Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

    How are the rules enforced?

    I'm confused about how the rules are enforced on this forum. There are two scenarios I will use to show my confusion.

    Scenario #1:
    A member comes into a thread and says something very offensive. It's not a flame, but it could inflict harm on a person in real life. That member receives a warning. Then, that member repeats that behavior within that same week or so. You report it and silence ensues. You expect that person to get another warning or maybe an infraction but nothing seems to happen.

    My question about this scenario is: Is there something going on behind the scenes members can't see? Is it possible that not all infractions are posted in the infraction section or something? Now, the member's part is to report it, but when that member does it again, it makes the member who reported it wonder if anything was done at all.

    Scenario #2:
    A members comes into a thread and blatantly flames people. He and others continue to flame members causing the staff to issue 2 warnings in the whole thread, telling them to stop flaming people. Posts are deleted.

    My question about this scenario is: Why were 2 warnings issued? I mean, wasn't the first warning and posts deleted enough to signal it's time for infractions? I'm not critisizing staff, I'm just confused. Is it two strikes and you're out or something?

    And asking these questions is not in no way to critisize staff. I think staff here do a good job. I'm just confused.

    Thank you.

    Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,832
    Rep Power
    133
    Points
    6,744,638 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    When a post is reported, the staff use a magic 8 ball to decide the outcome. It's a tried and tested method that has worked flawlessly each time...except once....

  3. Likes RaY_210 , MATRIX 2 likes this post
  4. #3
    Forum Sage
    DeviousOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Orlando FL
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,551
    Rep Power
    69
    Points
    61,675 (1,943 Banked)
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    When a post is reported, the staff use a magic 8 ball to decide the outcome. It's a tried and tested method that has worked flawlessly each time...except once....
    I too imagine this is how it goes...lmao jk

    All infractions are up to the staff as far as us member all we can do is report them as they instruct us to do.

    You may see it as an infraction however they may not all decisions are up to the moderation team.

    ~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

  5. #4
    Community Manager
    Fijiandoce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pacific Isles of Doceness
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Posts
    4,588
    Rep Power
    90
    Points
    279,944 (888 Banked)
    i think the staff try to allow threads to flow.

    ie, not be all Gestapo and come down heavy on every single member.

    i personally like that they allow the members to decide their fate
    it also helps us know that they're actively monitoring situations
    Sig courtesy of the_jim


  6. #5
    Dat Guy
    Chille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Your House.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    13,123
    Rep Power
    132
    Points
    1,248 (1,060,841 Banked)
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    They pm someone saying I AM THE LAWWWW
    and things fix themselves



    Thank you itachi

  7. #6
    Ultimate Veteran
    Metal King Slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Slime Hill
    Age
    23
    Posts
    22,735
    Rep Power
    192
    Points
    12,901 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I am going to assume, with your first scenario, that you were talking about the report you made the other day. We don't always give out infractions. Sometimes we simply edit/delete a post because it doesn't contribute to the thread. In your case, we didn't feel as though the user was insulting anyone.

    As for your second scenario, I should mention that the staff don't follow a point system anymore. At least that's what Cuguy mentioned a while back. We look at the member's past behavior and use it to decide how severely said member should be punished. However, you will only see one warning being handed out before it comes time to actually infract someone.

    I hope that answers your question.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 09-02-2012 at 21:49.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

    Do you love GTA? Check out my general discussion thread here!

  8. Likes 33x likes this post
  9. #7
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I am going to assume, with your first scenario, that you were talking about the report you made the other day. We don't always give out infractions. Sometimes we simply edit/delete a post because it doesn't contribute to the thread. In your case, we didn't feel as though the user was insulting anyone.

    As for your second scenario, I should mention that the staff don't follow a point system anymore. At least that's what Cuguy mentioned a while back. We look at the member's past behavior and use it to decide how severely said member should be punished. However, you will only see one warning being handed out before it comes time to actually infract someone.

    I hope that answers your question.
    In both scenarios, those answers don't make sense.

