Hybrid View

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

How are the rules enforced?

I'm confused about how the rules are enforced on this forum. There are two scenarios I will use to show my confusion.

Scenario #1:
    A member comes into a thread and says something very offensive. It's not a flame, but it could inflict harm on a person in real life. That member receives a warning. Then, that member repeats that behavior within that same week or so. You report it and silence ensues. You expect that person to get another warning or maybe an infraction but nothing seems to happen.

My question about this scenario is: Is there something going on behind the scenes members can't see? Is it possible that not all infractions are posted in the infraction section or something? Now, the member's part is to report it, but when that member does it again, it makes the member who reported it wonder if anything was done at all.

Scenario #2:
    A members comes into a thread and blatantly flames people. He and others continue to flame members causing the staff to issue 2 warnings in the whole thread, telling them to stop flaming people. Posts are deleted.

My question about this scenario is: Why were 2 warnings issued? I mean, wasn't the first warning and posts deleted enough to signal it's time for infractions? I'm not critisizing staff, I'm just confused. Is it two strikes and you're out or something?

And asking these questions is not in no way to critisize staff. I think staff here do a good job. I'm just confused.

Thank you.
    Currently Playing: Pokemon Alpha Sapphire for the Nintendo 3DS

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    When a post is reported, the staff use a magic 8 ball to decide the outcome. It's a tried and tested method that has worked flawlessly each time...except once....

Master Guru
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    When a post is reported, the staff use a magic 8 ball to decide the outcome. It's a tried and tested method that has worked flawlessly each time...except once....
    Every time i come into a thread and i have something funny to say there's a member, Ghost-Rhayne, who's already first in the thread and he's already done it. Thus i'm left with nothing to say.

Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
    Every time i come into a thread and i have something funny to say there's a member, Ghost-Rhayne, who's already first in the thread and he's already done it. Thus i'm left with nothing to say.
    He is funny. Even in threads when we disagree on something I can not help but to laugh at the threads he posted with sarcasm.

On topic: I am curious myself because over the past year I have seen post that should warrant something but get nothing, and some that I wouldn't think would get an infraction get one.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I too imagine this is how it goes...lmao jk

All infractions are up to the staff as far as us member all we can do is report them as they instruct us to do.

You may see it as an infraction however they may not all decisions are up to the moderation team.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    i think the staff try to allow threads to flow.

ie, not be all Gestapo and come down heavy on every single member.

i personally like that they allow the members to decide their fate
    it also helps us know that they're actively monitoring situations
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    They pm someone saying I AM THE LAWWWW
    and things fix themselves

Thank you itachi

Selected Members Council
    I am going to assume, with your first scenario, that you were talking about the report you made the other day. We don't always give out infractions. Sometimes we simply edit/delete a post because it doesn't contribute to the thread. In your case, we didn't feel as though the user was insulting anyone.

As for your second scenario, I should mention that the staff don't follow a point system anymore. At least that's what Cuguy mentioned a while back. We look at the member's past behavior and use it to decide how severely said member should be punished. However, you will only see one warning being handed out before it comes time to actually infract someone.

I hope that answers your question.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 09-02-2012 at 22:49.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I am going to assume, with your first scenario, that you were talking about the report you made the other day. We don't always give out infractions. Sometimes we simply edit/delete a post because it doesn't contribute to the thread. In your case, we didn't feel as though the user was insulting anyone.

As for your second scenario, I should mention that the staff don't follow a point system anymore. At least that's what Cuguy mentioned a while back. We look at the member's past behavior and use it to decide how severely said member should be punished. However, you will only see one warning being handed out before it comes time to actually infract someone.

I hope that answers your question.
    In both scenarios, those answers don't make sense.

First scenario, that member made a similar comment to another member in another thread. They ended up with a warning. So when they make another comment like that, it's nothing bad? I do hope staff knows if a member actually goes out and kills themselves, there's a slight chance this forum could be held liable? If I had a son or daughter who saw that message and was so depressed they went out and took their own life, I would look into into it too, just like parents contact schools when that happens. That should be treated very serious and it would look bad on this forum if someone did harm themselves.

Second scenario, that wasn't the case and that's what I thought. After the first warning, I thought infractions should have went out or at least that's what I've seen on other forums. Instead another warning was issued and posts deleted.

Selected Members Council
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    First scenario, that member made a similar comment to another member in another thread. They ended up with a warning. So when they make another comment like that, it's nothing bad? I do hope staff knows if a member actually goes out and kills themselves, there's a slight chance this forum could be held liable? If I had a son or daughter who saw that message and was so depressed they went out and took their own life, I would look into into it too, just like parents contact schools when that happens. That should be treated very serious and it would look bad on this forum if someone did harm themselves.
    Did I say it was nothing bad? The post was deleted.

But now that I think about it, I regret the fact that a moderator had to delete it since the post was tongue-in-cheek. That much was implied as it was followed up with a smiley face and snicker emoticon. Everyone else ignored it.

