Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 79
  1. #1
    PSU Editor-in-chief
    KyleOnTheRun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    PSN ID
    geist226
    Posts
    3,607
    Rep Power
    34
    Items User name styleFull Metal AlchemistYunaGuerrilla GamesNaughty DogDaft PunkDeus Ex HR AdamAtlusFinal Fantasy X

    PSU - Bethesda on Dawnguard PS3: 'This is not a problem we're positive we can solve'

    Read more here: http://www.psu.com/a016765/Bethesda-...e-we-can-solve

    It has been troubled times for PS3 owners of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. The game's rocky launch was plagued with framerate problems and glitches galore, and some problems persist to this day despite months off patching. Furthermore, PS3 owners have yet to see hide nor hair of Dawnguard, the game's first major content expansion. That's even after Hearthfire, the game's second expansion, was recently announced.

    Bethesda has finally broken silence on Dawnguard development, and things do not look good at all. In a forum post, Global Community Lead Gstaff relays the following message to Skyrim players on PS3: (important points have been bolded)

    "Earlier in the month, we provided an update on Dawnguard's status for PS3.

    It's been a few weeks, and we wanted to make sure everyone knows where we're at with Dawnguard. Skyrim is a massive and dynamic game that requires a lot of resources, and things get much more complex when you're talking about sizable content like Dawnguard. We have tried a number of things, but none of them solve the issue enough to make Dawnguard good for everyone. The PS3 is a powerful system, and we're working hard to deliver the content you guys want. Dawnguard is obviously not the only DLC we’ve been working on either, so the issues of adding content get even more complicated. This is not a problem we’re positive we can solve, but we are working together with Sony to try to bring you this content.
    . . . . .

  2. #2
    Elite Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Bristol!!
    Age
    25
    Posts
    10,836
    Rep Power
    97
    Oh dear... I imagine they'll be trying hard to get it out there. That's a lot of potential money they are missing out on!

  3. #3
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,878
    Rep Power
    130
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    i wonder what the issues are?

  4. #4
    Elite Sage
    Thorzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Age
    24
    Posts
    11,758
    Rep Power
    117
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Well, I was actually waiting for a GOTY edition to get Skyrim. Seems like you're not getting a cent from my pocket Bethesda...
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

  5. #5
    Ultimate Veteran
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    24,042
    Rep Power
    168
    "Dawnguard is not the only DLC we are working on so the issues of adding content gets even more complicated. "This is not a problem that we're sure we can solve." That sounds like PS3 might not get any DLC at all.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 08-31-2012 at 03:43.

  6. #6
    Miqo'te Bard
    Yuuichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8,084
    Rep Power
    79
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    So you dont want PS only players to ever buy your products again. Got yah. You have lost my business.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,




  7. #7
    PSU Trophy Manager
    Fenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,660
    Rep Power
    95
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    So you dont want PS only players to ever buy your products again. Got yah. You have lost my business.
    As someone who bothed loved the time with the game, and as someone who rarely buys DLC: This is so true, just sucks ID and Beth are under the same parent..

    Sig&Av by Kuro

    Preorders:
    Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

    PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

  8. #8
    Administrator and Visionary
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,951
    Rep Power
    137
    I love Skyrim, I have put in many hours and looked forward to this content...But I've stopped caring now and have moved on. As I've said elsewhere, I will get this $#@! on a 2nd hand GOTY edition (if these useless $#@!suckers ever manage to master 6 year old tech), as I will all their future titles. They will NEVER see another cent from me.

  9. #9
    Forum Guru
    jlippone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,795
    Rep Power
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    i wonder what the issues are?
    My guess would be a lack of main memory.
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

  10. #10
    Master Guru
    TDbank24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    6,938
    Rep Power
    72
    Skyrim ran like butter for me on the PS3.

    You have my money Bethesda. Release that DLC.


  11. #11
    Elite Member
    TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    n00 y4wk
    Age
    20
    Posts
    1,498
    Rep Power
    42
    They make good games but they don't know how to follow up on them properly and fairly in regards to their ENTIRE fanbase. It's 2012. Every other developer and their mother knows how to make a game run well on PS3.

    I'm fairly certain Bethesda said that their handling of Skyrim wouldn't be as bad as the handling of their previous games on PS3. So far I see no evidence supporting that. They're talented developers but they promise too much and deliver on so little. I want my Dawnguard DLC. Why? Because Bethesda said it was coming out on PS3 a month after it came out on 360. I'm not the kind of person who feels entitled to something just because someone else is getting it. But if I'm told I'm going to get something and then don't, you're damn right I'm going to feel a sense of entitlement.

    Part of me wants to buy all future games of theirs pre-owned so they don't see another cent of my money.
    Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!



    TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

  12. #12
    Elite Guru
    *goo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    5,297
    Rep Power
    79
    So what should they do? Release it when it's clearly completely broken?

    They're in a no win situation on this one. They're also working with Sony, clearly indicating they want to get the content onto the platform. What more can Bethesda do than keep trying?

    Why isn't The Last Guardian attracting this kind of flack? They're facing technical issues too, but most people are accepting of that.

    P.S. Damn you all for making me defend Bethesda, Lol.


    Obligatory Tapatalk Signature

  13. #13
    Administrator and Visionary
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,951
    Rep Power
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    So what should they do? Release it when it's clearly completely broken?

    They're in a no win situation on this one. They're also working with Sony, clearly indicating they want to get the content onto the platform. What more can Bethesda do than keep trying?

    Why isn't The Last Guardian attracting this kind of flack? They're facing technical issues too, but most people are accepting of that.

    P.S. Damn you all for making me defend Bethesda, Lol.


    Obligatory Tapatalk Signature
    Team Ico don't have a track record for $#@!ing PS3 fans over with $#@!ty programming. They didn't release a game knowing that "some" PS3 users would have problems, they didn't release a title changing patch weeks upon weeks after other platforms got it and they didn't release a timed exclusive DLC only to tell S3 users that they can't get their $#@! working. I don't know why you bother defending them to be honest, they have $#@!ed PS3 users up the ass since Fallout 3 and royaly with Skyrim.

  14. #14
    Elite Member
    TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    n00 y4wk
    Age
    20
    Posts
    1,498
    Rep Power
    42
    I'm like, or was, the biggest Bethesda fan evar, and even I can't defend this $#@!.
    Thanks to Kwesnoth for the sig!



    TheCinemaJack Movie Reviews!

  15. #15
    Super Elite
    Sir_Scud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Posts
    2,107
    Rep Power
    70
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    At this point Bethesda just looks real bad. I can't blame the PS3 only fans for being pissed. Even if they do finally release it down the road and let's say it barely runs or even runs decently, the damage has already been done.

    For Bethesda, it's really embarrassing to admit you are not sure if you can fix the problem. I'm glad I returned my copy a long time ago and picked up the PC version. I couldn't stand for the bull$#@! back before the big patch.

  16. #16
    Apprentice
    Georges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lebanon
    PSN ID
    Georges_2251
    Age
    16
    Posts
    190
    Rep Power
    24
    Items Final Fantasy Tactics
    Is PS3 development that hard? I'm sure if they hire PS3 devs they'll get better $#@!. If the 360 can run this stuff smoothly, the more powerful console might be able to handle this.

  17. #17
    Administrator and Visionary
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,951
    Rep Power
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Georges View Post
    Is PS3 development that hard? I'm sure if they hire PS3 devs they'll get better $#@!. If the 360 can run this stuff smoothly, the more powerful console might be able to handle this.
    The PS3 is only more powerful when it is programmed for with expertise and focus by the likes of Quantic Dream, Naughty Dog or Santa Monica. Otherwise it's not really more powerful, cause Sony decided to use parts from the Roswell crash to make the their console (aka some $#@!ed up alien type architecture that few understand). It was once likened to a high performance sports car. It requires very specific skill to take advantage of its power. Bethesda don't have that skill. They are more used to driving the car that "everybody else is driving" which was what the 360 was compared to. Easy to develop for and more versatile due to its PC like nature.

  18. #18
    Elite Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,522
    Rep Power
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Georges View Post
    Is PS3 development that hard? I'm sure if they hire PS3 devs they'll get better $#@!. If the 360 can run this stuff smoothly, the more powerful console might be able to handle this.

    "More powerful" has always been a bull$#@! claim.


    Yeah, the PS3 is "more powerful" if you ignore the fact that it cannot run a 300MB kernel at all, under any circumstances, and both the Xbox 360 and PC can with ease.



    Under a very select set of circumstances, the PS3 can process data faster than the Xbox 360, but processing data faster is not the same as being more powerful, and in order to get that faster processing you must design your kernel around the PS3 limitations and tailor it to the things the PS3 does well. This causes the game to suffer on the two other platforms.


    And let's be clear here, when it comes to Bethesda games the PS3 is the least important platform with the fewest fans. Skyrim is the 5th Elder Scrolls game, but only the second on the PS3, and the first was a year+ old port from the 360. The Elder Scrolls series is a PC game series that was ported to consoles, not the other way around. Only a fool would suggest that Bethesda should dump their establish fan based that they've been building up since the early 1990s in favor of a handful of whiny PS3 fans.



    To date Skyrim has sold over 11 million copies. Over 50% of those came from the Xbox 360, and 30% were from the PC. Bethesda isn't going to rewrite their entire game engine and recode everything just for the less than 20% of Skyrim buyers who own PS3s.