    First scenario, that member made a similar comment to another member in another thread. They ended up with a warning. So when they make another comment like that, it's nothing bad? I do hope staff knows if a member actually goes out and kills themselves, there's a slight chance this forum could be held liable? If I had a son or daughter who saw that message and was so depressed they went out and took their own life, I would look into into it too, just like parents contact schools when that happens. That should be treated very serious and it would look bad on this forum if someone did harm themselves.

    Second scenario, that wasn't the case and that's what I thought. After the first warning, I thought infractions should have went out or at least that's what I've seen on other forums. Instead another warning was issued and posts deleted.

    Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

  10. #8
    Master Guru
    Silvy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    21
    Posts
    7,100
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    28,043 (31,233 Banked)
    Items Protect yourselfUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    When a post is reported, the staff use a magic 8 ball to decide the outcome. It's a tried and tested method that has worked flawlessly each time...except once....
    Every time i come into a thread and i have something funny to say there's a member, Ghost-Rhayne, who's already first in the thread and he's already done it. Thus i'm left with nothing to say.

    Remember that i'm going to die is the best way I know to avoid trap of thinking you have something to lose, you're already naked, there's no reason not to follow your heart.

  11. #9
    Miqo'te Bard
    Yuuichi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    8,142
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    17,271 (0 Banked)
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Knight View Post
    Every time i come into a thread and i have something funny to say there's a member, Ghost-Rhayne, who's already first in the thread and he's already done it. Thus i'm left with nothing to say.
    He is funny. Even in threads when we disagree on something I can not help but to laugh at the threads he posted with sarcasm.


    On topic: I am curious myself because over the past year I have seen post that should warrant something but get nothing, and some that I wouldn't think would get an infraction get one.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,




  12. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
  13. #10
    Supreme Veteran
    Ixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    19,951
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    71,665 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    It's simple. For every report, we secretly ask F34R what to do.

    But now that he's supposedly gone, we'll just have to ask ourselves WWFD.....What Would F34R Do?

  14. Likes F34R , Lethal , RaY_210 , 33x , Yuuichi likes this post
  15. #11
    Ultimate Veteran
    Metal King Slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Slime Hill
    Age
    23
    Posts
    22,735
    Rep Power
    192
    Points
    12,901 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    First scenario, that member made a similar comment to another member in another thread. They ended up with a warning. So when they make another comment like that, it's nothing bad? I do hope staff knows if a member actually goes out and kills themselves, there's a slight chance this forum could be held liable? If I had a son or daughter who saw that message and was so depressed they went out and took their own life, I would look into into it too, just like parents contact schools when that happens. That should be treated very serious and it would look bad on this forum if someone did harm themselves.
    Did I say it was nothing bad? The post was deleted.

    But now that I think about it, I regret the fact that a moderator had to delete it since the post was tongue-in-cheek. That much was implied as it was followed up with a smiley face and snicker emoticon. Everyone else ignored it.

    Second scenario, that wasn't the case and that's what I thought. After the first warning, I thought infractions should have went out or at least that's what I've seen on other forums. Instead another warning was issued and posts deleted.
    Infractions should have went out for what? Please elaborate.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 09-03-2012 at 03:46.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

    Do you love GTA? Check out my general discussion thread here!

  16. #12
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Did I say it was nothing bad? The post was deleted.

    But now that I think about it, I regret that a moderator deleted it since the post was tongue-in-cheek. That much was implied since it was followed up with a smiley face and snicker emoticon. Everyone else ignored it.
    I didn't say you said nothing was bad.

    That member posted the same way the first time and even a staff member stated there were members who had a problem with it.

    And even if it was just me who ignored it, what if someone even more sensitive had received the same treatment? I was actually was on a forum in which a member committed suicide. This is more serious than you think.

    Infractions should have went out for what? Please elaborate.
    Member: *flames left and right*
    Staff member: Stop that flaming!
    Member: *Comes right back into the thread and continues to flame*
    Staff: *Deletes posts and issues another warning*

    On the third step, that member would have been banned on certain other forums.

    Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

  17. #13
    Ultimate Veteran
    Metal King Slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Slime Hill
    Age
    23
    Posts
    22,735
    Rep Power
    192
    Points
    12,901 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I didn't say you said nothing was bad.
    "So when they make another comment like that, it's nothing bad?"

    Anyways...

    That member posted the same way the first time and even a staff member stated there were members who had a problem with it.
    I am talking about the second time it was posted, hence the reason I brought up the emoticons because the first time he didn't and no one could tell if he was being serious. So it was a humorous but ultimately lame post.

    And even if it was just me who ignored it, what if someone even more sensitive had received the same treatment? I was actually was on a forum in which a member committed suicide. This is more serious than you think.
    No, it really isn't. If someone's self-esteem is so low that they commit suicide because they can't differentiate between something that's serious and something that isn't no one here will be held responsible.

    Member: *flames left and right*
    Staff member: Stop that flaming!
    Member: *Comes right back into the thread and continues to flame*
    Staff: *Deletes posts and issues another warning*

    On the third step, that member would have been banned on certain other forums.
    Please link me to the thread, The Black Wolf.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 09-03-2012 at 04:46.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

    Do you love GTA? Check out my general discussion thread here!

  18. #14
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    Kuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Ore no Sekai
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Age
    21
    Posts
    13,106
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    533,462 (0 Banked)
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    To me it seems like baseball 3 strikes your out.

    PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

  19. #15
    PSU Trophy Manager
    Fenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Age
    25
    Posts
    11,614
    Rep Power
    92
    Points
    20,024 (1,000 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    You also have to remember this isnt (insert other forum), each forum has there own general rules and way they do things

    Sig&Av by Kuro

    Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

    PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

  20. Likes Metal King Slime likes this post
  21. #16
    overstepping the mark
    -Shafty-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Age
    40
    Posts
    8,448
    Rep Power
    133
    Points
    39,582 (10,700 Banked)
    Items User name style
    1. Depends who you are and how awesome you are.

    *pro-tip* ; don't be so touchy on the internet.

    (do i insert a snicker here just to clarify the unseriousness of this post?)

    $#@! it, here it is



    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

  22. #17
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    "So when they make another comment like that, it's nothing bad?"

    Anyways...
    I still didn't say you said nothing was bad. I didn't even post that you thought nothing was bad.

    I am talking about the second time it was posted, hence the reason I brought up the emoticons because the first time he didn't and no one could tell if he was being serious. So it was a humorous but ultimately lame post.
    Now I do agree at the least it's inappropriate.

    No, it really isn't. If someone's self-esteem is so low that they commit suicide because they can't differentiate between something that's serious and something that isn't no one here will be held responsible.
    Okay, if that's the forum's stance then that's just the forum's stance.

    Please link me to the thread, The Black Wolf.
    The thread is locked and the posts deleted. Why do you want a link?

    I know this is a totally different forum, but I was trying to understand and get a feel for the rules being enforced because it's a bit confusing.

    I got my answer, whether it was good answers or bad answers or the answers I didn't expect to hear.

    Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

  23. #18
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,744
    Rep Power
    134
    Points
    3,462,332 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I will drop my 2 cents in here as well.

    The rules in forums have exactly two ways they can be handled. Either we infract people blindly for each and every post that even remotely breaks a rule, thus taking out the human element and turning us into other sites (like N4g) OR we can let our mod teams use their judgement and apply rules as needed.

    We have always let the human element in on this. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It all comes down to how that staffer is feeling that day.

    Some days I would ban a member at a whim because what they did was so A. stupid or B. a repeat offense. Other days, I would do as you have seen, issue a warning or send a PM letting that person know they are treading a thin line.