Second scenario, that wasn't the case and that's what I thought. After the first warning, I thought infractions should have went out or at least that's what I've seen on other forums. Instead another warning was issued and posts deleted.
    Infractions should have went out for what? Please elaborate.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 09-03-2012 at 04:46.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Did I say it was nothing bad? The post was deleted.

But now that I think about it, I regret that a moderator deleted it since the post was tongue-in-cheek. That much was implied since it was followed up with a smiley face and snicker emoticon. Everyone else ignored it.
    I didn't say you said nothing was bad.

That member posted the same way the first time and even a staff member stated there were members who had a problem with it.

And even if it was just me who ignored it, what if someone even more sensitive had received the same treatment? I was actually was on a forum in which a member committed suicide. This is more serious than you think.

Infractions should have went out for what? Please elaborate.
    Member: *flames left and right*
    Staff member: Stop that flaming!
    Member: *Comes right back into the thread and continues to flame*
    Staff: *Deletes posts and issues another warning*

On the third step, that member would have been banned on certain other forums.

Selected Members Council
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I didn't say you said nothing was bad.
    "So when they make another comment like that, it's nothing bad?"

Anyways...

That member posted the same way the first time and even a staff member stated there were members who had a problem with it.
    I am talking about the second time it was posted, hence the reason I brought up the emoticons because the first time he didn't and no one could tell if he was being serious. So it was a humorous but ultimately lame post.

And even if it was just me who ignored it, what if someone even more sensitive had received the same treatment? I was actually was on a forum in which a member committed suicide. This is more serious than you think.
    No, it really isn't. If someone's self-esteem is so low that they commit suicide because they can't differentiate between something that's serious and something that isn't no one here will be held responsible.

Member: *flames left and right*
    Staff member: Stop that flaming!
    Member: *Comes right back into the thread and continues to flame*
    Staff: *Deletes posts and issues another warning*

On the third step, that member would have been banned on certain other forums.
    Please link me to the thread, The Black Wolf.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 09-03-2012 at 05:46.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    It's simple. For every report, we secretly ask F34R what to do.

But now that he's supposedly gone, we'll just have to ask ourselves WWFD.....What Would F34R Do?

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    It's simple. For every report, we secretly ask F34R what to do.

But now that he's supposedly gone, we'll just have to ask ourselves WWFD.....What Would F34R Do?
    banned everyone?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by djpenny View Post
    banned everyone?
    All the people I banned, that were let back by the staff, had to be banned again by those that let them back. I think it worked out just nicely eh?

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-12-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    To me it seems like baseball 3 strikes your out.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    You also have to remember this isnt (insert other forum), each forum has there own general rules and way they do things

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    1. Depends who you are and how awesome you are.

*pro-tip* ; don't be so touchy on the internet.

(do i insert a snicker here just to clarify the unseriousness of this post?)

$#@! it, here it is

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    I will drop my 2 cents in here as well.

The rules in forums have exactly two ways they can be handled. Either we infract people blindly for each and every post that even remotely breaks a rule, thus taking out the human element and turning us into other sites (like N4g) OR we can let our mod teams use their judgement and apply rules as needed.

We have always let the human element in on this. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It all comes down to how that staffer is feeling that day.

Some days I would ban a member at a whim because what they did was so A. stupid or B. a repeat offense. Other days, I would do as you have seen, issue a warning or send a PM letting that person know they are treading a thin line.

What is really important for members to know is that staff has a large forum where they discuss infractions and bans. Often, we discuss a report and decide nothing is to be done. You, as a reported may or may not see the outcome because it was all handled within our forums. Some have asked us to PM them about reports, but you can imagine we can't MAKE a staffer do this, as we have no way to check. With all my internet powers on the forum BWAHAHAHAHAHHA, even I cannot see PM's. They are literally private.
    LMAO

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Everything is down to the individual staff member. When I was on it I was always really reluctant to suggest posters receive infractions for offences (because we were still running the points system then) and I knew if they got an infraction for x reason they could be gone for another small misdemeanor which seemed overly harsh to me.

You have to remember that staff want members on the forum and as such are likely to do all they reasonably can to keep things civil without resorting to bannings.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    inb4 the 'list'
    *is curious about this "list".
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by RaY_210 View Post
    *is curious about this "list".
    You want the list? YOU CANT HANDLE THE LIST!!! Lol

I personally don't see a problem the way the team handles its moderation. They allow things to play out and if it gets outta hand like it has they will step in. Like a previous member said they allow you to choose your own fate.

When I report its always just spam I see from spambots there has been maybe one time I reported a member in a thread that got outta control most of the time Ill just address the member directly.

People just need to understand the rules and not be sensitive.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    We have rules? Oh crap, someone has been slacking......

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Quote Originally Posted by djpenny View Post
    banned everyone?
    We have a thread for that and I'm banned there =( lol

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Thread Information