Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Sony avoids PSP's mistake by encouraging fewer home console ports

The main draw of the PSP, the big promise that was meant to separate it from Nintendo's portables and pull users away from the underpowered Nintendo DS, was that Sony's handheld could deliver console-like experiences on the go.

PSP's console-quality experiences, though, weren't enough to propel the system to the same heights as its competitors in the West -- so why hasn't Sony adjusted its strategy for its new portable, in light of PSP's past difficulties and PS Vita's current struggles?

Sony's marketing VP for handhelds and consoles John Koller admits that PS Vita's message of "console-like games on portables" is essentially the same as PSP's, but argues that there was a significant problem with how developers approached that idea before.

"The issue that happened with PSP is we got overrun with ports," he explains to Gamasutra. "It became very difficult for us to define what made PSP unique. The content development became a bit unstructured or decentralized, in that we got a lot of content that was on PlayStation 2 and got thrown over to the handheld."

Koller believes Sony learned its lesson with that problem on PSP and is actively taking steps to avoid repeating that mistake on PS Vita. He says portable content "isn't something consumers play because they've left the living room. It's something that [needs to be] unique, and defines the Vita experience."

A lot of PS Vita's early catalog has so far been made up of console ports -- which may have contributed to the troubles Sony has faced with building momentum for the system so far -- but now the company is strongly recommending against and guiding publishers away from ports.

Koller points to a couple upcoming PS Vita exclusives that are unique interpretations of popular console franchises, and says that Sony tells publishers to "Follow what Ubisoft is doing with Assassin's Creed. Follow what Activision is doing with Call of Duty."

With that approach in mind, Koller says, "The messaging is similar [between PSP and PS Vita], but I think the output is going to be quite different."
    via Gamasutra.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    That's exactly what they need VITA online titles!!! 3ds has their own exclusive titles not ports...

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I've always said that Vita needs to have more Vita exclusives. PSP had almost nothing but console ports.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Items NintendoFirefox LogoPSN LogoWii BlackPaper MarioWiiUGran Turismo 53DSPS3 Slim
    Whoever makes decisions for software for the vita needs to be FIRED! Seriously this is obviously $#@! they shouldve known!

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Ultimate Veteran
    The Vita just needs more unique IPs to look forward to playing, like Tearaway. Assassin's Creed III: Liberation and Call of Duty: Black Ops: Declassified won't necessarily stop people from buying the home console counterparts.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    I don't know I guess I'm used to the Nintendo way of things. Their portable console always have games exclusive to that portable console. They do port on their systems however like with the 3ds it didn't start picking up steam till Mario 3d land and mario kart 7 two exclusives only found on the 3ds more recently KH and KI: uprising boosted sales as well they just release nsmb2 and have Paper Mario coming in november which I'm looking forward too. Vita needs soft that's exclusive to vita I've always felt that a portable console can not replicate a home console.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Isn't that what Sony's kinda doing themselves? They aren't ported but just prequels and spinoffs, they need exclusive handheld IPs.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Nothing wrong at all with the PSP games lineup. Period.

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    I bought my psp for console ports lol

Thank you itachi

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Isn't that what Sony's kinda doing themselves? They aren't ported but just prequels and spinoffs, they need exclusive handheld IPs.
    Exactly! It can't all be console ports while some gamers may want that (nothing wrong at all) sony kinda shoots itself in the foot with it.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Nothing wrong at all with the PSP games lineup. Period.
    Indeed man. So many people nagging about the damn PSP lineup. I have one and I can say it had some of the best new IPs I've played, be that on a home or portable console, so the whole "PSP was all ports" is as much bull$#@! as it gets.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Extreme Poster
    Yea, one of the reasons I've always liked Nintendo handhelds...unique games.

Sony needs to attract different developers for their handhelds so it's a more unique experience.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    I hope this becomes true. We needs less Killzone (not to say its a bad game) spin offs and more games like Gravity Rush and Tearaway... games to make the platform unique

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Yea, one of the reasons I've always liked Nintendo handhelds...unique games.

