Latest PSU headlines:

PSN ID
    rikboone87

Silent Hill on PS Store

Hey. I'm trying to play through all of the Silent Hill games again. I am just wondering how the original Silent Hill from the store holds up now a days? Will it upscale ok to a 32" HD TV?
    Thanks

Superior Member
    It's playable, however IIRC (its been quite a while) it did not take up my entire screen, I have a 52 inch HDTV. It was centered on the screen and wasn't formatted to fit it. I didn't mind though, still a great game.

PSN ID
    berndogskate
    Yeah this is true, be good if they implement the same as the vita for ps1 games on the ps3 widescreen support, come on do it sony! and filtering,

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I have no issues replaying PS1 games on my 32", some people can't seem to accept it though.

SH1 is the best IMO though.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Superior Member
    Agree, still my fav Silent Hill of the series. I played it on my 55" Sony Bravia and scaled ok though the graphics are a little chunky on something that big, 32" would def be better.

It would be awesome if they did a HD version of this but will prob never happen

Superior Member
    They would need to remake the game from the ground up. Actually, I would love if they did that. Kind of like what Capcom did with the first Resident Evil. Shattered Memories was a reimagining, I would much rather have seen an exact remake that is more true to the original.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    It's a bit clunky, but still the best Silent Hill game. It may take your eyes to get adjusted for a little bit, but ps1 games since they are not widescreen, center on your set. Unless you change the option to stretch the image (not recommended).

Superior Member
    i wont be playing it, that game scared the life out of me !

Master Guru
    I still have my original copy of Silent Hill and i tried playing it on my PS3 and HDTV not long ago. It's playable but it just looks so bad these days.

Still a great game worth playing any way possible though.

Apprentice

It won't upscale, you would have to stretch it. But its such a good game that it is worth it to play in its 4/3 format. The game is dripping with atmosphere. Reading this thread makes me want to play it again.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    it doesn't upscale because it's not an HD remake. But it's basically the same as playing a PS1 copy on PS.

All you need to do to get fullscreen is to enter options and enable "fullscreen", or just have it automatically enabled through the ps3 video options.

PSN ID
    sektoderselters9
    It doesn't upscale because Sony never implemented this in their PSone emulator. However you can upscale the game using an emulator like epsxe.

Apprentice

It's very pixelated on my tv and I game on a 32" TV. It's the only PS1 classic game that's like that for me. I own Resident Evil 1, Resident Evil 2 and Resident evil 3, and all of them look fine. It's a damn good game BTW.
    Last edited by PSTrey; 09-15-2012 at 09:36.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PSTrey View Post
    It's very pixelated on my tv and I game on a 32" TV. It's the only PS1 classic game that's like that for me. I own Resident Evil 1, Resident Evil 2 and Resident evil 3, and all of them look fine. It's a damn good game BTW.
    Sounds like that may just be the classic SH grain filter.

PSU U.K. Executive Editor and Podcast Host
    Items User name styleLed ZeppelinAssassins Creed Ezio3DSDreamcastNintendo 64Vita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah, it's not great-looking on a HD TV, but in terms of the game itself, it's definitely worth picking up. One of the best horror games of all time, and IMO, second only to Silent Hill 2. Amazing atmosphere even after all these years, great story and a nice blend of puzzles and combat.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=263583&dateline=13663  69798

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    CloudStrife37
    Looks better on a standard definition, but 32" is fine. The atmosphere is so tense. There's much debate among survival horror fans that out of date graphics are much more frightening. Games like Amnesia do this by forcing you not to look at the enemy, but in Silent Hill 1, even when the monsters are directly in your face, you still can't really understand what they are. Nothing is as frightening as the unknown.

Thread Information