Selected Members Council
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Insomniac: "Interest certainly hasn't waned for Ratchet"

Ratchet & Clank and Resistance developer Insomniac Games is in something of a transitional phase. It's done making Resistance games, it's got a new IP on the way with the just barely announced Fuse - formerly called Overstrike - and it just recently released its first Facebook game Outernauts.

"Moving forward we are only working on IP that we own," said a rep for the studio at PAX Prime. Yet there's one franchise Insomniac hasn't let go despite having worked on it for over a decade and that's Ratchet & Clank, with it another title Q-Force - or Full Frontal Assault as it's known outside of Europe - on the way.

We caught up with Insomniac co-founder and CEO Ted Price to gather his thoughts on iterating a series with 10 titles to its name.

First off, Price believes the series still garners a lot of attention.

"We never know exactly how or when interest will wane in any particular franchise that we do. So far interest certainly hasn't waned in Ratchet," he said. "And for us it's still an incredibly fun franchise to build."

An Insomniac rep interjected, "I'd say our fanbase is most passionate about Ratchet."

I then asked Price if the later Ratchet games have been just as successful as the early ones.

"They're doing really well," Price said. "The challenge is how do you equate that in an industry that's so different now than when we started building Ratchet games? When we started building Ratchet games we had one console that dominated everybody. Today the industry is spread out in terms of the platforms that are available."

According to Price, the secret to keeping a franchise alive is having a diverse enough move set that one can craft new types of gameplay within its perimeters.

"Ratchet started as a kitchen sink game where we'd do a ton of different things in terms of mechanics, in terms of mini-games. It's just a plethora of stuff that's been shoved together. And we've become better at narrowing the focus for the Ratchet games over the years. I think it will always be a game that is about multiple mechanics."

Price is using the series' elastic rule set - and preposterous guns - to bring a new emphasis on tower defense to the upcoming Ratchet and Clank: Q-Force.

"As a studio I believe we are getting better at focusing early on what will make a game great," said Price. "With Ratchet: Full Frontal Assault it's about the move back to original Ratchet mechanics but then providing something different in the context of this tower defense."

Price made it clear that this is Q-Force's most defining mechanic and a lot of attention was given to bolstering this gameplay mode rather than spreading the experience too thin by trying lots of experiments. "It would be easy to get distracted putting a hoverboot track in the game or do space combat or something that has nothing to do with making an awesome tower-defense game combined with Ratchet's original mechanics. That would be a mistake."

Looking past Ratchet, Price said he'd like to spin Insomniac's upcoming IPs - Outernauts and Fuse - into full series as well. "When we come up with a new game we'll most likely be making sequels for it," he stated.

"We love building franchises. So part of creating a franchise is once you've established your first game you want to continue making games for those fans who love it."
    via Eurogamer.

I've always liked the series. Fuse doesn't really interest me right now.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Ratchet is timeless. Such an awesome mix of character, art style and of course the guns and the addictive leveling of them.

El Presidente
    I haven't played R&C in a while now. I loved the first three on ps2 but Tools of destruction just didn't grab me. Personally my interest in the series has waned. And a tower defense kind of game now? It sparks no interest with me.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    I hope they don't put less effort and focus into R&C just because they would have to make is PS-only.

A Crack in Time has been sitting on my shelf waiting to be played. However, it's now joined by the Jak and Daxter collection also waiting to be played.

I am really looking forward to this game, i spent a lot of time playing ratchet and clank in my ps2 days.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    looking forward to this!!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    imINxile
    Couldn't really judge by the article, but who owns the R&C IP? Insomniac or Sony? I'm guessing by Shibby's post its Sony..

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    I thought it was a Insomanic IP?

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    I thought it was a Insomanic IP?
    I believe Sony owns the Ratchet and Clank name via their previous publishing deal.

Similar to how Microsoft owns the Halo name even though Bungie is now a multiplatform studio.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AcesHigh291
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    I believe Sony owns the Ratchet and Clank name via their previous publishing deal.

Similar to how Microsoft owns the Halo name even though Bungie is now a multiplatform studio.
    That's exactly how it is, Sony owns the IP, I would assume Insomniac has free reign to make Ratchet games though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Follow me on Twitter @AcesHigh291

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    I've loved Ratchet since the first game and have bought every game and spin off since (minus PS Move heroes haha)

I'm one of those people that say "nothing should last forever, everything should come to an end at some stage Im sck of sequels blah blah" but Ratchet will always be awesome, as long as they don't make releases TOO frequent (which they really aren't) and keep a high quality. The ones that were weakest imo were Secret Agent Clank and All 4 One. Still great games though

Thread Information