Sony needs to attract different developers for their handhelds so it's a more unique experience.
    I dont really buy any Nintendo games, pokemon is only reason I have a 3DS lol, but for Vita I cant wait to have all stars for ps3 and vita so when im out I can keep playing it.

Thank you itachi

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Seeing as it's piss easy for devs to port games over, I have NO issue with it getting ports especially if cross buy is implemented. The whole idea of taking your game with you is awesome. However, all things in balance, new IPs are Vitally important and necessary to give gamers a unique reason to buy and support the portable.

I also don't agree with "PSP was all ports" notion. It had a fine line up, as F34R and others have said.

16. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    I dont really buy any Nintendo games, pokemon is only reason I have a 3DS lol, but for Vita I cant wait to have all stars for ps3 and vita so when im out I can keep playing it.
    I tried getting into Pokemon...just not my thing. heh.

but yea, as you're saying and Ghost is saying as well, I like the idea of having two versions of the same game (especially how they're doing it now where it's the same game)...it's very interesting.

Though, not being into handhelds much, I'd like to see them do more to capture my interest.

Elite Guru
    PSP had a great lineup, especially Role Playing Games.

If good (emphasis on good!) ports (or multi-platform) make it across, I'll be quite happy. Though obviously I'd be looking for a good portion of Vita specific titles.

Obligatory Tapatalk Signature

19. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Nothing wrong with port however vita needs to expand it target market. We already know sony is gonna provide great games for most gamers on these forums however they need to reach a broader group with causal games and exclusive IP's for the vita.

I feel sometime with sony they are just the stubborn old man that stays in his ways even if it hurts them lol

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Sometimes ports are good. Rayman Origins is an example of a good port. Lego Batman 2 is a bad crappy $#@! port. The PSP always got the $#@! ports too.

Good ports along side with new games made specifically for the Vita is what it needs. There needs to be a reason for people to buy the Vita. It is pointless for the Vita to have the same games as everything else. Sony needs to make sure that if you want to play "THIS" game, you must own the Vita.

Gravity Rush and AC3: Liberation are great examples.

22. Likes Thorzilla, DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    The ac3 bundle should def move a lot of vita this holiday season for sure.

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

Quote Originally Posted by DeviousOne View Post
    That's exactly what they need VITA online titles!!! 3ds has their own exclusive titles not ports...
    3ds is a good console i guess,it could be much better though!If i were 10 years younger(12) i would choose 3ds over Vita but this comparison is pointless!Tired of playing kiddie games!

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by maniche7 View Post
    3ds is a good console i guess,it could be much better though!If i were 10 years younger(12) i would choose 3ds over Vita but this comparison is pointless!Tired of playing kiddie games!
    I have it and its got amazing games as well. Hell, Resident Evil Mercenaries and Revelations are mature and freaking brilliant. Super Smash Bros and other games will make it even more awesome in the near future too. All 3DS needed was time so software could get there, and that's exactly what Vita needs. Give it a few more months and then we'll talk about this subject again!
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    DeviousOnePSU
    Remember that price slash for the 3ds was a big part as well as the content.

Vita is gonna need some great bundles since they will not come down on the price of the console

~~~OLD SKOOL~~~

PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    But isn't every game SCEA making for Vita also on PS3?

28. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Superior Member

If the ports are all crossplay/crossbuy promotions count me in.....some games like RPGs, Racers, and Sports titles set up for this...but exclusive content will be needed to really SELL the handheld. Sony will be responsible for pushing innovative games just as Nintendo does for their handheld. I look at developers like EA, Activision, Capcom, and Konami and I know we won't see anything innovative coming from them. They will push old IPs and HD releases....it will be up to Sony to push the platform forward and find smart innovative independent developers to set it apart.

Thread Information