

Also, I know its a little thing but I hope they put 5 in the title, just to make it more official.
    Last edited by Dave-The-Rave; 08-30-2012 at 13:34.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

20. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    I guess we will have to wait for the next gen to play this game on consoles?

Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    The recent Metal Gear 25th Anniversary event at the Tokyo Midtown building did not only chronicle the history of the series in dramatic fashion and showed off new bits of Metal Gear Rising, but also introduced the next installment of the Metal Gear Solid series, complete with new workings of the new Fox Engine done up by Kojima Productions. While we can't actually show you the footage of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes that was shown since we were told not to do direct filming, at least we can tell you about what we saw during the 20 minute demo.

The scene starts in a remote military base with heavy rain. The camera is following a shadowy figure in a business suit and hat accompanied by a number of well-armed soldiers and guard dogs as he converses with a little boy in a cage. He throws a portable music player after some dialogue and the boy proceeded to use it. The rest of the scene was playing "Here's To You" from the film "Sacco e Vanzetti" (also on Metal Gear Solid 4) as the man in a coat rides off to an airfield before taking off on a helicopter to an undisclosed location. Before erasing the "XOF" emblem off of the helicopter, he took out his hat and speaks about what transpired in very vague words. His face and head was all burned-up and scarred with no hair; at this point in time, we have no idea who he is. He proceeded to toss away all a stash of mini "XOF" emblems as he flew off with the rest of the soldiers.

After that, out comes a spy climbing from a cliffside near the base followed by the subtitles "From FOX, two phantoms were born". As he flips up his visors, we saw the trademark eyepatch and gruff face with the facial hair: Solid Snake seems to be back at a glance. He's referred to as Snake; no, not Solid Snake, Old Snake or Naked Snake, just Snake at the moment, so there's a chance that he could be some clone or someone posing as Solid Snake. Whatever the case, he definitely looks much younger than Old Snake in Metal Gear Solid 4. Old-school fans yearning for the days of a nimbler stealth action hero can sigh with relief at this revelation.

Series creator Hideo Kojima then took centrestage and showed off the title's gameplay for a few minutes. We see Snake do what he does best: go in a prone state and sneak around (no Octocam this time; just old-fashioned crawling and hiding), as well as going into aiming mode in third person shooting a nearby guard at a security post. We should also mention that the demo gave out a sandbox open-world vibe; the military base itself felt expansive and huge, and Snake can summon a helicopter to bring him around as well as drive a jeep to go from point A to B. Kojima did state that he wishes to add a new spin to the stealth genre; even when you're discovered, you can use all the means and tools to escape rather than see a "game over" screen.

We would love to see how future demos of this would unfold; adding a sandbox element to the story-heavy Metal Gear series and having everything open-ended seems like a daunting task.We have to also state that the Fox engine looked really, really good. Everything about the demo was completely real-time. The demo itself was running on a PC and was played using an Xbox 360 controller. Nothing was spared in terms of detailing and fidelity, from the lighting and shadows during Snake's sneaking bits to the vehicles and character models in motion during the heavy rain. So far the game and its engine was designed with the PS3 and Xbox 360 in mind, but Kojima stated that the engine itself will cater itself for next gen consoles.

No release date has been announced for this upcoming entry in the Metal Gear series. We don't even know if Kojima may even pull a protagonist switcheroo ala Metal Gear Solid 2, or if the open-world concept will gel well with the already vague and cryptic narrative. We don't even know which era this is all taking place in, although we gathered that it was set in a modern period, what with the jeeps and helicopters. What we can say is that Snake is back in the game and fans can look forward to more current gen tactical espionage action.
    via Gamespot.
    Last edited by Black; 08-30-2012 at 14:13.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    solid1snake67
    no it's going to be on the ps3, i think there at pax prime and it's an open event if you could get a ticket to go to tokyo but correct me if im wrong. kojima is pushing the ps3 yet again with the fox engine. im excited!! and yeah people who havent played the MGs series before this one won't understand the cinematics of the game

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    I'm at lost of words..

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Soldier 95B
    o far the game and its engine was designed with the PS3 and Xbox 360 in mind, but Kojima stated that the engine itself will cater itself for next gen consoles.
    Sweet! We can play them this gen! It will be nice to see this engine on the 360/PS3, I bet it will push them hard.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    solid1snake67
    After that, out comes a spy climbing from a cliffside near the base
    that's from Metal gear 2 solid snake on msx version finally we get to play as snake this gen

***** dweller
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    I hate these "Behind closed doors" BS this industry has been doing. Show your paying customers a damn trailer!.

28. Likes Dave-The-Rave likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    I swear, I was actually wishing that an open world Metal Gear Solid-like game would be made, and then I wake up and Kojima announced this. Holy ****! This sounds amazing, and the Fox engine looks like a powerhouse of an engine. The lighting and rain, etc look awesome in that picture of Big Boss. I really hope we get to see other characters like Eva, Zero, Ocelot, Miller, Campbell, other characters associated with Big Boss, etc.

I really want to see some gameplay.

Dedicated Member

I wuv you Big Boss!

I played almost every mgs game and I hated all the cut scenes in mgs4. They dragged it on way too long.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by billm0066 View Post
    I played almost every mgs game and I hated all the cut scenes in mgs4. They dragged it on way too long.
    What were you expecting for the swan song title of a story spanning over 2 decades? lol There's no way they were going to skimp.

32. Likes Lebowski , bigCman123 likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    I can see it now.......

9 hours gameplay
    30 hours of cut scenes...lol J/K

Even with those long cut scenes, I enjoyed MGS4 and I'm looking forward to this one.

Thread Information