Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items FuturamaLinuxBlizzardUser name style

U.S. Marine shot 71 times in marijuana raid. 4yo and wife was home. NO DRUGS FOUND

'Government killed one of their own': Iraq war vet and father of two shot 71 times in own HOME by SWAT team

By Daily Mail Reporter
    UPDATED: 03:51 GMT, 22 May 2011

Jose Guerena, 26,survived two tours of duty in Iraq as a marine, only to be gunned down in a hail of 71 bullets in his own Tucson, Arizona home, while his wife and four-year old son hid in a nearby closet.

Mr Guerena's wife, Vanessa, said she heard her husband moaning as he lay dying, his body struck by 60 of the bullets.

Ms Guerena told ABC News: 'I saw his stomach, all the blood on the floor'.

Shot dead: Jose Guerena, 26, had served two tours of duty in Iraq as a marine, but he died in his Tucson home after being hit by 60 bullets from a SWAT team

Family man: Mr Guerena is survived by his wife, Vanessa, and sons Joel, 4, and Jose, 6. Vanessa and Joel hid in a closet, where they could hear the shooting

Seeking closure: Vanessa Guerena hopes to clear her late husband's name by proving that he was not involved in drugs, the stated reason for the raid

She said her goal now is to 'clear his good name'. Ms Guerena said their son Joel keeps asking about his deceased father, 'Is he a bad guy?'

The Tucson SWAT team responsible for the May 5 house shooting defends its actions, saying the team was conducting a multi-house drug investigation based on a search warrant when they saw Mr Guerena aiming an assault rifle at them.

At first, the SWAT team had said Mr Guerena fired first, but then they retracted that statement, saying he had left the safety on.
    The Pima County Sheriff's Office declines to say whether any drugs were found in the house, claiming the investigation is ongoing.

At a press conference Thursday, SWAT team lawyer Mike Storie claimed weapons and body armour were found in the home, as well as a photo of Jesus Malverde, who Storie called a 'patron saint drug runner'.

In a statement, the sheriff's office criticized those questioning the team, saying, 'It is unacceptable and irresponsible to couch those questions with implications of secrecy and a coverup, not to mention questioning the legality of actions that could not have been taken without the approval of an impartial judge'.

Opened up: The Pima County SWAT team fired off 71 bullets, 60 of which struck Mr Guerena. They say he pointed an assault weapon at them

Bullet hole: Signs of the confrontation

Crime scene: The Guerena's home in Tucson, where they saw gunmen early in the morning on May 5

On the night of the raid, Ms Guerena said her husband was asleep, after having worked a night shift at the Asarco copper mine. She said she then saw the armed SWAT team outside her youngest son's bedroom window.

Reyna Ortiz, 29, a relative of the family, told reporters: 'She saw a man pointing at her with a gun. She yelled, "Don't shoot! I have a baby!"'

Ms Guerena alleges that she thought it was a criminal assault, since two members of her sister-in-law's family, Cynthia and Manny Orozco, had been killed last year in their Tucson home.

Ms Guerena said she shouted for her husband, who told her to take young Joel and hide in a closet.

After the shooting, Ms Guerena says she emerged from the closet. 'They came into the house to get me,' she told ABC reporters.
    She told a 9-11 operator: 'They were... going to shoot me. And I put my kid in front of me', according to ABC.

Crying, she also told the operator: 'He's on the floor! Can you please hurry up?'

Ongoing investigation: Pima County officials decline to say if they found any drugs in the home, but say they did find weapons and body armour

Found: Police say they also found a photo of Jesus Malverde, who they called a 'patron saint drug runner'

When she encountered the SWAT team, 'the only thing I told them was take care of him, take him to a hospital,' Ms Guerena told ABC.

An ambulance reportedly arrived in a few minutes, but medical personnel were not allowed inside to see Mr Guerena for an hour and 14 minutes, the family's attorney, Chris Scileppi, told ABC News affiliate KGUN.

In contrast, it took responders only 12 minutes to address Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, who was shot in Tucson in January, according to Mr Scileppi.

Mr Storie defended the SWAT team's actions, saying, 'They still don't know how many shooters are inside, how many guns are inside and they still have to assume that they will be ambushed if they walk in this house'.

Critical: Guerena family lawyer Chris Scileppi said: 'The pieces don't fit. I think it was poor planning, overreaction and now they're trying to CYA'

Medics barred: Mr Scleppi claims paramedics were kept outside the home more than an hour, while Mr Guerena lay inside dying

Mr Scileppi accused officers of 'circling their wagons'.