    What is really important for members to know is that staff has a large forum where they discuss infractions and bans. Often, we discuss a report and decide nothing is to be done. You, as a reported may or may not see the outcome because it was all handled within our forums. Some have asked us to PM them about reports, but you can imagine we can't MAKE a staffer do this, as we have no way to check. With all my internet powers on the forum BWAHAHAHAHAHHA, even I cannot see PM's. They are literally private.
    LMAO

  24. Likes Lethal likes this post
  25. #19
    young rich and tasteless
    squirrelbo1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    London
    Age
    23
    Posts
    16,768
    Rep Power
    134
    Points
    16,383 (0 Banked)
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Everything is down to the individual staff member. When I was on it I was always really reluctant to suggest posters receive infractions for offences (because we were still running the points system then) and I knew if they got an infraction for x reason they could be gone for another small misdemeanor which seemed overly harsh to me.

    You have to remember that staff want members on the forum and as such are likely to do all they reasonably can to keep things civil without resorting to bannings.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

    Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

  26. #20
    Forum Sage
    Agriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Age
    35
    Posts
    9,377
    Rep Power
    96
    Points
    13,987 (0 Banked)
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    I still didn't say you said nothing was bad. I didn't even post that you thought nothing was bad.



    Now I do agree at the least it's inappropriate.



    Okay, if that's the forum's stance then that's just the forum's stance.



    The thread is locked and the posts deleted. Why do you want a link?

    I know this is a totally different forum, but I was trying to understand and get a feel for the rules being enforced because it's a bit confusing.

    I got my answer, whether it was good answers or bad answers or the answers I didn't expect to hear.
    I think you should look at the report system like this, its a suggestion box, and thats it. You can report people all day long and we might not infraction any of them. The reason being that we don't always agree with what you say. You might see something that you think is offensive, and in turn I might see your reports as being overly sensitive about a subject.

    I don't think we want a system in place where every tiny action is put under a microscope and over analyzed, that sucks and its completely pointless. I personally would rather one person get away with some stupid small troll post, then anyone get in trouble over basically nothing.

    On the subject of people on this forum that might take their life over a forums post that was insulting. No offence but if a person kills them self over something they read on a gaming forum, then there are thing far more wrong in their life then being overly sensitive to an insult. Most likely they have suffered far worse in their life if things have come to that point. And while we wish the very best for ever single member on this forum, we are still just normal people and do not have the ability to control what every single member posts at any given time.
    Last edited by Agriel; 09-04-2012 at 12:18.


  27. Likes -Shafty- , Metal King Slime likes this post
  28. #21
    Forum Elder
    RaY_210's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,685
    Rep Power
    43
    Points
    30,647 (0 Banked)
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    Quote Originally Posted by x6Teen View Post
    inb4 the 'list'
    *is curious about this "list".
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

  29. #22
    Forum Sage
    DeviousOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Orlando FL
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,551
    Rep Power
    69
    Points
    61,675 (1,943 Banked)
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by RaY_210 View Post
    *is curious about this "list".
    You want the list? YOU CANT HANDLE THE LIST!!! Lol

    I personally don't see a problem the way the team handles its moderation. They allow things to play out and if it gets outta hand like it has they will step in. Like a previous member said they allow you to choose your own fate.

    When I report its always just spam I see from spambots there has been maybe one time I reported a member in a thread that got outta control most of the time Ill just address the member directly.

    People just need to understand the rules and not be sensitive.

    ~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

  30. Likes Lethal likes this post
  31. #23
    Super Moderator
    Lethal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Age
    34
    Posts
    11,540
    Rep Power
    144
    Points
    81,716 (0 Banked)
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    We have rules? Oh crap, someone has been slacking......

  32. #24
    Forum Guru
    -Dj-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Age
    24
    Posts
    3,630
    Rep Power
    73
    Points
    80,960 (302,302 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    It's simple. For every report, we secretly ask F34R what to do.

    But now that he's supposedly gone, we'll just have to ask ourselves WWFD.....What Would F34R Do?
    banned everyone?



  33. #25
    Forum Sage
    DeviousOne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Orlando FL
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Age
    31
    Posts
    9,551
    Rep Power
    69
    Points
    61,675 (1,943 Banked)
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by djpenny View Post
    banned everyone?
    We have a thread for that and I'm banned there =( lol

    ~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.