  19. #19
    Forum Guru
    jlippone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,795
    Rep Power
    89
    Quote Originally Posted by Georges View Post
    Is PS3 development that hard? I'm sure if they hire PS3 devs they'll get better $#@!. If the 360 can run this stuff smoothly, the more powerful console might be able to handle this.
    If the problem is the amount of available main memory any amount of power doesn't really affect anything.
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

  20. #20
    Dedicated Member
    gumionday's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    PSN ID
    gumi42
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,173
    Rep Power
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    And let's be clear here, when it comes to Bethesda games the PS3 is the least important platform with the fewest fans. Skyrim is the 5th Elder Scrolls game, but only the second on the PS3, and the first was a year+ old port from the 360. The Elder Scrolls series is a PC game series that was ported to consoles, not the other way around. Only a fool would suggest that Bethesda should dump their establish fan based that they've been building up since the early 1990s in favor of a handful of whiny PS3 fans.



    To date Skyrim has sold over 11 million copies. Over 50% of those came from the Xbox 360, and 30% were from the PC. Bethesda isn't going to rewrite their entire game engine and recode everything just for the less than 20% of Skyrim buyers who own PS3s.

    Smallest Fanbase or not, there is no reason that we should be ****ed over this bad. It really sucks cause the the games they make are fun and enjoyable but they really need to get some people over there that know how to work with the PS3 strengths and weaknesses.

    Even if the DLC comes out I will pass.
    Guess I will be buying Fallout 4 for PC first.
    Hard work never killed nobody but I ain't taking any chances

  21. #21
    Apprentice
    Georges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lebanon
    PSN ID
    Georges_2251
    Age
    16
    Posts
    190
    Rep Power
    24
    Items Final Fantasy Tactics
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    "More powerful" has always been a bull$#@! claim.


    Yeah, the PS3 is "more powerful" if you ignore the fact that it cannot run a 300MB kernel at all, under any circumstances, and both the Xbox 360 and PC can with ease.



    Under a very select set of circumstances, the PS3 can process data faster than the Xbox 360, but processing data faster is not the same as being more powerful, and in order to get that faster processing you must design your kernel around the PS3 limitations and tailor it to the things the PS3 does well. This causes the game to suffer on the two other platforms.


    And let's be clear here, when it comes to Bethesda games the PS3 is the least important platform with the fewest fans. Skyrim is the 5th Elder Scrolls game, but only the second on the PS3, and the first was a year+ old port from the 360. The Elder Scrolls series is a PC game series that was ported to consoles, not the other way around. Only a fool would suggest that Bethesda should dump their establish fan based that they've been building up since the early 1990s in favor of a handful of whiny PS3 fans.



    To date Skyrim has sold over 11 million copies. Over 50% of those came from the Xbox 360, and 30% were from the PC. Bethesda isn't going to rewrite their entire game engine and recode everything just for the less than 20% of Skyrim buyers who own PS3s.
    What difference this might make? Buyers are still buyers.

  22. #22
    Apprentice
    imINxile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    PSN ID
    imINxile
    Age
    33
    Posts
    389
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Georges View Post
    What difference this might make? Buyers are still buyers.
    Exactely..regardless of what the % is on skyrim sales for the current gen, a bad reputation will hurt them.

  23. #23
    Administrator and Visionary
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,951
    Rep Power
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    To date Skyrim has sold over 11 million copies. Over 50% of those came from the Xbox 360, and 30% were from the PC. Bethesda isn't going to rewrite their entire game engine and recode everything just for the less than 20% of Skyrim buyers who own PS3s.
    Beth $#@!ed themselves over years ago in the eyes of many PS3 gamers with the fine title that was Fallout 3. The state of the DLC and the game in general on PS3 was shocking. People complained for months and months on the forums, reporting game breaking bugs and glitches and performance issues. Beth never responded or did anything, too busy laughing to the bank with our money. I'm not surprised PS3 had the miner share, they haven't really earned overwhelming support from that demographic.

    "The way our dynamic stuff and our scripting works, it’s obvious it gets in situations where it taxes the PS3." The team knew there could be issues with that version of the game, even though "we felt we had a lot of it under control," he said. - Todd Howard
    lol Bravo...

  24. #24
    Supreme Veteran
    keefy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    The Sock Gap
    Posts
    17,878
    Rep Power
    130
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Chances are the stats Completely avergae draws form does not include digital sales.

  25. #25
    Master Guru
    Bigdoggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Age
    34
    Posts
    6,810
    Rep Power
    77
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    with how Bethesda handled the PS3 version of Skyrim, I wont support them anymore until they pull their heads out of their asses. getting quite tired of this company and this engine they are using. maybe they should start tweaking the engine more but I guess that's to complicated for them o.O ugh.
    PSN ID: Intense_Peanut

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.