'The pieces don't fit. I think it was poor planning, overreaction and now they're trying to CYA', Scileppi told ABC.
    Mr Guerena served two tours of duty in Iraq, until he left the Marines in 2006.

ABC interviewed his former commander, Sergeant Leo Verdugo, who told them he 'definitely pulled his weight'.
    'I have a hard time grasping how something so tragic could happen', he told the network.

The Guerena's oldest boy, Jose, turns 6 Tuesday. Ms Ortiz told ABC, 'He went to school, came back and never saw his daddy again. He's asking, "Why did the police kill my daddy?"

'We were so worried when he was over there fighting terrorism, but he gets shot in his own home. The government killed one of their own', Ms Ortiz said.

Mr Guerena is to be buried in his Marine dress blue uniform.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...SWAT-team.html

http://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comme..._raid_4yo_and/

-------------

That is $#@!ing disgusting.

BTW I was going to take marine out of the title because if this happened to anyone it'd be equally bad but I kept it in there.
    2010 Lethal's FF League Champion

2. Likes MarkusRivers likes this post
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Holy $#@!..71 one times wtf..Overkill much? This is Disgusting.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

4. Likes MarkusRivers likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    A lot of itchy trigger fingers. Really sad.

6. Likes MarkusRivers likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    How many bullets does a gun hold?

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Epic operation FAIL.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    20-30 rounds for an AR.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    So how many swat member where there? He pointed an assult rifle at them and they responded the same way any one of you would have regardless of you all carrying your crosses on the internet. Using the family and his kids as some sort of pity move agianst the swat team is what disgust me. They had a warrent he pointed a gun they responded. Oh but yeah I'm so sure he is somehow still innocent even tho he pointed a gun. Let all pick up our crosses and say they so evil and we would never fire or we would do diff. Let get those comments rolling.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    So how many swat member where there? He pointed an assult rifle at them and they responded the same way any one of you would have regardless of you all carrying your crosses on the internet. Using the family and his kids as some sort of pity move agianst the swat team is what disgust me. They had a warrent he pointed a gun they responded. Oh but yeah I'm so sure he is somehow still innocent even tho he pointed a gun. Let all pick up our crosses and say they so evil and we would never fire or we would do diff. Let get those comments rolling.
    His gun was on safety. I think he thought he was being robbed.

12. Likes MarkusRivers likes this post
    Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by bash View Post
    His gun was on safety. I think he thought he was being robbed.
    So he still pointed it at them and they got lucky saftey was on. I'm sure you would have done diff in the situation tho if someone points a gun at you. They didn't know saftey was on. They saw a gun pointed at them and responded.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Veteran
    They should be armed with stuff to take him down without killing him. Shooting at him 71 times is wayyyyyy overkill.

Dave
    They had a warrant and served it by kicking in the door, lmao. Why didn't they bang on the door and surround the perimeter instead?

The entire incident could have been avoided completely. A marine, who is geared towards military intelligence, isn't going to think he can fire his way out of a 12-1 battle -- especially with his family hiding in a closet and could be a victim of crossfire.

The SWAT team is entirely to blame for his death in this situation.

Miqo'te Bard
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    They had a warrant and served it by kicking in the door, lmao. Why didn't they bang on the door and surround the perimeter instead?

The entire incident could have been avoided completely. A marine, who is geared towards military intelligence, isn't going to think he can fire his way out of a 12-1 battle -- especially with his family hiding in a closet and could be a victim of crossfire.

The SWAT team is entirely to blame for his death in this situation.
    They don't knock because it gives people time to flush drugs if they do.

Let me be clear on my stance because I don't think iam.

Overkill? Def

Was firing warrented? Yes
    This much firing?yes but then it is heat of moment.
    Last edited by Yuuichi; 09-01-2012 at 15:48.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    Damn, sounds like he got like Denzel in Training day...

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

18. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce

Overkill? Def

This much firing? No but then it is heat of moment.

im sorry but what is this?
    this defeats the purpose of their name..."Special" task force they are not.

The raid was held during the night (or so is reported) SWAT would've used night vision. Body armour and a rifle does not help you see in the dark. the guy was prolly trying to make his situation known by waving his gun at people he couldn't even see.

Tactics this unit has none..

Sepicial-Nope
    Weapons- clearly demonstrated
    Tactics-lol derp tactics maybe
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

20. Likes BBK.. , bash , Ghost likes this post
    Dave

Overkill? Def

This much firing?yes but then it is heat of moment.
    If this guy is in the midst of a major drug operation -- he isn't going to be able to flush that much contraband in that short of time. Not to mention that it would back up the toilet by the time he tried to flush enough of it.

Are you telling me that drug warrants in small houses never involve knocking? lol. We'd have more reports of drug deaths in the country of America every day if operative who are trained in special tactics don't knock on the door first.

Believe it or not, but I'd wager a ton of cash that most drug pushers/dealers/middlemen would answer the door and give themselves up when surrounded by a SWAT team (especially with their family inside) before they open up shooting.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    How many bullets does a gun hold?
    Depends on the gun and the caliber.

In this particular case given it was a SWAT team, they were probably using MP5's. So 30 rounds + 1 in the chamber of 9mm.

71 rounds hit the man, and they probably fired more than that.

Forum Elder
    Items DiceGoogle ChromeNaughty DogBattlefield 3PlayStationPS3 Slim
    All i gota say is it took 71 shots to kill that badass

Oorah!!!

Unbound Mercenary
    SWAT are not sent in too wound. If he pointed a gun at them, then it makes perfect sense why they would have gone lethal. Its not their job to hope that his gun is not loaded, or set to safety.

It'd be like sending Navy seals in on a mission to wound, it just doesn't happen.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    SWAT are not sent in too wound. If he pointed a gun at them, then it makes perfect sense why they would have gone lethal. Its not their job to hope that his gun is not loaded, or set to safety.

It'd be like sending Navy seals in on a mission to wound, it just doesn't happen.
    SWAT=Death Penalty?

they haven't done justice to their name. let alone the people.
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    So if SWAT goes to your house on a hunch that you have drugs, and you have a gun to defend your family, and you think you are being robbed, it is okay for the SWAT team to murder you?

Do not defend the SWAT team as they just killed one of their own. There were no damn drugs in the house. There was a wife and a 4yr old child at the home as well.

This operation was sloppy and poorly executed.

This guy fought for his country, and then his country fought him...
    Last edited by Lethal; 09-01-2012 at 16:27.

27. Likes Two4DaMoney , ps3isawesome likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    What's disgusting is the fact that people are trying to defend the SWAT team.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

29. Likes Two4DaMoney , Lethal likes this post
    Unbound Mercenary
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    So if SWAT goes to your house on a hunch that you have drugs, and you have a gun to defend your family, and you think you are being robbed, it is okay for the SWAT team to murder you?

Do not defend the SWAT team as they just killed one of their own. There were no damn drugs in the house. There was a wife and a 4yr old child at the home as well.

This operation was sloppy and poorly executed.
    You misunderstand. I was not defending them, I was simply expressing the typical usage of SWAT teams in situations like this. The crap of a detective that concluded that there were drugs in the house must have been pretty damn sure if he called in a SWAT team.

It was $#@!ty detective work, $#@!ty operation execution, and $#@!ty work done in general by the police that set up the whole thing. And its a damn shame that the guy died like that.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    All I can say is thank the good Lord that a double touring marine was gunned down in his own home trying to protect his family with 60 bullets in his body. That marijuana, it's a real threat to the community, what with all the over doses, deaths, rage and irrational, violent outbursts it's know for causing. So what if he thought he was being burgled, marijuana is killing our people!

32. Likes Two4DaMoney , Lethal likes this post
    Miqo'te Bard
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    You misunderstand. I was not defending them, I was simply expressing the typical usage of SWAT teams in situations like this. The crap of a detective that concluded that there were drugs in the house must have been pretty damn sure if he called in a SWAT team.

It was $#@!ty detective work, $#@!ty operation execution, and $#@!ty work done in general by the police that set up the whole thing. And its a damn shame that the guy died like that.
    I fully agree. It is ashamed at what happened but the swat responded as they are trained to do. The people who issued the warrent need to be brought forward as what evidence they had. It started with whoever thought they had drugs.

I am willing bet that most of those swat guys feel bad for what happened. This is something they will carry with them forever. Not one of you including me will ever know how that feels.

@ Dave:I disagree. I bealive a minorty would give themselves up to protect family but a majority would try everything to escape and only think about themselves.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    All I can say is thank the good Lord that a double touring marine was gunned down in his own home trying to protect his family with 60 bullets in his body. That marijuana, it's a real threat to the community, what with all the over doses, deaths, rage and irrational, violent outbursts it's know for causing. So what if he thought he was being burgled, marijuana is killing our people!
    No marijuana was found on him or in his home.
    [CENTER]You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Thread Information